PDA

View Full Version : What to Bring to an Autocross

AlfaEric
04-11-2005, 01:41 PM
I just realized that we don't have a listing of items people should bring (or at least consider bringing) to an autocross. Post up anything you can think of... Once activity in this thread stops, we can grab the results and post a compiled list in the autocross section.

---Eric

Sunscreen
Drinks
License
Money
Directions to event
Sunscreen
Sufficient gas in car
Hat
Rain Gear (a small plastic poncho stuffed in a zip-lock bag is a cheap but useful investment)
Helmet
Extra air in tires/air compressor
Tire gauge
Extra oil (very useful)
Folding chair
Snacks/Lunch
Pencil and Paper (good for taking notes and copying course)
Sunscreen

Dirichlet
04-11-2005, 03:07 PM
I think you forgot to metion sunscreen...

GT
04-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I think you've pretty much covered it, Eric.

Then again, I'm not surprised. Just as you and Pete did with preparing for the school, looks like the AX program is in good hands! Thanks very much!!!

SMOODY
04-11-2005, 04:00 PM
One thing that I have added to my list after this weekend is a plastic box/tote/milkcrate to hold all of the stuff that I remove from the car prior to tech inspection.

AlfaEric
04-11-2005, 05:04 PM
I think you forgot to metion sunscreen...
I actually forgot to apply it. :(

I think you've pretty much covered it, Eric.

Then again, I'm not surprised. Just as you and Pete did with preparing for the school, looks like the AX program is in good hands! Thanks very much!!!
I'm glad you have such confidence but I usually forget something.

One thing that I have added to my list after this weekend is a plastic box/tote/milkcrate to hold all of the stuff that I remove from the car prior to tech inspection.
I bought something like this but without wheels (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2476189 ). It was on sale for under $15 and will fit nicely in an E30's trunk. Having a lid is nice in case it rains. It also has a latch for a padlock if you have anything valuable you want to lockup.

---Eric

woodym3
04-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Tarp to cover things in case of rain.
Camera/camcorder

SharkD
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Tarp to cover things in case of rain. A BIG tarp, so that you can set your gear on top of it (to keep it dry/clean on wet ground) and still have enough to cover your stuff securely in the event of rain.
Plastic Picnic cooler (~$20 - examples: Igloo (http://www.igloocoolers.com/results?numpeople=2), Coleman (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=8530) - makes an okay seat/tarp anchor in a pinch)
Car numbers (two computer printouts at ~220pt text will do)
White shoe polish (to mark sidewall rollover and window numbers, when you forget them)
Painter's or Racer's Tape (http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemdetail.asp?ses=75vyiiqoqs9cav10f&itemid=518&showbrake=1)
An extra T-shirt (for the drive home)
60-80ftlb+ Torque wrench with a 17mm deep socket (to torque your lugs)
Windex and paper towels
waterproof sunscreen (in case, like me last year, you get rained on and then sunburned)

BTW, I picked up a compact 12v/AC/cordless compressor (Craftsman model 75116) (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=02875116000&bidsite=CRAFT) from Sears for $50, last season. It usually tops off all four tires in less than 15 minutes. There are cheaper models, and there are much more expensive models with all kinds of extra bells and whistles, but this has the right combo of speed, reliability and price point.

Also, buying a cheapo tire gauge is asking for trouble and unreliability. A good 0-60 tire gauge is invaluable, even if you don't make a habit of autocrossing. A solid Longacre gauge (http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemdetail.asp?ses=75vyiiqoqs9cav10f&itemid=270&showbrake=1) should run you about $40. It's money well-spent.

(BTW, I'm not affiliated with OG -- I just like to support great local shops.)

David Hicks
04-11-2005, 08:48 PM
I'll add a few items too.

Pre-mixed coolant and distilled water. It can get pretty annoying to have "CHECK" flashing at those of with check panels when a skid pad pushed the coolant away from the sensor.

Zip ties. Lots of uses.

First aid kit.

Sun hat.

I'm also thinking of getting a few of the Cool Collar things and keeping them in a cooler. (My a/c has been removed.)

Doby
04-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Duct Tape, Welder, Sawzall, BFH...

AlfaEric
04-12-2005, 10:10 AM
A BIG tarp, so that you can set your gear on top of it (to keep it dry/clean on wet ground) and still have enough to cover your stuff securely in the event of rain.
Plastic Picnic cooler (~$20 - examples: Igloo (http://www.igloocoolers.com/results?numpeople=2), Coleman (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=8530))
White shoe polish (to mark sidewall rollover and window numbers, when you forget them)
Painter's or Racer's Tape (http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemdetail.asp?ses=75vyiiqoqs9cav10f&itemid=518&showbrake=1)
Windex and paper towels
waterproof sunscreen (in case, like me last year, you get rained on and then sunburned)

BTW, I picked up a compact 12v/AC/cordless compressor (Craftsman model 75116) (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=02875116000&bidsite=CRAFT) from Sears for $50, last season. It usually tops off all four tires in less than 15 minutes. There are cheaper models, and there are much more expensive models with all kinds of extra bells and whistles, but this has the right combo of speed, reliability and price point.

Also, buying a cheapo tire gauge is asking for trouble and unreliability. A good 0-60 tire gauge is invaluable, even if you don't make a habit of autocrossing. A solid Longacre gauge (http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemdetail.asp?ses=75vyiiqoqs9cav10f&itemid=270&showbrake=1) should run you about $40. It's money well-spent.

(BTW, I'm not affiliated with OG -- I just like to support great local shops.)
Good call on the waterproof sunscreen!

If anyone is considering buying a small air compressor. Do NOT buy a cheap one. They may be fine for filling tires to normal pressures but they have problems when you try to use them frequently to pump up to autox pressures. I broke two of them last season.

---Eric

Updated/Sorted list:

Needed:
License
Money
Directions to event
Sufficient gas in car

Comfort items:
Waterproof Sunscreen
Drinks
Hat
Folding chair
Snacks/Lunch
Rain Gear (a small plastic poncho stuffed in a zip-lock bag is a cheap but useful investment)
Cooler
Cool Collar (for those who don’t have AC)

Other items:
Helmet
Extra air in tires/good air compressor
Tire gauge (quality)
Extra oil (very useful)
Pencil and Paper (good for taking notes and copying course)
Camera
White Shoe Polish
Painter’s or Racer’s tape
Windex and paper towels
First Aid kit
Pre-mixed coolant and distilled water

Tools (beyond your car’s toolkit):
Zip ties (high temp)
Duct tape
Screw driver (since it probably isn’t in your car’s toolkit anymore)

A storage box or large tarp for the equipment listed above and items removed from vehicle. Make sure the tarp is large enough to wrap around everything if it rains.

M-technik-3
04-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe an inexpensive pyrometer for the the psydo serious to the very serious. A small assortment of fuses.

Probably the most important item, A happy smiling face because you are having a fun day not at work.

AlfaEric
04-25-2005, 11:39 AM
A cheap set of work gloves.

A shirt that isn't red - so people won't confuse you for the flag. ;)

---Eric

AlfaEric
08-16-2005, 10:37 AM
While at the last event, I kept realizing how many things I forgot through the day. Then I remembered this thread. Let's see how I did.

Needed:
License - Y
Money - Y
Directions to event - Followed someone else but should have had a map to get around traffic
Sufficient gas in car - Accidentally had a full tank

Comfort items:
Waterproof Sunscreen - Forgot
Drinks - Ran out
Hat - Y
Folding chair - Y
Snacks/Lunch - Forgot
Rain Gear (a small plastic poncho stuffed in a zip-lock bag is a cheap but useful investment) - Y (but didn't need it)
Cooler - N
An extra T-shirt (for the drive home) - N
Cool Collar (for those who don’t have AC) - N - Don't own one (and my AC sucks)
Towel that you can wet and put on your neck/head - N

Other items:
Helmet - Y
Extra air in tires/good air compressor - Borrowed an air tank
Tire gauge (quality) - Y
Extra oil (very useful) - Didn't bring nearly enough
Pencil and Paper (good for taking notes and copying course) - N
Camera - Y (but forgot to bring a spare battery)
Car numbers (two computer printouts at ~220pt text will do) - N
White Shoe Polish - N
Painter’s or Racer’s tape - Y
Windex and paper towels - Y
First Aid kit - Y
Pre-mixed coolant and distilled water - N

Tools (beyond your car’s toolkit):
60-80ftlb+ Torque wrench with a 17mm deep socket (to torque your lugs) - N
Zip ties (high temp) - N
Duct tape - N
Screw driver (since it probably isn’t in your car’s toolkit anymore) - Y
Pyrometer - N - Don't own one
Work gloves - Y (but lost them immediately)
Spare Fuses - N

A storage box or large tarp for the equipment listed above and items removed from vehicle. Make sure the tarp is large enough to wrap around everything if it rains. - Y

:icon_doh:

I guess I should have checked this thread before I left.

---Eric

David Hicks
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
I would have liked to have a cool collar or a wet towel to wear on the way home. Downtown DC, in a heat wave, in a traffic jam, in a car with no A/C is not someplace you want to be. :(

Eric, I remembered when I got home that I had a whole stockpile of spare fuses in the parts closet at home. I could have fixed that problem days ago... Oh well.

AlfaEric
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
I would have liked to have a cool collar or a wet towel to wear on the way home. Downtown DC, in a heat wave, in a traffic jam, in a car with no A/C is not someplace you want to be. :(

Eric, I remembered when I got home that I had a whole stockpile of spare fuses in the parts closet at home. I could have fixed that problem days ago... Oh well.
D'oh! You just reminded me that I drove right past Pep Boys this weekend and I forgot to buy fuses. I even stopped and sat there trying to think of what I needed while I was out there.

The A/C doesn't really work in my car. Maybe I'll have it fixed next year(something I've said for the past 7 years).

---Eric

M-technik-3
09-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Reviving this thread since next week is the Bowie Sox event. Some one should make a PDF printable checklist out of the things we put here.

Looking foward to a faster course than Manassas this time. :cool:

David Hicks
09-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Here you go.

Have I mentioned that I'm bored tonight?

SharkD
09-24-2005, 03:57 AM
Maybe the thread should be Stickied...?

AlfaEric
09-24-2005, 05:14 AM
Maybe the thread should be Stickied...?
Actually, I think we will add the form to the autocross page (if David doesn't mind).

---Eric

David Hicks
09-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Actually, I think we will add the form to the autocross page (if David doesn't mind).

---Eric
Fine by me. It's not my work - I just PDF'ed it.

JimHarris
10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Gloves (for removing tires and/or working tech)
Pliers/channel locks
Screwdriver that can double as a hub ring removal tool (when they stick)
Handi-wipes (plastic container, numerous available brands)
Chalk for detecting tire roll over
Wheel lock key, if you use wheel locks

1996 328ti
10-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Guys,
This section is for what to bring to an autocross, not the discussion of one.
I have removed previous discussion of the Oct 22 autocross to http://www.nccbmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1301