PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Event 06/13/2010 - Street Survival - Dulles, VA

gwilson
05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
The first Street Survival of 2010 will be held at ADESA on June 13. Note that this is a Sunday.
The initial set of dates given us by ADESA all conflicted with DEs or autocrosses. Rather than push the event into the Summer, we've decided to try a Sunday event.

Gordon

glindsay
05-05-2010, 06:23 AM
For Street Survival informatoin and registration, please see the BMW CCA Foundation website at http://www.streetsurvival.org/school-schedule.php

Greg

1996 328ti
05-05-2010, 07:55 AM
There are a lot of cars that aren't listed as tested. For example, no BMW passenger cars are listed for 1998 through 2001. Does that mean they are disqualified? But a 1993 Toyota Camry is okay?Are Toyotas built in the US? Maybe it's a bid to buy 'merican?

Edit: That is for SUVs and Minivans. I couldn't find if an X3, X5 or X6 was listed.

Real M3
05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Are Toyotas built in the US? Maybe it's a bid to buy 'merican?

Edit: That is for SUVs and Minivans. I couldn't find if an X3, X5 or X6 was listed.

BMW SAVs all have DSC so should be compliant. This whole area is new to the program this year. Based upon an incident last year with HCG vehicle that rolled. In the past we had guidance about HCG vehicles and the exercises that could not be used for them. Getting more stringent this year.

Chuck

John in VA
05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
My older son participated in Street Survival and the chapter's Highway Safety School/car control clinic in our '85 325e - no ABS, DSC or airbags.
Younger son is 15 next month - can he participate in an '85 535i (ABS, but no DSC or airbags) once he receives his learner's permit?

1996 328ti
05-05-2010, 01:19 PM
My older son participated in Street Survival and the chapter's Highway Safety School/car control clinic in our '85 325e - no ABS, DSC or airbags.
Younger son is 15 next month - can he participate in an '85 535i (ABS, but no DSC or airbags) once he receives his learner's permit?

What is the minimum and maximum age a student can be to participate in a Tire Rack Street Survival® school?
Licensed or permitted drivers, ages 16 to 21 are allowed in the program.

John in VA
05-06-2010, 08:02 PM
What is the minimum and maximum age a student can be to participate in a Tire Rack Street Survival® school?
Licensed or permitted drivers, ages 16 to 21 are allowed in the program.

Steven,
I understood the age & permit requirements, but didn't know if our car was now unwelcome!

Rafgar
05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Steven,
I understood the age & permit requirements, but didn't know if our car was now unwelcome!

John,

Sign him up when he's ready. That car is not a problem.

Rafael

John in VA
05-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Rafael.
Let's hope it survives the initial driving experience/lessons & permitting process! Maybe the hours (or actually years) of PS2 and XBox will prove to have helped his hand/eye coordination!!

mcoupemindy
05-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Rafael.
Let's hope it survives the initial driving experience/lessons & permitting process! Maybe the hours (or actually years) of PS2 and XBox will prove to have helped his hand/eye coordination!!

It was Grand Theft Auto right? You should be fine then. If the car catches on fire, you just carjack another one. (Beating up the police officer on the way is only sometimes mandatory.)

pseto
05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
it was grand theft auto right? You should be fine then. If the car catches on fire, you just carjack another one. (beating up the police officer on the way is only sometimes mandatory.)

lol

Rafgar
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
lol

Yea, that's only funny when it's not your kid in your car!!!

John, sorry, in my opinion, all that "practice time" will hurt since there's no reset button on the real BMW.

Jenson Button
05-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Yea, that's only funny when it's not your kid in your car!!!

John, sorry, in my opinion, all that "practice time" will hurt since there's no reset button on the real BMW.

Do you think kids can't tell the difference between games and real life? There is every reason to believe that playing video games helps build driving skills. The F1 teams spend millions on simulators for the drivers. (so do flight schools and the military) I used to play games before autocrosses to get my mind in gear and I am playing Road America often to learn the track in anticipation of Oktoberfest. The games out now are really really good and do a great job of reinforcing vision and visualizing things you can't see but need to be aware of. Switching between different games helps players learn to adapt to new inputs and demands. I have had students that claimed to be at their 1st driving event, and they could demonstrate the proper line in no time. When complimented, I learn from them that they play lots of driving games.

Reach
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Still, there is a difference between shouting obscenities at Gears of War and logging serious laptime with iRacing. I don't think anyone is arguing anything of importance here. :)

Yan-3
06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
i like how active this chapter is and all the events that are available in the area. will be signing up for this as well.

Biggins
06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
i like how active this chapter is and all the events that are available in the area. will be signing up for this as well.
This program is only for our younger drivers (ages 16-21), so if you fit into this category, register ASAP.

TomRogers
06-15-2010, 03:14 PM
This was a really great event! Even my normally less than enthusiastic 19 year old daughter had a GREAT time! She's still talking about it today - way to go guys!!! I hope the chapter is able to schedule more Street Survival events this year. I was really impressed with how well the school was run - the classroom training was excelent and had a lot of very useful information. My daughter was really impressed with the in car instructors as well. Just a really super job - thanks again to everyone who contributed / worked the event!

-Tom Rogers

pseto
06-16-2010, 07:52 AM
any pics or writeups from last weekend's SS?

any more feedback?