Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Modding the garage...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Modding the garage...

Modding the garage...

Well, I wanted to see, if you guys do not mind sharing, pictures of your garage? I am looking for ideas on how to set it up, where to buy items for it, what paint, etc. Plus, I was hoping we could use this thread for future reference and help each other out with tips/suggestions, etc.

I was leaning toward the VCT flooring. It's rumored to be about 60 cents a sq/ft. from HD. They recommend ZEP floor sealer. Has anyone laid this type of tile down? Any pointers for me?

I am thinking black/white tiling in middle -- red splitting down the center and going all around the border edge.

http://www.garagejunkies.net/showthr...light=VCT+tile

http://www.mikesoutpost.com/images/garage/finished.jpg <-- picture of someone's garage with VCT tiling.

In regards to storage, work benches, etc. What are you guys using?

I do not necessarily like the cars; but, I like the garage. I like the red that splits the grey and white in the garage. That's pretty cool. I like the tiling; but, = money.

http://www.garagejunkies.net/showpos...94&postcount=4 <-- oh yeah, is this overkill for lighting?

In a typical 500 sq. ft. garage -- how many lights would be adequate?

Are you sure the flooring will stand up to the use of a jack or jackstands?

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    Are you sure the flooring will stand up to the use of a jack or jackstands?
    No tile will work with jacks stands and jacks.

And more light is better then not enough.

garage options

it all depends on whether your garage will be for show or work. tile looks nice in a show garage, but two-part epoxy paint is the way to go for a work garage.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle
    it all depends on whether your garage will be for show or work. tile looks nice in a show garage, but two-part epoxy paint is the way to go for a work garage.
    Paint that is all one color too. It's fun trying to find dropped screws/nuts/etc on a speckled floor.

The epoxy covering looks difficult to do -- I've been reading about it on: www.garagejunkies.net -- and it looks to be a 12 step process if you want to do it properly without it lifting up.

The guys that have done the VCT -- they say, as long as you are not doing engine hoists/frame-off welding -- the VCT holds up to jack stands pretty damn good. A couple of guys did lifts on their grand cherokee's in the garage and left the cars jacked up for two weeks ... without problems. A couple of other guys have cut out 18"x18" boards ... and when they need to do a jack stand use ... put those over the tiles to protect them with great success.

I am not going to be doing anything near what you do Marshall or JD does. I am more of doing fluids/normal maintenance, detailing, etc.

VCT are the interlocking tiles IIRC?

No matter what, the painted floors are easier to clean up. Any tile you use will mean that you have to pull the tiles up and wash them and then wash the bare concrete floor too.

The VCT is the vinyl tiling from Armstrong. It's not interlocking. You put an adhesive and then layer the tiles next to each other, and then use a sealer/filler. I guess it is used in warehouses, etc ... so, it's pretty durable ... The people are using a sealer so that fluids do not get in between the adhesive to loosen it ...

JD -- have you done the epoxy floor covering. I am just scared b/c it looks pretty involved with some pretty nasty chemicals ... am I allowed to flush those chemicals into the street like that?

The VCT looks more like those asbestos tiles they have in old schools and gov't buildings.

I believe the idea behind the sealer is to prevent spills from seeping through the cracks.

Epoxy floors are great but very difficult to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by bren

Epoxy floors are great but very difficult to get right.
    That's what I am afraid of ... is it because people rush through it? One guy on garage junkies says to properly do it, it will take 3-4 weeks. You need 6-10 days for it to cure once applied. Not to mention doing the moisture test (guess if you fail the moisture test -- epoxy won't work no matter what you do).

You should speak with Pinecone (Terry) about the Epoxy floor.

i have an epoxy floor in my shop. the home depot rustoleum stuff. was pretty easy and has held up to major abuse for 4 years. wash floor with the enclosed acid based cleaner, rinse, squeegy, let dry completely, mix paint, roll it out, let dry, done. longest part of process was waiting for the floor to dry after cleaning. about a day after painting you could walk on it.

the cleaning part was certainly messy, but in no way was it difficult.

Banned

Garage ideas

Do you have enough headroom for a lift? I would install fluoroscent(sic) lights, plumb hard lines for the air compressor with multiple connection points. Hard wire in drop lights also flourescent (sic). The floor I would go commercial. Find something that works at a reasonable cost. Have professional install it. If it works in commercial enviroment it should hold up for years in your garage. If you can afford it 220 volt for the compressor. Nice deep sink for washing up and a parts washer. Nice LCD Sharp TV with true 1920x1080HD 45 diagonal screen, acceptable surround sound system, a fridge for snacks and drinks, maybe a kegerator, microwave, DSL or cable access for laptop. If you are serious you might want to consider a portable AC system for garage and a nice legal heating system. Kerosene heaters are illegal in most jurisdictions and void your homeowners insurance in NOVA. Also open flames working around cars are not a a good idea just like incandenscent(sic) lights.

if you are starting a shop from scratch..
    INSTALL AN IN-FLOOR HEATING SYSTEM IN THE SLAB!

you may think you don't need it, but you will absolutely be swearing at youself if you don't the first winter day you are laying under the car working on it.

even if you don't do the whole system initially, at least lay the relatively cheap tubing in the slab while it is being poured.

Thread Information