Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – March 17, 2015… The BMW X5 xDrive40e, the company’s first plug-in hybrid Sports Activity Vehicle®, charts the next chapter of BMW’s ongoing EfficientDynamics initiative. Benefitting from the groundbreaking work by BMW i on electromobility, the X5 xDrive40e combines the company’s award-winning 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder engine with an electric motor, powered by a lithium-ion battery, integrated into its 8-speed automatic transmission. This newest BMW SAV can travel approximately 13 miles on pure electric power, ideally suited to short commutes and quick trips around town. Working in concert, the gasoline engine and electric motor puts out 308 horsepower and produces 332 lb-ft, enough to propel the X5 xDrive40e from 0-60mph in just 6.5 seconds. As the name implies, it features BMW xDrive, the company’s intelligent all-wheel-drive system, for optimal stability and traction under all circumstances and road conditions. Early preliminary estimates put US EPA mileage estimates at 55 MPGe. The 2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e will arrive in US showrooms in the fall of 2015.
The BMW X5 xDrive40e is the first plug-in hybrid production model from the core BMW brand. It combines the versatility and luxurious ambience of a full-sized Sports Activity Vehicle® with the superb traction offered by the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system, as well as BMW EfficientDynamics eDrive technology for exemplary efficiency.
BMW eDrive technology provides exceptionally efficient performance, as well as the potential for all-electric mobility with zero tailpipe emissions, ushering in a whole new form of driving experience in a Sports Activity Vehicle®. At the same time, the BMW X5 xDrive40e reaps the benefits of the technology and know-how transferred from the debut of the BMW i cars. The BMW i8 blazes a trail for seamless blending of sustainability and The Ultimate Driving Machine™ driving thanks to plug-in hybrid drive power. These traits can now be enjoyed in a model from the core BMW brand.
Download the entire newsletter.

More...