PDA

View Full Version : Love the new look!

Zchild
12-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I really like the layout of the remodeled website. Steve, you rock!

1996 328ti
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I didn't do anything, really. It's the default skin.
It did take a few hours to figure out which plug went where with the gallery and classifieds though.
I stripped out everything so we can start with a clean slate for 2010.

I'll bring some of the mods we used to have back once they are updated.
Then I'll work on the look. Most importantly, it needs to be functional.
Things are in different places now, not unlike buying a new car.
We will all get used to it.

mcoupemindy
12-18-2009, 10:20 AM
So no more garage? That sucks.

1996 328ti
12-18-2009, 11:05 AM
So no more garage? That sucks.The garage will be back as soon as the developer updates it.
I'll move over everyone's images when it is available.

mcoupemindy
12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
The garage will be back as soon as the developer updates it.
I'll move over everyone's images when it is available.

That's good news. Has he said when he expects to have it done?

Highflyr777
12-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree, site looks great!

Reach
12-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Look is good, feel will come with time.

I miss the left side 'recent threads' bar. :)

MPWR
12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I miss the left side 'recent threads' bar. :)

Definitely.

There are so many subforums that it is difficult to track new posts. The recent posts bar is very useful for that.

pseto
12-19-2009, 09:38 PM
there is a tab at the top left called 'what's new?' that gives you the same info

1996 328ti
12-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I miss the side columns too.
The developer of the mod for the side columns will work on a new version once the forum software goes gold, meaning the official supported release.
Currently it is Release Candidate 4 and is still buggy.
Most developers wait until the gold release before upgrading their past products.

mcoupemindy
12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
New side bar looks nice.

webmaster
12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
New side bar looks nice.
I'm not liking them. They seem to slow things down. On my end anyway.
Hopefully I will be able to replace them with the previous version once available.

pseto
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
i'd be nice to see the date/time of posts too unless i'm missing them somewhere

Real M3
12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Ok, maybe I'm just a geezer, but in my opinion the new look and feel simply sux! Not very intutitive to manuever through and I miss the side bar.

Sorry, but no points for this version.

Chuck

1996 328ti
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Sort of like the first version of SMG or iDrive.
There will be a new release next week and another the following.
Need to wait for the aftermarket community to catch up.
Other than the side column, what is that different?

woodym3
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Rather than the sidebar having a bunch of lines from the post, I'd rather see who sent it. What was broke with the old message board?

And Chuck - yes you are a geezer (too).

1996 328ti
12-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Rather than the sidebar having a bunch of lines from the post, I'd rather see who sent it. What was broke with the old message board?

And Chuck - yes you are a geezer (too).I believe that is a bug that needs to be corrected in the next version.
The reason for the update is so it can integrate with the homepage.

bmwcs3
12-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok, maybe I'm just a geezer, but in my opinion the new look and feel simply sux! Not very intutitive to manuever through and I miss the side bar.

Sorry, but no points for this version.

Chuck
I agree (another geezer!). I find the new format hard to read too.

1996 328ti
12-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I agree (another geezer!). I find the new format hard to read too.I know change is hard to come by.
I remember when we closed the NCC yahoo list people didn't like the forum concept.
So we created another mailing list which no one used. ??

I am going to lay out a plan for the site in a few days.
But I need specifics what makes it hard to read.
Some things I can change, some I can't. Some I will find a way.

mdepena
12-24-2009, 11:33 AM

I am going to lay out a plan for the site in a few days.
But I need specifics what makes it hard to read.
Some things I can change, some I can't. Some I will find a way.

First of all, thank you for putting in the time and effort to get this done. Most people don't seem to realize that volunteers run this organization and unlike a business, do this in their spare time and with no pay! So, thank you.

Here are my 2 cents:
- the color (light blue) does not provide enough contrast to those of us that use reading glasses - too soft
- the bars or colors between each thread just merge into each other
- I tend to use the "New Posts" and this version does not delineate between the last posts I viewed and old posts. The previous version indicated or separated older posts not viewed.
- the left-side bar disappears when you use the "New Posts" feature. I would be nice to maintain it.

The new look does seem more modern, but in a less than positive way. If we had the ability to modify color patterns, then everyone could customize to their liking. And maybe it's there, but I couldn't find it.

1996 328ti
12-24-2009, 12:34 PM
- the color (light blue) does not provide enough contrast to those of us that use reading glasses - too soft
You had to see the first beta version. :) It was much less contrast, but I agree. Everything is too soft for me.
That is easily changed, but first I want to work on the functionality. In a few months I can work on different styles.
This software is the first public version and will probably be many, many revisions.

- the bars or colors between each thread just merge into each other
Yea. I need to squint to see them. I'll work on making them darker.

- I tend to use the "New Posts" and this version does not delineate between the last posts I viewed and old posts. The previous version indicated or separated older posts not viewed.I'll look into that.

- the left-side bar disappears when you use the "New Posts" feature. I would be nice to maintain it.Currently the left side block is only one one page.
The modification used in the last version still needs to be updated. As soon as it is, I'll install it.

The new look does seem more modern, but in a less than positive way. If we had the ability to modify color patterns, then everyone could customize to their liking. And maybe it's there, but I couldn't find it.You can't change the colors, but within a few months I hope to have different styles that people can choose from.
The software was officially released Dec 21. There are many bugs still being fixed and features being requested.

I hope to present a new homepage Jan 1 which will integrate with the forum allowing committee chairs more flexibility.
Thanks!

mdepena
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I am really liking the new look. Lots of improvements since my last post. The landing page is hands down better than it was.

Great job!

1996 328ti
01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I am really liking the new look. Lots of improvements since my last post. The landing page is hands down better than it was.

Great job!Thanks.
By the landing page, the home page?
The goal is for each chapter program to have their own static page.
I'm trying to get as much automated as possible.
A person hosting an event should only need to post the event once and have it appear in multiple places.
If an event organizer wants to post an event at 3:00am, they should be able to.
Still bringing in the Motorsport Registration system to the site.
The forum software is still very new and features will be added.

Once the software becomes stable and don't expect any more major changes, then it will be time to change the style a bit.

AG
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM
For whatever reason, I had to log into the forums today and there appears to be an issue with the placement of the rotating images at the top of the page. Basically, the image covers the "Remember Me" check box, preventing it from being selected even though it is visible. This is happening in Firefox on Windows XP w/ AdBlockPlus enabled. Best I can tell, this is the only log-in point into the forums and the only way to make the user ID persistent.

mcoupemindy
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
For whatever reason, I had to log into the forums today and there appears to be an issue with the placement of the rotating images at the top of the page. Basically, the image covers the "Remember Me" check box, preventing it from being selected even though it is visible. This is happening in Firefox on Windows XP w/ AdBlockPlus enabled. Best I can tell, this is the only log-in point into the forums and the only way to make the user ID persistent.

I'm having the same issue however I had this issue when Steven first released this and it went away for some time.

1996 328ti
01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
For whatever reason, I had to log into the forums today and there appears to be an issue with the placement of the rotating images at the top of the page. Basically, the image covers the "Remember Me" check box, preventing it from being selected even though it is visible. This is happening in Firefox on Windows XP w/ AdBlockPlus enabled. Best I can tell, this is the only log-in point into the forums and the only way to make the user ID persistent.I had it so the image would be below the remember me using Firefox and Explorer.
Has this problem just started? The software was just updated and I see it behaving slightly different now when I'm not logged in.
I will work on it.

Edit: Just check the test site. That's what it is. Something changed. I'll get it fixed tonight.

1996 328ti
01-13-2010, 03:17 PM
It seems the new update is not necessarily IE8 friendly. For example, the check box under the sign-in could not be checked. It's working fine in compatibility mode.

A work in progress.

VicI noticed that. The header changed a bit. Instead of links going across, it looks like links are now underneath one another taking up valuable real estate. I'll get it fixed.

1996 328ti
01-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Basically, the image covers the "Remember Me" check box, preventing it from being selected even though it is visible.

It seems the new update is not necessarily IE8 friendly. For example, the check box under the sign-in could not be checked. It's working fine in compatibility mode. Is it better now?

AG
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Is it better now?

Much, yes. Thanks.

1996 328ti
01-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Okay, so I spoke too soon. Selecting the reply button in IE8 works sporadically. Again, in compatibility mode, it's fine.

VicI'll see if I can install IE8 and check things out.

1996 328ti
02-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I guess something has changed recently. I'm using IE8. When I click on forum tools in a forum, the dialogue box shows up behind the topics. I usually click there to mark the forum read. I've tried this on two different computers with the same result.

Vic

I added a line so IE8 would go into compatibility mode.
What happens when you turn compatibility mode off on IE?

Looks like I may need to come up with another idea.
Edit: Were you able to see the RSVP list in the social forum prior to yesterday?

1996 328ti
02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I reverted back.
Looks like my line fixes one thing and breaks another.

So the solution for now at least is to run IE8 in compatibility mode.

1996 328ti
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
So no more garage? That sucks.The garage has been reinstalled.