PDA

View Full Version : Bug and Tar remover....is it safe?

lrosie89
10-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Okay, these are probably really amateur questions, but there is a lot of tar on the underside of the car and I am wondering what the safest way is to get it off. And, what type of cloth should I use ? I dont want to scratch the car when removing it. Thanks!:rolleyes:

Nick325xiT 5spd
10-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Modern paint is pretty chemical resistant. (Unlike old paint, or the rattle can crap I was warning you about.)

That said, I would start by trying to remove as much as possible with a clay bar - Mother's has a good package that's available at any auto parts shop. In fact, I highly recommend claying the paint across the whole car if it hasn't been detailed recently. (Run your hand over the paint - if it doesn't feel really smooth, it's got lots of embedding junk that would be helped by claying. Lighter colored cars, especially white, will literally change color after claying.) Buy an extra bottle of quick detailer to go with the clay kit. More is better.

AFTER getting what you can with the clay, I'd try the bug and tar remover with a microfiber cloth.

tony
10-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Finger nail polish remover proved as effective for it. Apply it with cotton ball and don't allow it to remain for long time. To be safe rinse thoroughly and then proceed to wash your car as usual.

John in VA
10-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Polish remover (acetone) would be at the end of my list, if gentler solutions did not work. Stoner's Tarminator (available at the big box auto parts places) is MADE for this. Acetone can soften and even remove paint/clear coat.

lrosie89
10-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks, John. I will look at the ingredients in my remover and see. If it has acetone in it, I will steer clear and get what you advise.

Dan
11-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Little late....
Top two choices are Stoners Tarminator or CarPro Tar X. Keep the Stoners product away from plastic.

Use a chemical method before abrasive (clay).