PDA

View Full Version : Need to change clutch, put labor cost is shocking!

TimInNOVA
09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I need to change the clutch and rear main seal on my 2001 M5, but I'm getting quoted by shops 10 hours of labor. 10 hours!!! How is this possible? There are guys posting youtube videos of e39 clutch changes in their garage taking only 4 hours.

I would love to do this myself but have no extra time. Does anyone know of a shop, or an individual, that can perform a clutch job for a fair price?

Thanks,
Tim

mcoupemindy
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
IIRC, 10 hours is less than book time for the clutch job. It's far from a pleasant experience in addition. I don't think they are trying to hose you at all. You are also asking to have the rear main completed which does take some time to remove the flywheel, pull the old, clean, install a new, and then reattach flywheel, etc.

If I had the appropriate facility, I'd offer - but just like you I don't have the time or the place to do it.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Actually, E39 transmission removal is relatively easy. It's nothing like pulling one out of an E30/E36/E46. You've got loads of space around the bellhousing, which is a weird experience when you're used to dropping the front subframe an inch to get that little tiny bit of clearance. The part that really sucks is taking down the exhaust. That bastard is unbelievably heavy and awkward, especially in the M5.

That said, 10 hours isn't *that* unreasonable. What you need to find is a shop that has cheaper rates.

TimInNOVA
09-07-2011, 08:34 AM
That said, 10 hours isn't *that* unreasonable. What you need to find is a shop that has cheaper rates.

Thanks guys. If I could find someone to do this for around $70 an hour it wouldn't hurt so bad. Maybe I need to head south ;-)

pseto
09-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys. If I could find someone to do this for around $70 an hour it wouldn't hurt so bad. Maybe I need to head south ;-)

If you find someone for $70/hour, please let us all know

Ethan Blank
09-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Don't know what he'd charge for your car, but Ed York did a great job on the clutch/tranny/rear main seal in my Miata. Highly recommend Ed -- doubt you could find any pro who can do it as well for less money. Ed always has fair rates and is a great BMW (as well as Miata) guy.

Timmy at Convenience Car Care is also a good bet and perhaps closer to you.