Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
FYI: 'Top Gear' now on Discovery channel

Thread: FYI: 'Top Gear' now on Discovery channel

Talking FYI: 'Top Gear' now on Discovery channel

Last night I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the Discovery Channel is now broadcasting (slightly delayed) episodes of the BBC's Top Gear.

Although similar to Channel 5's 5th Gear (neé Top Gear, before the original incarnation was cancelled by the BBC in 2001), which can seen stateside on Speed Channel, Top Gear has the edge in reviews that do not beat around the bush, and are generally filled with a bit more wry British sarcasm.

--

However, 5th Gear does have a special place in my heart - follow this link to find out why. (Quicktime Required -- and no, it's not Vicki Butler-Henderson, nor do I endorse their endorsement of the 4 speed ZF slushbox)

--

Either way, I find both shows much more entertaining, and informative than MotorWeek and (especially) MotorTrend TV.
    Last edited by SharkD; 07-15-2005 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    However, 5th Gear does have a special place in my heart - follow this link to find out why. (Quicktime Required -- and no, it's not Vicki Butler-Henderson, nor do I endorse their endorsement of the 4 speed ZF slushbox)
    Well Vicki DOES have a special place in my heart.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 10-25-2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Exclamation Oh my God, they Killed the Stig! You bastards!

AAARGH!!

Discovery Channel has apparently put Top Gear on indefinite hiatus.

If you're as unhappy about it as I am, please let the bozos in Silver Spring know... http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

BTW, if you're curious as to what Top Gear is like, check out these files courtesy video.Google.com

(including 10 min laps of the Nurbürgring in a Ford Transit diesel panel van, Toyota hatchback soccer and the eyeball-flattening Ariel Atom... and Clarkson's take on the new M5)
    Last edited by SharkD; 10-25-2005 at 09:31 PM.

Speed and BBC America is no longer carrying it also. I sent a nasty gram to Discovery and they said blah.

Angry

Yup, SpeedTV killed 5th Gear, too, but I had no idea that BBC(a) was showing Top Gear

I guess they figure that we don't get enough NASCAR with NBS24/7, NASCAR Nation, NASCAR Winners Circle, Nextel Cup this Week, etc. And we don't have enough reality-car-TV... American Chopper, American Hot Rod, Overhaulin, Chop Cut Rebuilt, Texas Hardtails, Build or Bust, Rides, NOPI Tunervision, Pimp My Ride, Trucks!, etc. UGH

Yes and barely any WRC coverage....Speedvision is sinking fast, I might drop my second tier of Direct TV as I only get it for the F1 and WRC and few other events...Consumer feedback must not help as I have sent in quite a few nasty grams.

BBC America did respond thou. They said that they will talley up the results and determine next years programing.

Jermey Clarkson? He was just in Iraq and was shot at, uninjured...But is not able to drive for 6 months might be part of the problem. His back is injured due to an accident.

Thread Information