PDA

View Full Version : Spring Compressors

bimmer_fahrer
03-01-2005, 08:40 AM
OK, it's time to install camber plates on my '95 M3. In order to do this, without seriously injuring myself, I believe I'll need some Spring Compressors. Anyone have any recommendations on which ones to buy? As I'm most likely not going to be doing a lot of front suspension work, I don't want to spend a ton of money, bit I also don't want to buy a POS either.

AG
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM
OK, it's time to install camber plates on my '95 M3. In order to do this, without seriously injuring myself, I believe I'll need some Spring Compressors. Anyone have any recommendations on which ones to buy? As I'm most likely not going to be doing a lot of front suspension work, I don't want to spend a ton of money, bit I also don't want to buy a POS either.

Autozone loans out spring compressors. You need to put a deposit down and when you return the tool, you'll get your money back.

Doby
03-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Get the external clamp kit. They usually come with 2 sets of clamps. I've been able to do M3's without them though as the spings are pretty short... but I wouldn't suggest it. :)

OwnedbyDuncan
03-01-2005, 12:59 PM
How old are your schocks, springs and bushings? If they are OEM replace them all. If they have 60K or miles on them you may want to replace also? Are you sure you want to install camber plates? Is the suspension stock?

Pinecone
03-07-2005, 09:11 AM
I have a set of the spring compressors from Sears. Teh kinds with two hooks a long threaded rod.

I have done 4 cars with them. We swapped hats on two E46 M3s last Sat with them.

I did modify them with a nut on the other end, so you can actually use them on the car.

With M springs you have to make sure you grab two full coils. You may have to put the hooks on teh coils, then slide them around the spring to get them close to being across from each other.