PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Event 01/30/2010 - Great Pie Run #4

bimmernupe
01-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Pie Run Registration (http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/14D85509-F3EA-85E6-9343651E1045B0C7) : Scroll to the bottom of the page and click continue. If you do not have an account, this will be the only time you will have to create one. The next event you sign up for will only require you to sign in.
GREAT PIE RUN #4 To Catoctin Mountain Orchard (http://www.catoctinmountainorchard.com/) in Thurmont, MD (near Camp David). A few of us have been known to leave CMO w/ 12+ pies. CMO is a mom & pop operation specializing in homemade pies, either cooked or frozen uncooked. They also have fresh fruits, preserves, jams, jellies, dressings and cider. Since we are going at the beginning of the season, everything will be in stock.
Note: I highly recommend ordering your pies ahead of time since we are a large group. The pies can be ordered freshly baked (See pics in links below of DonDon's baked pies from pie run in December 2008. Can you say pie omelet?) or uncooked frozen. Some people brought a cooler w/ them to keep their pies from sliding around in the trunk. When you place your order, reference the "BMW group" as the group you are with. The pies range in price from $8.95-$10.95. Check their site for the different types of pie.
IMPORTANT: The deadline for calling or emailing in orders for pies is COB, Thursday, January 28th. Pies I have eaten: apple walnut, strawberry, cherry crumb, peach, peach blueberry, blueberry, four berry.

We will then continue on to Bavarian Inn (http://www.bavarianinnwv.com/) in Shepherdstown, WV for lunch. They have excellent authentic German food.
From Bavarian Inn, we will travel to Loudoun County, Va. for wine tasting. Everyone who has attended the past pie runs had high praise for the wine selection. Afterwards, you can either go home or hit the Leesburg Outlets.

The route is full of fun, empty, twisty roads. This will be a fun day for a drive with people whom share your obsession. Here are the pics and reviews from the last two pie runs:
Dry Run Dec 08 (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192503&page=8)

January 09
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15442876&postcount=63
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15448714&postcount=85
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15460162&postcount=89
http://gallery.nccbmwcca.org/showgallery.php?cat=630

June 09
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5280089#post5280089
http://web.mac.com/aluckiedog1/Year_One_of_the_1**/My_Albums/Pages/PIE_RUN.html

WHEN: January 30, 2010 we will depart at 0900 SHARP from Hyattstown Volunteer Fire Department (I learned my lesson from last January. Man, it was cold!!!!)
Hyattstown VFD is located at 25801 Frederick Rd, Clarksburg, Md. 20871

Feel free to PM me or email at harlemknights02@<hidden>

If you register as a non-member, your spot will be given to a registered member if the restaurant reaches capacity. I apologize in advance, but our first responsibility is to our membership. This rule does not apply to non-members attending with a CCA member in the same car.

If you are not a CCA member, please take the time to join at www.bmwcca.org (http://www.bmwcca.org/). Use my number 369006 as the referring member. It is $48/yr and add'l $10/yr for associate memberships for people in your household. Associates have the same rights as full member, but do not receive a copy of the club magazine Roundel.
Membership perks (http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member)

mcoupemindy
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for organizing another one Algie!

For those who are on the fence about attending - just do it. Algie's Pie Run's have been great and I'd expect no different for this one.

pseto
01-12-2010, 06:53 PM
bump for a fun event!!! use the link below to register

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/14D85509-F3EA-85E6-9343651E1045B0C7

bimmernupe
01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Everyone, I spoke with Catoctin Mountain Orchard today. She has asked me to remind everyone that the day we arrive is the last weekend they will be open until May. They will have limited pies on hand of which to select.

Therefore, please order your pies in advance and you are guaranteed the type of pie(s) you want.
You have been forewarned.

pseto
01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Everyone, I spoke with Catoctin Mountain Orchard today. She has asked me to remind everyone that the day we arrive is the last weekend they will be open until May. They will have limited pies on hand of which to select.

Therefore, please order your pies in advance and you are guaranteed the type of pie(s) you want.
You have been forewarned.

they are closed for 4 months X 2-3 pies/month = 8-12 pies I need to order. My freeze aint big enough :(

bimmernupe
01-13-2010, 09:23 PM
they are closed for 4 months X 2-3 pies/month = 8-12 pies I need to order. My freeze aint big enough :(

Simple fix...BY A BIGGER FRIDGE!!! or only A FEW PIES FOR YOU!!!

Highflyr777
01-14-2010, 07:45 AM
I'd love to go, but I'll be out of town that weekend. :frown:

Paul you can keep your pies in my freezer :wink:

bimmernupe
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Looking for a few folks to participate in a dry run of the route on Sat 1/16. Hit me up if you are interested.

Also there has been a question about meet points. If someone would like to take this up, then sure. I can post the info and googlemap spot of the Montgomery Mall location we used last time. This location is ideal b/c it would get the people coming from VA and lower MoCo, PG and others. I will not be able to lead the caravan.

I am trying to serve breakfast on that morning and it would require me to be in Hyattstown @<hidden> 0730 to start setting up.

Lemme know. The caravan would need to leave btw 0730-0745

bimmernupe
01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Pat at CMO asked me to remind everyone that this is their last weekend open until May. Thus far she has only received one phone order. Remember, they will have limited pies in stock. The only way to guarantee the pie type of your choice is to call in ahead. Thursday is the DEADLINE. Let them know you are with the BMW Club.

The restaurant choice for the pie run has been changed from Bavarian Inn to Schmankerl Stube in Hagerstown. We went here during the last run and there were no complaints about the food. I apologize in advance.
PLEASE REMEMBER IF YOU PLAN TO ORDER THE PORK SHANK DISH I NEED TO KNOW BY THURSDAY 3pm. If you don’t know what I am talking about see the pics from the run in June. It is huge!!

So far we have 55 people in 29 cars. We have room for 120 people total (restaurant max). For those of you who have registered as a party of one, a tour is usually easier and more fun if you have a navigator with you to read the directions. It is not a requirement, just a suggestion .

If you have friends that are not CCA members, but were thinking about joining by all means invite them. Usually attending one chapter event will bring them into the fold.

Fingers crossed for weather.

kimokk
01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Does this happen if it snows as forecasted?

bimmernupe
01-27-2010, 08:28 PM
These are some of the emails I have sent to those registered:

Today:
Things are looking good. Weathercast I have seen this evening are saying the weather should stay south of us. Still not 100%, but looking better nonetheless. Will continue to monitor until Friday.

Yesterday:
I am closely monitoring the weather for Sat. Here are the option I am considering:

1. Cancel altogether if there is anything other than rain falling and I’ll see everyone for the June run.
2. Alternate route. Avoid back roads; do pies and lunch
3. Postpone until Sunday.

Everyone’s feddback is highly appreciated.

RamaVR6
01-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Algie,

I'd go for choices #2 or #3 - basis being; It's alot of fun to drive your tours, the people are great, and to help the local businesses - if there is a way to get out to C.M.O. and S.S. this weekend, let's go!

Jeff

pseto
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I tried to call in my order today, since its their Thursday deadline, but it seems they are only opened Fri-Sun. I'll try again tomorrow.

cconover
01-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I tried to call in my order today, since its their Thursday deadline, but it seems they are only opened Fri-Sun. I'll try again tomorrow.

I was able to call and order today no problem. Maybe you happened to call during their lunch hour?

cconover
01-28-2010, 11:08 PM
These are some of the emails I have sent to those registered:

Today:
Things are looking good. Weathercast I have seen this evening are saying the weather should stay south of us. Still not 100%, but looking better nonetheless. Will continue to monitor until Friday.

Yesterday:
I am closely monitoring the weather for Sat. Here are the option I am considering:

1. Cancel altogether if there is anything other than rain falling and I’ll see everyone for the June run.
2. Alternate route. Avoid back roads; do pies and lunch
3. Postpone until Sunday.

Everyone’s feddback is highly appreciated.

Any updates/changes due to weather at this point?

MPWR
01-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Makes sense. I emailed in a order on wednesday, and got the reply back this morning. Guess they will be busy today.

Any updates/changes due to weather at this point?

Take a look at the forecasts for Frederick and Hagerstown. Looks like it should be fine for a morning of spirited driving.

bimmernupe
01-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Tour is a go for the morning. Forecast are for a dusting if any at all for where we will be driving. It looks like that will be after lunch time if it happens. I should have breakfast at the meet point. Remember we are meeting inside. YAY, because it looks like similar temps to last yr.

We still have over 30 cars and 50 people. Plenty of room left to register. Remember you don't have to be a member to attend.

m635jim
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey Algie,
Waiting till the morning, No snow it's a go. Hope for the best.
Jim

bimmernupe
01-29-2010, 08:18 PM
According to the news we will be good to go for the areas we will be driving. Still plenty of time to get registered. If you cancelled earlier in the week you can register again. The reason for the registration is it help me given out host at each stop an accurate head count so they can be sure to be staffed properly.

mcoupemindy
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Interested to hear how the tour went with the snow ...

There would have been absolutely no way my car would even move in this white stuff. Glad I canceled now.

MPWR
01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
The section from the firehouse to CMO was a blast. The roads were clean and clear (and mostly empty), and a slight dusting of snow here and there added to the picturesque atmosphere. Got to CMO maybe 11ish, left again maybe half an hour later. Climbing back up over the ridgeline, the roads went from fine to treacherous in minutes. Coming off the ridge on the west side, they hadn't improved- so we bailed. Good thing too- I70 was really nasty all the way home. Lost track of the run off and fender bender count we passed somewhere over a dozen in maybe half an hour. The drive from Frederick to Columbia usually takes 45 min. It took nearly twice that- looked like salt and plow crews were caught unprepared. I was glad to have the new all seasons on, but I really wanted snow tires. Hope everyone else made it home safe.

bimmerfrau
01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
KUDOS to Sir Algie for a fun day. Everything from the hot breakfast at the VFD to friendly folks at the pie place, to the awesome waitstaff and food at the German restaurant.

MPWR, Treacherous is putting it lightly. Not sure when we left the restaurant (maybe 4 or so), but I got home around 7:15pm.

Greenway was slushy passable, but the Toll road was DREADFUL. Could someone please tell me WHY the center airport toll road was fresh and clear and FULL of trucks left and right plowing. Yet the MOST TRAVELLED SIDE OF THE TOLL ROAD full of cars was crapola. Hello? Can our side borrow a few trucks?
This is the first time since 2005 that i truly missed my Subaru Outback. Sorry Bimmerphiles :(

By the way, Outbacks and Explorers were the only 2 models that I DIDNT see littered on the sides of the highways. They pretty much blew by the rest of us dummies....and i mean that jokingly people.

pseto
01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
like Andy said above, the roads in the AM to CMO were great. i got myself a trunk full of pies, cider, and other fattening stuff.

on the way to lunch, we lost quite a few people who turned away because of the snow. i havent driven my e92 in that much snow in a while (see pic below of trying to get into the garage :))

lunch was great (see pic) and I'll be eating it for a copy of days. the pork shank was the size of a head of cabbage!!!

bimmernupe
01-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Every time Bob Ryan screws up on that weather, that's bad intel you're getting!

Oh, I say and I say it again, we were had!

We were took!

We were hoodwinked!

Bamboozled!

Led astray!

Run amok!

This is what He does....

Great time nonetheless. We got through the morning run with no issues. Pictures coming

Bob
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Every time Bob Ryan screws up on that weather, that's bad intel you're getting!

Oh, I say and I say it again, we were had!

We were took!

We were hoodwinked!

Bamboozled!

Led astray!

Run amok!

This is what He does....

Great time nonetheless. We got through the morning run with no issues. Pictures coming

Hey pie run guys, I feel your pain, I was watching the "slight dusting" from the Olive Garden in Whitemarsh rapidly dump 2/3 inches, and I hadn't even loaded the new bed on the trailer outside attached to the E30 318 with no abs and performance Paradas on the rear! I could barely get up 2 mild hills on the 6 mile trip home.Hope everybody escaped unscathed.

mkhartka
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
It took us 3 hours to get home to Parkton, MD. The Baltimore Beltway was an absolute mess. Thank heavens we had a great peach pie to eat for dessert after that ordeal. Here are a few photos including one of Algie who apparently thought he was still driving even though he was acutally standing in Catoctin Mountain Orchard's store. Algie, I hereby dub you, BMWman, the superhero who defeats the evil forces of boredom and indifference by organizing great tours.

bimmernupe
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
It took us 3 hours to get home to Parkton, MD. The Baltimore Beltway was an absolute mess. Thank heavens we had a great peach pie to eat for dessert after that ordeal. Here are a few photos including one of Algie who apparently thought he was still driving even though he was acutally standing in Catoctin Mountain Orchard's store. Algie, I hereby dub you, BMWman, the superhero who defeats the evil forces of boredom and indifference by organizing great tours.

Stop holding out on the pics.

prentissra
01-31-2010, 01:05 PM
The tour was fun. First part had great roads. I took possession of several pies and ate way too much for lunch. Next section to Hagerstown was fun but in a sliding way. I'm sure these roads in the dry would be a blast. Snow on them made turning a more restrained activity.

For the trip home - I am extremely thankful that I have winter tires on the touring. Hagerstown to Annapolis was a 3 hour trip and there were cars off the road everywhere on I-70 / MD 100 / I-97.

Looking forward to the next run!

Trevi
01-31-2010, 08:50 PM
The New Jersey crew had a blast. Thanks Algie and the NCC! Michelle and I are already looking foward to Pie Run #5. Hagerstown back to Rockville was only an hour drive; I70 was mostly clear, and 355 was not so bad either. The touring was covered with an inch of road salt by the time we made it back to NJ today.

See you next time!
The DelVal Gang

cconover
02-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Awesome time! I had a blast on the high-speed run from the firehouse to CMO. I was also REALLY glad I had on my winter wheels & snow tires. I didn't have any issues whatsoever going from CMO to Hagerstown, and leaving Hagerstown wasn't bad either. I headed up to Gettysburg after lunch and it was interesting to note the difference in conditions once I crossed the Pennsylvania state line. Roads were horrendous in Frederick and the general area, but as soon as I entered PA it totally cleared up and looked as if the roads hadn't even gotten snow on them.

The pies are delicious (we've already eaten 2 of the 6 I picked up). Definitely looking forward to Pie Run #5, along with the pictures from this one!

thotts
02-02-2010, 12:12 AM
From start to (early) finish, the tour was a blast. I thought the drive on the snowy mountain was picturesque and some of us thought it was romantic. But I have an XI, so I felt relatively safe, despite discovering that even my XI will slide (!). Who knew!?

The drive was the most snow-driving I'd ever done in my life. I learned a LOT about driving in the snow. It took us 2 1/2 hrs to get to Severn, MD.

I also learned that Aquaman is dramatically under-appreciated, despite his very useful ability to communicate with fish. ^_^

pseto
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
From start to (early) finish, the tour was a blast. I thought the drive on the snowy mountain was picturesque and some of us thought it was romantic. But I have an XI, so I felt relatively safe, despite discovering that even my XI will slide (!). Who knew!?

The drive was the most snow-driving I'd ever done in my life. I learned a LOT about driving in the snow. It took us 2 1/2 hrs to get to Severn, MD.

I also learned that Aquaman is dramatically under-appreciated, despite his very useful ability to communicate with fish. ^_^

Aquaman = FAIL!!! worst superhero of all time lol

cconover
02-02-2010, 11:07 AM

I'm still astounded that you guys were able to keep such a serious and heated discussion about super heroes going for as long as you did. Fascinating :tongue:

bimmernupe
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I have no comment on that conversation. SMH

cconover
02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
I have no comment on that conversation. SMH

Yeah, whatever :tongue:

RamaVR6
02-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Aquaman = FAIL!!! worst superhero of all time lol

http://www.aquamanshrine.com/

you know you want to go look.

Jeff

pseto
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
http://www.aquamanshrine.com/

you know you want to go look.

Jeff

LOL I think that furthers my argument that Aquaman is worthless.