PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Issues

lrosie89
10-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I just found a spot on my car where the clear coat has been scratched off. I am not sure if it was like this when I bought it or not. What can I do before it gets worse. Its on the front bumper, and it's not that bad right now. Any help is appreciated.

Nick325xiT 5spd
10-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Honestly, it's a bumper. Accept that you'll be repainting it eventually. Theoretically, you could feather sand the edge of the clear coat smooth and then do a spot repair. But a spot repair with anything less than catalyzed clear from a paint gun will look like absolute crap. (And as someone who owns painting equipment, I can tell you that the cost of DIYing a little spot repair properly will be greater than paying someone to paint your bumper. Plus, if you screw up, you'll just make it worse.)

lrosie89
10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
thanks, nick. I guess that I am no expert, so I will wait until I have to do the whole thing and get an expert to do it, as I am no expert in feather sanding and painting. :-)

Bob
10-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Honestly, it's a bumper. Accept that you'll be repainting it eventually. Theoretically, you could feather sand the edge of the clear coat smooth and then do a spot repair. But a spot repair with anything less than catalyzed clear from a paint gun will look like absolute crap. (And as someone who owns painting equipment, I can tell you that the cost of DIYing a little spot repair properly will be greater than paying someone to paint your bumper. Plus, if you screw up, you'll just make it worse.)

Amen, I own all the normal painting stuff,too, and Maaco just did my Coupe, DIY painting is a major PITA. BTW, Maaco's runnig a bumper paint special on tv for $200.

Nick325xiT 5spd
10-14-2011, 02:09 PM
I went with this approach, instead of Maaco. But that would have been a lot cheaper.

lrosie89
10-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Well, thanks for the advice guys....I will have to ponder the thought and the pocketbook strings. :-) Have a good wkend.

mcoupemindy
10-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Amen, I own all the normal painting stuff,too, and Maaco just did my Coupe, DIY painting is a major PITA. BTW, Maaco's runnig a bumper paint special on tv for $200.

Considering that paint alone to do a bumper costs $90 without any cleanup supplies, etc. - I'd go for the $200 special.