PDA

View Full Version : VA Inspection question

jdunger
02-02-2005, 07:42 PM
A few months ago I replaced the original halogen headlights in my 1997 528i with halogen angel eyes with clear (white) sides.

I'm due for my annual Virginia inspection this month and wonder if anyone who has done a similar upgrade has had any problems with the headlights during the inspection because they don't have orange sides like the originals.

I have attached two photos, showing my old and new head lights; I also posted the same photos to the Photo Gallery section. I'm not sure the best way to add photos on this new reflector.

Thanks - John

hoyabmw
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
As long as the side markers have amber bulbs in them, VA doesn't care. I've got clear markers on my E36, and they didn't even bat an eye.

Kevin

jdunger
02-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Kevin; that's what I figured the case was.

cheers - John

jdunger
02-07-2005, 04:54 PM
No problems with the Euro lights; the inspection went without a hitch today!!!

I even got a chance to give the car a good washing; at least it will look good until the next rain / snow / sleet "event"...

cheers - John

Sonti2x
02-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Related to the VA inspection question, has anyone replaced their stock airbag wheel with an aftermarket non-airbag steering wheel, and passed VA inspection?

Sonti
'95 325i

OwnedbyDuncan
02-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Last time I read what they checked during inspection since my car is illegal ie European Hella headlights and lowered I didn't notice anything about original steering wheel with airbag or anything about type of steering wheel.

You could have an interesting problem if you were in an accident and the other driver was at fault and you suffered injuries that the plaintiff's attorney could claim resulted from not having an airbag? Just a thought.

See what happens when you work with attorneys and administrative judges 5 days a week they begin to rub off on you. Since its Lent I wont say anything bad about attorneys.

hoyabmw
02-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Related to the VA inspection question, has anyone replaced their stock airbag wheel with an aftermarket non-airbag steering wheel, and passed VA inspection?

Me again. My '90 325i has an aftermarket wheel replacing the airbag wheel (among many other mods), and the inspection stations don't even bat an eye.

Kevin
'90 325i Autox toy
'97 328is

John in VA
02-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Jdunger,
WHERE did you have the inspection performed? THAT'S the biggest factor concerning what'll pass! Some inspectors are persnickety, others don't care/check.

John in Leesburg

Sonti2x
02-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Me again. My '90 325i has an aftermarket wheel replacing the airbag wheel (among many other mods), and the inspection stations don't even bat an eye.

Kevin
'90 325i Autox toy
'97 328is

Was your SRS light on? Or was it covered up?

Thanks,
Keith

hoyabmw
02-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Was your SRS light on? Or was it covered up?

Thanks,
Keith

My SRS light has been on for the past 2 years (airbag went wonky before I replaced the wheel). The airbag isn't actually on the list of items to actually be inspected in VA. See http://www.vsp.state.va.us/safety.htm#Virginia for more info about what's required to be checked. As Woody said, some stations are more anal than others.

Kevin

Cindy528e
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
The worst place to get BMW inspections is at
Great Falls Exxon They were tooooo picky Sigh...

Both my emission inspection and safety inspection
failed from their site. I do not ever intend going back
there ever again !!!!! Never again. It was one
of my worse experiences with them. Very un-pleasant.

I'm currently shopping around for a new Radiator
replacement due to its small leak. I hope to find
a good price for this particular part.

One of general mechanic man offered me $125 labor
to install this new Radiator part only if I find one.
Is this a reasonable offer ?