PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Event 09/17/2011 - DIY @ Northwest BMW

webmaster
08-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Do It Yourself (DIY) Program Overview

The 2011 Do It Yourself (DIY) program allows National Capital Chapter (NCC) BMW Car Club of America (CCA) Members to work on their own cars under the supervision of expert mechanics and technicians provided by the DIY Sponsor. The purpose of the DIY is to learn and practice proper maintenance and repair techniques that you can routinely complete within a two-and-one-half-hour (2.5 hour) time period.

There are typically several NCC members who can assist you when an extra pair of hands or advice is needed. We are happy to show newcomers the joys of working on your own car. Most events start at between 8 am and 9 am and typically finish at 3 pm. Lunch for the event is provided by the club.

The DIY Program Webpage is here http://www.nccbmwcca.org/content.php?119-diy

This event offers online registration and payment through MotorsportReg.com.

Registration will be through Motorsportreg.com (http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/86401438-FF88-D20B-C4A9B4F345B325EA)

ventsyv
08-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Hi. Northwest BMW is in Owing Mills right? I want to do a diff fluid, oil and maybe transmission fluid/filter change. Do I have to order the parts from Northwest BMW or can I get them online from my regular place? Are there any spots left?

OK I double checked the DIY program descriptions - do I call the sponsor to order the parts or do I email a list to someone? How do I know what the pricing is ? Do I pay for the parts at the event? How does the whole thing work?

pseto
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi. Northwest BMW is in Owing Mills right? I want to do a diff fluid, oil and maybe transmission fluid/filter change. Do I have to order the parts from Northwest BMW or can I get them online from my regular place? Are there any spots left?

OK I double checked the DIY program descriptions - do I call the sponsor to order the parts or do I email a list to someone? How do I know what the pricing is ? Do I pay for the parts at the event? How does the whole thing work?

Not sure if there is space or not, but you should register regardless. You'll be notified if you're accepted and then buy your parts from NW BMW. More information will be provided by the DIY coordinator as the event gets closer.

ventsyv
08-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Ok, I registered. I hope someone contacts me soon to explain how to order and pay for the parts...

pseto
08-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Ok, I registered. I hope someone contacts me soon to explain how to order and pay for the parts...

A week before the event, the coordinator will send out the confirmation email with these details.

prentissra
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
We ask that you buy parts from the sponsor if at all possible. If you have parts, tell the coordinator before the event so s/he can get it cleared

ventsyv
08-26-2011, 02:43 PM
No problem I'll buy the parts. The question is
A) How do I order them? Do I give someone a list or do I call the sponsor??
B) What's the price? My local BMW dealer has ridiculously high prices - I don't want to pay 3x - 4x what I would pay at getBMWparts.com (I paid $25 for oil filter once if I remember correctly). If that's the case, I rather give the money to my friend who works on my car when I'm busy or the job is complicated...
C) How do I pay? Do I send a check? Pay at the event??

prentissra
08-27-2011, 01:36 PM
typically the dealers give CCA Members 10-20% discount. You can pre-order from the sponsor after you get your confirmation.

Neil22
08-29-2011, 03:03 PM
For an oil change I'd imagine they'd have all of the parts on hand in the shop.

ventsyv
08-30-2011, 12:26 PM
It's not just an oil change. I'll also change the transmission fluid and filter as well as the diff fluid. The fluids I expect to be in stock, I'm a bit concerned about the transmission filter and pan gasket.

pseto
08-30-2011, 12:29 PM
It's not just an oil change. I'll also change the transmission fluid and filter as well as the diff fluid. The fluids I expect to be in stock, I'm a bit concerned about the transmission filter and pan gasket.

Once you are accepted into the DIY, order your parts directly from them. It doesn't take them long to get any part (usually 1-2 days), unless its on national backorder. In that case, you're screwed anyway.

ventsyv
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Is there a designated person to contact for the items i need?

pseto
09-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Is there a designated person to contact for the items i need?

If you're accepted into the DIY, call NW BMW's parts department directly and tell them what you need.

jmezz911
09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Is this DIY Full?
Thanks
JEFF

ventsyv
09-09-2011, 08:38 AM
I went to their website and used the the parts department's contact form to send them an email with the list of items I need. I received a confirmation email from them, but nobody has contacted me beyond that. It's been may 2 days now. If they don't contact me today, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Is there anyone in particular I should should speak to?

ventsyv
09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
What time does the event start? I called NW to check on the parts - the guy I spoke with had no that there is a DIY event?? He gave me the official line that the transmission fluid does not need changing. Then he said that they only have 20 gallon drums and they don't sell it in smaller container. After some interrogation it turned out they do sell it per litter but you have to bring your own container ...

Anyhow... what do I need to bring? I have my toolbox ready, do I need to bring my oil removal pan? Thanks.

pseto
09-15-2011, 10:14 AM
What time does the event start? I called NW to check on the parts - the guy I spoke with had no that there is a DIY event?? He gave me the official line that the transmission fluid does not need changing. Then he said that they only have 20 gallon drums and they don't sell it in smaller container. After some interrogation it turned out they do sell it per litter but you have to bring your own container ...

Anyhow... what do I need to bring? I have my toolbox ready, do I need to bring my oil removal pan? Thanks.

We usually just dump our old fluids into their containers, but bring anything you think you may need just in case, including paper towels and gloves.

I'm pretty sure this is the first DIY at this location, so they may not know many answers and/or how this event is run.

bishoptheblack
09-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I want to go but what i need help with is coding of non supported equipment not sure if thats there thing ...

pseto
09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I want to go but what i need help with is coding of non supported equipment not sure if thats there thing ...

definitely not at a dealership

ventsyv
09-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Can someone bring a code scanner? I have a code I need to clear.

bishoptheblack
09-29-2011, 02:12 PM
definitely not at a dealership

any idea where? I need to get ahold of a ops cable or a ICOM unit so update the firmware on my cic retrofit .. cant add the combox until i do.

pseto
09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
any idea where? I need to get ahold of a ops cable or a ICOM unit so update the firmware on my cic retrofit .. cant add the combox until i do.

you're probably better off seeing if anyone online can help. maybe check over on bimmerforums in the midatlantic section