PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona

Biggins
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Is anyone going or planning to go this year? I have some use or lose miles that fit into the time when the race is happening: January 27-30.

I've been to Daytona once, but have never been to the Rolex 24. Anyone that has gone have more information on what to do or what not to do? Is this an event that is worth checking out?

Flights seem to be pretty cheap and the 4-day ticket is only $85.

woodym3
11-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I've never flown to Daytona, but the airport would be a short cab ride (or 15-20 minute walk) to the track. There are several hotels within walking distance of the track too. Expect inflated prices, but it's nice to be able to walk back to the hotel when you become throughly exhausted during the night. A hotel on the beach, or camping at the track are other options. In my opinion it's not worth going unless you are there Friday for the qualifying sessions and the 3-hour Continental Tire race. The $85 ticket will get you access to the paddock where you can rub elbows with the likes of Juan Pablo Montoya, Jimmy Johnson, and Barry Battle. You'll also have access to the pit straight (it's not really straight) grandstands, but it's a long walk through either of the tunnels. Go out on the grid an hour before the 24-Hour and see the cars and drivers introduced.