PDA

View Full Version : (2009) ChapterFest AutoX Results Posted

mcoupemindy
09-27-2009, 09:07 AM
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168

Enjoy!

forrealb50
09-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Thank you! Very happy with my 50.999 in my stock 06 325xi!!! I can't wait to ditch the 16x7 runflats next year.

ronh21
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
An S2000 won Showroom 1, with a Boxter slotting in sixth :)

Also, a 2006 M Coupe in T2 that seems to belong in T1

Munchenman2
09-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Waytogo, car 203! Second in class!

In addition to obvious driver skill, perhaps your DIY efforts at preventative maintenance et al are helping to keep you at the front.

Slainte,
Alan :tongue:

agreatham
09-27-2009, 11:57 AM

Also, I believe the M5 in S1 should be in S2.

Reach
09-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Waytogo, car 203! Second in class!

In addition to obvious driver skill, perhaps your DIY efforts at preventative maintenance et al are helping to keep you at the front.

Slainte,
Alan :tongue:

Thanks Alan!

However, my driving skill remains in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFU3b7bSLbo&feature=channel_page

I went too fast through the back gates and missed one of the gates for an 'off course' on that run, you can hear it called on the video. At that point I just thought I'd have some fun and go entirely too fast through the slalom section, and earn my 'captain backwards' nickname again.

Bogdan remains the big dog to beat. I can never touch his times.

steamedturtle
09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Somehow I went off course on runs 1,2 and 4. But from the times that I heard, the 3rd was still my fastest. But I got videos of all 4 of my runs, and I can't for the life of me see where I went off. If I didn't see it at the time, I don't know what I'd see different now.. who knows.

ronh21
09-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Somehow I went off course on runs 1,2 and 4. But from the times that I heard, the 3rd was still my fastest. But I got videos of all 4 of my runs, and I can't for the life of me see where I went off. If I didn't see it at the time, I don't know what I'd see different now.. who knows.

Want to post one? Maybe we can see it.

RedMS3
09-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Did anyone notice the gray E92 M3 going off course every run? It didn't look like he wanted to slow down around the islands because he just ignored a gate or two that was meant for slowing vehicles down on every run. I thought his disregard for the course design was rather ridiculous.

steamedturtle
09-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I figured it out. I took the left entrance to slalom, but in my brain, I thought I took the right entrance. So I did the exit wrong.

slick230
09-27-2009, 04:11 PM

What was your car number, I have a few more videos I haven't posted yet. I can check what I have.

civicexracer
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
damn just .6sec from FTD...closest to FTD I've been ever probably. Had a blast at the event, really well organized. Wish I could have made previous BMW events. Looks like my dad's going to join the club now lol.

my in-car vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Q3MHNO26A

Thanks for a good event!

mcoupemindy
09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
damn just .6sec from FTD...closest to FTD I've been ever probably. Had a blast at the event, really well organized. Wish I could have made previous BMW events. Looks like my dad's going to join the club now lol.

my in-car vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Q3MHNO26A

Thanks for a good event!

We're considering making the non-bmw class next year an SCCA PAX class too :)

civicexracer
09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
We're considering making the non-bmw class next year an SCCA PAX class too :)

If I were PAXed better(I'm on street tires but their rating is just less than 210...) I would have had FTD for PAX. Makes me wish I had some R-Compounds laying around for these events.

RedMS3
09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
If I were PAXed better(I'm on street tires but their rating is just less than 210...) I would have had FTD for PAX. Makes me wish I had some R-Compounds laying around for these events.

Out of curiosity, what do you have done to that Civic?

civicexracer
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you have done to that Civic?

It's prepped for Street Touring for SCCA so...I/H/E, re-valved shocks, coilovers with custom rates, some other suspension goodies, and sticky street tires, that's about it.

The MR2 that ran is also in Street Touring(STS since it's a 2 seater) and they have similar mods as my car, just different tires(R1R's).

Biggins
09-27-2009, 07:57 PM
...and to think there was a time when I could competitively duke it out with you in ST(S). I have to say your skills + car have progressed so much since '07. I'm nowhere near your times anymore. :frown: Great driving AJ!!!

I know I easily would have broken 50 (and caught Sam) if the rain had held out for 30 more minutes, but that's the way things happen sometimes. My quickest non-coned run was in the steady rain on my fourth run. :rolleyes:

civicexracer
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
...and to think there was a time when I could competitively duke it out with you in ST(S). I have to say your skills + car have progressed so much since '07. I'm nowhere near your times anymore. :frown: Great driving AJ!!!

I know I easily would have broken 50 (and caught Sam) if the rain had held out for 30 more minutes, but that's the way things happen sometimes. My quickest non-coned run was in the steady rain on my fourth run. :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot Chris! Yeah I figured out the car's setup better and def. have had a lot of seat time to boot. Good to see you're still out there running!

RedMS3
09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
It's prepped for Street Touring for SCCA so...I/H/E, re-valved shocks, coilovers with custom rates, some other suspension goodies, and sticky street tires, that's about it.

The MR2 that ran is also in Street Touring(STS since it's a 2 seater) and they have similar mods as my car, just different tires(R1R's).

Nice. I didn't get to see you run since I arrived at about the start of the 2nd AM session. I checked out your video and it was cool to see you getting more aggressive as the runs went on. Your last slalom was quick. Thanks for uploading the vid!

If you couldn't tell from the username, I ran a stock red Mazdaspeed3 (there were two, I'm the guy).

SamB325es
09-27-2009, 08:26 PM

I think you had a passenger for the first run which was a 50.something, you definately would have broke 50 sec.

One of the reasons I stopped doing AI and SCCA events was being embarassed by A.J. and his civic, Now he comes to my turf and makes me feel slow...

Next time he shows up when I empty my trunk out I am going to put my crap in the back if his car, I encourage all of you to do the same.

95Maxrider
09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
I had a blast at the event and really liked 98% of the course (my boat couldn't handle some of the real tight turns).
Not that it really matters, but the results didn't rank me by my best time. My second run was a 53.711+1 but it used my 4th run of a 55.357 as my FTD. I think it also happened to Bobby in his 330.

Biggins
09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Not that it really matters, but the results didn't rank me by my best time. My second run was a 53.711+1 but it used my 4th run of a 55.357 as my FTD. I think it also happened to Bobby in his 330.
53.711+1=55.711 which is not as fast as a 55.357... the results are right.

Sammyzuko
09-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Did anyone notice the gray E92 M3 going off course every run? It didn't look like he wanted to slow down around the islands because he just ignored a gate or two that was meant for slowing vehicles down on every run. I thought his disregard for the course design was rather ridiculous.
I talked to him in the paddock before he ran and he said this was his first autox. I'm guessing he did that because of inexperience. He definitely could've used an instructor in his car.

civicexracer
09-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I think you had a passenger for the first run which was a 50.something, you definately would have broke 50 sec.

One of the reasons I stopped doing AI and SCCA events was being embarassed by A.J. and his civic, Now he comes to my turf and makes me feel slow...

Next time he shows up when I empty my trunk out I am going to put my crap in the back if his car, I encourage all of you to do the same.

wait who is this? car? I reeeeeeally hope that's a joke because that's the last thing I want anyone to do is miss events because of me lol.

SamB325es
09-28-2009, 06:47 AM
It is sarcasm, nice driving A.J.
I really stopped doing AI events when we all got kicked out of Aberdeen. That was a great lot really close to my house.
In truth my car (gold 86 325es) is totally outclassed in scca also. I was racing with a well driven Mustang Bullitt last time I was at an SCCA event (not even close).
I also like the more laid back NCC autocrosses as compared to SCCA.

So please come back and keep smokin' the course!

I hope "speedtheory" comes out to put his money where his big mouth is.

Luda
09-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks to everyone who helped make the event possible! it was an awesome event, event though i got called into work part way through but im glad everyone enjoyed it!

and i think we all know speedtheory wont actually autox at one of our events for any number of excuses, but he will never throw down to back up his claims, i mean it would look real bad for him to get beat by my boat of a car.

Jim Dunlap
09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Fun day...thanks for everyone's hard work! A comment and 2 questions:

A comment - I was working the course near the finish so could listen to times as they were announced. Honestly, during the wet sessions the times didn't sound that much different than those earlier in the day...which is to say, my impression at the time was, "...hmmm, the rain doesn't seem to be making that much of a difference." Might not sound logical, but I was hearing quite a few low 50s and even some high 40s. Now for those that are sure that, "I could have done better...," well, you didn't do that badly as it was.

Question 1 - (overlooking my motivation for asking) how do the Honda and Boxster fit into S1?
Question 2 - why the top down during runs for the E46 convertible?

Again - fun day and thanks to All!!

adam
09-28-2009, 09:45 AM

A comment - I was working the course near the finish so could listen to times as they were announced. Honestly, during the wet sessions the times didn't sound that much different than those earlier in the day...which is to say, my impression at the time was, "...hmmm, the rain doesn't seem to be making that much of a difference." Might not sound logical, but I was hearing quite a few low 50s and even some high 40s. Now for those that are sure that, "I could have done better...," well, you didn't do that badly as it was.

Question 1 - (overlooking my motivation for asking) how do the Honda and Boxster fit into S1?

Look at Brian Hair's times - they went up significantly once it started raining.

They don't fit they are misclassed and we will be putting them in the correct classing soon.

Dunno...

Thanks for coming! Glad you had a great time out there and hopefully you had enough food =).

-- Adam

BradMW
09-28-2009, 09:45 AM

Answer 2 - better balance and lower cg, at least that is what I tell myself and all empirical evidence suggests I'm correct in my assumption. The "added rigidity" (god knows I need rigidity) with the top up is non-existent as far as I can tell. Top down usually cuts a second off my time, so I've just started leaving it down, even when raining. Only time I regretted it was the end of Event 4 or 5, when I got a little over-aggressive and ended up cruising into the finish box sideways, sending a tidal wave into the driver side of the car; I'll try to get back to you on the science of how that actually happened.

RedMS3
09-28-2009, 10:19 AM

A comment - I was working the course near the finish so could listen to times as they were announced. Honestly, during the wet sessions the times didn't sound that much different than those earlier in the day...which is to say, my impression at the time was, "...hmmm, the rain doesn't seem to be making that much of a difference." Might not sound logical, but I was hearing quite a few low 50s and even some high 40s. Now for those that are sure that, "I could have done better...," well, you didn't do that badly as it was....

Although I ran a pretty good time in the ran, it was impossible for me to get a good launch. Having 280 lb/ft of torque and FWD does not make for quick launches in the rain.

Some parts of the course seemed OK even when wet (e.g. the slalom and backside U), but others were pretty slick (e.g. the decreasing radius turn before the finish). However, I did notice some people getting sideways even in the dry on that part. I think I could have easily knocked off a second, maybe two, if I had driven in the dry, but that's conjecture.

agreatham
09-28-2009, 12:56 PM

And the M5! Don't forget to move the M5! Move those three out and I get a fifth place ranking! :biggrin:

By the way, Jim, my unofficial tally for S1 has the following points (these include removing the non-S1 cars from Saturday's results):

James L. -- 7 events, 60 points
Jim D. -- 6 events, 48 points
Bertran B. -- 5 events, 35 points
agreatham -- 5 events, 22 points

If I understand the point system correctly, I think that if both Bertran and I show up next event, that makes four qualifying drivers, so both you and James should get trophies. (4 * 1/3 = 1.3 ; 1.3 ~ 2). If neither or only one of us shows up, then there will only be three qualifying drivers, so only 1/3 of that (1 person) will get trophies (James L.). And the way the points are, James L. could sit the next one out and still win.

agreatham
09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
The "added rigidity" (god knows I need rigidity)

I think they make a pill for that ... :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

gbauer
09-28-2009, 06:25 PM
I had a blast at the event and really liked 98% of the course (my boat couldn't handle some of the real tight turns).
I must have left before you got there! Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you run.

For the record: I kicked your butt by 2 seconds this time... :tongue:

gbauer
09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
BTW: did anyone get a pic of my little blue cloud of smoke and the two black strips left on the lot going into the last sweeper? I'd really like to get it if you managed to snap it.

Jim Dunlap
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
"If I understand the point system correctly, I think that if both Bertran and I show up next event, that makes four qualifying drivers, so both you and James should get trophies. (4 * 1/3 = 1.3 ; 1.3 ~ 2). If neither or only one of us shows up, then there will only be three qualifying drivers, so only 1/3 of that (1 person) will get trophies (James L.). And the way the points are, James L. could sit the next one out and still win."

Geezzz: how to destroy my motivation in one simple swipe! But long ago I learned to counter any and all psychological threats. Let's see. Hmmm. (Not burning rubber, just me thinking.) OK, I've got it. So James wins and gets the only trophy. But he has a new baby that he has to coddle and pay for over the next 20+ years, and my youngest is 28 years old with all bills paid off. Voila!! Now I feel motivated again. And truthfully, the more cars that show up, the merrier, and this includes you, Mike!!

skidmarc
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, I'm an autocross virgin no more. Heck, I even got best in class (I was alone in S4) driving my dated automatic '76 2002. I was hoping to score in the late 50's, but it didn't quite happen. I blame it on the rain - rather my apprehension about driving my car like a madman in it.

I'm looking forward to developing my skills as a driver and builder/tuner and applying them to the '02 and the other car. This is just the start.

It was great meeting some of you and participating in such a well-run event. I'm looking forward to my next event and getting my feet even wetter.

Cheers,
Marc

Bimmer3
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Marc,
I was working the course while you were driving in the 4th heat. I am not familiar with how the 2002 automatic works, but next time try to use 1st and 2nd gear more, instead of just putting it in D. If you can manually shift up to second gear and back down to first when needed, you might find you are much quicker. I'd bet you might have been giving up about 3-5 seconds each run. I think you were losing time due to the car's relative lack of acceleration since it was probably in too high a gear for most of the course.

Brian Hair

95Maxrider
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I've been keeping track of the non-BMW points, and they are as follows:

Pete Lem- 54
Jerry Byrd- 23 (only 4 events)
Fred Caton- 18 (wrong class, now in XR)
Mike King- 15 (only 3 events)
Nick Drymalski (Me)- 15 (all events!)
Beltowski, Michael 15 (only 2 events)

So through my sheer persistence (and lack of anything better to do) I'm in second place after Pete! Woo hoo!

blah blah blah 2 seconds blah blah blah

Yeah, rain will do that ;)

Oh, did I mention that this whole time I thought I had ES bushings in the front of my car, but it turns out the mechanic who I paid to do the job just didn't install them and charged me for it? Yeah, so between not having those installed (I ordered new ones....$100 down the drain) and my leaking 96 steering rack which has the responsiveness of the rack in my mom's old Crown Vic (which is being replaced by the superior 97 SE rack), the car has a lot of room for improvement.

BradMW
09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I've been keeping track of the non-BMW points, and they are as follows:

Pete Lem- 54

So through my sheer persistence (and lack of anything better to do) I'm in second place after Pete! Woo hoo!

Yeah, rain will do that ;)

Oh, did I mention that this whole time I thought I had ES bushings in the front of my car, but it turns out the mechanic who I paid to do the job just didn't install them and charged me for it? Yeah, so between not having those installed (I ordered new ones....$100 down the drain) and my leaking 96 steering rack which has the responsiveness of the rack in my mom's old Crown Vic (which is being replaced by the superior 97 SE rack), the car has a lot of room for improvement.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if that data is true, then there would only be 1 trophy for all of XS due to 2 people "qualifying" (six events) even though tons raced throughout the season?

MazdaSC
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
The lack of any trophy in XS or XR keeps some of us from consistently showing up, so to track the points in non-competitive class doesn't make sense. If there were a prize available it would be a totally different story, 15 points wouldn't mean much.

adam
09-29-2009, 09:14 PM

Pete Lem- 54

I've got 10 points!

The lack of any trophy in XS or XR keeps some of us from consistently showing up, so to track the points in non-competitive class doesn't make sense. If there were a prize available it would be a totally different story, 15 points wouldn't mean much.

Is the trophy really that important?? It costs $20 you can always buy one yourself...

MazdaSC
09-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Is the trophy really that important?? It costs $20 you can always buy one yourself...[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't really mean that much for just the trophy, but it would probably be worth it for some just to be recognized and give them a reason to attend more events. I know that it matters to many of the BMW guys why wouldn't it matter to us.

ronh21
09-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Is the trophy really that important?? It costs $20 you can always buy one yourself...

No it doesn't really mean that much for just the trophy, but it would probably be worth it for some just to be recognized and give them a reason to attend more events. I know that it matters to many of the BMW guys why wouldn't it matter to us.

Adam, they pay the same amount we do (more?) and that seems pretty cheap for a trophy in the big scheme of things, if it encourages the same season-long participation and competition that we encourage for BMWs. Without the non-BMWs, would we even be able to continue running the events?

mcoupemindy
09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Adam, they pay the same amount we do (more?) and that seems pretty cheap for a trophy in the big scheme of things, if it encourages the same season-long participation and competition that we encourage for BMWs. Without the non-BMWs, would we even be able to continue running the events?

Please remember that the trophy rule was written as a minimum number of trophies ...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

And yes, as far as financial sufficiency of the program, the non-BMW participants are an integral part of the program. I am personally going to revisit this for next season and make some changes in a.) how we class non-BMW's and b.) how we recognize those who participate.

Car54
09-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Losers buy the winner a trophy out of respect?!?! You have 3 months to get the trophy together for the banquet. I'm sure the banquet will allow for the person(s) to be recognized.

adam
09-30-2009, 04:19 PM
For the record, I've always been in favor of non-BMWs getting trophies for their classes.

ronh21
09-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Losers buy the winner a trophy out of respect?!?! You have 3 months to get the trophy together for the banquet. I'm sure the banquet will allow for the person(s) to be recognized.

I'd be good with that :) Can we pick whatever trophy we want?

gbauer
10-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Please remember that the trophy rule was written as a minimum number of trophies ...

And yes, as far as financial sufficiency of the program, the non-BMW participants are an integral part of the program. I am personally going to revisit this for next season and make some changes in a.) how we class non-BMW's and b.) how we recognize those who participate.
Can I reclassify my roady to non-bmw? Perhaps that way I can get a trophy.... :confused:

...then again, probably not.:frown:

MazdaSC
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM

It would be a good idea for next season and if the non-BMW guys know in advance I am sure you will see more consistent attendance for the points chase. Maybe even encourage them to become members as a side benefit.

RedMS3
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
It would be a good idea for next season and if the non-BMW guys know in advance I am sure you will see more consistent attendance for the points chase. Maybe even encourage them to become members as a side benefit.

4 events makes up for the membership cost! I signed up late, but I'll more than make up the cost of the membership next season.

I think you're right about consistent attendance, but I wonder if we'd need more than two classes so that some drivers and their respective vehicles have more than a snowball's chance in hell of placing in the points race. Maybe a novice class would be a good idea. Personally, I'm not after a trophy because I would simply be outclassed (in both vehicle and skill) and I'm using these autocross events to get my feet wet for future racing (I hope).

MazdaSC
10-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I think that going back to the previous XR/XS tire spec's would help things out a bit, generally the most modified cars are also the ones running R-comps. If they add anymore classes it seems like a stock class would make the most sense. Maybe something like "Stock" with tires down to a 240 treadwear and no mods. "Touring" class with bolt-on mods and tires down to 180 treadwear. "Modified" to cover everything else.

RedMS3
10-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I think that going back to the previous XR/XS tire spec's would help things out a bit, generally the most modified cars are also the ones running R-comps. If they add anymore classes it seems like a stock class would make the most sense. Maybe something like "Stock" with tires down to a 240 treadwear and no mods. "Touring" class with bolt-on mods and tires down to 180 treadwear. "Modified" to cover everything else.

Don't forget the first generation Speed3 comes stock with tires that are 140 treadwear. I'd bitch more, but the season isn't over and talks aren't up for reclassification just yet :)

mcoupemindy
10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Don't forget the first generation Speed3 comes stock with tires that are 140 treadwear. I'd bitch more, but the season isn't over and talks aren't up for reclassification just yet :)

Good call - let's wait until after the season to get into this. The annual meeting is the place for this conversation. Thanks!

civicexracer
10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
If there is/was a prize from these event's I would be more tempted to attend these events. Only problem is I already had enough events with other clubs and a lot of BMW events are the same day as SCCA events... Def. a good idea to level out the classes better and allow for a trophy at the end of the season.

zeroselect
10-02-2009, 07:04 AM

The M Coupe was me and i should be in T1 not T2. Either way i would have been thrid. If i didn't end up coning or off course i would have been first.:wink:

It was my first BMWCCA event and i had a good time. The event was well organized. I usually attend SCCA events and instruct at track.

I wish the tire ruling was different as well. The only reason i'm in T1 rather than S1 is for tires. Well i guess it won't matter next year when i do the suspension.:tongue:

I had a good time but the course really didn't have a flow to it. I understand they were trying to slow cars down for the islands but it could have been made so you just go straight through.

adam
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM
The M Coupe was me and i should be in T1 not T2. Either way i would have been thrid. If i didn't end up coning or off course i would have been first.:wink:

It was my first BMWCCA event and i had a good time. The event was well organized. I usually attend SCCA events and instruct at track.

I wish the tire ruling was different as well. The only reason i'm in T1 rather than T2 is for tires. Well i guess it won't matter next year when i do the suspension.:tongue:

I had a good time but the course really didn't have a flow to it. I understand they were trying to slow cars down for the islands but it could have been made so you just go straight through.

T1 and T2 are for E9X M3 and E36 M3 respectively (and other cars, those are just an example). Did you mean 'I'm in T1 rather than S1 is for tires..." ?

zeroselect
10-02-2009, 07:46 AM
T1 and T2 are for E9X M3 and E36 M3 respectively (and other cars, those are just an example). Did you mean 'I'm in T1 rather than S1 is for tires..." ?
oops i fixed it i meant S1

ronh21
10-02-2009, 07:51 AM
...If i didn't end up coning or off course i would have been first.:wink:...

If frogs had wings... :wink: Obviously you're fast. Way faster than me, but I kept it away from the cones (I was technically fast BMW, thanks to you and Joe B. coning). Keep coming out to give Bogdan something to think about in T1.

I wish the tire ruling was different as well. The only reason i'm in T1 rather than T2 is for tires. Well i guess it won't matter next year when i do the suspension.:tongue:

I think your options are S1 or T1. No T2 for you. What tires are you running?

I've never done an SCCA event, but every video I've seen was on a "flowing" course. I don't think we'll be able to do that on our lots. I do plan to try an SCCA event (maybe the next one), but I'm not going to be willing to do what it would take to make my car even slightly competitive. Right now the car goes in BSP, because I replaced the steering wheel with a non-airbag wheel, and I can't change it back. It would just be for fun.

zeroselect
10-02-2009, 08:08 AM
i'm most likely going to be coming out to more events. Its kinda hard when track events are are on the same days.

ronh21
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
i'm most likely going to be coming out to more events. Its kinda hard when track events are are on the same days.

I started HPDEs and autox this year, but I set aside the BMW autox dates so I could make them all. What groups do you instruct with? In the next four weeks i'm going to TrackDaze, BMWCCA, and Potomac PCA events.

What tires were you running last weekend?

zeroselect
10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I was running Star Specs last event.

I usually instruct for NASA and TrackDaze but i have instructed for other clubs. I don't track the M Coupe. I run with my Nissan 240sx.

BradMW
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I wish the tire ruling was different as well. The only reason i'm in T1 rather than S1 is for tires.

I don't see how they could possibly change the tire ruling with a clean conscience. Maybe the intake rule or the exhaust rule or the automatic transmission software rule or something of that nature, but Star Specs (and other max performance summer tires) can cut a clean 3-4 seconds off your time and mask an insane number of mistakes. Show me another mod allowed in Tuner that does that.

I am not the best driver out there and do not drive what people consider a good car for autox (Automatic 330Ci Convertible, haha) in T3 and Star Specs are my only mod, but I still put up better times than everyone in Showroom (including S1/S2) at the majority of the events since putting my tires on, rain or shine. For comparison, look at my time in the first event with my old all-seasons in the rain while still in S3; what grip? I can't really think of a single argument for keeping those tires Showroom when they can make as much of a difference as they do.

adam
10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't see how they could possibly change the tire ruling with a clean conscience. Maybe the intake rule or the exhaust rule or the automatic transmission software rule or something of that nature, but Star Specs (and other max performance summer tires) can cut a clean 3-4 seconds off your time and mask an insane number of mistakes. Show me another mod allowed in Tuner that does that.

I am not the best driver out there and do not drive what people consider a good car for autox (Automatic 330Ci Convertible, haha) in T3 and Star Specs are my only mod, but I still put up better times than everyone in Showroom (including S1/S2) at the majority of the events since putting my tires on, rain or shine. For comparison, look at my time in the first event with my old all-seasons in the rain while still in S3; what grip? I can't really think of a single argument for keeping those tires Showroom when they can make as much of a difference as they do.

I agree 110% - tires make such a large difference, as u say masking mistakes. An intake or exhaust won't do that! I won't get into the classing debate here. Btw, you're very consistent on those tires - nice times =)

zeroselect
10-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I read the rules wrong i thought T lets you run on R comps.

The only issue is ANY size. This lets you put quite alot of tires under you if you want because there is no restriction on how far out your tires can go out beyond the fenders.

skidmarc
10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Marc,
I was working the course while you were driving in the 4th heat. I am not familiar with how the 2002 automatic works, but next time try to use 1st and 2nd gear more, instead of just putting it in D. If you can manually shift up to second gear and back down to first when needed, you might find you are much quicker. I'd bet you might have been giving up about 3-5 seconds each run. I think you were losing time due to the car's relative lack of acceleration since it was probably in too high a gear for most of the course.

Brian Hair
Brian,
Thanks for the advice regarding my 02 and the automatic transmisson. I agree that I lose 3-5s due to the lack of accelleration. That will certainly be addressed with the new motor.

I did not use D, rather kept it in 2nd. I played around in a parking lot a day before and all first seems to do is wind up an go nowhere. As the engine is "soft" (and it's my daily driver", I try to limit it's time over 5K rpm. The conditions and my unfamiliarity with this fine sport kept me from being more adventurous. I will try different shifting techniques the next time out as I continue to home my skills.

If you have any other comments I'd be glad to hear them!

Cheers,
Marc

agreatham
10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
They don't fit they are misclassed and we will be putting them in the correct classing soon.

Don't mean to complain but looks like the results page still needs to be updated.

Zcruizer
10-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't mean to complain but looks like the results page still needs to be updated.

Hey Mike, taking cars out of our class won't help you beat me or J. Dunlap. :biggrin: S1 is the redheaded stepchild class anyway, winning in this class means you showed up that day......:tongue:

Zcruizer
10-03-2009, 12:00 PM
BTW, I might actually get there early next time and walk the course. I need to beat Dunlap at the last event so he can think about it all winter. Get there early too and we'll compare notes.

mcoupemindy
10-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Sorry, I've been under the weather lately. The plague is still kicking my butt. I'm working on the corrections now and I should have them up by the end of the day.

BTW, I might actually get there early next time and walk the course. I need to beat Dunlap at the last event so he can think about it all winter. Get there early too and we'll compare notes.

You should ALWAYS walk the course.

MazdaSC
10-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Maybe down to 140 would be better for touring since that is where the SCCA draws the line for Street Tires.

woodym3
10-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Only problem is I already had enough events with other clubs and a lot of BMW events are the same day as SCCA events...

I think you're wrong as all BMW events are on Saturday and all SCCA AX events are on Sunday. This is done so there won't be any conflicts. Some (all?) AI events are Saturdays.

civicexracer
10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I think you're wrong as all BMW events are on Saturday and all SCCA AX events are on Sunday. This is done so there won't be any conflicts. Some (all?) AI events are Saturdays.

All WDCR events are on Sundays but all AI events are on Saturdays(AI is associated with SCCA, just not a region). I also attend as many CDC events as possible which are pretty much all on Saturdays too.

hoyabmw
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
All WDCR events are on Sundays but all AI events are on Saturdays(AI is associated with SCCA, just not a region). I also attend as many CDC events as possible which are pretty much all on Saturdays too.

AI is this Saturday, but is normally on Sundays.

civicexracer
10-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Just looked at their schedule, it was split this year probably since they acquired RFS, 3 events at FedEx and 3 events at RFS. Nevertheless, CDC holds about 20 events, all are on Saturdays unless it's a test&tune. I'd rather go to those just because the seat time per dollar is very very good. Atleast 6 runs for $25 or $35(or in my case free for the season) is hard to beat.

woodym3
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I've never done a CDC event, but everyone I've talked to says the courses are extremely "tight".

civicexracer
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
I've never done a CDC event, but everyone I've talked to says the courses are extremely "tight".

Yeah generally they are and most of the time fairly basic but it is what it is. They don't use the lower lot at bowie like this club does for safety concerns and the lot at Harry Grove Stadium is really small so they do the best they can. The events at Summit Point were great but then the higher hp, esp rwd cars hated it because the pavements too slick. Still, tossing the car around for 6 runs at a decent price and throw in a good atmosphere and it's a good time.

BradMW
10-06-2009, 07:52 AM
I dislike the fact that CDC splits your runs into morning and afternoon in order to promote a "club-like atmosphere," whatever that means. I usually don't have time to be at the lot for 8 hours plus travel time. Also, safety is lame; some of us don't want to live (mainly us consultants). Regardless, I signed up for their event this weekend.

bogdan
10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
If frogs had wings... :wink: Obviously you're fast. Way faster than me, but I kept it away from the cones (I was technically fast BMW, thanks to you and Joe B. coning). Keep coming out to give Bogdan something to think about in T1.

I wouldn't mind having some competition in T1. :)

Reach
10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Ouch! I guess I'll have to practice more until I count as competition too. :)

bogdan
10-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Ouch! I guess I'll have to practice more until I count as competition too. :)

I meant to say more competition :p

BradMW
10-12-2009, 01:18 PM
10/10 CDC index results:

1. S2000
2. WRX
3. WRX
4. MX-5
5. WRX
6. WRX
7. WRX
8. Evo
9. MX-5
10. WRX
11. Evo
12. WRX
13. 3650 lbs. BMW
14. WRX
15. Evo
~
65. S2000
66. WRX

I felt a little out of place; almost like my car wasn't meant for this scene.

mcoupemindy
10-12-2009, 01:21 PM
10/10 CDC index results:

1. S2000
2. WRX
3. WRX
4. MX-5
5. WRX
6. WRX
7. WRX
8. Evo
9. MX-5
10. WRX
11. Evo
12. WRX
13. 3650 lbs. BMW
14. WRX
15. Evo
~
65. S2000
66. WRX

I felt a little out of place; almost like my car wasn't meant for this scene.

I've been considering bringing out my 3200# BMW.

Car54
10-13-2009, 09:07 AM
When you have Autox Inc and SCCA events going on the same weekend, why on earth would you do a CDC event?

mcoupemindy
10-13-2009, 09:24 AM
When you have Autox Inc and SCCA events going on the same weekend, why on earth would you do a CDC event?

Cost
My Car Won't Play Well With SCCA Classing

I plan on running A.I. next year.

MazdaSC
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM

I must agree, CDC's best events are the ones at Woodbridge, otherwise not crazy about there courses, but there indexing system does make for interesting competition without the complexity of SCCA rules. FedEx does trump any local club event, but Sykesville would be my next best choice.

Car54
10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Cost
My Car Won't Play Well With SCCA Classing

I plan on running A.I. next year.

$45 is too much for a guy with a supercharger? How does that math work? As for SCCA, you would be in the same class as me, SSM. Any more excuses? ;)

mcoupemindy
10-13-2009, 10:06 PM
$45 is too much for a guy with a supercharger? How does that math work? As for SCCA, you would be in the same class as me, SSM. Any more excuses? ;)

I don't plan on running comp tires next year ... that's a big reason. I'll get my ass handed to me on street tires. I might play around with AI however, but I'd much rather save up and head to Cumberland and run in XP against the Cobras.

woodym3
10-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Most of the top Cobras are now regularly doing XP at the SCCA events too.

KatieT
10-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Really he just wants a guy day since I tag along to all the events around here (Cumberland is a bit too far for me). :wink:

~Katie

woodym3
10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Cumberland autocross weekends in the summer are a great place to take your S.O. Friday nights the city hosts a big party on a downtowin street. Several bands and the restaurant/bars are set up with sidewalk tables and chairs. Saturday night one of the local autocrossers hosts a cookout at his farm. This guy has one of the best Corvette collections in the country on display.

Biggins
10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Cumberland autocross weekends in the summer are a great place to take your S.O. Friday nights the city hosts a big party on a downtowin street. Several bands and the restaurant/bars are set up with sidewalk tables and chairs. Saturday night one of the local autocrossers hosts a cookout at his farm. This guy has one of the best Corvette collections in the country on display.
The Cumberland autocrosses are a blast. Unfortunately, I haven't been up there since 2007.

Car54
10-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Couple pics from Cumberland when I went on a motorcycle ride...very cool little town:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/gspot35_photo/Trip%20to%20PA%207-08/IMG_5103.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/gspot35_photo/Trip%20to%20PA%207-08/IMG_5104.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/gspot35_photo/Trip%20to%20PA%207-08/IMG_5105.jpg

Should we move this thread now?!?

woodym3
10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
...very cool little town:

At one time Cumberland was the 2nd largest city in Maryland (to Baltimore).

Car54
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I love how you remember stuff like that Woody. What did you have for dinner last night?

ronh21
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
The Cumberland autocrosses are a blast. Unfortunately, I haven't been up there since 2007.

There's one on the 25th. Who wants to caravan up there Saturday after the NCC finale? It's not that far (or that cold) :) Then we can all caravan up to NJMP for the NJ BMW Lightning event on Monday. That sounds like a nice long weekend. Who's in?

woodym3
10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Actually I read that within the last year. I think Cumberland was that big until the 70s or 80s when several big companies closed their plants.

Dinner last night? Catfish. Tuesday night? Bratwurst Monday night? Can't remember.