PDA

View Full Version : (2009) Act Fast: Autocross Helmet Group Buy!

mcoupemindy
12-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi All!

I've finally found a supplier to "play ball" with helmet pricing for us and I've negotiated a rock bottom price on autocross helmets!

$70.00 each for Snell M-Rated helmets, black or white, open or closed face.

This is the LOWEST price I've ever seen offered on Snell Rated helmets. :)

All the details and ordering information is attached.

There's no limit to the number of helmets or orders - they just need to be postmarked no later than December 19, 2009.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Jonathan Thayer

BradMW
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Do they come in pink?

mcoupemindy
12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Do they come in pink?

LOL :)

Nope, just Black or White.

Highflyr777
12-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Do they come in pink?

:icon_no: oh my my my

pseto
12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
thats an excellent price, hopefully people will pounce on that offer

Highflyr777
12-14-2009, 03:13 PM

I did already mailed in the order!

mcoupemindy
12-14-2009, 03:23 PM

I'm hoping that many will take advantage of this offer and price.

I don't think that that we'll ever be able to do it again for this cheap.

Please spread the word to anyone that could use a helmet.

adam
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Are those motorcycle helmets? EDIT: just saw the 'M' part so that answers that question.

And what's the rating year? 2005 or 2010?

mcoupemindy
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Are those motorcycle helmets? EDIT: just saw the 'M' part so that answers that question.

And what's the rating year? 2005 or 2010?

Snell M 2005

woodym3
12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
I understand Snell 2010 helmets are not expected to be available until next fall.

moxnix
12-14-2009, 05:57 PM
I understand Snell 2010 helmets are not expected to be available until next fall.

Snell SA2010 rated helmets will not be available until Oct 1 2010 but Snell M2010 helmets should be available now (Most likely the reason they are willing to deal on M2005 helmets now).

The M2005 will still be good for another 10 years for most autox groups (current + 2 prior) and by that time you will want to replace it anyway.

GaryG
12-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm really thinking about picking one of these up! I'm not very familiar with the ratings on these helmets but could this helmet also double as a karting and other track events(HPDE) helmet?

mcoupemindy
12-15-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm really thinking about picking one of these up! I'm not very familiar with the ratings on these helmets but could this helmet also double as a karting and other track events(HPDE) helmet?

It depends on what organization is running those events. I would check with the actual program guidelines of those organizations.

I can however confirm that these helmets will meet the SCCA and BMWCCA (and all others that I know of) autocross requirements for the next 9 years.

1996 328ti
12-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm really thinking about picking one of these up! I'm not very familiar with the ratings on these helmets but could this helmet also double as a karting and other track events(HPDE) helmet?It depends on the organization.

M is Motorcycle
SA is Special Applications

They are tested differently.
M2005 http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2005/m2005_final.html
M2010 http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2010/m2010_final.htm

SA2005 http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/sak2005/sa_k2005_final.html

Without reading everything, I think the major differences are impact tests and fire retardancy.

Edit: Looks like Jonathan beat me while I was looking up links.

woodym3
12-15-2009, 10:42 AM

If you think you might be doing HPDE events in the future, while not required for National Capital Chapter events, I would recommend getting a closed face helmet with a Snell SA rating. A full-face helmet with eye shield is a necessity for karting (unless you like eating rubber).

phenryiv1
12-15-2009, 11:04 AM
One HUGE recommendation here, speaking from experience: Try before you buy.

I bought a CL-5 a few months ago (same M2005 rating) for $55 at my local shop, and while the measurements said I needed a Medium, I ended up witrh a Small based on fit and comfort.

I tried on both of these helmets and they fit differently from each other and from my CL-5. Even if you have to go to a shop where you don't intend to buy, og and try these models on before you commit.

Had I ordered based on measurements and sizing charts, I'd have an ill-fitting helmet. As it is, I got fit advice from a professional (not that all shop employees will be knowledgable) and knew that it would fit.

phenryiv1
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
If you think you might be doing HPDE events in the future, while not required for National Capital Chapter events, I would recommend getting a closed face helmet with a Snell SA rating.
Following this logic is a definate for experienced guys who know that they will benefit from the additional expenditure associated with buying an SA helmet.

N00bies (on the other hand) may benefit from an open-face helmet that is inexpensive and allows them to run in local events. The open face is a lot easier to adapt to, and at this price, you can have a nice introductory helmet without laying out a ton of cash on a full-face SA helmet. If (when) you get hooked and need a higher-rated helmet, you know more what you want/need out of a helmet and buy (an SA helmet) accordingly.

As I already have my CL-5, I plan to run it in any event where it is permitted and buy a nicer SA helmet in the future for other events. If I do that, I at least have my open-face helmet if I don't want to run a full-face for autoX events.

darkfiber
12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Can I order a closed face with a tinted mirrored shield instead of clear?

mcoupemindy
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM

No. However I think that you can buy just a shield for HJC.

To do this deal, what you see is what you get.

woodym3
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Only if the shield is tinted blue, you wear an all white driver's suit, and never say a word.

darkfiber
12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Only if the shield is tinted blue, you wear an all white driver's suit, and never say a word.

Some say he thinks Star Wars is documentary and that he has a life sized tatoo of his face, on his face...

Biggins
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM
What's wrong with having more than one helmet?

My next helmet will probably be an M open face for autocross only. I already have my SA full face, but I'd prefer the open face for autocross. This is a steal of a deal for anyone who needs a helmet for autocross.

95Maxrider
12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Is it possible to try on the helmet before we buy? I would really like to make sure it fits me well since I doubt they will let me trade.....

mcoupemindy
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Is it possible to try on the helmet before we buy? I would really like to make sure it fits me well since I doubt they will let me trade.....

Sure ... if you find a friend with a HJC helmet.

Highflyr777
12-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a large HJC Full face if anyone is interested in trying it on. Though with the cutoff being tomorrow I don't know when or how this will work.

mcoupemindy
12-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I have a large HJC Full face if anyone is interested in trying it on. Though with the cutoff being tomorrow I don't know when or how this will work.

I have a Large HJC open face in my car. I work in Ashburn, VA if anyone wants to test fit.

They have until Sat to get it postmarked.