PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 Teams to start new series!!

woodym3
06-19-2009, 06:47 AM
From AutoWeek:

In a stunning development Thursday night to the ongoing dispute between the FIA and the Formula One Teams Association, FOTA announced via a statement that it plans to leave the official Formula One World Championship in favor of establishing its own breakaway series beginning next year.

The established F1 teams have been waging a well-documented battle with the sport's governing body over future technical regulations and the FIA's push to introduce a budget cap beginning in 2010. After meeting Thursday at Renault F1's factory in the U.K., FOTA's eight members--Ferrari, BMW Sauber, Renault, McLaren-Mercedes, Brawn GP, Toyota, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso--determined that they have had enough of FIA president Max Mosley and F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone.

The full report:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090618/F1/906189977

Biggins
06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Good. Maybe the discussions about the sport will focus on racing now instead of spending weeks in court trying to decide races' outcomes and future seasons. As painful as the split may be in the near future, I think the FOTA is making the only decision they can.

I'm still convinced a compromise will eventually be reached. Don't quote me, but it appears attendance is already way down from last year and with the exit of the FOTA teams, I doubt many people will care about the F1 brand name if the big players aren't in it.

Scany
06-19-2009, 12:21 PM
This is all very interesting.

woodym3
06-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm still convinced a compromise will eventually be reached.

Well, that didn't take long. . . .at least according to Max:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-agreement-reached-with-fota-says-mosley/

ldsbeaker
06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
It was kinda getting out of control. I'm glad that they've come to some kind of agreement. It's all about the bottom line anyways. Two series' would have compromised their potential profit margins. Can't have that!