PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this fire suppression system?

NoSoup4U
03-17-2005, 08:58 AM
It's a 2.3L fire suppression system. I currently have a handheld fire extinguisher in the car; but, I know it's pretty worthless. However, is the fire suppression really needed though?

If the car is on fire, isn't my first thought to get out of the car. Or, is this designed so I hit the kill switch on the car, and then hit the fire suppression button?

Is it okay to be in the car when this system goes off?

Can any race shop, such as Kearney's install it, or do I need to goto a mechanic? (sorry for the noob questions).

TIA

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=56&cid=7

OwnedbyDuncan
03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Pardon my igorance but need a little more info. Race, drivers school, AutoX? Everday driver, dedicated track car or race car? Drivers Schools only handheld fire extinguishers can become a lethal missile as a result an accident. Fire suppression maybe overkill. You really dont want to be in car when I fire suppression system goes off. The suppressive agent should deplete the air of O2 to help suppress the fire.

mlytle
03-17-2005, 09:40 PM
weeellllll, he did post it in the RACING section of this board as opposed to the de or auto-x section....;)

it is for a race car and he got it answered in his cross post to the bimmerforums racing section.

NoSoup4U
03-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Yeah. Marshall made me spend more money since the 2.3L is not large enough :( ... :) .. although, in this case, only minimal. ;)

Well, slowly checking off the things on the minimum requirement list:

rollcage - check
s/w -- check
camlock harnesses -- check
fire suppression system -- coming
window harness -- check
reinforced cage w/gussets -- check
kill switch -- check
suspension -- coming
tires -- coming
nomex suit -- check
nomex gloves -- check
balaclava -- hmm ... need that
helmet -- check
seat back brace -- check
seats and reinforcements -- check
remove window tint -- check
add a whole bunch of stickers to go faster -- check and double-check :D
new battery -- check
break-in period for engine done -- check
clear bra to protect car -- 80% done
LTW wheels -- check
street legal -- check (added cats back in!)
new spark plugs -- gotta get
new coil packs -- check
new belts -- check
new bushings -- coming
remove stereo wiring -- must do sometime

DAMN! I'll have one heck of a safe autocross car this year!!!!

I was a little worried about my co-driver's safety at SCCA -- so, I went a bit overboard.

Pete
03-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Are you saying my driving is unsafe?

:icon_doh: :icon_weir :icon_dizz

mlytle
03-19-2005, 12:32 AM
no problem i will take the hit for that. it is the duty of every car guy to help other car guys spend more money!!!

dang, you did all that for a daily driver? guess it can't be too safe driving around here! :D

so when are we going to see it in an scca race? doing the school this weekend?

marshall