PDA

View Full Version : (2009) NCC Autocross Event #5 - August 8 @ Sykesville, MD

Scany
07-13-2009, 12:18 PM
The first half of the season has passed. We have seen a great variety of cars and drivers making the first four events fun and competitive. It's now time for the last part of the 2009 season and registration for event number five is now open. Once again we go back to Maryland State Police Training Center in Sykesville, Maryland.

Click the following link to register for event #5: http://nccbmwcca.org/index.php?view=details&id=117%3Aautocross-event-5&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=26

NCC Autocross is open for all cars and all drivers. If you are new to our autocross program, please check out our FAQ section on our website or feel free to ask us any questions you might have. We hope to see you there!

Anders
www.nccautocross.com

Zcruizer
07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
All signed up and ready to redeem myself at the midget lot. Wonder if the Smart car will be there, It'll look big on that lot.

BradMW
07-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Signed myself and the gf up. It's her first time and I'm sure she will drive extraordinarily slow and make the PM session last even longer than it did on Saturday... So, I think you should sign up for AM to be on the safe side.

gbauer
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I'll have to wait until the last minute to sign up for this one. My wife is due on the Saturday following this one. It all depends on how she feels.

bmw_matt
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Sikesville= :)

mscire2
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Registered

gbauer
07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Sikesville= :)
Spelling rocks! :tongue:

Zcruizer
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I'll have to wait until the last minute to sign up for this one. My wife is due on the Saturday following this one. It all depends on how she feels.

Well congrats, I'm assuming you mean she's having your baby. My wife is due the day after the following event (August 29th event). Of course, unless she's in the hospital giving birth I'll be at the event, that's just how I roll. :icon_eyeb:icon_eyeb:icon_eyeb

Scany
07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm sad to say I'll be in Norway, drinking beer somewhere in the fjord (if the sun will shine that day). But I'll drink one for the AM runners, and one for the PM runners =)

The 318iS will be up for rent :)

RedMS3
07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Registered! Joining the small XR crew, this time.

Luda
07-14-2009, 10:59 AM
ill be there!

bmw_matt
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Spelling rocks! :tongue:
:redface: iPhone's auto-correct sucks

phenryiv1
07-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Checking the date, but subscribing to this thread.

m3chaser
07-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I registered for the PM session! I may have a couple non bmw folks coming with me but not sure yet.

How is this course compared to the Summit Point course? Is it as slick?

MazdaSC
07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I just signed up, bummed that I didn't go to TSP last weekend!!!

Zcruizer
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
No, not as slick but the hot sun can give you a little to work with. I guess as much as any other black top. It is smaller and the many sharp turns seem to give "me" a hard time. See you here.

turbosporttsi
07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I should be there... waiting a few days to register though, just to make sure I'm free.

mcoupemindy
07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
16 Registered Already! AWESOME!

RedMS3
07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
I live relatively close to Sykesville, so I was thinking about coming out in the morning to help set up. Is there a designated time for arrival in order to be helpful?

mcoupemindy
07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I live relatively close to Sykesville, so I was thinking about coming out in the morning to help set up. Is there a designated time for arrival in order to be helpful?

We could definitely use your help. Can you please PM me your email address? I send out an email to the setup crew typically the day before the event with arrival times, etc. Thanks!

Pete
07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I registered for the PM session! I may have a couple non bmw folks coming with me but not sure yet.

Pavement is nowhere near as slick as SP but that venue has some unique challenges. Due to it's smaller lot, it frequently requires more tight turns so it can be much more technical a course layout.

mcoupemindy
07-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Pavement is nowhere near as slick as SP but that venue has some unique challenges. Due to it's smaller lot, it frequently requires more tight turns so it can be much more technical a course layout.

MSP is my favorite facility that we use. The asphalt is semi-grippy (much better than SP) and there's no light poles or curbs!

mscire2
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
MSP is my favorite facility that we use. The asphalt is semi-grippy (much better than SP) and there's no light poles or curbs!

There are ditches tho.........

RedMS3
07-15-2009, 02:55 PM
There are ditches tho.........

Ditches lined with sharp rocks and a few scattered light poles that are surrounded by old tires!

MazdaSC
07-15-2009, 07:19 PM
+1 on that!!!

Car54
07-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Ditches lined with sharp rocks and a few scattered light poles that are surrounded by old tires!

But they're so far out of the way...no one could possibly get that far off course. :icon_yes:

RedMS3
07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
But they're so far out of the way...no one could possibly get that far off course. :icon_yes:

haha, could have gotten close to one pole at the last event there if you went the "wrong" way around the slalom and lost control. But, you're right...they're pretty out of the way and you'd really have to be out of control, which would probably prompt a mandatory ride along.

Biggins
07-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I love the facility because it's 12 minutes from my place...

Unfortunately, my car is not well-suited for the courses there because the slow turns REALLY kill my time in the little engine that couldn't... which makes/made me enjoy Summit Point, Bowie, FedEx, Cumberland and Ripken so much more. I like higher speeds and little grip.

SPR > Bowie > MSP for me, but I love all three. Each have their own unique flair.

noelleslie
07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I love the facility because it's 12 minutes from my place...

...So what you're saying is AFTER PARTY at Chris's house???!!!

forget showing up early... I'll get that for you.. just make sure the pool is ready at your house and the fridge is stocked :)

Zcruizer
07-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I second that....
I'll bring the libation, does everyone like Schlitz??

woodym3
07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Anybody else remember when the top three "premium" beers in the country were Schlitz, Budweiser, and Miller High Life? And Michelob was only available on tap?

RedMS3
07-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Anybody else remember when the top three "premium" beers in the country were Schlitz, Budweiser, and Miller High Life? And Michelob was only available on tap?

Those must have been some sad days ;)

Car54
07-16-2009, 08:34 PM

ahh....nope just you.

:tongue:

Jim Dunlap
07-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Don't get me started. Pabst Blue Ribbon? Or the frat favorite in my 1960s college town of LA: 101...black can with a big "101" on it...cheapest beer going; same results. The brewery was literally just next to the 101 freeway. When the brewery closed, an astute architect bought it and turned the complex into a mini city of lofts and studios for craftsmen and artist...leasehold only, he kept the property rights. I stayed there a few years ago in what had been a concrete blockhouse chemical storage locker; upgraded to an "apartment" via a steel subfloor and spiral staircase. Active train track 5 feet away on the other side and next to one wall. Too cool. The guy made millions, the scad...while I trolled away at a civil service job...geez.....

Zcruizer
07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Heck, I drink the High Life now. I love it in the summer, although I go ghetto with the $15. 30 pack can box. Regular Coors is also a classic that is tough to get this side of the Mississippi. Yes these beers are made from old German recipes brewed (originally) by old Germans and blend well while working on our German cars as we prepare for the next autox event. :wink:

BradMW
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM

All the layouts I've seen at Sykesville have favored higher power cars due to the number of straights following sharp corners (2 absolutely killer ones last time). Could we possibly get a *more* technical/tight course without some of those straights this time around?

mcoupemindy
07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
All the layouts I've seen at Sykesville have favored higher power cars due to the number of straights following sharp corners (2 absolutely killer ones last time). Could we possibly get a *more* technical/tight course without some of those straights this time around?

Bogdan's the course designer at MSP ... that being said, probably not :biggrin:

BradMW
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Bogdan's the course designer at MSP ... that being said, probably not :biggrin:

You leave me no choice -- I'm bringing a biplane and buckets of dry-ice.

phenryiv1
07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
As a "series," that is a good thing, because all of the courses can favor different vehicles and driving styles. My low-powered AWD car was not at a terrible disadvantage on SP, but I will have to drive a LOT better at a course like MSP is reputed to favor in order to be competetive.

Jim Dunlap
07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
And so the rift begins. To heck with slow and technical. Boo. I loved the last Maryland layout. Or shall we say, my "high powered" car did. Coming back towards the registration tent (passing through the crossover) I was hitting 60+ in my M3. Much fun. FTD in S1. But at Summit, where I should have done well...busted. Hmmm.

Bob
07-18-2009, 08:45 AM

Only if its below freezing and has just rained!

woodym3
07-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Regular Coors is also a classic that is tough to get this side of the Mississippi.

Sorry for the off topic post: In the late 60s and early 70s Coors (regular, I don't think "light" beers had been invented yet) became a cult beer in the eastern states because it wasn't available. Coors claimed their beer was unpasterized and needed to be refridgerated from brewery to glass. So they limited distribution to some western states. At least 3 times I returned from Colorado ski trips with a case of Coors in my hand. And the airports were full of other people doing the same thing. When I got home I'd call some buddies and announce, "i've got some Coors!" They would help me drink it in a few days. Was there any difference from the normal Budmillerschlitz? If anything, it was milder. Coors Light? That's redundant.

Car54
07-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Back on topic...

Sounds like Woody autox's in T2 but drinks in U1. ;)

phenryiv1
07-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Resistaaaaaaarrrrrred...

ventsyv
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm in. Need to do some work on the car, but should be done by the 5th.

mcoupemindy
07-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Current registration list attached.

RedMS3
07-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Joshua Levesque is on there twice for his 'Vette in XS (Rows 21-22).

On another note, I'm stoked that the Factory Five Roadsters are going to be there again. Since I'm helping out in the morning, I get to see them run, and then day dream about running a similar time.

mcoupemindy
07-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Joshua Levesque is on there twice for his 'Vette in XS (Rows 21-22).

On another note, I'm stoked that the Factory Five Roadsters are going to be there again. Since I'm helping out in the morning, I get to see them run, and then day dream about running a similar time.

Got it fixed. Thanks.

And yes, I'm ready to get my butt handed to me ...

MazdaSC
07-23-2009, 12:52 PM
So much for any chance at FTD.:biggrin:

m3chaser
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Yesss I can't wait to hear/see the FFR's! My brother is the one that was listed twice and it will be his first event so he may need an instructor with him for the first couple of runs. Heck this is only my 3rd event so I may need Mr. Thayer to help me out again!

Luda
07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
looks like a small crowd.... could be a nice change of pace from the 100+ car events we've been running.

and this might be my last event on stock suspension... giggity

turbosporttsi
07-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Agreed. A small crowd would definitely be nice, although that is usually the opposite of the sponsoring organization's goal...

agreatham
07-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Do we have the number assignments yet? I'm getting tired of painter's tape. Thanks.

mcoupemindy
07-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Do we have the number assignments yet? I'm getting tired of painter's tape. Thanks.

Yes ... I'll have to run them a bit later today ... thanks!

phenryiv1
07-28-2009, 08:15 AM
looks like a small crowd.... could be a nice change of pace from the 100+ car events we've been running.

and this might be my last event on stock suspension... giggity
From an enthusiast's perspective, I like the high turnout events. I get to see a lot of other cars, shoot the breeze with other drivers, and really get to watch a wide array of setups and approaches to the course.

I sure would not mind a couple more runs, but there are tradeoffs either way. Not having enough course workers is a real downer.

mcoupemindy
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Here's the updated registration list with numbers ...

Luda
07-28-2009, 12:40 PM
From an enthusiast's perspective, I like the high turnout events. I get to see a lot of other cars, shoot the breeze with other drivers, and really get to watch a wide array of setups and approaches to the course.

I sure would not mind a couple more runs, but there are tradeoffs either way. Not having enough course workers is a real downer.

i agree whole heartedly, i do enjoy the large turnouts we've received this year, i was just commenting on the smaller number of registerations, but then again most people dont register until a week before, and then theres always walk ups and what not.

mcoupemindy
07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
For those interested in a different worker assignment for this next event ... please visit here:

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=5367

Jim Dunlap
07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Sorry if this is in the FAQ and I missed it, but here's my question. Can a person register/pay twice, both AM and PM with the understanding that only the AM runs will count for points chasing - in other words the PM runs would simply be paid practice (as well as revenue for the club, of course)?

mcoupemindy
07-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Sorry if this is in the FAQ and I missed it, but here's my question. Can a person register/pay twice, both AM and PM with the understanding that only the AM runs will count for points chasing - in other words the PM runs would simply be paid practice (as well as revenue for the club, of course)?

Every person is only permitted one prior event registration. I suggest you register for the AM session. If, on event day, we have openings in the PM session, we may be able to allow a few entries for Non-Comp runs. You must register and pay again at the event, and you will be assigned a different number from the AM. Once again, this is only if there is space available.

turbosporttsi
08-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Random question: does anyone have a set of Longacre toe plates (or similar) they could bring? I need to borrow a set for a couple minutes.

phenryiv1
08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
How are registration numbers going?

mcoupemindy
08-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Here's an updated list.

mcoupemindy
08-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Also, we will be using a slightly modified schedule for this next event.

Please visit http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?view=details&id=117%3Aautocross-event-5&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=26 for the new event outline.

mcoupemindy
08-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Updated registration list attached.

There's still plenty of room. Get your friends to come out!

etherpool
08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Damn, there's a Scirocco registered! Wish this was Bowie so I could run by BMW and my Rocco! :biggrin:

agreatham
08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Updated registration list attached.

There's still plenty of room. Get your friends to come out!

We should probably put some sort of validation on the registration form to minimize classing issues:

1) Row 42, 2003 Chevy Corvette, class S1
2) Row 27, 1988 VW Scirocco, class S3
3) Row 81, 1988 BMW 325is, class S1

mcoupemindy
08-05-2009, 07:27 AM
We should probably put some sort of validation on the registration form to minimize classing issues:

1) Row 42, 2003 Chevy Corvette, class S1
2) Row 27, 1988 VW Scirocco, class S3
3) Row 81, 1988 BMW 325is, class S1

I thought about that, but I can't find a comprehensive database with every year, make, and model of car (or just BMW's and MINI's ...)

If you can find one, that would be great and we could implement for next year.

Also, remember that as club organizers, our responsibility is to run the events. The responsibility for proper classing is entirely the competitors that show up for our events.

(... and typically the ones submitting incorrect classes are newcomers - let's go easy on them)

mcoupemindy
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
We need volunteers for some critical worker positions on Saturday. Please reply here if you could help out (and this will count as your work assignment):

(2) AM Session Grid Captains
(2) PM Session Grid Captains
(2) AM Timing Workers
(2) PM Timing Workers
(?) Waiver Tent Workers

RedMS3
08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
We need volunteers for some critical worker positions on Saturday. Please reply here if you could help out (and this will count as your work assignment):

(2) AM Timing Workers
(2) PM Timing Workers
(?) Waiver Tent Workers

I can do AM Timing. I couldn't make it to the "seminar" last Saturday, so if I'm not fit for that, I can do something else. I am driving the PM session, so I won't be able to help there.

agreatham
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM

(2) AM Timing Workers
(2) PM Timing Workers
(?) Waiver Tent Workers

I'm running in the AM and will probably be part of the first group so I can help with the gear setup and then run timing from the second morning group onwards. I'll need someone to walk me through the first few runs until I get the hang of doing it myself.

mcoupemindy
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I can do AM Timing. I couldn't make it to the "seminar" last Saturday, so if I'm not fit for that, I can do something else. I am driving the PM session, so I won't be able to help there.

Could you help with the waiver when not running?

Please PM me your full name so I can add you to my list - I'm terrible with associating names with usernames.

mcoupemindy
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm running in the AM and will probably be part of the first group so I can help with the gear setup and then run timing from the second morning group onwards. I'll need someone to walk me through the first few runs until I get the hang of doing it myself.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll put you down as a timing volunteer.

Reach
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I can do timing while not running also. I just need to run in 1 of the AM sessions.

agreatham
08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I thought about that, but I can't find a comprehensive database with every year, make, and model of car (or just BMW's and MINI's ...)

If you can find one, that would be great and we could implement for next year.

Also, remember that as club organizers, our responsibility is to run the events. The responsibility for proper classing is entirely the competitors that show up for our events.

(... and typically the ones submitting incorrect classes are newcomers - let's go easy on them)

Let me see if I can track something down. We could start with something simple like only allow BMW and MINI in the S, T and M classes. It doesn't have to be comprehensive to start out with, as long as there aren't any Ariel Atom's in my class, I'll be happy ;).

noelleslie
08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
My wife, Rosana is officially not going to attend.

Anyway. I am driving afternoon, but will be there the whole day to assist with whatever you want.

If I may add, I would like to volunteer to inspect Woody's M Coupe. He severely beat me at SCCA last Sunday in the rain and I need to check his tire pressures for compliance :)

Noel

mcoupemindy
08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
My wife, Rosana is officially not going to attend.

Anyway. I am driving afternoon, but will be there the whole day to assist with whatever you want.

If I may add, I would like to volunteer to inspect Woody's M Coupe. He severely beat me at SCCA last Sunday in the rain and I need to check his tire pressures for compliance :)

Noel

I removed her from the registration list! Thanks for the heads up!

I heard this was the tool of choice for lowering Woody's tire pressures:

http://dontdatethatdude.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/razor-knife.jpg

BradMW
08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Meredith Sellers cannot attend either.

mcoupemindy
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Meredith Sellers cannot attend either.

Thank you!

Car54
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I removed her from the registration list! Thanks for the heads up!

I heard this was the tool of choice for lowering Woody's tire pressures:

This is how Woody adjusts his air pressure:

http://www.prize-wheel.com/18SlotTableLG2.jpg

woodym3
08-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Noel

Sure you can inspect my tires, but they won't be the same ones I used last Sunday. In fact, I 'd think they'll be better suited for rain.

woodym3
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
This is how Woody adjusts his air pressure:

You're supposed to adjust your air pressure? I didn't know that.

LvnZLfe
08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
Wondering if you include non-Bmws to your autocrosses? Would like to attend this Saturday with my stock Nissan 350z. :) I am I guess a novice with 1 class and 1 autocross under my belt.

Thanks for the info.
B

KatieT
08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
Wondering if you include non-Bmws to your autocrosses? Would like to attend this Saturday with my stock Nissan 350z. :) I am I guess a novice with 1 class and 1 autocross under my belt.

Thanks for the info.
B
Yep! With a stock Nissan 350z you would be in XS class.

~Katie

Car54
08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Well, not exactly. Some 350Z's (track and enthusiast) come with some pretty sticky stock tires that might be in the XR class.

B, if your treadwear (printed on the sidewall of your tires) is under 210, you are in XR.

Non-BMW's

We welcome all makes and models! (...as long as they are suitable for AutoX...)

Two Non-BMW classes will be offered:

XS - Non-BMW's w/ 210+ treadwear rating tires.

XR - Non-BMW's w/ no tire restrictions. (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=166)

LvnZLfe
08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info.
Guess I am in the XR class as my treadwear is 140.

Will be signing up tonight. :)

B

noelleslie
08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Sure you can inspect my tires, but they won't be the same ones I used last Sunday. In fact, I 'd think they'll be better suited for rain.

... not once I've inspected them they won't :redface:

darkfiber
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Just signed up for my 2nd autocross. Doing AM session this time around. Last time I didn't do anything with my tire pressure, does it really make that much of a difference?

mcoupemindy
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Just signed up for my 2nd autocross. Doing AM session this time around. Last time I didn't do anything with my tire pressure, does it really make that much of a difference?

You're right down the road from me! Nice to see another local.

Don't worry about tire pressures just yet. You'll know when your driving improves to the level that you need to start worrying about it. Just run them 6-8 psi above stock and you'll be good.

BradMW
08-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Rain, rain, come this way, make the M wheels spin away.

Reach
08-06-2009, 03:04 PM
My M doesn't need any help from the rain. My dry-rotted, just-about-bald, 4 year old pilot sports hate their life right now.

I'm only saying this to ensure this is my last event on them and I force myself to change to new equipment. :)

mcoupemindy
08-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Final registration list attached.

mcoupemindy
08-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Note: NO AM WALK-UP REGISTRATIONS PERMITTED

agreatham
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
You're right down the road from me! Nice to see another local.

Don't worry about tire pressures just yet. You'll know when your driving improves to the level that you need to start worrying about it. Just run them 6-8 psi above stock and you'll be good.

I have a stock E46 M3 ZCP. The door says to use 41 psi in the front and 48 psi in the back. The manual says this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YwqRb9PbaAJMoZhjH-FgHA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ2Gk7HziIW19wE&feat=directlinkhttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_H9BhuXsppwM/SnuZOZ9i5dI/AAAAAAAACk0/ZB-QOVyOFaE/s800/tires.png

I have the stock 225/40 19 in front and 255/35 19 in the rear. Should I set them to 48/55 or 40/42?

darkfiber
08-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Nice, I'm already #1 ;)

mcoupemindy
08-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a stock E46 M3 ZCP. The door says to use 41 psi in the front and 48 psi in the back. The manual says this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YwqRb9PbaAJMoZhjH-FgHA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ2Gk7HziIW19wE&feat=directlinkhttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_H9BhuXsppwM/SnuZOZ9i5dI/AAAAAAAACk0/ZB-QOVyOFaE/s800/tires.png

I have the stock 225/40 19 in front and 255/35 19 in the rear. Should I set them to 48/55 or 40/42?

That table shows street pressures of 33 front / 35 rear for up to four passengers. You're looking at the max load pressures!

With just a driver, I would say that you should probably start at 37 front / 39 rear.

mcoupemindy
08-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Looks like it's going to be a great day!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/hourbyhour/graph/USMD0390?begHour=8&begDay=220&from=hrly_graph

BradMW
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/hourbyhour/graph/USMD0390?begHour=8&begDay=220&from=hrly_graph

Lame.

RedMS3
08-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Wow, on the heavy side for the AM!

mcoupemindy
08-07-2009, 09:40 AM
We need as much of help as possible for AM setup tomorrow. If you are willing to assist, please show up around 8AM.

Ethan Blank
08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I can help in the AM.

Ethan

phenryiv1
08-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Boo for the dry conditions!

e30 + e90
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
My brother and I have signed up for our first autocross. Two questions:

1. Based on the registration list, I'm assuming the last column is our assigned number and that is what we need to post on the cars. How big does the numbering need to be?

2. Any advice to the noobs?

phenryiv1
08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
My brother and I have signed up for our first autocross. Two questions:

1. Based on the registration list, I'm assuming the last column is our assigned number and that is what we need to post on the car. How big does the numbering need to be?

2. Any advise to the noobs?
I am fairly new as well, but some things that I have picked up from watching and attending:

You have to have everything that is not secured in the car out of your car- loose change, floormats, CDs, sweatshirts, iPod, everything. I take a big rubbermade tote to keep my stuff in.
Use blue painters' tape to mark your numbers. Make them big- about 6" high (or larger).
Use white shoe polish to mark the sidewalls on your tires to make sure that the pressure is not too low. If it rubs off, you need more air pressure. If it is too high, you will have bad traction (it will be obvious). You may also have to adjust the pressure mid-event. Keep a tire gauge in your pocket, and get a small air tank or portable compressor to add air.
The vehicle that I drive (a non-GT Legacy) is pretty slow, and quite heavy. Do what you can to minimize the shortcomings of your car.
I found that good tires help a LOT. Getting dedicated autoX tires helps you in that you can push the car harder and know that you still have your street tires to get to work on Monday. I mounted mine on light wheels (17 lb. each) and only run the to, from, and on the track. You don't have to spend a ton- my wheel/tire setup was only $400, used. Worth every penny.
Any suspension stiffening is likely to be better than stock, unless you have a factory "performance" car. I have lowered my car and increased the strength of my struts (front only), and still need a stiffer RSB.
Having the camera in the car allowed me to critiquie my runs to see where I made bad decisions.
I talk to ANYONE at these events who seem to know what they are doing. Tech inspectors (after tech session is over), drivers beside me, old guys who have been doing this for years- anyone. You can pick up tips from anywhere.
Taking a few rides with experienced drivers was a HUGE plus. Also, having one ride along and guide me for my first few runs was good as well. They can help guide you through the course, and then can help you focus on areas to improve in subsequent runs. My first event, I did 2 ride-alongs, then I took an instructor for 2 runs, then did 2 runs on my own. It worked for me.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
I went and bought my own helmet. The thought of sharing a sweaty helmet skeeves me out, so I dropped $57 on an HJC CL-5 open face Snell 2005 helmet. You will need a Snell- (not just DOT)-rated helmet. An open face helmet is easier to wear, in my experience, but a SNELL open face is a little harder to find than is a full-face. I bought mine at a motorcycle shop.
If you get a helmet, be sure to try before you buy. I had my mind set on one model, but this one fit a lot better (and was cheaper, too).
For 90% of events, you can make your 1-2 shift and stay in second.

e30 + e90
08-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the tips. See you out there tomorrow!

iamsam
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
The latest development with my E30 is that it has decided to start overheating at an idle. So i won't be going to the event tomorrow. Major bummer.

Well try to have fun without me! ;)

agreatham
08-07-2009, 04:29 PM
That table shows street pressures of 33 front / 35 rear for up to four passengers. You're looking at the max load pressures!

With just a driver, I would say that you should probably start at 37 front / 39 rear.

I thought it was too high. So I'll start off with those and use the chalk trick in the Solo II Novice Handbook (http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm).

Sammyzuko
08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm looking forward to meeting the former heavyweight champ and seeing what he can do with his S2000. Wish he'd bring one of his Lambo's instead.....or that robot.

http://www.imcdb.org/images/002/314.jpg

BradMW
08-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I ate more cones today than my last two seasons combined. I don't even know what to blame. I want to blame my stupid frickin' tiptronic shifting at horrible times in the slalom (anyone know if there's a way to disable the lock on manual shifting during high rpm with software?), but it could have also been the energy drink I had before the event -- I had to take deep breaths before my last run just to get a clean one on the tally... Yikes, awful day for me.

Anyway, the course was amazing this time around, albeit a bit short; would love to see another like it next time. Kudos staff.

P.S. - was nice to have a work session under an hour to make up for the two-three hour one last time in the pouring rain.

jbrannon7
08-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Here are my 4 runs. Run 1 was very fast, 39.7, but I got a cone. Got a cone on run 2 also, pussy footed run 3 to get a clean one then tried again on run 4. run 4 was my fasted clean run but still a second off run 1. Was called for 2 cones on run one but I think they counted the pointer cone as a penelty as well. Not that it matters.

Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JCN9HY2V4

RedMS3
08-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Great day! It was fun to help out and I hope to do it again sometime. I may not be at the next 2 events, but we'll see.

Shout out to Pete, it was fun to ride shotgun during your second run. Learned a few things in the process, too.

Car54
08-08-2009, 06:04 PM
My vids from today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw3S3fI8Cak I only got runs 2-4 due to a memory stick being locked inadvertently.

They should be HD once they process.

Had a great time! Lot's of interesting things going on. Glad things went very smooth thanks to all who volunteered and participated.

Now....let's see them results!

Jonshungry
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Had a great time today! Had a lot of fun. Was my first autocross, and I need another go at this.. I sucked completely. (I was the White Mini)

mcoupemindy
08-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Results are posted:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168

You can thank this quick turn around to our new registration / timing help. They were fantastic today.

jbrannon7
08-08-2009, 06:40 PM
My vids from today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw3S3fI8Cak I only got runs 2-4 due to a memory stick being locked inadvertently.

They should be HD once they process.

Had a great time! Lot's of interesting things going on. Glad things went very smooth thanks to all who volunteered and participated.

Now....let's see them results!

Wow Craig, you have a lot more front grip than I do. You actually over rotated the hairpins where I was sliding the front. Congrats on your runs.

Joe

KatieT
08-08-2009, 06:42 PM
That was great turnaround on results...now the pressure is on for me to get pics up. Hopefully I'll get them on the computer tonight, sort through them tomorrow and be able to post a link to them tomorrow night. I think I took around 1800 but I can't remember...and I'm pretty sure I got everyone (but no promises).

~Katie

Sammyzuko
08-08-2009, 07:28 PM
That was a fun course! Props to the course designer(s) and everyone running the event. I was a little disappointed Rocky Balboa didn't show, but I'm sure he has a busy schedule.

m3chaser
08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I couldn't get anything going and my first run was my best HA! I was a bit frustrated to say the least and I consistently sucked today.

Also, My father-in-law and I wanted to publicly apologize for the incident after the event was done and everyone was just doing fun runs. I sincerely hope we didn't offend anyone. I know time constraints on the event were a big deal and the issue at the end of the day caused us to go past 4:30pm, so again we are really sorry about that.

Jonathan and Katie, I wanted to stay and make sure everything was ok but we had to go to the autoparts store and didn't know how far away any store was or if they were closing soon or not, so if I left abruptly I am truly sorry.

Anyways, I hope we didn't leave a bad taste in anyones mouth and we really appreciated your patience with us.

Thanks to Woody for letting me ride with him and to Craig for riding along. If I could have put into action what they were telling me to do I would have had a better time for sure.

darkfiber
08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Wish I had 1 more lap, something clicked in my head on the last lap and I did way better than my first 3.

Wish I could have stayed to work the course too but I had to get some sleep to work the night shift tonight :(

Car54
08-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Wish I had 1 more lap, something clicked in my head on the last lap and I did way better than my first 3.

Wish I could have stayed to work the course too but I had to get some sleep to work the night shift tonight :(

Just curious, what was your worker assignment?

Car54
08-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I couldn't get anything going and my first run was my best HA! I was a bit frustrated to say the least and I consistently sucked today.

Also, My father-in-law and I wanted to publicly apologize for the incident after the event was done and everyone was just doing fun runs. I sincerely hope we didn't offend anyone. I know time constraints on the event were a big deal and the issue at the end of the day caused us to go past 4:30pm, so again we are really sorry about that.

Jonathan and Katie, I wanted to stay and make sure everything was ok but we had to go to the autoparts store and didn't know how far away any store was or if they were closing soon or not, so if I left abruptly I am truly sorry.

Anyways, I hope we didn't leave a bad taste in anyones mouth and we really appreciated your patience with us.

Thanks to Woody for letting me ride with him and to Craig for riding along. If I could have put into action what they were telling me to do I would have had a better time for sure.

Sorry I made you slower! Your FIL was a hoot...how'd you guys get it going again?

agreatham
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I'd like to thank Greg, Joe and Craig for showing me how it's supposed to be done. I'm still the last in my class but I'm closing the gap.

Here are the videos (sorry, no audio -- external mic was acting up):

Run #2 with Joe instructing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ILV6wypEv8)
Run #3 with Craig instructing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIfpTHqy1k)
Run #4 all by my self (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kEIGOBEouo)

Jim, thanks for the coffee and the cleaning advice.

Alex, you could have fooled me when you said you just learned how to drive stick. We won't mention that thing you did ... ;)

Anthony, nice car. Is it for sale?

darkfiber
08-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Just curious, what was your worker assignment?

Didn't get one. I left after group A completed.

e30 + e90
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks to all who work to put on the event. This was my first autocross and won't be my last. It took two runs to get a handle on the course but my last two runs were better than I had hoped (48 seconds and change) and I really got a chance to feel what the 335i can do. Some new rubber (other than the factory run-flats) is in order soon.

I've got the bug.

Pete
08-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Great day! It was fun to help out and I hope to do it again sometime. I may not be at the next 2 events, but we'll see.

Shout out to Pete, it was fun to ride shotgun during your second run. Learned a few things in the process, too.

Glad I could help. I thought my lines where good but the tires just didn't hold up like they did at the beginning of the year. I tried to mess with tire pressures a bit to help the balance of the car but gambled incorrectly on my last run. I finally got the rear end more neutral but gambled on the front air pressure and lost grip up front so the car pushed harder on corner exit and cost me a bit of time. Hopefully, next time I'll be a bit closer to the right pressure set up as the tires where very different in the warmer weather than in the beginning of the year and what I had for grip last year.

I'm always happy to give rides. The course was pretty challenging, those darn U turns and the skid pad where tough if you made a mistake on your braking or turn in.

Over all a good day,

noelleslie
08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Here is my first run: 41.504 where I hit a cone after the finish. It is entertaining at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfpvMkEoyBw

I thought we all did a great job today - Thanks to the unsung heros that showed up early and stayed all day to make sure we got done.

Jonshungry
08-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Loved the Cobras

Got a nice shot of one

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2642/3801613819_da0fdcc025.jpg

MazdaSC
08-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Noel great job on that run too bad it didn't count, you were super smooth on the wheel throughout and good lines through the whole course. I was glad we finally got a chance to swap cars, once again we very close time wise and have similar driving styles but from looking at the video your inputs seem smoother.

wade chamberlain
08-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Big thanks to the NCC group for a fun event! This was my first time running w/ you guys and I had a blast.:biggrin:

Here's a vid of my 37.533 run if anybody is interested....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_URHFOQ6Io

woodym3
08-09-2009, 08:16 AM
haha. Great run Wade. I think you were at full throttle all of 1.2 seconds of the 37 second run.

LvnZLfe
08-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Yesterday was my 2nd autocross and first with you guys.
Had a great time and you guys put on a well run event!!! :biggrin:

Glad I had a chance to entertain the PM run with my video camera flying off the windshield because I hit my wiper controller. For some reason on my first run I always do that. :eek:
Just wish there was a video of it. Oh well, live and learn..........

At least my time wasn't too bad at a 45.755. Gotta perform better on the big circle.

Thanks again for a fun time and I look forward to returning with my 350z!

Beth

Car54
08-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Event #6 is up!

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=5341

Who's in?

noelleslie
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
ADAM taking ALEX for a leisurely tour of the Sykesville facility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86dOO4o-Tng

I think I heard her say "Adam, stop - you had me at 'autocross'"

JAMES DUNHAM (usually drives his gray Miata)

James and I do a lot of events together. We are always within +/- 0.5 seconds, so we decided to have a "spec competition" of sorts. It proved inconclusive since it seemed not to matter whose car we were in.. we were still neck and neck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYg6ThUrp4s

alexmarksthespot
08-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Hah I'm definitely getting better at stick! I drove home from the event yesterday :-)

Nice video Noel! Loved riding in your car, it was fun!

Linh
08-09-2009, 05:08 PM
it's fun to abu.. I mean, drive, adam's car. It'll be even better next time since now I know he has traction control and I had it on the entire time.

oh, and THANK YOU for a new trailer.. holy hell that makes life so much easier

Walka
08-09-2009, 05:42 PM
This was a good course, I just replaced my red mr2 with the blue one and its currently stock (guy sold it to me as a shell only to find out it had some minor wiring issues). so this course was a great one to break in the new car to get a before feeling of the project.

I also enjoyed the U-turnaround that i couldnt get the front to rotate and ended up doing a decent drift. My camera however was on Harddrive mode and couldnt take the vibrations so i got no video :-\.

Good event all around.

SamB325es
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Video of run # 4. Still working on my camera work...and looking for the best camera angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByXdX_sdSYk

VMETAL
08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I was the Nissan maxima there at yesterdays event and had a blast!

Thank you NCCBMWCCA for hosting the event and laying out such a nice course ;)

I do have my runs recorded but from the exterior view :)

9nN_kgjIp5I

Zcruizer
08-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey Sam, nice video, btw, was there a run you didn't hit a cone? haaa !!!
I know you had better times than me but I had my blast shield down while driving.

SamB325es
08-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey Sam, nice video, btw, was there a run you didn't hit a cone? haaa !!!
I know you had better times than me but I had my blast shield down while driving.

I was told that if you are not hitting cones than you aren't pushing hard enough. Don't you have twice the horsepower and still are a second slower? Maybe you should hit some cones! :)

phenryiv1
08-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Great event again. The course was a lot more challenging for me than the SP setups, and I really had to drive better to have a clean run. I see 47 places to improve, after watching my runs.

I only got 3 on video, but it was a great time!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/th_4thRun.jpg (http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/?action=view&current=4thRun.flv)
^^^^^^^
Fastest run at 46.3

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/th_3rdRun.jpg (http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/?action=view&current=3rdRun.flv)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/th_2ndRun.jpg (http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/?action=view&current=2ndRun.flv)

Zcruizer
08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
What is it with you e30 drivers and your horsepower complex ??
You beat me by 1.4 seconds to be exact. Now that I looked, congrats on 1st place in T4, Higgins must be upset.

xvxax
08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Did anyone happen to find/pick up a air tank and longacre tire gauge on the grid lot? It was sitting in the grass next to a light pole near the back of grid. If so, please e-mail me at pptyson@<hidden> Thanks.

MazdaSC
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I finally got a chance to upload the videos today, I was at the MSCW autocross yesterday everything was going well until I accidently shifted to first instead of third and broke my clutch. Might not make the August 29 event now since I won't have any free time to fix my clutch for a couple of weeks.

Here is my best effort 41.379 http://www.youtube.com/user/700hurricane#play/all/uploads-all/0/DnhCDNjmc3U

Here is Noel's run in my car http://www.youtube.com/user/700hurricane#play/all/uploads-all/1/OndaD_P5ayw
Sorry no time to edit it got a little extra comentary.

BradMW
08-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Did anyone happen to find/pick up a air tank and longacre tire gauge on the grid lot? It was sitting in the grass next to a light pole near the back of grid. If so, please e-mail me at pptyson@<hidden> Thanks.

I found one in that exact location at the end of PM and took it home with me. Then again, it was mine (just double checked) so it's probably not the one you're looking for. I didn't see any others out there while I was picking mine up though.

woodym3
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
The results show a 2009 Z3 in Showroom 4. Chris Keene was the driver. Anyone know what year/model/class this really is?

Luda
08-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Thank you to everyone that pitched in to make this event happen, that was the smoothest event i think ive ever been at. I would personally thank the guys who came out to help with tech, it made the process much smoother then i was hoping for.

Also a giant thanks to everyone cooperating on grid, it helped keep the day flowing.

Motron
08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
The results show a 2009 Z3 in Showroom 4. Chris Keene was the driver. Anyone know what year/model/class this really is?

I talked to him during the event and he said he was driving a completely stock Z3. I don't know what year or whether it was a four or six cylinder. If four, then S4 is correct.

xvxax
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
If it is yours, then yes, there is probably a good chance it's not the one I'm looking for.

The tank was on the grid side of the grid lot and had a longacre black tire gauge sitting on top of it. It was sitting next to the last pole furthest from the entrance to the lot.Silver RRT, bimmerworld, Madison Motorsports and a skavengers sticker on the tank. It's black, 10 gallons. I hope someone picked it up, if you did please let me know. I really liked them both.

If you saw someone walking away with it, please e-mail me too. Thanks.

I found one in that exact location at the end of PM and took it home with me. Then again, it was mine (just double checked) so it's probably not the one you're looking for. I didn't see any others out there while I was picking mine up though.

e30 + e90
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I talked to him during the event and he said he was driving a completely stock Z3. I don't know what year or whether it was a four or six cylinder. If four, then S4 is correct.

That was my brother. The year was incorrectly input on the registration form. It was a 1997 Z3 - 4 cylinder model.

agreatham
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Looks like some of the pictures are up now. Here's the link (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL). Thanks, Katie!

Pete
08-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Wooho! Lots of pictures of my car.

Thanks Katie!

Edit: what gives. I can't save them like I used to. Darn :(

95Maxrider
08-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Great event again. The course was a lot more challenging for me than the SP setups, and I really had to drive better to have a clean run. I see 47 places to improve, after watching my runs.

I only got 3 on video, but it was a great time!

Any chance you could upload the pics you took of my car? I realized after the race that I forgot to turn up the stiffness on my front Konis. They were at full soft and I usually run them at full stiff. I wonder if it even made a difference, since I didn't even remember until I left the event....Here's a video of one of my runs:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/95maxrider/Car%20pics/th_MVI_3639.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/95maxrider/Car%20pics/?action=view&current=MVI_3639.flv)

Big thanks to Patrick who fabbed up the camera mount for me!!

KatieT
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
At least some of the pics are up. About half of them uploaded last night and I started running it again at 6:40ish this morning for the other 600ish and it's still going. I'll let you guys know when they're all up.

Edit: what gives. I can't save them like I used to. Darn :(Yeah I know. We ran out of space on Google so I got a smugmug account. Yes, you have to pay for the digital copies (only $1 each) but all the money will go back into the autocross program. I figured that it would be a way to raise some money to help pay off that nice new trailer :wink:. Think of it as my contribution to helping to pay for everything - kinda like your registration fees help pay for everything.

~Katie

Biggins
08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
What is it with you e30 drivers and your horsepower complex ??
You beat me by 1.4 seconds to be exact. Now that I looked, congrats on 1st place in T4, Higgins must be upset.
Sam got me fair and square again with the torque monster... I'll just sign over the Sykesville events to him and Jason. I haven't run well at MSP with the exception of one or two of John V/Clyde's courses there a few years back. I can't believe I got as close as I did on the last run, but I had to take out the finish to get it. :eek:

I guess I'll have to do SCCA this weekend for practice. My favorite part of autocross is still the post-event excuses (mine and everyone else's).

I also have no videos to share. Since everyone else seems to have one, maybe I'll look into that for the future?

KatieT
08-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Ok...all 1396 pics are up here (http://katiethayer.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL#615674233_hLY7S). Enjoy!

~Katie

Sammyzuko
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks Katie! I took the plunge and bought one for $1 to see how big they were. Hope it's ok if I post it here to give everyone an idea of the size(and showoff a nice picture:)).

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6637/sykesvilleautox.jpg

KatieT
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks Katie! I took the plunge and bought one for $1 to see how big they were. Hope it's ok if I post it here to give everyone an idea of the size(and showoff a nice picture:)).http://lh6.ggpht.com/_rWUx8jJtirk/SoCRIMY9b4I/AAAAAAAAAGA/JozhmAV13hk/15832914-DSC_6319.JPGThanks! You bought it so it's yours - go ahead and show it off.

~Katie

Sammyzuko
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I can't figure out the hosting site....lol. The picture doesn't always seem to show up. Oh well.

mcoupemindy
08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
That is a REALLY nice picture of you and your car!

Car54
08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Kinda looks like you're parked on course. Nice shot.

m3chaser
08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Great work Katie! The second to last pic of my car on the last page almost looks like my car is up on 3 wheels, but clearly it wasn't.

agreatham
08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Katie! I took the plunge and bought one for $1 to see how big they were. Hope it's ok if I post it here to give everyone an idea of the size(and showoff a nice picture:)).

I bought the $5 full 6.1 megapixel resolution version of this great shot (license plates erased to protect the not-so-innocent):

http://sites.google.com/site/agreathampics/_/rsrc/1249945548930/home/20090808085534001.JPG

I don't know anyone who still prints pictures anymore so if all you're doing is posting these on Facebook, then the $1 version is all you need. If you want a very good (300 dpi) 4x6 or a decent (~250 dpi) 8x10, you want the $5 version.

Again, thanks to Katie for taking all these photos and posting them. Not that I'm complaining, but the ISO may have been set a tad too high for the conditions. I brought it to Katie's attention so they should be fine next time.

KatieT
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Again, thanks to Katie for taking all these photos and posting them. Not that I'm complaining, but the ISO may have been set a tad too high for the conditions. I brought it to Katie's attention so they should be fine next time.Thanks for letting me know. I guarantee I'm not the best photographer - I'm just enthusiastic :biggrin:. I'll play with the ISO next time and we'll see what happens. Glad you guys are enjoying!

~Katie

Biggins
08-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Katie...

I bought a mousepad and some prints from Team WTF's smugmug galleries in years past and they all turned out great. I have to pick which ones I want from this gallery, but I definitely see a keeper or two.

agreatham
08-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I guarantee I'm not the best photographer - I'm just enthusiastic :biggrin:. I'll play with the ISO next time and we'll see what happens. Glad you guys are enjoying!
~Katie

They're great pictures. Check out all these plus ones you caught:

Car 123 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/1/615681188_QJppW/Original)
Car 110 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/1/615705057_Kt4ku/Original) (epic plus one)
Car 112 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/1/615686017_aH8xc/Medium) (this must be photoshopped :redface:)

I do find it suspicious that they're all from the same cone. I think we were set up.

agreatham
08-10-2009, 07:21 PM

I think someone just called you slow, Sammyzuko ... :wink:

VMETAL
08-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Awesome photos dude!!

These are my favorites :D
Car #215 Photo 1150 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/72/616093389_vJTBC/Medium)
Car #215 Photo 1152 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/72/616092648_RH5Yn/Medium)
and
Car #215 Photo 1154 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/72/616093106_STPxp/Medium)

http://smiliesftw.com/x/wiggle.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

KatieT
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I do find it suspicious that they're all from the same cone. I think we were set up.It was great...that cone was hit so often it wasn't funny. It didn't take me nearly as long to go through them as I thought it would. Was interesting since we used the big TV as a computer screen. I really liked this shot (Car 138 (http://katiethayer.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL#615747378_qMgeq)) and this one (Car 208 (http://katiethayer.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL#616101076_BmYAF)). I know there were others I liked too but it's hard to find them in all those pics.

~Katie

Sammyzuko
08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
That is a REALLY nice picture of you and your car!
Thanks! Props to the photographer. When I see Katie at events I usually think "she must not be taking pictures today" because I see her off doing other things. I'm not sure how she manages to take all those pictures.

Lol...it does look like I'm out there hardparking. I figured I have enough pics where my car looks out of shape, so I went with the one where she looks the sexiest.

I bought the $5 full 6.1 megapixel resolution version of this great shot
Sweet Jebus that's a huge picture! Pretty cool to examine.

I think someone just called you slow, Sammyzuko ... :wink:
Maybe that's the kind of inspiration I need to set up my game at the next event.

Awesome photos dude!!

These are my favorites :D
Car #215 Photo 1150 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/72/616093389_vJTBC/Medium)
Car #215 Photo 1152 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/72/616092648_RH5Yn/Medium)
and
Car #215 Photo 1154 (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL/72/616093106_STPxp/Medium)

http://smiliesftw.com/x/wiggle.gif (http://smiliesftw.com/)
Nice ones!

Rogue Dead Guy
08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Here are my pictures from a-x #5:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8728303_cDkk4

My buddy took the first batch from the hill-side. I took the majority of the pictures from the back grass. Obviously I keyed in on some 3-wheel cars.

I'm the guy who drove the E34 535i.

phenryiv1
08-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Any chance you could upload the pics you took of my car?
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/Augut8AutoX026.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/Augut8AutoX029.jpg

The rest are in the same series...cut the link:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/Augut8AutoX0??.jpg

Replace the "??" with numbers 16 through 29.

phenryiv1
08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice picture, Katie:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/AutoX%20Aug%208/08060901.jpg

VMETAL
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Nice ones!
I know right!

I can't thank Katie enough! :)

Going to purchase mine soon :biggrin:

KatieT
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
You're welcome guys. I like taking pics...it's fun :biggrin:

~Katie

cohare
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
It was great...that cone was hit so often it wasn't funny. It didn't take me nearly as long to go through them as I thought it would. Was interesting since we used the big TV as a computer screen. I really liked this shot (Car 138 (http://katiethayer.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL#615747378_qMgeq)) and this one (Car 208 (http://katiethayer.smugmug.com/gallery/9215749_jPUgL#616101076_BmYAF)). I know there were others I liked too but it's hard to find them in all those pics.

~Katie

Kaite -

I was 208, thank you so much for taking pics, I literally have none! which shot were you talking about it didnt link to it? Great shots altogether cant wait to buy them! - Chris

Hater
08-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Couldn't stick around for long but..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/3813174104_c7a29072c0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3813174196_63e6710af0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3455/3813174328_1773b05c92.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/3812359811_7f40d4bde9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3583/3813175542_92fccbc0d0.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3813174812_921f1c1d09.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/3812360135_43b0cab3f6.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3565/3813174482_c485c723d9_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/3813174564_9a11ea32cc.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2435/3812375087_04e60386a3.jpg

agreatham
08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Here are my pictures from a-x #5:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8728303_cDkk4

My buddy took the first batch from the hill-side. I took the majority of the pictures from the back grass. Obviously I keyed in on some 3-wheel cars.

I'm the guy who drove the E34 535i.

Awesome, more pictures! And free, too! Thanks for taking them and posting them. That D40 is a nice camera and it looks like you also have the 70-300mm f/4.5 - f/5.6 lens. Here's a neat trick you may want to try when taking pictures at event #6 (hint, hint): try dropping your shutter speed to say, 1/125, and then follow the car with your camera while taking the shot. The slower shutter speed will make the wheels and the background blur like this:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_H9BhuXsppwM/SdQ_me6fbbI/AAAAAAAABjo/r5OA_01iUuQ/s800/3405449743_0963711a16_o_d.jpg

This picture was taken at 1/20 second shutter at f/11.0 which gives maybe too much blur. Try it with 1/125 and then keep making it slower until you're happy with the results. The trick is being able to keep the car in frame while in motion.

KatieT
08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Kaite -

I was 208, thank you so much for taking pics, I literally have none! which shot were you talking about it didnt link to it? Great shots altogether cant wait to buy them! - ChrisIt was pic 1191...not sure why it wasn't linking. I love the color of your car - it's one I hadn't seen before - and there's a bunch of pics of it.

~Katie

cohare
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
It was pic 1191...not sure why it wasn't linking. I love the color of your car - it's one I hadn't seen before - and there's a bunch of pics of it.

~Katie

Thanks! color is Arena Red - funny I wasn't sold on it at first but its tough to find a nice 993 with low miles. I couldn't be too picky then it ended up growing on me..

That was my favorite too! Just became my avitar on other sites and here too if they let my newbie self, Thanks for all the pics, hopefully you will be out next time!

RedMS3
08-11-2009, 09:02 PM

I'm always happy to give rides. The course was pretty challenging, those darn U turns and the skid pad where tough if you made a mistake on your braking or turn in....

You aren't kidding...I pushed it a little too hard on the first U-turn during my third run and understeered quite a bit. Wish I wouldn't have done that since it was my fastest time of the day, but oh well. Our times were about 1.3 seconds apart and I could feel a world of difference between your run and my quickest. I understood what you were complaining about with your tall gearing in a couple corners, I feel the same with driving a high-boost car around some of the slower turns in 2nd gear.

It was a fun day and I think being more involved caused me to enjoy it even more! Nice music, btw. I know I've heard it somewhere...could be among my collection of Tiesto CDs.

Jim Dunlap
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Photos are nice; thanks Katie (and others)!!

I just re-read the last few Pages of this Post. Am I missing the results? Are they posted somewhere that I'm not looking??

Hater
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I will try to shoot the next event completely, hopefully lighting will be better.

Biggins
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I understood what you were complaining about with your tall gearing in a couple corners, I feel the same with driving a high-boost car around some of the slower turns in 2nd gear.
Downshift? I know I dropped 1.5 seconds from my first run by downshifting and running most of the course in first gear after the slow turn. I'm always shifting all over the place at Sykesville.

AG
08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Photos are nice; thanks Katie (and others)!!

I just re-read the last few Pages of this Post. Am I missing the results? Are they posted somewhere that I'm not looking??

Autocross results are always available off the main site.
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168

RedMS3
08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Downshift? I know I dropped 1.5 seconds from my first run by downshifting and running most of the course in first gear after the slow turn. I'm always shifting all over the place at Sykesville.

I have stayed in second gear after the initial shift for each autocross I've been to so far (excluding my f ups in the chicago box at the first event in Sykesville). I lose boost above 5500-6000 and in first gear, that means I'm shifting at 22-25MPH into second. I was in 2nd before the second cone in the slalom this past Saturday :) The slow turns and long straights make me teeter between 1-2 and 2-3. I made the judgement that shifting twice in close succession would cost me more time.

EDIT: Found out 5500-6000 in first is 25-30mph. I tend to short shift even more so (5000-5500, 20-25MPH) from 1st to 2nd because it's easy for me to miss the small window and go up near redline and/or hit the rev limiter, which usually causes me to grind 2nd.

Car54
08-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Chris has a 4 speed auto...apples to oranges comparo.

Biggins
08-13-2009, 06:34 AM
True, but Jason (with a 5-speed) downshifted on his last run too and dropped ~1.5 seconds (to beat me). Brian H and Kevin are the ones who told me to do all the shifting at the small lots to keep the power where it needs to be. It's definitely been much faster for me (and most of the low hp cars) at Sykesville, Manassas, Winchester, etc.

It's a hail mary for my car at the small lots with slow corners (that's my excuse). I'm going to give FedEx a try for the first time this year on Sunday... it's been two years since I ran with WDCR.

RedMS3
08-13-2009, 09:13 AM

That is a bit different from a 6 speed manual...although I have talked to a couple friends who are running 5 speed manuals and they stayed in 1st most of the time to improve their runs.

Do any folks with 6 speeds downshift into 1st during these events?

Also, were there any events in the past that had higher top speeds? I'd love to finally get my car in 3rd gear so that I can take advantage of full boost because it's limited in 1st and 2nd to combat torque steer :)

mcoupemindy
08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Also, were there any events in the past that had higher top speeds? I'd love to finally get my car in 3rd gear so that I can take advantage of full boost because it's limited in 1st and 2nd to combat torque steer :)

There's a fine speed line between a high speed autocross and a time trial.

Typically, we need to ensure that the courses do not require speeds in excess of normal highway speeds (~ 65 mph).

RedMS3
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
There's a fine speed line between a high speed autocross and a time trial.

Typically, we need to ensure that the courses do not require speeds in excess of normal highway speeds (~ 65 mph).

Good call. Optimally, I should be shifting into 3rd by 50 MPH. Of course, more powerful cars will get to 60 quicker than I and I realize they're the upper limit for that ~65 MPH cutoff. Better safe than sorry. I guess this is a good reason why I should attend the driving school in October at Summit Point!

EDIT: Changed speed.

Biggins
08-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Cumberland... I hit 80-90mph at one of their events a couple years back. It's just a haul to get out there.

http://www.nationalroadrally.com

cohare
08-14-2009, 06:59 AM
That is a bit different from a 6 speed manual...although I have talked to a couple friends who are running 5 speed manuals and they stayed in 1st most of the time to improve their runs.

Do any folks with 6 speeds downshift into 1st during these events?

Not a BMW but, I shifted into 2nd on my last 2 runs, picked up 1.5 seconds at least, porsches are geared pretty low but, in 2nd it was still too low in the RPM to get any speed.

Pete
08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
I stayed in 2nd on all of my runs last Saturday. Due to the understeer that I was experiencing, I didn't want to drop in to 1rst as my acceleration would have taken too much weight of the front end and made the understeer worse if I didn't control throttle. In this course I did bog the motor down a bit accelerating out of the U turns but it was as good as my car was going to get.

There are courses (layouts) which require my car to downshift in to first as the nature of how tall my gearing is.

When I had my E36, there are occasions where you can pick up some time by downshifting but it requires a delicate touch as you can make the car over rotate if you get your timing wrong. For the most part, 2nd gear is usually fine for most courses.

It's really course dependent and car dependent as some cars will have enough torque. Sometimes, the course is tight enough that you will need to get into first to stay in your power band.

Jim Dunlap
08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Know what I don't like? Getting distracted for a few minutes, then going back to my Post that I just spent some time on and finding myself timed out. Sometimes logging in again brings back the draft post, sometimes not. Maybe I'll figure it out "one of these days."

The short version of what I lost: After my poor #5 showing in S1 I was sharpening my hari kari knife with atonement in mind, but then I noticed that the spread for almost all of us was well under a second. Hmmm. Less than a hiccup. I'm hoping for a longer run next time. And as to what some others have said about gears, with the high rev limit of our M3s, re-thinking more use of 1st gear might well be appropriate.

Car54
08-14-2009, 09:59 PM
If it helps you feel better Jim, the Z4 3.0 coupe (3rd place) was improperly classed.

Also, when I autocrossed my E46 M3, I would shift to first at Manassas High School lot.

mcoupemindy
08-15-2009, 07:05 AM
If it helps you feel better Jim, the Z4 3.0 coupe (3rd place) was improperly classed.

Also, when I autocrossed my E46 M3, I would shift to first at Manassas High School lot.

What number / class? I'll correct it.

Car54
08-15-2009, 10:51 PM
The Ainge's, Taylor and William.

mcoupemindy
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
The Ainge's, Taylor and William.

Ight ... I'll get on it sometime this week.

woodym3
08-17-2009, 02:05 PM

In October 1994 we held an autocross on the air strip at Airlie Conference Center near Warrenton. I was tasked with designing the course on a patch of pavement that was 57 feet wide and 3,200 feet long. In the article I wrote for derBayerische I mention that I shifted gears 16 times - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were needed for this 85 second course. A 944 Turbo was reaching 120 mph. Was it safe? Uh. . . probably not, but there were no incidents.

The article starts on page 8 of the Jan/Feb 1995 derBayerische:
http://db.nccbmwcca.org/1995/1995_0102.pdf

mcoupemindy
08-17-2009, 02:28 PM
In October 1994 we held an autocross on the air strip at Airlie Conference Center near Warrenton. I was tasked with designing the course on a patch of pavement that was 57 feet wide and 3,200 feet long. In the article I wrote for derBayerische I mention that I shifted gears 16 times - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were needed for this 85 second course. A 944 Turbo was reaching 120 mph. Was it safe? Uh. . . probably not, but there were no incidents.

The article starts on page 8 of the Jan/Feb 1995 derBayerische:
http://db.nccbmwcca.org/1995/1995_0102.pdf

9th Place - Completely Unacceptable.

woodym3
08-17-2009, 04:59 PM
This was the very definition of a "horsepower course" and my E30 325 was way down on hp to everyone above me with the possible exception of Vince Bly's MR2. I don't remember if it was normally aspirated, or not.

ronh21
08-17-2009, 07:09 PM

I saw you were asking questions in the Oct driving school thread. You'd definitely use 3rd there. Come on out and you might even luck into Woody as your instructor :)

Jim Dunlap
08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Give Woody a break. He had FTD on Oct 30th!! And 9th out of a jillion cars isn't bad, either.

RedMS3
08-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I saw you were asking questions in the Oct driving school thread. You'd definitely use 3rd there. Come on out and you might even luck into Woody as your instructor :)

3rd and likely 4th if I get above 70mph! Watching videos of the Jefferson Circuit is getting the blood flowing. I'm seriously considering coming out, but it'll probably mean that I miss the final autocross of the season.