PDA

View Full Version : 6/18/2005 Autocross Registration - Open

AlfaEric
05-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Registration is open.

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?autocross_registration

Just select the June date from the event drop down list.

---Eric

white_2kgt
05-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Great! My first event as a BMW CCA member! :)

--chad

SMOODY
05-27-2005, 06:37 AM
I'm bummed. I found out yesterday that I can't make it. :(

My wife seems to think that I need to stay home and help pack just because we are leaving for Disney World the following day. Oh. Well. The sacrifices we make to maintain marital bliss ;)

Dirichlet
05-27-2005, 11:48 AM
^^^^^ pfpfpfpf...
that's bs - pack the night before...
it's all about time management :D

SMOODY
05-27-2005, 01:27 PM
^^^^^ pfpfpfpf...
that's bs - pack the night before...
it's all about time management :DI tried that response. She did not react very well to it. I decided it is not worth getting into trouble about, especially before a vacation.

I should be able to make most of the other autocrosses this season, and hopefully the DE in August (if I manage to not get waitlisted this time).

ob325
05-27-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm bummed. I found out yesterday that I can't make it. :(

My wife seems to think that I need to stay home and help pack just because we are leaving for Disney World the following day. Oh. Well. The sacrifices we make to maintain marital bliss ;)

Disney World in June. That won't be humid. Have fun!

(I'll be in North Florida the weekend before where it will be much, much less humid.)

M-technik-3
05-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Me too can't go yet again, Stupid USAF reserves. Got to go fly to Europe again...old so old. I want to get out on track and all my reserve weekends seem to fall in line with track days or UTA's. explicitive....

Dirichlet
05-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I tried that response. She did not react very well to it. I decided it is not worth getting into trouble about, especially before a vacation.

I should be able to make most of the other autocrosses this season, and hopefully the DE in August (if I manage to not get waitlisted this time).

What I meant was to pack the night before the autox (friday)...
tell her "if we pack two days early, it'll give us more time to remember those little things that are so often forgotten..." ;)
that way her mind will be at ease, and you'll get to beat on your car!!!
Just tryin' to help u out bro - sincerely hoping u can make it

SMOODY
05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
I am not all that thrilled about walking around Orlando in the June heat and humidity, but that is the only time that we can go without pulling the kids out of school.

After 16 years of marriage you learn where you can push back and where you can't. This is one of the places where I will not successfully push back. You all have fun at the Autocross, knock a cone over for me O.K. ;)

I will see you at the July 16 event.

ob325
06-14-2005, 07:25 AM
I am not all that thrilled about walking around Orlando in the June heat and humidity, but that is the only time that we can go without pulling the kids out of school.

I sure hope you have better weather than I did last weekend. Let's see, it started raining about 4 hours after I arrived. It then rained the rest of Friday. Saturday was a complete washout. Oh, and on Sunday, it rained more until about 3pm.

Sunshine state my butt.

SMOODY
06-14-2005, 09:07 AM
I sure hope you have better weather than I did last weekend. Let's see, it started raining about 4 hours after I arrived. It then rained the rest of Friday. Saturday was a complete washout. Oh, and on Sunday, it rained more until about 3pm.

Sunshine state my butt.We are hoping for good weather, but the forecast right now shows a chance of showers just about everyday. We plan to pack rain gear just in case.

tgmeyer
06-15-2005, 08:10 AM
I just saw that the next Auto-X is @<hidden> Bay Sox Stadium, which is right down the road from me. I have a new 330 CiC w/ only 300 miles so I'll see about dropping by to just have a look. Have not Auto-X in years and am looking forward to seeing some action.
Tom

AlfaEric
06-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Registration for this event is closed. I have already sent the registration list to be imported so I cannot make any further changes. If you did not receive an email with your number, you are welcome to show up (early) and try to get a slot from a no-show but I cannot make any guarantees.

edit: Please note that registration for the July event is open.

---Eric

white_2kgt
06-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Good job guys!

http://www.2kgt.com/images/BMWAutocross_2005-06-18/1TrackMap.jpg

http://www.2kgt.com/images/BMWAutocross_2005-06-18/IMG_8074.JPG

http://www.2kgt.com/images/BMWAutocross_2005-06-18/IMG_8079.JPG

http://www.2kgt.com/images/BMWAutocross_2005-06-18/IMG_8091.JPG

There are a few more here,
http://www.2kgt.com/item.php?itemid=129

--chad

tgmeyer
06-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Eric, I understand. I was planning to show up and watch so do I still need to register? Tom

AlfaEric
06-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Eric, I understand. I was planning to show up and watch so do I still need to register? Tom
Sorry Tom, my registration is closed email wasn't really directed at you. I was receiving a flood of emails asking if they were in, if they could switch heats, etc... so I needed to post something somewhere in hopes of cutting down on the number of questions I was getting.

Spectators are welcome at the autocrosses. You don't have to pre-register if you just want to watch and there is no charge. We will ask you sign the event waiver when you get there. Just stop by registration and they will have it there. The next event is July 16th at Osbourne Park High School, Manassas, VA. We have another event in August which is back at Bowie (close to you). Hopefully we will see you at one or more of the events.

---Eric

Dirichlet
06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Just curious about one thing on the scoring - what does the second number mean below the best time? For the second place driver in each class, it seems to be the difference in times. However, further down the list, I can't seem to find a correlation to that second number and the posted best time??? Any help?

moxnix
06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Just curious about one thing on the scoring - what does the second number mean below the best time? For the second place driver in each class, it seems to be the difference in times. However, further down the list, I can't seem to find a correlation to that second number and the posted best time??? Any help?

I think you mean the number that tells you how close you are to the next best time not the top time.

If you look a the results I posted here (I just pulled a few times from the top of the list) It is so you will know how much you need to improve to move up a place (or so you can say "damn it if I had only been .010 seconds faster I would have beaten .....")

1 John Vitamvas 1999 BMW M Coupe 49.259+1 48.109+1 48.261 48.117 48.117
2 Clyde Caplan 1998 BMW M3 49.134+1 48.962+2 49.959 48.420 48.420 (0.303)
48.420 - 48.117 = .303
3 Glenn Ty 1998 BMW M3 49.316 48.990 49.151 49.057 48.990 (0.570)
48.990 - 48.420 = .570
4 John Doby 1998 BMW M3 49.996 50.324 50.336 50.414 49.996(1.006)
49.996 - 48.990 = 1.006

Dirichlet
06-22-2005, 03:23 PM
hahaha
wow, i'm a genius - lol

gezick
06-23-2005, 08:23 PM
how does one go from having sucky times to having better times? (9th place in last weekend's showroom class)

just playing lots of gt4? or hanging around autox's?

it's just not exactly a type of driving skill that one really cultivates on a normal road.

just wondering.

ChosenGSR
06-23-2005, 08:38 PM
how does one go from having sucky times to having better times? (9th place in last weekend's showroom class)

it's just not exactly a type of driving skill that one really cultivates on a normal road.

just wondering.

I think the more you do it the more you start feeling your car. You learn to drive it at it's limit. You also learn to concentrate more on the line you're driving and looking ahead. It just starts coming together perhaps.

AlfaEric
06-23-2005, 08:38 PM

just wondering.
If you find out, let me know... ;)

I think seat time is probably the best way (and the most fun). Take an autocross school if you can find one (most are held early in the season). Watch how other people are driving and try to learn what they are doing. I have found that riding with other people and having people ride with me is very helpful.

---Eric

Pete
06-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Seat time. That's really the secret of getting faster. The more autocrosses you attend, the better you will be reading courses and planning your lines. You'll also understand the limitations of your car and driving within them.

You might want to consider some schools. You'll learn and lot and pick up the pace from that.

Also there is setup.

That's a start. Hope it helps,

Pete

Dirichlet
06-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Def. take a driver's school (or several, or many) - seat time at the autox is ok, but you'll always have the 'I have to get a good time' hanging over your head. At the schools you go at your own pace, and get to learn the limits of your car - how to control over and understeer, how to be smooth with all of your inputs (seems to be important), hand positioning, where to look, etc... The driver's schools, in all honesty, would still be worth it if they were three times the price. Good luck.

ob325
06-24-2005, 07:13 AM
how to control over and understeer, how to be smooth with all of your inputs (seems to be important)

I think ChosenGSR would agree with you on this point. :)

John V
06-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Seat time.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Still, seat time by itself won't do it. You need to figure out what the fast people are doing (besides borrowing fast cars, which works to an extent) to make them go fast. If you go to lots of events but you don't LEARN anything you'll never get faster.

At the next event go up to someone who is turning quick times and ask to ride along. Pay attention to what they do with the steering, brakes and throttle. Watch them from outside the car as they take their runs as well. Pay attention to their lines, how smooth they are, when they're getting on the gas, etc. That has helped me quite a bit in recent years.

John V

AlfaEric
06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Repeat ad nauseum.

Still, seat time by itself won't do it. You need to figure out what the fast people are doing (besides borrowing fast cars, which works to an extent) to make them go fast. If you go to lots of events but you don't LEARN anything you'll never get faster.

...or you can buy a slower car and practice everything in slow motion. :icon_cool

At the next event go up to someone who is turning quick times and ask to ride along. Pay attention to what they do with the steering, brakes and throttle. Watch them from outside the car as they take their runs as well. Pay attention to their lines, how smooth they are, when they're getting on the gas, etc. That has helped me quite a bit in recent years.

John V

Hey John, can I ride with you?

---Eric

NoSoup4U
06-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey John, can I ride with you?

---Eric

John's fast -- I thought it was b/c he was driving neil's car? :D

I've been watching my co-driver intently, listening to when he gets on the gas, his lines, and his braking points. That has been a lot of help to me. I've also been doing as others suggested, watching the fast guys and doing the same. You just pick up little things that make a big difference, like oohhh .. he was braking earlier than I did in that 90 box and gets on the gas earlier -- let me try that. Wow -- took off 1/2 second.

John V
06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
John's fast -- I thought it was b/c he was driving neil's car? :D

I've been watching my co-driver intently, listening to when he gets on the gas, his lines, and his braking points. That has been a lot of help to me. I've also been doing as others suggested, watching the fast guys and doing the same. You just pick up little things that make a big difference, like oohhh .. he was braking earlier than I did in that 90 box and gets on the gas earlier -- let me try that. Wow -- took off 1/2 second.

Better yet - keep your late braking and ALSO get on the gas earlier. That's what I've been strugging with recently.

Anyone is welcome to ride with me at any time (not SCCA events) but you may have to fight Marisa for it and she fights dirty :)

Seriously though ridealongs are not a problem.

Doby
06-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Seriously though ridealongs are not a problem.
Ditto, altough you'd have to deal with me talking to myself.

JEDM3
06-25-2005, 04:10 PM
The best way to improve your autox skills is seat time. There are usually events in the area most every weekend. The best way to make large improvements is to get into an autox school. The club has an annual school in the spring. The scca region in dc also provides regular schools that are very good. There is also evolution driving school. If you google them, you can find a calander.
Regular driving makes you better, attending schools with good instructors will make rapid and large improvements. Just be warned, you will end up spending lots of money on wheels, tires, brakes, alignments, etc. But it is all good fun.
Good Luck!
John