PDA

View Full Version : MD Vehicle Inspection

joebaehr
07-09-2010, 09:09 PM
My 97 328is failed on ride height. It has Bilstein PSS9s and is corner balanced so that does not surprise me. What did surprise was the response from the state trooper that the shop I was using here in Sunderland MD had on possible resolution. His statement was that my car would not pass unless I replaced the original suspension (springs actually, but of course that would require putting the struts back in also). I found a similar story from a Miata owner on the web and it seems the real requirements is minimum height for the headlight centerline. Doers anyone know a reputable shop that I can take my car too (after cranking the the coil-overs up to max ride height of course) that would actually check the required value and not fail me for hav=ing an aftermarket suspension. Calvert county vicinity would be nice, but I don't want to convert the car to a trailer queen just yet. The PSS9's are not the only mod (adj sway bars, perf bushings and camber plates, etc.) so if original suspension is the real requirement then I'll just have to "sell" the car to my Mom in Ohio!

Thanks for any help/advice the chapter cna give!

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Eastham's Exxon in Bethesda does a thorough, but fair inspection. You won't have an issue there, so long as the car is at a reasonable height.

Bit of a pain in the ass trip, but it may be worth it.

Did you talk to an actual state trooper, or are you referring to the inspector at the shop? They are two different things entirely. You can always try calling the actual state troopers to have them look at it.

mcoupemindy
07-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Send a PM to mscire2 - his car literally scrapes the ground and lives in MD. I assume this is the once a life inspection in MD?

1996 328ti
07-10-2010, 11:44 AM
The asshole place that Excluservice used for MD inspection failed my ride height. They compared my car to another E36.
The State Trooper told me as long the bottom of the car doesn't touch the ground I was OK.
Meaning if you had a flat tire the car would not touch the ground other than for the wheel.

joebaehr
07-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I only talked to the inspector, but he called the trooper while I was on hold to plead my case (I had said I could raise the height to legal by adjusting the spring perches). Not the same as talking to him myself, but I have no reason to doubt the inspector when he says the trooper stated he will not approve altered suspensions. Thanks, for the lead.

joebaehr
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Send a PM to mscire2 - his car literally scrapes the ground and lives in MD. I assume this is the once a life inspection in MD?

Yes although I bought the car in MD in 98 all the mods were made while out of state and I had FL title (active duty Navy back then) so never had the MD inspection while the car was unmodified.

Nick325xiT 5spd
07-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Try a different trooper.