View Full Version : 5/21/2005 Autocross Registration - Open

AlfaEric
04-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Registration is open. :)

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?autocross_registration

---Eric

ChosenGSR
04-21-2005, 10:29 AM
As far as I understand "heat" is like your run group? Does that mean that heat 1 will run before heat 2 etc? What would you suggest for a noob? :)

jkuper
04-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Second or third would be fine, if you want to get there early (8am), walk before each heat, watch as much as you can before you drive. If you don't mind being there all day....

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 10:42 AM
As far as I understand "heat" is like your run group? Does that mean that heat 1 will run before heat 2 etc? What would you suggest for a noob? :)
We run 3 heats and each heat is split into 2 run groups. The first half of the heat runs while the second half works, then they switch.

Heats begin at 9:30 AM, with each heat following at approximately two hour intervals. Registration closes at noon. You must register at the event at least one hour prior to your heat or before registration closes, whichever is earlier. All events open for registration and technical inspection at 8:00 AM.

For this event, I would say to go for heat 1 or 3. A lot of the experience people seem to be registering for heat 2. It is easier to get an instructor when they aren't driving. ;)

During heat 1 an instructor will have more energy but by waiting for heat 3 you can arrive early and have more time to watch and learn the course.

---Eric

ChosenGSR
04-21-2005, 11:07 AM
How does this registration (online) correlate to the registration at the event? At the Autocross school (porsche) I was told that there are practice runs that happen prior to the actual event, do we have that? I think heat 3 is definitely for me, I want to be able to soak in as much information as I can as I have no experience at all :) I'll definitely need an instructor or some help at least at first :)

bren
04-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Practice runs? No.

I've done a few PCA events and never saw any practice runs there either. That must be what they call it when the BMW's show up and take FTD. :)

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 11:48 AM
How does this registration (online) correlate to the registration at the event? At the Autocross school (porsche) I was told that there are practice runs that happen prior to the actual event, do we have that? I think heat 3 is definitely for me, I want to be able to soak in as much information as I can as I have no experience at all :) I'll definitely need an instructor or some help at least at first :)
On-site registration is for people who didn't pre-register online. It is also where you will checkin and pay. Our events do fill up so I would highly recommend pre-registering (online).

No, we don't do practice runs. You just walk the course and drive. The "practice runs" were probably just for the school.

---Eric

ChosenGSR
04-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I see… I might have misunderstood the instructor... It was very overwhelming, much information in so little time. I am sure it’s going to be a blast. Am I going to be the only first timer or are there usually a few of us?

Thanks Eric for all the info :)

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 12:55 PM
I see… I might have misunderstood the instructor... It was very overwhelming, much information in so little time. I am sure it’s going to be a blast. Am I going to be the only first timer or are there usually a few of us?

Thanks Eric for all the info :)
The first event of the season usually has the most new people. Right now, 5 people have registered this as their first event. 7 people have registered as "Novice" - Sorry Glenn and James, you don't qualify as novices. :p

---Eric

ChosenGSR
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Wonderful ;) Eric what is the entrance fee for autocrosses? I don't see it on the main site...

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Wonderful ;) Eric what is the entrance fee for autocrosses? I don't see it on the main site...
For Bowie, I think it is $20 for members and $25 for non. Pete will have to confirm this.

---Eric

Pete
04-21-2005, 02:20 PM
That is correct, $20 for members and $25 for non members. Keep in mind that Members get priority registration.

Eric, Shouldn't that be on the website? It was last year.

Pete
NCC Autocross Chairman

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
That is correct, $20 for members and $25 for non members. Keep in mind that Members get priority registration.

Eric, Shouldn't that be on the website? It was last year.

Pete
NCC Autocross Chairman
Why are you asking me? I just handle the emails (lots and lots of emails). :p

The info is on the website but it is old. I sent you a PM about it.

For anyone interested in becoming a member, membership information is located here: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?membership

---Eric

Dirichlet
04-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Are the results of the autox school going to be posted at any time... just curious. I'm looking forward to the first real event.
~Colin

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Are the results of the autox school going to be posted at any time... just curious. I'm looking forward to the first real event.
~Colin
Eventually... Just not for a while. There was some registration issues that are delaying them. :(

---Eric

SharkD
04-21-2005, 06:45 PM
The first event of the season usually has the most new people. Right now, 5 people have registered this as their first event. 7 people have registered as "Novice" - Sorry Glenn and James, you don't qualify as novices. :p Do I qualify as a novice? :icon_eyeb

I mean, technically I am new... to Modifed Sport.

(Maybe I shouldn't include a Modified Touring autox pic in my signature for this post...)

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Do I qualify as a novice? :icon_eyeb

I mean, technically I am new... to Modifed Sport.

(Maybe I shouldn't include a Modified Touring autox pic in my signature for this post...)
Ummm... No. :icon_haha

I wasn't sure if we would be adding a novice class this season. I added the option to the registration form to be safe.

---Eric

AG
04-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Ummm... No. :icon_haha

I wasn't sure if we would be adding a novice class this season. I added the option to the registration form to be safe.

---Eric

What exactly is the criteria for being considered a novice? Is it just someone who has attended less than 'X' number of events?

SharkD
04-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Hmmm... I guess my attempt at humorously witty irony didn't quite translate -- I was joking, despite having run in (only?) 5 autoX's.

AlfaEric
04-21-2005, 10:30 PM
What exactly is the criteria for being considered a novice? Is it just someone who has attended less than 'X' number of events?
To be considered a novice, this should be your first season. Please remember that I'm still not sure if there will be a novice class at this point. I hate to say it but that decision probably won't be made until we are close to the first event. It doesn't effect anything since people will still be registering for their proper class (it would be based on PAX). ;)

---Eric

Doby
04-22-2005, 07:32 AM
I've done a few PCA events and never saw any practice runs there either. That must be what they call it when the BMW's show up and take FTD. :)

http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/devillook.gif

patred
05-19-2005, 09:22 AM
I've never been to a National Chapter BMW/CCA autocross and it looks like registration is closed for this one at the Baysox stadium -- are there still openings for walk up registrations??

Pat

vrsixer
05-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Quick question, I'm registered for the autox on Saturday for the 2nd heat. What time would be best to show up? I'm not one that likes to hang out all day there... So I'm wondering when a safe time would be to show up where I can register, tech the car, and walk the course. Thanks for any help...

AG
05-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Quick question, I'm registered for the autox on Saturday for the 2nd heat. What time would be best to show up? I'm not one that likes to hang out all day there... So I'm wondering when a safe time would be to show up where I can register, tech the car, and walk the course. Thanks for any help...

According to the website:

All events open for registration and technical inspection at 8:00 AM. Heats begin at 9:30 AM, with each heat following at approximately two hour intervals. Registration closes at noon. You must register at the event at least one hour prior to your heat or before registration closes, whichever is earlier.
Sounds like you need to be there before 10:30 to register. I think the course will open up for walking around 11:00.

bren
05-19-2005, 06:41 PM
I've never been to a National Chapter BMW/CCA autocross and it looks like registration is closed for this one at the Baysox stadium -- are there still openings for walk up registrations??

Pat
Pretty sure they said registration is full but that doesn't mean everyone will actually show up.

Rafgar
05-19-2005, 07:42 PM

Pat

Pat,

The event is over-subscribed so don't get your hopes up too far. However, if you get there early (around 8:00am) when registration opens and get your name on the waitlist, you *may* be able to get in. No way that I can promise that, but if it's not too far a drive for you, it may be worth it.

Rafgar
05-19-2005, 07:44 PM

Jason,

I don't know how much autox experience you have, but it's generally very helpful to watch a group of cars drive the course before you take your runs. Also, make sure that you leave enough time to prep your car, go through tech and registration and then to walk the course. Seriously, the latest I would recommend you arrive is 10:00am.

Doby
05-20-2005, 06:53 AM
I'd show up by 9am. You can watch the first heat while still having time to prep the car. I usually show up before 8am so I can walk the course as many times as possible.

vrsixer
05-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Well, I guess I won't be showing up after all. Just got an email stating that I'm wait listed. Wait listed people generally run at the end of the day, correct? Or will they fill gaps in all heats?

Doby
05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Actually, I believe there are more no-shows in the morning heats.

GT
05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Wait list folks are placed in heats as spots become available, not at the end of the day.

Pete
05-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Well, I guess I won't be showing up after all. Just got an email stating that I'm wait listed. Wait listed people generally run at the end of the day, correct? Or will they fill gaps in all heats?

Waitlisted people are fit in if there are no shows. If you want to get in, show up early so you can get in any spot open from a no show. It could be in any of the heats, but as John said, more people do not show up for first heat.

Pete

1996 328ti
05-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Results are up.
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?results

SMOODY
05-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Results are up.
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?resultsThanks! This made my day :)

ChosenGSR
05-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks! This made my day :)
And ruined mine! kidding... :icon_wave Thanks!

Dirichlet
05-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm just curious - again I'm new to the autox thing - what the the 'm' and 'Tm' mean next to the names on the results??

AlfaEric
05-26-2005, 08:47 AM
These are preliminary results. There are some errors that will be looked into:
Some people only had 1 second added to their times for a cone penalty.
One person's 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th runs had identical times.

---Eric

AlfaEric
05-26-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm just curious - again I'm new to the autox thing - what the the 'm' and 'Tm' mean next to the names on the results??
They shouldn't be there. The software creating the results put them in automatically. "T" is for trophies (we do end of season - not for every event). I think "M" is for member.

Either that or 'trade mark' and you should have read the release you signed more carefully. :p

---Eric