PDA

View Full Version : (2009) ChapterFest!!! NCC Autocross Event #7 - September 26 @ Bowie Baysox Stadium

Car54
07-20-2009, 02:21 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/gspot35_photo/junk/chapterfest2009.jpg

Join us for Chapterfest at Bowie Baysox Stadium in Bowie, MD on September 26.

Event #7 Registration is open; click the LINK (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_dtregister) to get started. NCC Autocross is open for all cars and drivers (BMW club members and not) and our events draw a wide variety of cars.

Not sure what class you're supposed to be in? Take a look at our classing structure (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=166). Take a look at results so far this season (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168) to see who will be in your class.

If you are new to our autocross program, please check out our FAQ section (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_quickfaq&view=category&cid=2&Itemid=154). If you still have questions either post your question on this forum or contact an autocross committee member (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=10&Itemid=27).

If you're not yet a BMWCCA member, what are you waiting for? Spend $40, join (http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=club_join&ref_by=366493), and save $10 off your autocross entry fee + many other benefits.

We hope to see you there!

Craig
www.nccautocross.com

Car54
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Discuss!

Scany
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
first AutoX for the E36 :)

Car54
09-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Anyone here go to ChapterFest last year? I missed it due to a track event conflict.

alexmarksthespot
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
oh my goodness that image is huge it didn't even fit on my computer

Car54
09-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I resized it...the forum resizes automatically for me.

bostonbmw
09-10-2009, 04:43 AM
just signed up !

Scany
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone here go to ChapterFest last year? I missed it due to a track event conflict.

I did :biggrin: It was great fun.

BradMW
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM

It was my very first Autocross. Heck, it was my very first event with BMWCCA.

mlytle
09-11-2009, 09:57 PM
i hope to be there in my 75 2002. i just need to put an engine, tranny and suspension in it first...it is still a work in progress...
http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/mblytle/76%20nc/?albumview=grid

noelleslie
09-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Last year's chapterfest was awesome all around. Turnout was great. It is THE event to bring family members to if anyone has been wanting to invite others.

My signature photo below is from last year's event.

KatieT
09-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Anyone here go to ChapterFest last year? I missed it due to a track event conflict.I worked the front gate...talk about TONS of people! I didn't get to see much else so I'm hoping I'm not on front gate duty the whole time again...

~Katie

Scany
09-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I worked the front gate...talk about TONS of people! I didn't get to see much else so I'm hoping I'm not on front gate duty the whole time again...

~Katie

Me and Lindsey will be there to help out also :)

RedMS3
09-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Signed up! I didn't attend the last event...but kudos to those involved with creating the new sign-up process!

Jim Dunlap
09-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I went last year. It was one of my first Chapter events and it was a nice day with good turnout. I also went off-course on 2 of my 4 runs, as I recall...had trouble mentally mapping the autocross course.

alexmarksthespot
09-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey so I'm bringing Isabela to the event again this time... Do I have to pay for her to be part of the 'general audience'? I mean she is two years old shes not exactly going to take part in much...

pseto
09-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey so I'm bringing Isabela to the event again this time... Do I have to pay for her to be part of the 'general audience'? I mean she is two years old shes not exactly going to take part in much...

children under 12 are free

ronh21
09-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Is there an autocross registration list somewhere? I can't remember if I signed up for AM or PM. I may have forgotten to register at all, which would be even more devastating to my T2 title hopes than all those cones at the last event.

jls8177
09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
I was charged double for Chapterfest ($50) on my CC. Can someone email or give me a call about this?

Jason Stephens
443-306-3540

Bob
09-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the Chapterfest event, however,on Saturday, as I order my 3rd lobster tail on my Royal Caribbean Bahamas cruise I will be thinking of the Bowie skid pad I have become so fond of! Bob

mcoupemindy
09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I was charged double for Chapterfest ($50) on my CC. Can someone email or give me a call about this?

Jason Stephens
443-306-3540

Jason,

You'll need to contact PayPal about this. I just checked the account and we only received $25.00 from you. I'll send you an email in a min with what I'm seeing.

adam
09-22-2009, 09:24 AM

children under 12 are free

Alex looks like she might be under 12... FREE!!

woodym3
09-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Is there an autocross registration list somewhere? I can't remember if I signed up for AM or PM. I may have forgotten to register at all, which would be even more devastating to my T2 title hopes than all those cones at the last event.

Ron,
If you just stayed home this weekend you wouldn't have to worry about whether you are am or pm. I'll be AWOL and I think Noel will too.

alexmarksthespot
09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Alex looks like she might be under 12... FREE!!

Hmm I think she just might be. My bad I didn't pay attention to that on the main page. :redface:

noelleslie
09-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Ron. I changed my schedule to be "on call" this weekend hoping to be free. I may be. Problem is... the one day I take the Z4 to school, some crazy woman decides to stop in front of me, then slam her car into reverse hitting me from 20 feet away (and I was in reverse trying to escape while hitting the horn AND yelling Nooo!!!)

So... car is in the shop for hood, bumper, and some other front stuff. At least I'll get a new paint job.

Car is in like pristine shape, and she looks at the car and say "was that there before?" referring to the dented hood/bumper below the roundel emblem.

I wanted to kick her in the teeth. :mad::biggrin::rolleyes:

Instead, we exchanged info and she told the insurance she was at fault and we are on our way.

So... there is no way I can drive autocross this weekend unless you guys allow me to enter my wife's 1997 Honda Civic hatchback in T2 AND I can make the event.

mcoupemindy
09-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Ron. I changed my schedule to be "on call" this weekend hoping to be free. I may be. Problem is... the one day I take the Z4 to school, some crazy woman decides to stop in front of me, then slam her car into reverse hitting me from 20 feet away (and I was in reverse trying to escape while hitting the horn AND yelling Nooo!!!)

So... car is in the shop for hood, bumper, and some other front stuff. At least I'll get a new paint job.

Car is in like pristine shape, and she looks at the car and say "was that there before?" referring to the dented hood/bumper below the roundel emblem.

Instead, we exchanged info and she told the insurance she was at fault and we are on our way.

So... there is no way I can drive autocross this weekend unless you guys allow me to enter my wife's 1997 Honda Civic hatchback in T2 AND I can make the event.

No Civic Hatch, but I'm sure there are plenty of other T2's that you could whore. I'll post a list later today for your enjoyment.

... And I would have kicked her in the mouth. Or beat her with a tire iron.

Bob
09-23-2009, 08:38 AM

C'mon Noel, you couldn't outrun a soccer mom in reverse? Was she in a Cobra?!, you shoulda taken her out, now we all have to watch out for her,and some of us are only on 2 wheels!

woodym3
09-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Wow, I guess I failed to teach you driving in reserse at the school. Sorry to hear about that Noel.
I think you should drive Ron's car. . . without adjusting the seat of course.

ronh21
09-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Wow, I guess I failed to teach you driving in reserse at the school. Sorry to hear about that Noel.
I think you should drive Ron's car. . . without adjusting the seat of course.

He's welcome to try :) I think the whole story is just a sorry excuse. I'm gonna need to see pics, or it didn't happen. Noel, you couldn't wait to take "the dented hood/bumper below the roundel emblem" to the shop until after the 'fest? :tongue:

Of course, I may not be running anyway. I can't seem to get confirmation that I signed up. If I didn't, I can still walk up, right?

noelleslie
09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Ohh.. I didn't mention that the hood was damaged in the middle. I will likely get the dumbass award for the year... After 4.5 hours in evening school, I left. The car seemed beyond reasonable to drive. The front bumper and hood were dented/scratched, but nothing even close to non-drivable. Soo.. I drove it. About thirty minutes later, I am on 695 or somewhere over there going towards I-70West from Baltimore, there is a loud BANG!!! I don't know what the hell happened, but I could no longer see in front of me, with the exception of the lowest 2 inches of the windshield. The freaking hood latch retainer mechanism had been damaged, and the hood flew ALL THE WAY back - not stopped until it hit the windshield, and mostly the top of the windshield.

If you can imagine a lightweight strip of balsa wood in a 60 mph wind, and what type of quick movement it would have... well that's how quickly the hood flew up... I didn't even see it move.

I used my razor sharp autocross skills [not really] to bring the car to a gradual stop at a safe location, and started trying to figure out who was responsible for THIS damage (practical law school application).

It turns out that there are two separate claims, even though one was precipitated by the other. I am responsible for the aft hood, and the lady for all the other junk. We just studied this type of stuff too a few weeks ago, in Torts class.. directly related to another's actions, as an immediate consequence of, etc... I guess I lost on that deal, but my $500 deductible will get half the car repainted.

http://nlink720.zoints.com/image/86529-PoorZ42

jbrannon7
09-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Nothing a roll of duct tape won't fix.

Joe

Ohh.. I didn't mention that the hood was damaged in the middle. I will likely get the dumbass award for the year... After 4.5 hours in evening school, I left. The car seemed beyond reasonable to drive. The front bumper and hood were dented/scratched, but nothing even close to non-drivable. Soo.. I drove it. About thirty minutes later, I am on 695 or somewhere over there going towards I-70West from Baltimore, there is a loud BANG!!! I don't know what the hell happened, but I could no longer see in front of me, with the exception of the lowest 2 inches of the windshield. The freaking hood latch retainer mechanism had been damaged, and the hood flew ALL THE WAY back - not stopped until it hit the windshield, and mostly the top of the windshield.

If you can imagine a lightweight strip of balsa wood in a 60 mph wind, and what type of quick movement it would have... well that's how quickly the hood flew up... I didn't even see it move.

I used my razor sharp autocross skills [not really] to bring the car to a gradual stop at a safe location, and started trying to figure out who was responsible for THIS damage (practical law school application).

It turns out that there are two separate claims, even though one was precipitated by the other. I am responsible for the aft hood, and the lady for all the other junk. We just studied this type of stuff too a few weeks ago, in Torts class.. directly related to another's actions, as an immediate consequence of, etc... I guess I lost on that deal, but my $500 deductible will get half the car repainted.

mcoupemindy
09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
He's welcome to try :) I think the whole story is just a sorry excuse. I'm gonna need to see pics, or it didn't happen. Noel, you couldn't wait to take "the dented hood/bumper below the roundel emblem" to the shop until after the 'fest? :tongue:

Of course, I may not be running anyway. I can't seem to get confirmation that I signed up. If I didn't, I can still walk up, right?

Okay ... I checked and I have your registration

However, for all those T2 competitors that would like to see Ron not in attendance, I can accept bribes to remove registrations ...

ronh21
09-23-2009, 03:32 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but that's sort of funny. Just like every time it happens at the track. Hope it's only the hood damaged and not the windshield/roofline too much. BTW, the only damage actually visible in that pic is where the hood hit the windshield, not like the bumper's falling off or anything. Just sayin'... :icon_poke

EDIT: Glad nobody was hurt. That could have been a disaster at highway speeds.

Car54
09-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Damn...sorry Noel! At least you get to get all the bugs and chips fixed. Are you going to get a clear bra? Hood pins? (sorry)

Ron...it WAS at highway speeds...695 is an interstate!

noelleslie
09-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Ron,

You should probably come in... I would say, at least third since me and Woody will be out.

Good Luck :)

Woody.. Next track day, lets leave the staging area in reverse. We'll hit about 50 in reverse, staying to the right of the track. Then I'll pull a Tiff Needel e-brake 180 spin and enter turn one right on line :)

ronh21
09-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Ron...it WAS at highway speeds...695 is an interstate!

If you squint a little and re-read what I wrote, you'll see that what I meant was "That could have been a disaster at highway speeds that you were traveling." :wink:

I can only imagine what it would be like to instantly have the hood in my face at 65-ish, at night. I probably would panic brake and be at the mercy of whoever was behind me. Plus, I know that makes a very loud, scary noise when it happens, like an actual collision. That would have to be unbelievably startling.

Scany
09-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Be glad you weren't going to a party in a VW 1303S Beetle with two cases of beer in the trunk when that happened, and maybe slammed on the brakes, possibly spilling 48 bottles of beer on the highway.. Could happen, I think.. :icon_eek:

BradMW
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Noel, you should definitely bring your car Saturday. DentMasters will be there and they'll fix you right up for 80 bucks. Just be sure to have your car at a distance while talking to them so it looks like a nickle-sized scratch.

Bimmer3
09-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Ron,
Since my father can't make it this Saturday, to keep his spirit alive, I'll be running in his place in T2. (:wink::frown::mad: M Coupe)

Noel,
Sorry about your beautiful car. I hope it can get fixed like new, or maybe it's time to get a Z4 M Coupe?

Brian :biggrin:

SamB325es
09-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Be glad you weren't going to a party in a VW 1303S Beetle with two cases of beer in the trunk when that happened, and maybe slammed on the brakes, possibly spilling 48 bottles of beer on the highway.. Could happen, I think.. :icon_eek:

Crazy euros...

Noel, Is that custom flame surfacing on your hood?

ronh21
09-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Ron,
Since my father can't make it this Saturday, to keep a point away from you, I'll be running in his place in T2. (:wink::frown::mad: M Coupe)

fixed :biggrin: See you Saturday.

noelleslie
09-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks, Brian.

I think it was Ron's wife that backed into me.

And NO... this is NOT the preview for the 2011 model's flame surfacing design. Please - that's so 2003. I was working on an early version of the GINA project.

http://mydrives.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/bmw-gina-dark.jpg?w=468&h=344

noelleslie
09-25-2009, 08:31 PM
By the way, I'm definitely out for tomorrow, if someone else wants to take my spot.

Hope the weather is good, and that you all have fun!!

Jim Dunlap
09-25-2009, 09:08 PM
What would life be if we didn't have some "would you believe...," or "there I was...," stories to tell around the campfire. Now you have a great one, Noel. Bit of a bummer at the time(x2=s)...but still: heck of a tale. And I've always been led to believe that black is the easiest color to match. You'll be good to go in no time!

Scany
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
I'll be there but without a car :( Can't get the sucker to idle. See you tomorrow!

RedMS3
09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Man, us 4th sessioners got the weather shaft! Oh well, always interesting to drive in the rain. It was nice to get in a race, since I missed the last one.

Overall, I wish I could have strung tgether sections from different runs! As always, fun event! I wonder if we can pull a top gear and get a W placed next to times in the wet, lol.

forrealb50
09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Man, us 4th sessioners got the weather shaft! Oh well, always interesting to drive in the rain. It was nice to get in a race, since I missed the last one.

Overall, I wish I could have strung tgether sections from different runs! As always, fun event! I wonder if we can pull a top gear and get a W placed next to times in the wet, lol.

The AM session finally paid off this time! I swear this whole season all the am'ers have been drying the track off for the pm guys.

jbrannon7
09-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the great event Jonathan, Katie and everyone else involved.

Joe

Highflyr777
09-26-2009, 08:12 PM
The AM session finally paid off this time! I swear this whole season all the am'ers have been drying the track off for the pm guys.

I've been feeling the same way!

Joe

+1 Had a great time today. Thanks everyone!

agreatham
09-27-2009, 06:02 AM

Joe

Hear, hear! Kudos to Jonathan, Katie, Bogdan, Adam, Linh, and anyone else I may have missed. By the way, is there room in the trailer for a grill? We could make a new worker position for the cook.

darkfiber
09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I had a great time everyone! I came at 9:30am and stayed until it was all over. Unfortunately, my registration got screwed up and I was put in the 3rd group when it started raining.

My first 2 laps were in the dry so the best I got was 50.6 but made some obvious big mistakes. I think if it didn't start raining and I wasn't running my last 2 laps in the wet, I could have easily ran a 48.0. I'm pretty happy with that.

I think next year I'm going to try for the trophies. I guess I'll have to swap out my noisemaker for the stock airbox to stay in S1.

Congrats to Hadi for running a 53 on the second lap of his first ever autocross! And in the wet too, nice!

RedMS3
09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Ugh, damn the treadwear rating on my stock tires, I would have had the top time in the other category! That MR2 and S2000 were moving! Wish I had a dry run to compete with those two(but still lose). I have a good habit of going fast in fat turns, but also a bad habit of goin too fast in slow turns :/

Congrats to Samuel in the red M3. 49.1 in the wet is pretty awesome.

ronh21
09-27-2009, 11:37 AM
...I have...a bad habit of goin too fast in slow turns :/

The Secret :cool:

No kidding. I was in heat 3 and the diff between my best dry run and best wet run was 2.1 seconds, so I'm going to guess Sam would have killed me without the rain. Must have been because he was rollin' on chrome 19s :biggrin:

BradMW
09-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Times in the wet do not count unless the top is down. I repeat, times in the wet do not count unless the top is down.

RedMS3
09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
The Secret :cool:

Yeah, yeah...on that note, I picked up a copy of Secrets of Solo Racing by Henry Watts immediately after the autocross at the local Barnes & Noble.

Car54
09-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Good book!

I like the rule....there's no taking it easy on the first run. If you do, you're wasting a run.

Sammyzuko
09-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Ugh, damn the treadwear rating on my stock tires, I would have had the top time in the other category! That MR2 and S2000 were moving! Wish I had a dry run to compete with those two(but still lose). I have a good habit of going fast in fat turns, but also a bad habit of goin too fast in slow turns :/

Thanks! I'm just thankful they were still serving food late in the day(delicious food by the way). I was feeling tired until I had my second helping of food and got my second wind(I need to start bringing more food with me to these events. I get hungry so often). I had a ton of fun out there! How quickly I had forgotten that autox in the rain is a blast.

No kidding. I was in heat 3 and the diff between my best dry run and best wet run was 2.1 seconds, so I'm going to guess Sam would have killed me without the rain. Must have been because he was rollin' on chrome 19s :biggrin:
Thanks for the ride Ron! As dead sexy as my bling blang chrome 19s are, they probably wouldn't have been awesome enough to beat you in the dry. On your fastest runs you were carrying ~200lbs of dead weight in your passenger seat.

jbrannon7
09-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Good book!

I like the rule....there's no taking it easy on the first run. If you do, you're wasting a run.

At the BMW courses in Bowie and the State Police lot my first run is usually my fastest, but I usually get a cone.

Joe

ronh21
09-28-2009, 08:31 AM
At the BMW courses in Bowie and the State Police lot my first run is usually my fastest, but I usually get a cone.

Joe

I always go pretty much full speed on my first run as well. I've definitely had my first run be fastest. I tell myself I should take it easy, but then I don't. Joe, I'm curious why you would point out those two specific BMW venues. Why would you be able to go all out (fastest run) on your first run there, but not at others? Are you just comparing them to FedEx (I haven't run there yet)?

mcoupemindy
09-28-2009, 08:38 AM
I always go pretty much full speed on my first run as well. I've definitely had my first run be fastest. I tell myself I should take it easy, but then I don't. Joe, I'm curious why you would point out those two specific BMW venues. Why would you be able to go all out (fastest run) on your first run there, but not at others? Are you just comparing them to FedEx (I haven't run there yet)?

I typically do the same at both those venues too. I tend to drive slow and fast the first run, and then just overcook every other run.

I really like bigger venues too where you can open the car up a bit.

Car54
09-28-2009, 09:20 AM
psst...Regency Furniture Stadium

RedMS3
09-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I really like bigger venues too where you can open the car up a bit.

And open up some ears at the same time!

bobbyj
09-28-2009, 10:07 AM
This was def one of my favorite tracks we have met on this season. I had a great time, the cars were beautiful (as usual) and the food was amazing. Props for whoever suggested Red Hot & Blue! I have one question after this meet though, is there any way we can attempt to compensate times that are taken in the wet? It may sound stupid, and really difficult to actually do, but it makes sense to at least consider. Over half of the meets this year at least for one session has either been in pouring rain (ie, Saturday PM) or just on a wet track. So, by chance we all dont usually have accurate representations of our cars times against each other! This was just a thought that some of us discussed while we waited in line for the track, but I think it is at least worth discussing furthur. Thanks again for everything on Saturday, I had a great time!

adam
09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
This was def one of my favorite tracks we have met on this season. I had a great time, the cars were beautiful (as usual) and the food was amazing. Props for whoever suggested Red Hot & Blue! I have one question after this meet though, is there any way we can attempt to compensate times that are taken in the wet? It may sound stupid, and really difficult to actually do, but it makes sense to at least consider. Over half of the meets this year at least for one session has either been in pouring rain (ie, Saturday PM) or just on a wet track. So, by chance we all dont usually have accurate representations of our cars times against each other! This was just a thought that some of us discussed while we waited in line for the track, but I think it is at least worth discussing furthur. Thanks again for everything on Saturday, I had a great time!

Unfortunately there is no way to gauge that... what I have noticed for some drivers is that they drive very close to the limit in the wet but either way over it or nowhere near it in the dry... others drive nowhere near the limit in either condition so we cannot uniformly introduce a 'handicap' for the rain. It's not fair, obviously, but that's how it goes. If anyone watches any professional racing, think about the car that gets knocked out of a race because the person behind had their brakes fail and just plowed into them... not the person in fronts fault right? Things happen... but it sure would be nice if the 'track' was the same all day so noone has an advantage over another.

BradMW
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
It's been mentioned several times so far and I just wanted to chime in and support the "add a (wet) or (damp) next to the respective times," just to save/stroke ego.

adam
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
It's been mentioned several times so far and I just wanted to chime in and support the "add a (wet) or (damp) next to the respective times," just to save/stroke ego.

If people want to save/stroke their egos, go call your mommy!

bobbyj
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Cool, thanks Adam, just curious after a bunch of us were talking. Thanks for the clarification!

adam
09-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Cool, thanks Adam, just curious after a bunch of us were talking. Thanks for the clarification!

Yea it sucks and isn't fair... I've been burned by it in the past, but realistically there is nothing we can do... just bad luck =( Sorry m8.

Maybe we can do a rain dance or something before each heat!

BradMW
09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
If people want to save/stroke their egos, go call your mommy!

I do after every run, but it's never enough.

adam
09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
I do after every run, but it's never enough.

I call Jon's mom

- I wonder if he will reply lol

mcoupemindy
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I call Jon's mom

- I wonder if he will reply lol

STFU ... my mom is hot and she drives a BMW.

adam
09-28-2009, 11:53 AM
STFU ... my mom is hot and she drives a BMW.

She IS hot and she drives my BMW faster than yours

mcoupemindy
09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
She IS hot and she drives my BMW faster than yours

Sorry, must not be my mom then. She only drives nice BMW's. Maybe it was Mark's mom?

adam
09-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry, must not be my mom then. She only drives nice BMW's. Maybe it was Mark's mom?

But she's not hot...

agreatham
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Good book!

I can't tell you how much of a difference this has made for me. I used to take the first run slowly just to figure out the course but on Saturday I just went for it. I overcooked the first couple of turns and got +3 but I got an okay 55+3 seconds. I was later able to bring it down to a 53+1. With only four runs, it makes sense to overshoot then correct down instead of starting slow and building your way up. There just aren't enough runs to be able to build your way up, in my opinion.

jbrannon7
09-28-2009, 12:26 PM

My tires really seem to grip the asphalt well at those two lots when cold. Other lots with smoother pavement my tires seem to work better warm.

At the TSP at summit I don't get any traction cold or hot.

Joe

SamB325es
09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
The only way to equalize the classes for changing conditions is to assign when each class runs. You would run with your class and be assigned a time for your group. This is what the scca does. I think it is nice to be able to sign up for morning group, race and work and then go home to my husband and father duties. With the scca if you have an afternoon time you pretty much write off the whole day for 5 min. of racing. With the choice of times sometimes you win sometimes you lose. It's the price you pay for flexibility in your schedule.

3rd group statred in the dry on sat. and finished in the wet and times dropped by about 2 sec. so you can use that to compare. Autocrossing in the rain is fun and almost worth the losing competitive times.

ronh21
09-28-2009, 01:45 PM
My tires really seem to grip the asphalt well at those two lots when cold. Other lots with smoother pavement my tires seem to work better warm.

What tires are you running?

At the TSP at summit I don't get any traction cold or hot.

I am not fond of that place, and that's a shame because it's only 5 miles from home. I can sort of hang with Woody and Noel at MSP, but get destroyed at TSP. Unfortunately I can't blame it on the tires, since we're all on the same ones. They're better drivers.

We do have that for this event. If the number starts with a 4, they didn't get a dry run. If their number started with a 3, and they feel like they got screwed, they should have made better use of their first two (dry) runs :wink:

The only way to equalize the classes for changing conditions is to assign when each class runs. You would run with your class and be assigned a time for your group. This is what the scca does...3rd group statred in the dry on sat. and finished in the wet and times dropped by about 2 sec. so you can use that to compare. Autocrossing in the rain is fun and almost worth the losing competitive times.

Wouldn't it be even more fun if everyone in your class were doing it too, and you could get "competitive times" anyway? I had a blast on my wet runs (drifted right off the course), although that was mostly because I'd already knocked out a 48.0x on a dry run :cool: I have a season trophy fight going on with Woody and Noel to think about :) Do we think people wouldn't like being told what heat they're to run in? Have we tried that in the past?

BTW, I'm starting to think a perfect test and tune day would be dry in the morning and wet in the afternoon. Car setup time then car control practice.

jbrannon7
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I run Nitto NT-01 255/40-17 tires.

Joe

alexmarksthespot
09-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I call Jon's mom

shush adam i'm the only mom for you.

adam
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM
shush adam i'm the only mom for you.

ok you win

agreatham
10-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Here are some pictures from the morning runs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43240492@<hidden>/sets/72157622402327767/

You can try this view to search for your car number in the captions:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43240492@<hidden>/sets/72157622402327767/detail/

I didn't take these pictures.