Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
My suggestion for Autocross: thoughts

Thread: My suggestion for Autocross: thoughts

My suggestion for Autocross: thoughts

Well, I think a lot of us would like to become "faster" and "smoother" as an autocross driver. I thought it would be a neat "idea" to use one car -- and have MANY drivers take that car and drive it around the autocross course.

Sometimes, it is hard to compare cars against each other since they are set up differently. Thus, if "x" person says stomp brake here; maybe in your car that will not work.

I would be willing to offer my car up for this. I think it would be a good training tool. For instance, JV and Glenn drove my car this past weekend. JV got a 43.9 and glenn got a 44.0. So, very close to each other in times. Plus, if other people drove it, they could see what times the car was capable of getting ... and by driving the same car ... they could see how far behind or how close they would be.

What do you guys think?

p.s. -- making the offer to use my car not for someone to joyride and see how much they can use TOO ... but, more as a training tool ...

I think your tires will overheat.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    I think your tires will overheat.

---Eric
    No. I'd put the other tires on the car instead ... give me some credit. I'm not that stupid to let people eat up my psuedo-rcomps.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    No. I'd put the other tires on the car instead ... give me some credit. I'm not that stupid to let people eat up my psuedo-rcomps.
    Maybe a local dealership would want to loan a few cars out (new 3 series?).

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

I really like the idea, but I feel I'd be in a different world with that much more power/better handling driving your car (assuming it was the silver M3 racecar with "Kearney Racing").

I'm getting better, but jumping from an H-stock 318i to a BSP/SM/whatever car might be a HUGE difference.

Also, the biggest thing that MIGHT contribute to me being hesitant on this is that "it is not my car, someone else owns it" and I don't want to ruin a nice set of Hoosiers/V710s/etc.

We should have used the Red Bull Mini that was there for this purpose.

...For instance, JV and Glenn drove my car this past weekend. JV got a 43.9 and glenn got a 44.0. So, very close to each other in times....
    So...just 'cause I'm slower than JV, my name doesn't deserve an upper-case "G"?

JV uses steroids, which is why he drives like he does. I know it for a fact, because a certain Mr. Canseco told me so.

I've always wanted to know how well I could do in the right car.
    Gary ex-spinmeister
    "Drift it, but don't spin..." Tanner Foust, Fed Ex 10/29/06

I would be willing to offer my car up for this. I think it would be a good training tool. What do you guys think?
    I think this is a great idea. I have considered swapping cars with someone across two heats to see how much of my time is my car and how much is me. In fact, I had a swap set up with a 325 but then the person who agreed moved and I haven't tried again.

With my 540 competing against 330s, I'd like to blame the car for the big time differences between me and everyone else, but I am pretty sure the driver has something to do with it.

If this idea doesn't work out, and anyone would like to consider such a one-to-one swap, especially if you always wanted to auto-cross a 540, let me know.

David

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Maybe a local dealership would want to loan a few cars out (new 3 series?).

---Eric
    I think it was 1984 the Council put on an autocross with 3 newly introduced cars provided by Tischer of Laurel: an E30 318i, a VW Rabbit GTI, and a Honda Prelude. Everyone got one run in each car. Each car provided the fastest time for some drivers. Some non-autocrossing rallyists came out and turned times in the top 10%. Lots of fun and very interesting results. I think there were 70-some drivers and the street tires on these cars were just about gone by the end of the day.

Anyway, I'll volunteer to drive your car James.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

i'll join in the fun
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I'd be interested too but I don't think I could see out the window Perhaps I could sit on a few phone books or Ken's lap... lol.

Cool idea, though. I think people should try it out.

Other way would be to do a true spec class. Say E30 325i or is. Specific shocks, springs, pads, wheels, tires, etc. Then all the cars would be the same and you could compare how to drive and times.

Oh yeah, I do that on the race course now.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Or we could take a number of cars, and we all take turns going down the list with each person's car to get an idea of how the different cars feel on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    Or we could take a number of cars, and we all take turns going down the list with each person's car to get an idea of how the different cars feel on the course.
    This sounds right to me. But, it would be after regular runs...maybe as fun runs at the end of the day with all participants helping to clean up the course. I have swapped between my e30m and my buddys e36, for some reason I seemed to enter all the corners in the e36 too hot.

Thread Information