PDA

View Full Version : E46 325xiT for daily driver

agreatham
08-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Anyone have any reasons why I _shouldn't_ get a 2005 manual AWD 325 wagon with 175k mi for a daily driver? I'll be putting about 15k mi/yr on it and plan to do as much of the maintenance on it as I can following the old school maintenance program. I haven't read anything negative about the xi's but then again I haven't read anything good about them either.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Luckily, the AWD system in the E46 xi is pretty bullet proof. The primary issue is that it's likely in need of all new shocks and bushings.

It's a very nice grocery getter, albeit a bit underpowered.

agreatham
08-22-2010, 10:48 PM
It all depends on the price and condition. I'd be particularly interested on the past maintenance records. BMWs can last a long time IF they are maintained properly. The all-wheel drive will add a little extra complexity and something else to potentially go wrong.

Thanks, I've asked the seller to provide the service history if possible. He's going to make some calls to BMW dealerships in his area to see if he can get the records. Jim Eddy at Sterling BMW was able to do that for me when I brought my M3 in for an inspection so he should be able to do it.

Luckily, the AWD system in the E46 xi is pretty bullet proof. The primary issue is that it's likely in need of all new shocks and bushings.
It's a very nice grocery getter, albeit a bit underpowered.

Good to hear that about the AWD. I should be able to handle replacing the shocks and bushings myself.

agreatham
09-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Update: the Carfax report showed an extensive service history (luckily the previous owner chose a dealership that diligently sent all the data) so I went ahead and bought it for $6750. Brakes, shocks, CV boot were all changed in June plus regular 15k oil changes. I picked it up and drove it from NH to VA today (11:30am to 9:30pm with a three stops and heavy NYC traffic) and except for a flickering left headlight (forums say it might be a bad ground in the tail light), it was a blast! Oil service reads 3k so I need to get that done soon. Found this thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-117062.html) from 5 years ago on how to get to the drain plug with a post from Nick! Looks like I'm following in Nick's footsteps by getting my own 325xiT. Certainly doesn't feel underpowered to me, though ... :)

Zcruizer
09-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Good going Mike, you just bought an excellent autox car. Raise the spring rate and get a thicker sway bar up front and you're golden. Give that M3 to your son and drive the wagon. OH YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Zcruizer
09-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Oh btw, next time go around NYC. More mile, but less hair pulling.

agreatham
09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Good going Mike, you just bought an excellent autox car. Raise the spring rate and get a thicker sway bar up front and you're golden. Give that M3 to your son and drive the wagon. OH YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

You just want me to be in a different class! ;)

agreatham
09-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Congrats on the purchase. 3-series wagons are practical, and they aren't as common as Honda Civics / 3-series sedans in this neck of the woods. The only wagon-specific issue I've had was my fault, when I closed the "loop tape" (strap for the spare tire cover) in the tailgate and broke the plastic end. $8.70 for replacement. Speaking of which, you can fit a full-size spare in there if you don't already have one.

Thanks and good tip on the full-sized spare. I definitely need to get one. All I have is goo for my M3.