PDA

View Full Version : Autox school

BahnBaum
02-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Has the location for the autox school been announced? I need to make some arrangements for my son, and some of this may be location dependent.

Thanks,
Alex

Pete
02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Has the location for the autox school been announced? I need to make some arrangements for my son, and some of this may be location dependent.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex,

The Autocross School will be held in Sykesville, Md this year at the Maryland's Police training facility (I don't have the exact name of the place at work).

Pete

SMOODY
02-28-2005, 01:00 PM
What is up with all but one of the Autocross events being near Baltimore this year? I live in Manassas, VA and I am looking at hour and a half+ drives each way for all but 1 event this season.

Last year we seemed to have a better balance between MD and VA events.

AlfaEric
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
What is up with all but one of the Autocross events being near Baltimore this year? I live in Manassas, VA and I am looking at hour and a half+ drives each way for all but 1 event this season.

There is just a lack of lots for us to select from. We got the same distance complaints from the Baltimore members about the Manassas events. I think we had 1-2 events in Manassas last season and the rest at Bowie. This season we added 2 events at Ripken. Ripken is a long drive for some people (myself included) but it has a nice large lot that we think people will enjoy. Lot availability controls a lot of the scheduling. Hopefully we can locate another lot in VA for next season.

---Eric

BahnBaum
02-28-2005, 01:17 PM
There is just a lack of lots for us to select from. We got the same distance complaints from the Baltimore members about the Manassas events. I think we had 1-2 events in Manassas last season and the rest at Bowie. This season we added 2 events at Ripken. Ripken is a long drive for some people (myself included) but it has a nice large lot that we think people will enjoy. Lot availability controls a lot of the scheduling. Hopefully we can locate another lot in VA for next season.

---Eric
And losing Rosecroft didn't help the distance issues for the northern VA/DC'ers.

Alex

BahnBaum
02-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi Alex,

The Autocross School will be held in Sykesville, Md this year at the Maryland's Police training facility (I don't have the exact name of the place at work).

Pete

Thanks Pete. That location should ensure careful driving around the host site.

Alex

Doby
02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Bowie is about halfway between Baltimore and DC. The NCC covers all the way up to the MD/PA line also.

Rafgar
02-28-2005, 11:32 PM

As Eric said, it's a matter of lot availability. Any suggestions of lots in Virginia would be greatly appreciated (since I'm a VA person and I have the autox trailer).

FYI, Kevin H. and I are both working on specific lots in VA. No, I'm not going to mention exactly what they are until we have something definite.

For what it's worth, the Ripkin lot is terrific. I ran in the Subaru Challenge there last Fall. It only took me just over an hour to get there from my house (in the evening) and less than an hour to get home (middle of the day).

Rafgar
02-28-2005, 11:34 PM

Thanks,
Alex

Alex,

I hope you can make the event. This facility is perfect for a school. We have use of classrooms and the lot is a huge expanse of unobstructed pavement (including a wet skidpad).

SMOODY
03-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the details on the lot situation. I know that a lot of people were not crazy about the lot at Osbourn Park High School. I liked it mainly because it is about 5 miles from my house.

What are the approximate start and end times for the autocross school? The Mrs. wants to go on the spring tour which is the next day and we plan to stay overnight the night before rather than getting up at o'dark thirty.

I am trying to figure out if I can make it to the school, drive back to Manassas to get her and get up to the hotel by dinner time.

Rafgar
03-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the details on the lot situation. I know that a lot of people were not crazy about the lot at Osbourn Park High School. I liked it mainly because it is about 5 miles from my house.

What are the approximate start and end times for the autocross school? The Mrs. wants to go on the spring tour which is the next day and we plan to stay overnight the night before rather than getting up at o'dark thirty.

I am trying to figure out if I can make it to the school, drive back to Manassas to get her and get up to the hotel by dinner time.

I liked the location of the Osbourn Park lot, but not necessarily the lot itself.

My recollection on the times for the school are 8:00am to 4:00pm, but you'll have to get confirmation from the autox chairmen.

AlfaEric
03-01-2005, 08:44 PM
I liked the location of the Osbourn Park lot, but not necessarily the lot itself.

My recollection on the times for the school are 8:00am to 4:00pm, but you'll have to get confirmation from the autox chairmen.
8am to 4pm is correct.

We suggest people show up a little early (if possible) for tech inspection and registration.

---Eric

David Hicks
03-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Is there going to be a required classroom session the night before the school like last year?

Doby
03-02-2005, 11:17 AM
IIRC, that was a P-club idea. They do that every year, but it wasn't quite fair for those that had to drive over 1.5 hours there and back.

SMOODY
03-03-2005, 09:22 AM
O.K. Thanks for the information.

Is it acceptable to leave a little early? I am not sure I can stick around until 4:00.

Also, do we have to pre-register for the class or just show up?

AlfaEric
03-03-2005, 09:36 AM
O.K. Thanks for the information.

Is it acceptable to leave a little early? I am not sure I can stick around until 4:00.

Also, do we have to pre-register for the class or just show up?
How early do you need to leave?

Registration will be through the on-line form and opens 30 days before the event. http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?autocross_registration

---Eric

bren
03-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I suppose this is limited to rookies? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/aim-angel.gif

Pete
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I suppose this is limited to rookies? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/aim-angel.gif

Yes, priority will be given to people with little or no experience in Autocrossing.

Pete

AlfaEric
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Yes, priority will be given to people with little or no experience in Autocrossing.

Pete
Is the registrar allowed to accept bribes this year? :icon_mrha

---Eric

SMOODY
03-04-2005, 07:35 AM
How early do you need to leave?
Registration will be through the on-line form and opens 30 days before the event. http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?autocross_registration
---Eric
I will probably need to split no later than 2:00 in order to make sure that I have enough time to get back to the house, pack the car, get to the hotel, and check in before dinner time.

BahnBaum
03-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Will the schedule allow two rookies to share a car?

Alex

AlfaEric
03-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Will the schedule allow two rookies to share a car?

Alex
No. Although it is possible to have multiple drivers for an autocross it will be too difficult to swap drivers for the school.

---Eric

AlfaEric
03-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Additional information about the autocross school has been posted:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=2,64,0,0,1,0

---Eric

AlfaEric
03-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Registration is open. http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?autocross_registration

---Eric

AlfaEric
03-11-2005, 11:24 AM
To anyone registering for the autocross school (especially novices)...

Heat: A heat is a run group. This is an all day event so it doesn't really apply here. Just pick one so the form will submit.

Don't worry if you are unsure what to put in the form. Just make a note of it in the comments/questions portion.

---Eric

jkuper
03-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't know where this school will be held? I mean something a little more definitive than Maryland Public Safety Education and Training Center in Sykesville, Md. Like....ummm...address? There was some discussion on BF.c but no one from NCC confirmed the address.

AlfaEric
03-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't know where this school will be held? I mean something a little more definitive than Maryland Public Safety Education and Training Center in Sykesville, Md. Like....ummm...address? There was some discussion on BF.c but no one from NCC confirmed the address.
7310 Slacks Rd
Sykesville, MD
21784-5983 US

Mapquest: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=7310+Slacks+Rd&city=Sykesville&state=MD&zipcode=21784-5983

I went out there this weekend so I know I have a set of directions that will work for most people. I'll locate them later and have them posted on school page.

---Eric

jkuper
03-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Thank you

SharkD
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
7310 Slacks Rd
Sykesville, MD
21784-5983 US

Mapquest: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=7310+Slacks+Rd&city=Sykesville&state=MD&zipcode=21784-5983

Thanks for the address!

BTW, Google's interactive map is so much more fun (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7310%20Slacks%20Rd%20Sykesville%2C%20MD&spn=0.022797%2C0.036386&hl=en).

ChosenGSR
03-25-2005, 05:06 PM
I am not too late for this am I? I have never done any events in my life so I am a complete noob! I also signed up for the highway/driving school in May. Could I do this even as well if its not too late?

AlfaEric
03-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I am not too late for this am I? I have never done any events in my life so I am a complete noob! I also signed up for the highway/driving school in May. Could I do this even as well if its not too late?
The autocross school is currently full. All new applications are being waitlisted.

---Eric

ChosenGSR
03-26-2005, 02:53 AM
The autocross school is currently full. All new applications are being waitlisted.

---Eric
I see, is this a once a year event? What is the best way to get into autocrossing?

jkuper
03-26-2005, 08:02 AM
PCA is holding a school on 4/8-9 http://www.pcachs.org/ Or you can come to the first NCC event and ask someone to ride with you.

GT
03-26-2005, 08:10 AM

---Eric

Oh, crap. I wanted to attend this soooo bad too!

ChosenGSR
03-26-2005, 08:38 AM
PCA is holding a school on 4/8-9 http://www.pcachs.org/ Or you can come to the first NCC event and ask someone to ride with you.

I just sent their organizers an email to see if it's not too late to register for their event, thanks!

Edit:

Their school is still open and they will gladly accommodate us. So those of you that missed registration this is your chance!

John V
03-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Oh, crap. I wanted to attend this soooo bad too!
Shaddap.

gatorr
03-28-2005, 10:29 AM
the school spectator friendly?

I am guessing no because two people cannot use the same car for the school...

GT
03-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Shaddap.

Oh, alright. I'll just organize another Angel Eye Drive...

NoSoup4U
03-28-2005, 05:48 PM
the school spectator friendly?

I am guessing no because two people cannot use the same car for the school...

I don't see a reason why it would not if the spectator signed the waiver and abided by the rules (that we all have to do). I would ask the registrar though.

SMOODY
03-29-2005, 08:03 AM
I don't see a reason why it would not if the spectator signed the waiver and abided by the rules (that we all have to do). I would ask the registrar though.
My son (age 10) would like to tag along. Can I assume that he would be allowed to hang around and watch the action?

Doby
03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
If people are allowed to spectate, then they are at least going to have to have all waivers signed. A minor has more to be signed then an adult.

1996 328ti
03-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Minor release form

NoSoup4U
03-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Minor release form

Thanks Steve. I'll give it to Eric and make sure he gets it signed by his parents! :D

SMOODY
03-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks! I will fill this out and bring it with me.

AlfaEric
03-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Minor release form
Just make sure it is printed in color, signed by both parents and is notarized. If the minor's parents are attending, they can sign it at the event without having it notarized.

---Eric

GT
03-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Just make sure it is printed in color, signed by both parents and is notarized. If the minor's parents are attending, they can sign it at the event without having it notarized.

---Eric

Curious...how come it needs to be printed in color?

AlfaEric
03-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Curious...how come it needs to be printed in color?
Just something I read on the insurance site. Even SCCA's forms state they must be printed in color. I'm guessing to emphasize the fact it isn't a copy. There is red text and red doesn't normally copy very well in b/w.

---Eric

SMOODY
04-06-2005, 03:46 PM
I was just looking at the location of the autocross school on the new google satellite map feature. There is a very cool picture of the area showing the entire facility. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7310+Slacks+Road+Sykesville+MD&ll=39.377232,-76.947405&spn=0.004613,0.007060&t=k&hl=en.

If the link does not work just type in the address of the facility (7310 Slacks Road Sykesville MD) and select the satellite view.

I was suprised that the facility looks more like a race track then a parking lot. Looks like fun :)

David Hicks
04-06-2005, 04:04 PM
That is uber cool. Are we actually going to use the track portion?

SharkD
04-07-2005, 05:37 PM
That is uber cool. Are we actually going to use the track portion?

Judging by comparison with a 1995 aerial photo of the same location (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?T=1&S=10&Alon=-76.941596&Alat=39.377185&W=3&opt=0&qs=7310+Slacks+Road%7c+Sykesville%7cmd%7c&addr=7310+Slacks+Rd%2c+Sykesville%2c+MD+21784&Lon=-76.941511478&Lat=39.377146939999996), I don't think the parking lot is big enough for an AutoX... so, I'd guess it will be the "track" -- probably a lot like the temp courses set up for the Hwy Safety School on the Jeff.

AlfaEric
04-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. Google maps won't work for me at work so I couldn't see what you were talking about. :(

If you scroll up a little you will see a couple large lots. :D

---Eric

SMOODY
04-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Ahhh. I did not pan around to see what was in the surrounding area. Those lots are pretty big, looks like there will be plenty of run off room ;)

SharkD
04-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Got this last night at 11pm:

Due to several drop outs we have open slots if you would still like to
attend. 8:00 AM is registration and tech. Please show up to:

7310 Slacks Rd
Sykesville, MD
21784-5983 US

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...code=21784-5983

If you would like to still attend, please feel free to do so. I apologize
for the short notice.

Hope to see you there,

Pete Lem
National Capital Autocross Chairman
BMW CCA
Thanks for thinking of me, Pete, but just a little too late in the day to let me know that I'd need to get up at 5am on a Saturday. Besides, my new autocross toy (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=795) still requires some assembly. :D

AlfaEric
04-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Got this last night at 11pm:

Thanks for thinking of me, Pete, but just a little too late in the day to let me know that I'd need to get up at 5am on a Saturday. Besides, my new autocross toy (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=795) still requires some assembly. :D
Sorry about that. We had a series of last minute cancellations (beyond what we expected). We knew it was a slim chance that anyone would get the email in time but we thought we would try anyway. ;)

---Eric

bren
04-25-2005, 08:24 AM
So, any chance results will be posted?

AlfaEric
04-25-2005, 08:45 AM
So, any chance results will be posted?
Eventually... Just not for a while. There were some registration issues that are delaying them.

---Eric

AlfaEric
05-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Autox school results are finally posted. Sorry for the delay.

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?results

---Eric

Dirichlet
05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm new to this whole autox thing. I'm curious as to how the PAX multiplier is calculated...
~Colin

ChosenGSR
05-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm new to this whole autox thing. I'm curious as to how the PAX multiplier is calculated...
~Colin
And what does PAX mean :icon_eyes

Pete
05-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Pax is a factor that theoretically makes the different classes even so you can compare your times to others in differing classes. In essence to create the PAX factors we had to see (last year) what the general time difference for each class was and we developed the Pax factor.

In essence it takes the car/class out of the equation so that you can compare your times with everyone elses. I.e. someone in a 318 can compare how he did with an M.

I'm a bit tired as I just got back into town so I hope this helps,

Pete

ChosenGSR
05-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Pax is a factor that theoretically makes the different classes even so you can compare your times to others in differing classes. In essence to create the PAX factors we had to see (last year) what the general time difference for each class was and we developed the Pax factor.

In essence it takes the car/class out of the equation so that you can compare your times with everyone elses. I.e. someone in a 318 can compare how he did with an M.

I'm a bit tired as I just got back into town so I hope this helps,

Pete
Thanks Pete, now we know.

Doby
05-20-2005, 06:54 AM
PAX should be taken lightly. It's just to have an idea as to how you did against other classes. It's not perfect in any way shape or form.