PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Race Shop/Tech

Auraraptor
02-15-2005, 11:17 PM
After the addition of new wheels my E38 has started tramlining as well as become generally more "sensitive" to drive. After playing with tire pressures I have cured most of the problem but it is still there.

I was thinking of adding the sport front sway bar but before I spend the 700+ for the new bar + installation I wanted to get my car checked out by a very compitant BMW expert.

I just replaced the bushings, centerlink, and arms just under 2000 miles ago.

I was thinking of adding poly uerathane non-greaseable bushings to replace the OE bushings for the various control and thrust arms and centerlink.

Where can I get my car looked at near Baltimore?

Other thoughts are welcome.

1996 328ti
02-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't think anything you mention will eliminate tramlining.
My feeling is if you make the suspension stiffer, it will be worse.
Did you put on wider tires than you normally run?

Auraraptor
02-16-2005, 09:39 AM
I don't think anything you mention will eliminate tramlining.
My feeling is if you make the suspension stiffer, it will be worse.
Did you put on wider tires than you normally run?255vs 235 All around.

1996 328ti
02-16-2005, 02:06 PM
255vs 235 All around.
Unless you search out flat roads I don't think you are going to do anything to prevent tramlining. Wide tires will do that.

Barry
03-25-2005, 07:27 PM
After the addition of new wheels my E38 has started tramlining as well as become generally more "sensitive" to drive. After playing with tire pressures I have cured most of the problem but it is still there.
I was thinking of adding the sport front sway bar but before I spend the 700+ for the new bar + installation I wanted to get my car checked out by a very compitant BMW expert.
I just replaced the bushings, centerlink, and arms just under 2000 miles ago.
I was thinking of adding poly uerathane non-greaseable bushings to replace the OE bushings for the various control and thrust arms and centerlink.
Where can I get my car looked at near Baltimore?
Other thoughts are welcome.

Tires are a real contributer to tramlining. For example, I had the wide 17" OEM rims that came with the Sport Package on the 330Ci I used to own. The car came with Michelin Pilot Sports and they did not tramline. When they wore out I replaced them with Bridgestone Pole Position S-03's and they tramlined quite a lot. The difference between the 2 tires was dramatic on the street, but on the track, their performance was pretty close to equal.
So, one suggestion I have for you is to call the tech guys at Tire Rack and ask them about tramlining & tires.
Barry