PDA

View Full Version : (2009) Interested In A Test & Tune?!?!?

mcoupemindy
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I've been tossing the idea around to have a dedicated test and tune event. Basically it would be limited entry to 20 drivers and everyone would be responsible to show up in the AM, help set up the course, drive / work all day, and then assist with packing the equipment up. I've crunched the numbers, and to cover our costs, it would need to be $70.00 per person. That said, I'm 100% confident that we could run no less than 400 runs during the day giving everyone attending no less than 20 runs. Bowie looks like the best lot to use due to the large size and moderate pricetag. The best date the facility is available is 09/19/09. If the 09/19/09 event was a success, we could possibly do another one similar to this in November.

Comments? Thoughts? Interested?

ronh21
08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm in

turbosporttsi
08-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Fantastic idea!

Reach
08-04-2009, 07:24 PM
In. Would give me an opportunity to try different camber settings with my new camber plates!

Car54
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Sounds good to me but not sure if I could make that date, but likely the November date.

First 20 BMW club members?

noelleslie
08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Jonathan,

I too think it is a great idea. The only reason I would not do it is the surface at Bowie seems to shred tires more than the other locations, except Rosecroft of course.

Brian and I did the Mazda event this early spring at Bowie and put about 20 runs on my car. It lost a good 3/32" as where it has taken me the entire rest of the season (3 events per month average and nearly twice the runs) to go through 3/32"!!

I guess, if you do go ahead with it, maybe just plan a course that would lend itself to equal tire wear.

I would personally pay $70+ to get that amount of time on the skid pad like last winter. That was a lot of fun and the learning has proven invaluable.

All in all, I think your idea is damn super!!!

mcoupemindy
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Sounds good to me but not sure if I could make that date, but likely the November date.

First 20 BMW club members?

I'd like to restrict it to BMWCCA members but if it comes down to it, I'll take just about anyone to ensure that we meet our bottom line requirement.

mcoupemindy
08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Jonathan,

I too think it is a great idea. The only reason I would not do it is the surface at Bowie seems to shred tires more than the other locations, except Rosecroft of course.

Brian and I did the Mazda event this early spring at Bowie and put about 20 runs on my car. It lost a good 3/32" as where it has taken me the entire rest of the season (3 events per month average and nearly twice the runs) to go through 3/32"!!

I guess, if you do go ahead with it, maybe just plan a course that would lend itself to equal tire wear.

I would personally pay $70+ to get that amount of time on the skid pad like last winter. That was a lot of fun and the learning has proven invaluable.

All in all, I think your idea is damn super!!!

Bowie is really our only valid option at this point (cost, location, and availability).

I've never really considered that Bowie wears tires quicker. Hmm ... maybe I just never cared enough :wink:

Scott Blair most likely will be designing the course and typically his courses are faster and smoother. It's impossible to design a course to wear both sides perfectly evenly - but I'll have my electric impact with me and anyone would be more than welcome to use it to swap sides. I know that I'll probably come with a crappy set of tires that I'll expect to cord. I personally find that I learn more by driving on the most terrible tires possible.

noelleslie
08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
It would definitely be a great way to lock in all the progress made over the summer.

Mazda does an event in the early spring and then in late fall similarly where people really get to get the repetition that normal autocrosses don't provide.

I still think it is a great idea.

Jim Dunlap
08-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm in. But please, avoid the 2X around skid pad circle that totally did in one of my front tires the last time at that venue. In advance: thanks.

mcoupemindy
08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm in. But please, avoid the 2X around skid pad circle that totally did in one of my front tires the last time at that venue. In advance: thanks.

I don't control this, the course designer does! But yes, I corded two tires that day, and needless to say, they weren't on the same axle.

mcoupemindy
08-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Please spread the word around.

If there's enough interest, I'll make a decision this weekend.

BradMW
08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm split. I love autocross, but I also hate my car and want to sell it before I kill it. I feel like 20 spins would finally drive a stake through the engine. I mean, I wish I could kill it and then sell it, but that just isn't good business. November would be a better date, since my tires will be on their last limb by then I figure and it would be time to switch to all seasons.

m3chaser
08-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I would love to make it and would be there but I am the best man in my best friends wedding that day so clearly I can't make it.

UGHHHHHHHHH!

smmx5
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I would love to make it and would be there but I am the best man in my best friends wedding that day so clearly I can't make it.

Clearly you need to get your priorities straight, sheesh.

75% chance I can make it.

If you really have to have a skidpad can please make it a left hander to compensate for all the highway ramps being right handers ? :)

mcoupemindy
08-07-2009, 12:44 PM

If you really have to have a skidpad can please make it a left hander to compensate for all the highway ramps being right handers ? :)

HA HA ... No need for a skidpad at Bowie.

jbrannon7
08-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Jonathan,

Have you investigated the Blue Crab stadium in Waldorf? AI runs there, in fact there is an AI event there 8/16.

Also there are early plans to build a minor league stadium in Loudoun County off rt 7 south of Leesburg. Hopefully it will go thru and have a suitable lot.

Joe

mcoupemindy
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Jonathan,

Have you investigated the Blue Crab stadium in Waldorf? AI runs there, in fact there is an AI event there 8/16.

Also there are early plans to build a minor league stadium in Loudoun County off rt 7 south of Leesburg. Hopefully it will go thru and have a suitable lot.

Joe

Blue Crab stadium is an idea for next year. Would you be able to round up some contact info for me (so I can get rates, etc.)?

I would love a suitable VA location ... in Loudoun County, no less. That would be beautiful.

noelleslie
08-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I know we just got Summit Point, but if we could land the Blue Crab Stadium, it would blow Summit Point away.

mcoupemindy
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I know we just got Summit Point, but if we could land the Blue Crab Stadium, it would blow Summit Point away.

If someone can get me contact info, I'll start the process now ...

BradMW
08-07-2009, 03:47 PM

I can only turn right, I'm not an ambi-turner.

jbrannon7
08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Blue Crab stadium is an idea for next year. Would you be able to round up some contact info for me (so I can get rates, etc.)?

I would love a suitable VA location ... in Loudoun County, no less. That would be beautiful.

When I am there next weekend I will talk to the AI guys and see what the deal is.

Joe

mduhovich
08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Alex and I would love to do it=)) we will reschedule any other engagements

smmx5
08-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Is this still being considered?

mcoupemindy
08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Is this still being considered?

Yes. I have a bid on the lot currently and will update once I get a contract in hand :)

I just don't like to register people for an event that I don't have a lot contract on!

smmx5
08-21-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm afraid I have to downgrade my likelihood of attending. I'll have to be in NYC Friday night, which really makes me appearing a Saturday AX seem a bit unlikely. I really want to do a test and tune, but it may not be this one.

Biggins
08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd come to help out if I were free that day (instruct or whatever), but I probably would not run. I'm running my car at SCCA and our remaining events, after which it will be retired from autocross duty.

If someone wants to loan me an E36 (I provide the Direzzas I have), I might drive.

Car54
08-21-2009, 08:46 PM
after which it will be retired from autocross duty.

Haven't I head this before? Like the last couple of years???

mscire2
08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
im down for that for sure

Scany
08-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Great opportunity, but I'm not sure if I'll sign up. The E30 has been stored away and the E36 is in need of track testing. But I change my mind a lot so I'll say maybe :)

Ethan Blank
08-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Great idea, but I can't do it that day (Jewish New Year).

Luda
09-01-2009, 08:39 AM
a day of abusing my car? Hell yes im down, and im sure mr. z06 would be down for a day of abuse on his vette

Reach
09-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Jonathan,

Any updates if this is actually going to happen, or if the date will be pushed?

mcoupemindy
09-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Jonathan,

Any updates if this is actually going to happen, or if the date will be pushed?

I just got notice from Bowie that September 19th is not going to happen.

I'm now looking into dates in October.

satyrdog
09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
newbie question:

What is a test and tune? Is it basically drag racing or is it autocross/time trial?

Sorry if the answer is super obvious, but you can't learn if you don't ask.

Ethan Blank
09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Assuming the date in October is free, I will definitely want to participate.

Reach
09-01-2009, 01:18 PM
newbie question:

What is a test and tune? Is it basically drag racing or is it autocross/time trial?

Sorry if the answer is super obvious, but you can't learn if you don't ask.

In this context, it refers to a day of autocrossing where a limited # of participants will get the maximum # of runs. It isn't for points, it won't have much instructor-based teaching. Its just a chance for you to go out and try different driving styles / tire pressures / suspension / wheel setups and see what works best for you by getting measured results on a repeatable course.

Drag organizations, dyno kings, and others also have 'test and tune' days which correspond to the same above concept, but for that 'sport'.

ronh21
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
What's the latest on a date for this? Is it definitely happening?

mcoupemindy
09-28-2009, 03:25 PM
What's the latest on a date for this? Is it definitely happening?

It's a dead cause. It will not happen this year.