Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Track configuration for August school - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Track configuration for August school

That is Jon Felton's E30, correct? He runs all the NASA autoXs down near my college in Richmond. I did not know that he wrecked/totalled his E30. Did that happen at the Shenandoah Circuit?

I'll be working the corners for the first time to learn, to watch closely, and to keep everyone in check.

According to Jon's website, it happened on the Shenandoah in June. (Click the "heidi" link in my post above for more pics, including a great justification for footwell reinforcement.)

Any recommendations of places near Manassas where I could get my car teched?
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

The only shop in Manassas on my list is AutoAdvatange, but I have no info on them, beyond location and shop rate...

If you find any additional shops or info on AutoAdvantage, let me know and I'll update my list.

http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/dc_service_shops.html

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins
    That is Jon Felton's E30, correct? He runs all the NASA autoXs down near my college in Richmond. I did not know that he wrecked/totalled his E30. Did that happen at the Shenandoah Circuit?
    Yes, that was my car and it did happen at Shenandoah with NASA in June. Fifth lap of the first instructor session on Saturday. Mechanical failure... went to turn and the bitch went straight. Luckily I still got it turned enough to broadside the wall instead of head-on (it was the increasing radius right hander onto the "bridge straight" running counterclockwise, wide open in 3rd.)

Heidi is thoroughly bent underneath and mostly parted-out by now. Floorboard / firewall / pedal assembly bent, trans mounts sheared off, motor mounts sheared off, rear subframe tweaked, and more. Luckily her parts will live on... in a half-dozen other tracked E30s.

Shenandoah is a very fun track to drive, but there's not much room for error, not like VIR...

Good luck-

Jon
    804.397.FAST
    www.get-fast.net

Quote Originally Posted by getfast
    Yes, that was my car and it did happen at Shenandoah with NASA in June. Fifth lap of the first instructor session on Saturday. Mechanical failure... went to turn and the bitch went straight. Luckily I still got it turned enough to broadside the wall instead of head-on (it was the increasing radius right hander onto the "bridge straight" running counterclockwise, wide open in 3rd.)

Heidi is thoroughly bent underneath and mostly parted-out by now. Floorboard / firewall / pedal assembly bent, trans mounts sheared off, motor mounts sheared off, rear subframe tweaked, and more. Luckily her parts will live on... in a half-dozen other tracked E30s.

Shenandoah is a very fun track to drive, but there's not much room for error, not like VIR...

Good luck-

Jon
    804.397.FAST
    www.get-fast.net
    That's a shame to hear and I'm glad that you are ok. I'm sure you'll be able to find an adequate replacement if you have not already.

I get back to college in a month, but I was wondering how luck has been finding autoX sites in the Richmond area. It's a shame about the Cloverleaf site, as I was there when the guy went flying into the curb in the Volvo. As rough as that lot was, it was still one of my favorites.

Chris

Thanks Chris! It's unfortunate but it happens, and I'll be back next season (probably in a late E36 of some flavor.)

As for autox sites around Richmond... click here:

http://www.autocross.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=937

Thanks again,

Jon

That is such bad news... I ran an event at Manchester with VMSC. Although I thought the lot was small and we did 3 laps of the lot during that autoX, it was still fun.

When I get back down there next month, I'll keep an eye out for locations. I really hope that sites can be found.

Chris

It's all fun regardless, but NASA's known for big lots and fast courses so we're trying to maintain that theme.

I'm checking out a tip this afternoon, supposedly some huge lot near the airport. We'll see how it turns out!

Thanks again and please hit me up when you get back to R'town-

Jon

Guys,
    Drifting (pun intended) a little too far off topic.
    This *was* about the August Shenandoah driving school.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Sorry sorry sorry! How about some in-car from Shenandoah to get things back on topic:

http://www.trackvision.net/videos/Sh...estMay2005.wmv

Discuss.

Jon

Great on-screen data. What does a system like that go for and does it work with a normal digital handycam?
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

As for the track configuration, despite the issues (paving quality/camber/lack of curbing) on the new alternate straight through the pistol grip, eliminating turns 5 & 6 made a huge, positive difference on the second day.

Yeah, I liked the straight better, the chicane is really tight and it flowed better just coming around and hitting the right-straight-right.Going to do it again with Mazda and Porsche Schattenbaum.

Big thanks to Road Race Tech, they finished the base repairs/upgrades to the ti on Fri. at 10 pm.!

Oh and it's fast too, makes a lot of noise. Schrick cam kit, injectors, HFM, cone, rebuilt head, ActiveAutowerke headers.

Funny, under 3500 in 5th, mpg actually goes up, 15 vs 10 mpg at WOT due to the freer breathing , but over 4000 it plummets.
    Last edited by 4WDrift; 08-22-2005 at 08:58 PM.
    Gary ex-spinmeister
    "Drift it, but don't spin..." Tanner Foust, Fed Ex 10/29/06

I found that I was getting better mileage on the Shenandoah vs. VIR & the Jeff. Then again, I was also only putting 55-60 miles on the clock each day, as opposed to 95+ on the other tracks -- Shenandoah is a slow track... thankfully.

Thread Information