Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Need loaner wheels/tires for comparo,87 535

Thread: Need loaner wheels/tires for comparo,87 535

Need loaner wheels/tires for comparo,87 535

Here's the sob story. I bought an 87 535is that had 528e rims on it. Had just enough money to get cheap 16x7 rims with Kumho 711 225/50's. Immediate front end shimmy/vibration. The rims are not hub centric, but Just Tires swore they would work fine. After playing around with wheel to hub alignment , the shimmy was acceptable. However, went to Shenandoah NASA event, car handled like a bus on hard tires. Bought 18mm wheel spacers, car handles much better, but shimmy/vibration is much worse. Before ponying up $800 for good rims, or replacing every possible suspension component that might be a problem, I would like to fit known good rims and tires of the same size or close to it, just for a half hour test to confirm or refute my suspicions. Just to be clear, this is the cars condition right now: new center link, idler arm, steering arm ball joint, Bilstein sport shocks, HR springs, and all else has been declared fit by a known BMW mechanic/
    If anyone can help, I am in Fredericksburg, Va., will travel, buy lunch.

711's S#$%. I have a new set on Kosei K1's with aluminium hubcentric rings and I get shakes now too. I had BBS RZ's in the same size tire configuration and no vibrations so I'm going to say it's the $51 tire.

Thanks for the feedback

Banned
    Not all shimmy or vibration that seems to becoming from the front tires is tire/wheel or suspension related. It can be drivetrain related and often is a sign the driveshaft is going.

That's very true, I was just commenting on my crappy Kumho experiance. Never buy a second tire is a good rule of thumb.

Banned
    That is also why I will only buy tires made by certain manufactures ie Yokohama, Michelin, Toyo, Vredstein and Pirelli. Will not buy BF Goodrich, Firestones, Goodyear and Bridgestones because of bad experiences or they just aren't worth the money.

Another thing to consider is that not all of the tire shops do a good job of balancing the wheel and tire. I have had issues in the past where the tech that did the balancing was in a hurry and only got it "close", which is probably fine for your grandma's Buick, but not for a car set up to give you lots of feedback through the steering wheel.

As far as the tire manufacturers go, I have had the best luck with Pirelli and Michelin. Dunlop and Yokos have done O.K. and are not very expensive but usually need more frequent balancing to keep them vibration free. I have had bad experiences with Goodyear and BF Goodrich.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Thread Information