Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Dreaded Cross Threaded again.who should I go after?

Thread: Dreaded Cross Threaded again.who should I go after?

Dreaded Cross Threaded again.who should I go after?

I had a one cross threaded bolt on my left rear tire sometime back and I was working to get estimates from some places.
    Recently I gave my car for alignment to Merchant's Tire and then to Costco for Wheel Balancing/Rotation. When I went to pick up my car at Costco, they tell me that two bots on left front have been cross threaded. Obviously they tell me they did not do it but someone did. Now I don't know who did it, Costco or Merchants! And its going to costco me over $1000-$1500 to get it fixed! Bimmer dealership told me that it shall cost me $675 to get one cross threaded wheel hub/bolt replaced.
    What can I do? Go after one or both? This car with same thing happening to two wheels in last 3 months is killing me! Any advices?

There is no reason to remove the wheels to do an alignment so I don't know what that has to do with anything.

You say this has happened before? Did you check all the studs after noticing it the first time? How do you know this wasn't done long ago? Does this same shop always work on the car? Are they who noticed the issue when it happened in the past?

I did not know that the wheel does not come off while alignment. Guess I should call Merchants and find out first. Am still trying to follow up with costo. filed a incident claim with them..hope that does not take a lot of time..

Banned
    He is correct tires stay on during an alignment.No reason to remove. WHy would you remove tires?

Why would you go to COSTCO? Low prices usually result in things like cross threaded bolts etc. And Merchant's tire is not much better.

A good alignment properely done is going to cost money. You dont want to shop price because it can cost you a set of tires. A good alignment involves a hour to 2 hours of book labor. A good tire alignment machine runs $20k and up.

Did Merchant's add weight to car? Ie to approximate your weight?

I always check the torque and retorque the bolts after returning from getting tires. Even Radial Tire. And Radial Tire has always been spot on over the last 18 years.

-Went to costco as I bought tires there few months back and wanted to get balancing/rotation.
    - have no idea what merchant's did..to be frank.
    I am not very technical in terms of car talk..just a plain guy who likes my bimmer..and who is now looking to get it fixed and seeking advice...damage has been done and want to make sure I do it right now and going forward.

- have filed a report with costco but have not heard back
    - trying to get estimates for repairing (or replacing hub on both front and rear tires) in DC Area

Feel lousy that damage has been caused and I was not responsible..and might have to pay for it...unless I can have costco pay for it....wil continue to fight that...

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by saurabm
    -Went to costco as I bought tires there few months back and wanted to get balancing/rotation.
    - have no idea what merchant's did..to be frank.
    I am not very technical in terms of car talk..just a plain guy who likes my bimmer..and who is now looking to get it fixed and seeking advice...damage has been done and want to make sure I do it right now and going forward.

- have filed a report with costco but have not heard back
    - trying to get estimates for repairing (or replacing hub on both front and rear tires) in DC Area

Feel lousy that damage has been caused and I was not responsible..and might have to pay for it...unless I can have costco pay for it....wil continue to fight that...

Any advice?
    For one, don't pay the dealer to do your hubs.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Any advice?
    I'd say your best bet to is to tell us where you live and hope someone from your area can recommend a decent mechanic.

As far as the hub issues....if Costco is the only place to have removed the wheels then be FIRM in getting them to cover the repairs. That sort of damage doesn't just happen on it's own.

Banned
    Costco probably started the bolts with a gun instead of starting them by hand.

I think your SOL unless you have a good attorney or are one.

- I live in Sterling, VA
    - I am working with Costco on this issue and do see some light at the end of the tunnel
    - Need to make a decision today as to where to get the car fixed. Curry Auto is the same price as BMW dealer...so not sure whats the benefit to go with them...Anyone else..in VA?

- I live in Sterling, VA
    - I am working with Costco on this issue and do see some light at the end of the tunnel
    - Need to make a decision today as to where to get the car fixed. Curry Auto is the same price as BMW dealer...so not sure whats the benefit to go with them...Anyone else..in VA?
    Give the guys at RRT a call. I believe their labor rate is a little less. www.roadracetech.com

Is your car still under new car warranty? I know this particular instance isn't covered, but hypothetically speaking, should something go wrong in the future as a result of the repair, who would cover that repair? Would that fall under new car warranty or normal xxTime/xxDistance warranty a shop typically provides? That might dictate who performs the repair.

Ok..here is the update. Costco agreed to pay for the repair. Now I gave the car to a BMW dealership for estimate and repair. Guy from dealership called me today and told me that he was able to re-tap all the 4 threads without a problem.
    I was certainly was skeptical since I had heard that hub NEEDS and SHOULD be replaced coz of many reasons and I told him so. He swears that I would have done the same thing it were his or his mother's car...so trust him..should I? Is re-tap fine in that case?
    I want to be sure before picking up the car..please reply

Thread Information