Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Cordless Impact Wrench recommendations?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Impact Wrench recommendations?

Question Cordless Impact Wrench recommendations?

Now that I'm starting to get serious about AutoX and Drivers' Schools, I've realized that I really need an impact wrench. (Hand torquing 16 lugs 4 times a day just isn't reasonable.)

What would you guys and gals recommend for a cordless impact wrench? (Make, model and/or any tips.)

Thanks.

I use the Span-On 12v CT350 with a 14.4v battery.
    The 12v battery doesn't always break the lugs loose for me so I bought the 14.4.
    There is a CT3450 that uses the 14.4v battery.
    If I had to do it over again I'd probably look at the 18v Dewalt.
    Aside form it being larger I feel it broke lugs much easier.
    Just don't tighten the bolts all the way down since it will probably crank them more than 85#.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I'm pretty sure you can the Milwaukee or Craftsman much cheaper than the SnapOn.

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    I'm pretty sure you can the Milwaukee or Craftsman much cheaper than the SnapOn.
    True, but he's talking about the SpanOn.

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

Question

Okay, I found two 18v DeWalt wrenches for the same price:

Is one underpowered/overkill? Anyone have any experience with either? Thanks.
    Last edited by SharkD; 07-18-2005 at 12:01 AM.

The top one might not have enough power to break really stubborn lugs.

The bottom one has the fixed speed trigger, which for me is a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    The top one might not have enough power to break really stubborn lugs.

The bottom one has the fixed speed trigger, which for me is a deal breaker.
    Make sure to get variable speed. I have an 18V Craftsman and it's good. FWIW, most of them, including Craftsman, DeWalt, Milwaukee are made by Black and Decker.

-- Jason

How about the Milwaukee 9079 - 240 ft-lbs, variable speed
    ?

Anyone used this model?

Yes, a few guys on Roadfly have it and like it. Comes with a case and two batteries.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45461

-- Jason

Yeah, that one is nice....but HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    How about the Milwaukee 9079 - 240 ft-lbs, variable speed
    ?

Anyone used this model?
    I have that one. I would give it an 8 out of 10. Lots of torque, variable speed trigger, electric brake and five year warranty. However, the unit is pretty large and very heavy, though it doesn't feel so bad once you start using it, and the battery life could be better. It does come with an extra battery, so that mitigates that issue.

If you plan on using it underneath the car, etc., I would get something smaller, but it works great for tire changes.

I've got that same Milwaukee. Like others have mentioned, it's powerful but seems kinda short on battery life. It's also kind of large.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

Hmmm... okay, I've spent some quality time with Google and talking to a friend of mine who took an automotive mechanics' class at Montgomery Co. Comm. Coll. (he's a bit of a shade-tree mechanic on the weekends).

I think what I'm going to do is buy the 300 ft-lb DeWalt DW059 and use it only to remove lug nuts, and get a speeder handle and use that in concert with my torque wrenches to attach the lugs.

Is that a reasonable method? Speak within the next 6 hours or forever hold your peace.

(BTW, thanks for all the help and advice.)

What's a speeder handle?

Alternatively, get a (snap-on if you like) torque stick and a craftsman gun. my battery seems to last forever. I don't think you need a super-powerful gun, I think any 18V should do the job. But I wouln't get a non-variable speed one. Although Bud uses DeWalt without any issues with wheel studs. :dunno

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    What's a speeder handle?

Alternatively, get a (snap-on if you like) torque stick and a craftsman gun. my battery seems to last forever. I don't think you need a super-powerful gun, I think any 18V should do the job. But I wouln't get a non-variable speed one. Although Bud uses DeWalt without any issues with wheel studs. :dunno
    I'm running Ireland Engineering racing studs and I figure that as long as the gun is only used in reverse, it doesn't matter if it hits the max torque. (TorqueSticks can't be used when reversing a nut.)

Thread Information