Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Rocks and NOVA traffic dont mix

                  
   
  1. #1
    Junior Member bwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Stone Ridge, VA
    Posts
    11

    Rocks and NOVA traffic dont mix

    On my way into work today I heard that dreaded "tink" on my windshield and sure enough there was a nickel size spider web just wanting to grow. By time I got in this morning the chip grew into a 7 inch crack. Not only that a Arlington County Officer pulled me over and gave me a safety warning to have it fixed in 14 days. With the heat the crack is sure to grow. The question I have is should i have any glass company replace my windshield or should i go through one of the local dealers. I have a 01 530i with the autosensing wipes.

    Any thoughts?
    -2001 530i Sport
    -2002 X5 3.0i

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bwiz
    On my way into work today I heard that dreaded "tink" on my windshield and sure enough there was a nickel size spider web just wanting to grow. By time I got in this morning the chip grew into a 7 inch crack. Not only that a Arlington County Officer pulled me over and gave me a safety warning to have it fixed in 14 days. With the heat the crack is sure to grow. The question I have is should i have any glass company replace my windshield or should i go through one of the local dealers. I have a 01 530i with the autosensing wipes.

    Any thoughts?
    When I had a non-repairable chip in my windshield, I just went through my insurance company as they had a contract with a glass repair firm for discounted rates. I was even able to ask for an OEM replacment windshield. All I had to do was pay the comprehensive deductible. Actually, the whole replacement was less than my deductible. There was no impact on the price of my insurance. And they came to my office to do the repair so it really didn't impact me any.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Clifton, VA
    Posts
    570

    Most Glass Companies Suck

    I have had bad experiences with glass companies that do insurance work. Poor fitting windshield, failure to let the window set properely, poor fitting gaskets.
    Most new car dealers use the same glass companies insurance companies do.
    I am lucky that my mechanic does glass work for old and good customers.

  4. #4
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,453
    I used Banner glass. They are all over the place. The location I used in Silver Spring did an excellent job. I don't think it is that difficult to replace windshields if they use the proper gaskets. BMW windshields are just glued into place, at least on my car. As long as they use OE parts whenever possible you will not have a problem. I'd rather have a place that all they do is windshields than a dealer that tries to do everything.

    BTW- I've had 2 windshields replaced since 1990. Both companies did an excellent job.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    180
    I've used Perfection Auto Glass in Sterling twice--once for insurance repair of my E30 windshield, once for out of pocket for a VW Golf. The Golf had rust all around the windshield (it was leaking), and they cleaned it up and fixed it with a properly installed PPG windsheild with no leaks (advised selling the car before the leaks came back, but it died before then anyway.) I know several other people who have used them, some with fleet vehicles that get new windshields about every 2 years due to all the mileage, and they've all been very happy.

    http://www.fairfaxcountywebsite.com/...nAutoGlass.htm
    Perfection Auto Glass
    21600 Cedar Lane
    Suite 101
    Sterling, Virginia 20166
    Phone: 703-709-7773

    Kevin

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Clifton, VA
    Posts
    570
    Actually one of the places I used was Banner Glass in Silver Spring back in 88.
    My insurance company has no problem with my mechanic doing it.

    Worst experience was with the bonded in window on my GTI.

  7. #7
    Junior Member bwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Stone Ridge, VA
    Posts
    11

    Follow up to Windshield Replacement

    Just a follow up. I actually was able to get my windshield repaired fairly quickly. I ended up going with one of my insurance companies preferred windshield replacement companies. I used Allstate Auto Glass in Fairfax and requested OEM glass and they actually went to BMW Fairfax bought the glass and BMW trim kit. No complaints so far.

    In my search for companies, I contacted BMW of Arlington and Fairfax and neither does windshield replacement in house. Actually they both subcontract it out to D.G Glass. Their number is 301-843-1173. I felt pretty comfortable talking to them and one of the first questions the person asked was for the last 7 digits to my VIN so she made sure they had the right glass. Believe it not but some places I called didnt even ask if I had the rain sensing wipers or not...which I do. I would have used D.G. but they were not able to schedule me for two weeks out. By the end of the day my little chip ended up being a crack across my windshield about 18 inches so I wasn't going to wait 2 weeks.
    -2001 530i Sport
    -2002 X5 3.0i

  8. #8
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by bwiz
    Just a follow up. I actually was able to get my windshield repaired fairly quickly.
    That's good to hear. Just let the glue dry and I doubt you will have any problems. For a place that all the door are windshields it got to be a no brainer for them.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  9. #9
    Senior Member SMOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    277
    Guess what happened to my 330i this weekend. My wife was coming home from the mall on Saturday and the minivan in front of her kicked up a rock. It hit the windshield and cracked it. The crack is about 6 inches and growing.

    How much is a new windshield going to dent my wallet?
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

  10. #10
    Senior Member AlfaEric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    N. Potomac, MD
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    Guess what happened to my 330i this weekend. My wife was coming home from the mall on Saturday and the minivan in front of her kicked up a rock. It hit the windshield and cracked it. The crack is about 6 inches and growing.

    How much is a new windshield going to dent my wallet?
    Contact your insurance company. Some of them will actually replace it for free (no deductible or premium adjustment). It's worth a shot.

    ---Eric


    Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    Guess what happened to my 330i this weekend. My wife was coming home from the mall on Saturday and the minivan in front of her kicked up a rock. It hit the windshield and cracked it. The crack is about 6 inches and growing.

    How much is a new windshield going to dent my wallet?
    Get it to a glass shop fast, and they *may* still be able to just repair it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)



  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Contact your insurance company. Some of them will actually replace it for free (no deductible or premium adjustment). It's worth a shot.

    ---Eric
    Be sure and tell your insurance company you want an OEM windshield. I asked for that and got it. Total cost was less than my $250 deductible.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Evil Commonwealth
    Posts
    226
    Sorry to hear Smoody. Try to avoid following cars with big tires, i.e., mine. I can kick up some REALLY BIG rocks with 33" A/T tires. In fact, people dodge stuff on the road ... I run over it and kick it right up to the person following behind me. Jeeps just can't turn that quickly and it's better for me to run right over it than to try and do a swerve manuever.

  14. #14
    Senior Member AlfaEric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    N. Potomac, MD
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    Sorry to hear Smoody. Try to avoid following cars with big tires, i.e., mine. I can kick up some REALLY BIG rocks with 33" A/T tires. In fact, people dodge stuff on the road ... I run over it and kick it right up to the person following behind me. Jeeps just can't turn that quickly and it's better for me to run right over it than to try and do a swerve manuever.
    So, if I follow you... I get rocks/road debris thrown at my car. If you follow me, I'm blinded by your headlights.

    ---Eric


    Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

  15. #15
    Senior Member SMOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    So, if I follow you... I get rocks/road debris thrown at my car. If you follow me, I'm blinded by your headlights.

    ---Eric
    Yes Eric, that is what he is saying. Basically you just need to give him lots of space.

    Thanks for the inputs guys. I will let you know how it works out.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •