Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Why you should wear a helmet support - PCA fatality at the Glenn
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why you should wear a helmet support - PCA fatality at the Glenn

Exclamation Why you should wear a helmet support - PCA fatality at the Glenn

While I've seen many of the more experienced students and most of the instructors wearing helmet support "donuts" or even HANS devices, I've rarely seen novice and first-time students show up with or even show an awareness of them. I'm beginning to think that the club should at least strongly encourage their use by all students. (I don't think mandating their use is necessary, as yet.)

Dan Martin gave me the heads-up on an incident at Watkins Glenn last weekend. During a PCA school, a green group student, who was signed-off ran into a tire wall at ~70mph. While cause of death hasn't been officially determined AFAIK, it appears that he suffered severe neck trauma and no other damage. He wasn't wearing any sort of helmet or neck support... (Read the full post here, in an Audi webforum and more info on a Porsche board.)

Starting at around $30, there's no real excuse for why every driver at an NCCBMWCCA event shouldn't show up wearing one (or something better -- including an SFI 38.1-rated head and neck restraint).

I'd hate to see something like this happen at a BMWCCA event (or any other event, for that matter).
    Last edited by SharkD; 08-04-2005 at 03:59 PM.

This is mostly hearsay, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in it but: The problem with the neck collars is that they don't do anything for neck extension injuries which are more dangerous and more common in motorsport accidents. I don't think they could do any harm though, so for $30 it's probably better than nothing.

Yeah, I agree -- an SFI 38.1 restraint is best, but asking a casual DE student who drives on a tracks 2-3 times a year, at most, to buy an $890 restraint that has to replaced within 2 years and requires a 5-point+ restraint is a bit much...

Banned
    PCA student probably suffered and injury similar to what killed Dale Earnhardt Sr.and their drivers. Many years ago at the Glen early 90's maybe a NASCAr driver died of again a similar injury. PCA has had a couple of fatalities at the Glen over the yers if I remember correctly.

NCC does not mandate Snell SA rated helmets. It should. Along with all natural fibers and no leather shoes or gloves. Will long pants and long sleeve all natural shirts be required for the August school? Is it still a rule?

Most stock seats will not hold up during a severe impact.

Without a 5 or 6pt harness a Hans or similar device in useless because you are probably going to suffer other fatal injuries instead of a broken neck which the Hans prevents. I am trying to remember the medical term for the bone you break. It is a very small one.

And finally drivers' schools are dangerous. You can get hurt or killed. You can be driving at 7/10's and get caught up in someone else's incident or mechanical failure and as a result suffer a critical injury or die. Wrong place wrong time and not your fault. Drivers schools stats on when incidents occur are very interesting. it is scary how predictable these stats are.

Getting up in the morning is dangerous. Sheep herding trials are dangerous.
    Life is boring if there isn't some danger in it.

Dave Apker

I'm more comfortable with a neck collar just because it reduces the weight of the helmet. We do not require long sleeves and long pants. It is suggested, not mandatory. I recall only one incident where a car had some flames underneath from the oil pan being sheared off. I always wear long sleeve shirts out of habit. I am not especially worried about fire. I'm more concerned about debris on the track. Safety is a concern for everyone. An incident can happen anywhere. An accident on the highway can be as horrific and we don't wear helmets and harnesses there. Perhaps we should.

There is an inherent risk in everything we do. All we can do is minimize the risk. Full cages, harnesses and racing buckets is not the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    Life is boring if there isn't some danger in it.
    Not necessarily. When I flew small airplanes any flight that was uneventful was a good flight.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

All I'm asking is that the NCC suggest that students wear a helmet support of some sort in the HPDE paperwork/application, although I do agree with Dave that SA helmets really should be the rule (I thought that they were, but apparently M are okay).

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    All I'm asking is that the NCC suggest that students wear a helmet support of some sort in the HPDE paperwork/application, although I do agree with Dave that SA helmets really should be the rule (I thought that they were, but apparently M are okay).
    The Driving School Steering Committee sets the policy. Any member is free to make suggestions and I appreciate anyone's constructive involvement.

The committee consists of
    • Roy Morris Board Representative
    • Bill Shook Chief Instructor
    • Adil Desai Coordinator
    • Eric Carnell Instructor Representative
    • Doug Bonner Student Representative
    I would suggest speaking with any one of them at the next driving school.
    Some of their email addresses are on the administrative page of the website. I can supply any others you need. If you or anyone would like to attend the next DSSC meeting, I believe it will be in Sept. Lately it has been held in Tyson's Corner. Just contact Roy.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    helmet supports like the ones you pictured in the first post are totally USELESS as safety devices. they are strictly for driver comfort to support the helmet from moving around in normal driving. they are far too soft to provide any restraint at all when faced with accident forces. many are not even sfi fire rated and just make a nice ring of fire around your neck if it gets to that point.

use these neck collars if it helps you drive better, but don't think you are any safer with one...you aren't.

get a proper head and neck restraint. hans are top of the line and require full harness, but there are much cheaper solutions that you can use with regular belts.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle
    there are much cheaper solutions that you can use with regular belts.
    i.e., duct tape head to seat

Banned
    Velcro on the helmet and the seat.

helmet supports like the ones you pictured in the first post are totally USELESS as safety devices. they are strictly for driver comfort to support the helmet from moving around in normal driving.
    Marshall, I've never considered the neck collar a support for the helmet. Maybe if someone had a real short neck. However I will continue to believe that it will help in some way in limiting the amount of head movement in an accident.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 08-05-2005 at 12:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

A really sad accident

FYI, read though the threads in the Audi forum, there are some good links to follow up on regarding different restraint devices and discussion as to what should be required at track events. I also remember reading that full-face helmets shouldn't be used if the steering wheel airbag is active.
    - John
    Gaithersburg, MD
    2000 Porsche C2
    1972 BMW 2002tii
    1992 Miata (SCCA SSM)

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3
    helmet supports like the ones you pictured in the first post are totally USELESS as safety devices. they are strictly for driver comfort to support the helmet from moving around in normal driving. Marshall, I've never considered the neck collar a support for the helmet. Maybe if someone had a real short neck. However I will continue to believe that it will help in some way in limiting the amount of head movement in an accident.
    hi woody,
    go to any vendor site for helmet supports (og racing for instance). the description for these things is all about them being comfort devices and driver aids in cornering. nothing about it being a safety device. squeeze the foam. way too soft to be effective in an accident. kinda like the difference between the pool noodle style roll bar padding and the hard sfi stuff. one is nice decoration that prevents bumping your knees getting in and out of the car, the other is designed to actually do something in a wreck.
    -----------------------------
    quotes from og site regarding several different manufacturers.Features: Exclusive high density 'compression spring' foam acts like a shock absorber for the head and neck Helps reduce neck fatigue For all types of racing Removable knit Nomex® sleeve One size with adjustable speedfit fasteners SFI tag included This 360 degree wedge-shaped helmet support offers maximum support during high G-force cornering. Velcro closure; Nomex fabric cover The anatomically designed collar with extended rear support features dual density padding to be firmer where the support meets the base of the helmet, but softer in the chin and rear areas. 360 degree design with Velcro closure at the front.
    ---------
    safety device? nope. if it makes you feel good, go for it! but i would suggest replacing with a real restraint system.
    Last edited by mlytle; 08-05-2005 at 04:39 PM.

The G-force is very spongy. The Simpsons are a bit firmer. I feel uncomfortable when I'm not wearing the collar. I don't think it will do much for me in the event of an impact but I do feel it reduces the weight of the helmet.

There was a time I wanted a roll bar. Now you guys make me want a cage!
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Well, I run with a Simpson donut right now (ever since and including my 1st school last year), I don't expect it to save my life in a Dale Ernhardt style wreck, but I do think it can lessen the severity of a non-fatal injury. I think the reason that O.G. and the like don't sell them as "safety" devices is that they are less than likely to save your neck (literally) in a severe wreck.

Next year, rumor has it that NASA is going to require a 38.1-rated head and neck restraint... If so, then I've got to get some sort of heavy-duty system before I start SpecE30, but I don't like the fact that the HANS device ties you into the harness and the ISAAC system looks unwieldy. GForce's system looks reasonable, except that I don't like the GForce helmets I've tried... and even the R3 system, that it looks like I'm going to end up buying is really damned expensive (high demand, low-supply and mandated use are leading to $1,000+ devices that have to be replaced every two years -- seriously, who said performce driving was expensive?).

I don't think that the average B or C group student would/should be expected to drop $3500+ to heavily modify their car, drop in race seats, a harness, a roll/harness bar and a H&NR system. But suggesting that they try something that will at the least, limit the movement of their head/helmet in a minor-medium impact can't be a bad thing... I'll bring it up to Bill or Adil at Shenandoah.

Thread Information