PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations?

Ethan Blank
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I searched but didn't see anything in the website on this topic.

My OEM runflats on my '07 335i (non sport) have been damaged by potholes, 2 of them have developed bulges in the sidewalls (and 2 of my snow tires, Dunlop Winter Sport SPs also had the same problem).

Any thoughts on a good replacement tire? The wheels were not damaged, so I am just looking for tires (I already have 8 wheels!).

I am somewhat inclined for the Dunlop Star Spec, but would consider an all season unless someone tells me that's a bad idea (and avoid having to switch to snow tires). I am not inclined to get a run flat tire, unless someone can convince me that I should (I'll carry a jack and a spare).

I do not track or autocross the 335, just a daily driver. Given that, I don't require a "performance tire", and cost is more a factor. That said, I didn't get a 335 to go in the slow lane, and I do appreciate a good stretch of road with some hills and curves and want a tire that will handle all that.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations.

pseto
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I have General Exclaim UHPs on mine and they're actually pretty decent for the money; plus they are M+S rated. you could run those year round, although i usually swap them for dedicated winters every year.

John in VA
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Paul's choice of the UHPs is a good one. I have a friend with them on his E28 and Honda Fit, and he's quite pleased, having run nearly every conceivable tire over the years. I'm planning to pick some up when they're no longer back-ordered in my size.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-13-2010, 09:41 AM
An inexpensive choice is the Continental DW. It's a good, inexpensive all around summer tire. It's not perfect, but it's not bad, and it's well priced.

That said, the M3 rides on Yokohama AD08s, and the S50 E30 rides on Star Specs. The M3 also gets a set of Continental DWS a/s tires for trips and cold weather, as well as Vredestein Wintracs for snow.

bmw_matt
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
The * spec's are actually fairly cheap for the performance they offer.

I agree with what everyone above me has said. General's/Conti DW's, you could also look into some Kumho Ecsta's.

Ethan Blank
04-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the input.

I was going to get the Generals from Tire Rack, but I put a call in to Ed York (York Automotive) to get his thoughts. He suggested looking into the Toyo tires, since the passenger versions of their R-comps are supposedly pretty good.

I now have my aftermarket second set of wheels at Radial Tire in Silver Spring (through the club), waiting on a shipment of the Toyo Extensa HP, which is a new tire that product allegedly an all season that has good handling and wear (or so the reviews say).

For the moment, I'm going to run the car with the run-flats, and the sidewall bulges will (hopefully) not blow out on me. Radial Tire expects the shipment by Wednesday.

I was driving my Miata until now, but I can no longer do that for the moment (but that's a whole different thread, and since it's not my BMW, it's on Miata.net).

Reach
04-18-2010, 05:47 PM
You've already made your decision, but let me recommend against the * specs for a daily-driver only.

What?

Yes, I have them and I love them for the performance they offer, but they are quite a noisy tire on the highway. Since I'm trying to wring the best grip and performance I can get out of the M3 in STU class (street tires only) for autocross they make sense for now, but I wouldn't use it if the car were not going to be campaigned for motorsport. I'm going to need tires in a few months and I'm looking favorably at NT-05's (cost, selection) and AD08's (all around performance).

I would still run a dedicated winter tire 3 months of the year no matter what I chose. Especially in a nice high-powered heavy modern BMW. Tires change everything.

agreatham
04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
That said, the M3 rides on Yokohama AD08s, and the S50 E30 rides on Star Specs.

Hey Nick, what size wheels/tires do you recommend for my M3? Thanks!