PDA

View Full Version : E46 M3 Inspection II - Going Price??

Jim Dunlap
06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Our 60K time is fast approaching. Just before passing out due to price shock, I think I heard a number well in excess of $2000 come from the mouth of a certain BMW dealer's service writer. As I was collapsing to the concrete, did I also hear that the valve adjustment alone takes 12 hours of labor? Input, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Valve adjustment takes 12 hours of labor if the technician has to sleep next to the car overnight in order to make sure it's cooled down properly. It takes me 2-3 hours, so long as I ditch my car at my parents' place (where the tools are) the night before and come back in the morning (hopefully sober).

I'd call RRT and get a quote. Or consider DIYing it.

Bob
06-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Valve adjustment takes 12 hours of labor if the technician has to sleep next to the car overnight in order to make sure it's cooled down properly. It takes me 2-3 hours, so long as I ditch my car at my parents' place (where the tools are) the night before and come back in the morning (hopefully sober).

I'd call RRT and get a quote. Or consider DIYing it.

Is that a shim system? Haven't seen that since my Fiat days, btw, the Fiat dealers exchanged shims for free!

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Yep. Shimmed.

Jim Dunlap
06-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Our M3 is CPO, fully covered until Feb 2011 (we'll NEVER hit the 100,000 miles)...and we have had major engine work done recently fully covered by BMW, no charge (failed timing chain tensioner problem...nuff said about that). IOWs, I don't want to burn any bridges with BMW...but haven't I read that the service work doesn't really have to be done at a dealer, as long as it's properly documented?

Nick325xiT 5spd
06-11-2010, 11:08 AM
It's illegal for them to require you to do it at the dealer unless they provide the service free. IMHO, that's a large part of the logic behind "free" maintenance. Now that the car is CPO'd, they aren't that likely to resell it at a dealer, making where you service it a moot point.

Zcruizer
06-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey Jim,
I wouldn't fret over the adjustments. I bet when checked they'd only be slightly on the loose side. Loose is better than tight and you'd know if the gaps were getting too loose. I would imagine you don't load that engine as much as it was developed to on a consistant basis. Get a feeler gauge in there and find out yourself.

James

Jim Dunlap
06-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I had a set of feeler gauges once...used them on my '66 VW Beetle, plus a handfull of other early 60s Beetles and 1500 motors that passed thru my hands. I think they rusted into a solid hulk some 30 years ago. I hear that as often as not, and after checking say 1-3-6, the decision is: no valve adjustment actually necessary. Hmmm.

m3nace
06-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Our 60K time is fast approaching. Just before passing out due to price shock, I think I heard a number well in excess of $2000 come from the mouth of a certain BMW dealer's service writer. As I was collapsing to the concrete, did I also hear that the valve adjustment alone takes 12 hours of labor? Input, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Hey Jim,

2K is about the going rate for an Insp. II at most authorized dealers. I had my E46///M3 inspection II performed at FFXBMW and the damage was $1,200 and change. The dealer did a "modified" insp. II---the Performance Insp. II package: inspection II = 800 and valve adjustment = 400. However, this "performance" insp. II is NOT congruent with the M service manual or the "old school maintenance". The service EXCLUDES spark plugs, tranny, and differential fluid replacement. I thought plugs are to be replaced at EVERY insp. II. The tech told me tranny fluid applies only to non SMGs and diff. oil is "lifetime". Btw, I'm not a proponent of "lifetime" crap; everything will degrade over time, its basic physics. These mentioned excluded services are now optional and will be invoiced separately. The Fairfax Service Center, FSC, quoted 1,200 or so for a "comprehensive" insp. II and valve adjustment (<--I believe is included).