PDA

View Full Version : (2009) NCC Autocross Event #4 - July 11 @ Summit Point Motorsports Park

Pages : [1] 2

Scany
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
We go back to Summit Point Motorsports Park and the Washington Circuit once again. This time we are hoping for dry weather and a dry track. Registration for NCC Autocross event number 4 of the 2009 season is now open. Click the following link to register: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_form&form_id=15

The 2009 season is well underway. If you haven't already joined us for the first 3 events, it's time to register and come out and play with your car at the NCC Autocross event #4. Summit Point Motorsports Park might be a couple of miles outside the DC metro area, but it sure is worth the drive. The Washington Circuit has already proven to be ideal for autocross and lots of fun. NCC Autocross welcomes everyone, it being the first timers or the veteran autocrosser. We hope to see you there!

Anders
www.nccautocross.com

Zcruizer
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Still picking rocks and mud from under the car thanks to the first two events, but can't wait for the next one.

Luda
06-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Already Registered, im gonna try to get some sort of real suspension on the GP, but i might come out with the boat suspension still, either way ill be there

Reach
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
See you guys there as usual. :)

RedMS3
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Roger that, all signed up.

bmw_matt
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Hmm, never been to Summit Point, but I sure loved doing Sykesville so I'll go register...;)

iamsam
06-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Signed up for PM (again)

Hopefully this time i'll be able to steer my car rather than just use it as a plow.

joenationwide
06-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Signed up! Lets hope this one is dry! :biggrin:

Car54
06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Curbs are in as of 5/31....I'll have another look this weekend when I go out there for Hyperfest.

Scany
06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Curbs are in as of 5/31....I'll have another look this weekend when I go out there for Hyperfest.

We might have to try 'em out with the 13hp karts :biggrin:

95Maxrider
06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Roger that, all signed up.

Bobby said you weren't gonna make it due to GF constraints :mad:

Now all I can do is pray for rain :frown:

bmw_matt
06-18-2009, 11:38 PM
2 hr drive. Hopefully nothing breaks at the auto-x or else an expensive tow :(

RedMS3
06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Bobby said you weren't gonna make it due to GF constraints :mad:

Now all I can do is pray for rain :frown:

Surprise! ;)

mcoupemindy
06-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Current registration list attached.

phenryiv1
06-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Just signed up.

Signed up! Lets hope this one is dry! :biggrin:
I pray for wet.

woodym3
06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Just signed up.

I pray for wet.

I'll second that motion.

noelleslie
06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
OK... fine. I'll pray for wet too.. I'll switch to AM and after the AM session let's hope it gets wet... and cools off a lot too for that matter :)

phenryiv1
06-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd rather run in the AM, but all of the people whom I know are from too far East to want to get there in the AM. I signed up for PM so that I don't stand around by myself looking like a complete toolbag.

woodym3
06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
OK... fine. I'll pray for wet too.. I'll switch to AM and after the AM session let's hope it gets wet... and cools off a lot too for that matter :)

None of your tactics will work this day Noel.

I'd rather run in the AM, but all of the people whom I know are from too far East to want to get there in the AM. I signed up for PM so that I don't stand around by myself looking like a complete toolbag.

If you get there early in the AM volunteer to help with set up. It's a good way to get to know the others. If you run in the AM you will then be able to harass your PM friends about their driving.

phenryiv1
06-26-2009, 02:36 PM
If you get there early in the AM volunteer to help with set up. It's a good way to get to know the others. If you run in the AM you will then be able to harass your PM friends about their driving.
Actually, I need to move to the AM. What is the best way to get moved? Who should I bug?

Scany
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Actually, I need to move to the AM. What is the best way to get moved? Who should I bug?

Re-register and let Car54 (Craig) know about your change.

Pete
06-26-2009, 03:26 PM
I pray for cool weather.

Scany
06-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I just hope my E36 will be ready that Friday with the new Spec3 suspension, exhaust and tires. If not I'll have to bring the bumble bee out from it's newly retired status.

irish44j
06-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm in....and I "third" the call for rain....though no rain is ok too. Time to come run my own car instead of everyone else's..

Still think RE01R's should be in with the street tires group rather than race compound group...they are my daily driver summers after all :(

irish44j
06-27-2009, 07:16 PM
by the way, is the list of people signed up so far posted someplace? Looking to see if some other people I know will be there....

woodym3
06-28-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm in....and I "third" the call for rain....though no rain is ok too. Time to come run my own car instead of everyone else's..

Still think RE01R's should be in with the street tires group rather than race compound group...they are my daily driver summers after all :(

Check the rules. The Bridgestone RE-01R is in that category of low treadwear rating tires that the industry calls "extreme performance summer tires". Even though many of us use them for daily driving, we do not consider them fair for our Showroom category. They are legal in our Tuner category. The race compound you mention is only legal in the Modified category.
And don't bother comparing our rules with the SCCA's Solo rules.

Car54
06-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Woody,

The non-BMW category's threshold for R-comp vs. Street tire is 210 treadwear. That puts most extreme summer tires into R-comp class.

XS - Non-BMW's w/ 210+ treadwear rating tires.

XR - Non-BMW's w/ no tire restrictions.

woodym3
06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Wow. When where did that crazy rule come from?

mcoupemindy
06-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Woody,

The non-BMW category's threshold for R-comp vs. Street tire is 210 treadwear. That puts most extreme summer tires into R-comp class.

Considering that you know everything, I assume that you're going to take over classing next year?

irish44j
06-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Check the rules. The Bridgestone RE-01R is in that category of low treadwear rating tires that the industry calls "extreme performance summer tires". Even though many of us use them for daily driving, we do not consider them fair for our Showroom category. They are legal in our Tuner category. The race compound you mention is only legal in the Modified category.
And don't bother comparing our rules with the SCCA's Solo rules.

I'm driving a non-bmw, so there is no showroom/tuner/modified category. Just the "street tires (210+ treadwear)" and the "no tire restrictions" categories. So the RE-01R is actually in with the race compounds for the non-BMW classes. And while the tire is a great tire, it is still a couple seconds slower than a same-sized r-comp in my experience. I just can't afford r-comps and wheels for the new car yet :(

But it's all academic. I'm aware of the rules and will of course follow them. Just voicing my worthless opinion!

irish44j
06-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Woody,

Wow. When where did that crazy rule come from?

lol, sorry...didn't see the responses before I posted mine :rolleyes:

irish44j
06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
on another topic, I noticed that the online signup asked for preferred car numbers/2nd choice/etc (I don't remember it asking this last time, but could be wrong).

Does this mean that we will be able to use our own numbers, or will it still be sequential like at the #2 event that I was at?

mcoupemindy
06-29-2009, 04:43 AM
on another topic, I noticed that the online signup asked for preferred car numbers/2nd choice/etc (I don't remember it asking this last time, but could be wrong).

Does this mean that we will be able to use our own numbers, or will it still be sequential like at the #2 event that I was at?

As long as someone didn't request the numbers before you, then you will be assigned one of your requested numbers.

I'll post a list later today with the numbers.

mcoupemindy
06-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Here's the list with numbers, as promised.

RedMS3
06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Woody,

The Mazdaspeed3 comes stock with Bridgestone Potenza RE-050As which are considered "Max Performance" by Tire Rack. They also apparently have a 140 treadwear rating...does this put me into XR with people that have R-comps?

If so, I guess I have to change classes.

bmw_matt
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Just FYI if it matters, the very first person; Emir, has a 2009 330ci listed....it's ...uh... kinda impossible :biggrin:

Just if you cared ;) and looking forward for the 11th, and it seems like a lot less people on this one than previous? Like half? Or will it get more people when the time gets closer?

irish44j
06-29-2009, 05:55 PM
The Mazdaspeed3 comes stock with Bridgestone Potenza RE-050As which are considered "Max Performance" by Tire Rack. They also apparently have a 140 treadwear rating...does this put me into XR with people that have R-comps?

If so, I guess I have to change classes.

yup.......but you'll also be in there with me, who doesn't have r-comps :mad:

irish44j
06-29-2009, 05:56 PM
As long as someone didn't request the numbers before you, then you will be assigned one of your requested numbers.

I'll post a list later today with the numbers.

thx....well at least I got the last 2 digits :)

RedMS3
06-29-2009, 06:39 PM
yup.......but you'll also be in there with me, who doesn't have r-comps :mad:

Can't say I'm happy. I have a set of wheels for my previous car that have Falken RT-615s and their treadwear is 200. They felt a lot stickier than the Potenza RE-050As that come stock on the Mazdaspeed3.

Just to throw a wrench in, I noticed this on the Boston Chapter BMWCCA:

"We use an empirically-derived performance-based points system for BMW cars. We follow SCCA rules for Non-BMW classes. Cars equipped with race tires (tread wear rating < 140) run in R-comp classes."

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/EventDescription/2009/autocross-rules.aspx

Anyway we can start a mutiny? :tongue:

RedMS3
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Can I, Fred Caton driving Mazdaspeed3, get reclassed to XR since my tread wear rating is 140?

Thanks.

AG
06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I have a set of wheels for my previous car that have Falken RT-615s and their treadwear is 200. They felt a lot stickier than the Potenza RE-050As that come stock on the Mazdaspeed3.

FYI, treadwear ratings are relative and only applicable to product lines from a given manufacturer and not across manufacturers.

RedMS3
06-29-2009, 08:04 PM
FYI, treadwear ratings are relative and only applicable to product lines from a given manufacturer and not across manufacturers.

That's what I was reading, too. Which leads to the question, is it possible for stickier tires to make their way into XS simply because of the tread wear rating cutoff?

irish44j
06-29-2009, 09:18 PM
That's what I was reading, too. Which leads to the question, is it possible for stickier tires to make their way into XS simply because of the tread wear rating cutoff?

sure....there are sticky tires with treadwear over 210. But over 210 treadwear, the tread blocks are usually taller and give more squirm.

That said, one can always take a 210+ treadwear tire and shave it. that's what I did with my Hankooks on a previous car...

irish44j
06-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Can't say I'm happy. I have a set of wheels for my previous car that have Falken RT-615s and their treadwear is 200. They felt a lot stickier than the Potenza RE-050As that come stock on the Mazdaspeed3.

Just to throw a wrench in, I noticed this on the Boston Chapter BMWCCA:

"We use an empirically-derived performance-based points system for BMW cars. We follow SCCA rules for Non-BMW classes. Cars equipped with race tires (tread wear rating < 140) run in R-comp classes."

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/EventDescription/2009/autocross-rules.aspx

Anyway we can start a mutiny? :tongue:

Well, there is plenty of SCCA/AI availability around here if you want those rules. I like running with NCC so I'll go by their rules. Or you could run CDC, where there is no classing at all and they use a system more like a golf handicap...

--

hell, i'm just surprised that the MS3 comes with RE050s....its more or less the same class/price range as my WRX (I know, I shopped between the two) which comes with longer-life SP Sport01s (still a UHP summer tire).

No wonder the MS3 always beats it in the road tests, it has better stock tires :wink:

RedMS3
06-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Well, there is plenty of SCCA/AI availability around here if you want those rules. I like running with NCC so I'll go by their rules. Or you could run CDC, where there is no classing at all and they use a system more like a golf handicap...

--

hell, i'm just surprised that the MS3 comes with RE050s....its more or less the same class/price range as my WRX (I know, I shopped between the two) which comes with longer-life SP Sport01s (still a UHP summer tire).

No wonder the MS3 always beats it in the road tests, it has better stock tires :wink:

True, just thought I'd point it out since it was another chapter :) I don't mind getting classed into XR. I'm curious as to whether the MX-5 that is current running XR is on stock tires or not, now.

Hey, we have to make up for the lack of AWD ;)

mcoupemindy
06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Please remember that we can revisit the classing system after the season is completed if there's a need to revise or if competitors feel something is "unfair". (We can't make changes mid-season.) We ask everyone to write down and/or save their suggestions, then present those suggestions during our annual autocross meeting. Our program is built and maintained by our members and everyone who shows up has a voice at the meeting.

So, in saying, I ask that, instead of bashing the current rules, you direct your efforts into a written plan to create a better ruleset. Then and only then will we be able to evaluate these suggestions at the annual meeting as a club.

Thanks for your understanding.

irish44j
06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
True, just thought I'd point it out since it was another chapter :) I don't mind getting classed into XR. I'm curious as to whether the MX-5 that is current running XR is on stock tires or not, now.

Hey, we have to make up for the lack of AWD ;)

AWD only really helps when it rains :biggrin:

And looking back at the last few events (albeit on wet course), the XR MX-5 doesn't look competitive...we'll see. I'm more worried about the s2000 and all the people who haven't signed up yet (the Cobras, vettes, etc).....

irish44j
06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Please remember that we can revisit the classing system after the season is completed if there's a need to revise or if competitors feel something is "unfair". (We can't make changes mid-season.) We ask everyone to write down and/or save their suggestions, then present those suggestions during our annual autocross meeting. Our program is built and maintained by our members and everyone who shows up has a voice at the meeting.

So, in saying, I ask that, instead of bashing the current rules, you direct your efforts into a written plan to create a better ruleset. Then and only then will we be able to evaluate these suggestions at the annual meeting as a club.

The tire rule.....It's a fine tradeoff to all the silliness that I have to deal with building to SCCA rules. Simple is better, always.

RedMS3
06-29-2009, 10:08 PM

It's only my first season autocrossing, but I hope the event you guys put on hasn't spoiled my future experiences with other groups as it has been great thus far and I look forward to the 11th.

I look to learn a lot and I apologize if my inquiries came off as bashing the rules.

mcoupemindy
06-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I look to learn a lot and I apologize if my inquiries came off as bashing the rules.

Consider my previous post a nudge to get more involved with our autocross program, nothing more. We're always looking for dedicated (and concerned) individuals to take our program to the next level. See me at the next event if you're interested in helping to advance our program.

Pete
06-30-2009, 09:10 AM
With regards to rules:

I think tire compound limitations/treadwear limitations are the least of your worries and quite frankly won't be an equalizer in X class. Keep in mind that X class is a catch-all class that in itself is not all that fair as there are no segments to delineate car models, level of modification etc... So even if you had tires to be eligible for XS you still have other issues like competing with cars that would not normally be grouped with you in other organizations let alone the level of modifications each car may or may not have.

As this is a BMW club the classing structure is designed for BMWs to have the maximum level of competition. The Autocrossing committee years ago set up the structure initially so that it allowed Non BMW owners to attend our events. As to whether this structure will change in the future, I cannot say as I am no longer the chairman but the future chairman (the person who takes over for Jonathan and Bogdan) can revisit it during their tenor.

With that being said, I wouldn't worry about X class being a measure of competitiveness as to the unlimited nature of modifications that X class allows. If you want to measure your performance curve, find someone you are relatively close to in times and see if you are closing the gap with them over the year.

I'm in X class now and I'm not too concerned about it as I don't run to be competitive but just to have fun. Initially, I never expected to be competitive in X as my car has it's engine in the wrong end, is on original suspension and is over 10 year old at this point. Are people closing the gap with me in my class as the season progresses? Sure, but that's a good thing. We are here to help people get faster and have fun. That's the main objective in our events is to enjoy the day, shoot the stuff with your buddies and have some fun zipping around cones.

ea-sport
06-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Just FYI if it matters, the very first person; Emir, has a 2009 330ci listed....it's ...uh... kinda impossible :biggrin:

That's me :biggrin:..I am sure I put 2001 when I signed up, or ....may be not, I signed up around mid-night so it's possible I mistyped :redface:. I saw that too but I just didn't want to bother Jonathan too much, I figured that I'd correct it when I register at the event.

ea-sport
06-30-2009, 09:19 AM

I saw Zach Pullins (#126) signed up, he is our chapter President isn't he?

mcoupemindy
06-30-2009, 09:30 AM
That's me :biggrin:..I am sure I put 2001 when I signed up, or ....may be not, I signed up around mid-night so it's possible I mistyped :redface:. I saw that too but I just didn't want to bother Jonathan too much, I figured that I'd correct it when I register at the event.

Corrected in the database and will be reflected with the next list.

It is much easier to correct before the event than at the event.

mcoupemindy
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I saw Zach Pullins (#126) signed up, he is our chapter President isn't he?

Correct. I believe that this is his first time autocrossing.

phenryiv1
06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Woody,

XR - Non-BMW's w/ no tire restrictions.Wow. When where did that crazy rule come from?
Maybe a little parody between rule sets for next year? :biggrin:

(It matters not to me. I run 210<* tires.)

phenryiv1
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Referencing a post that (for some reason) had to be approved by a moderator (maybe because I was using a multi-quote):

I had neglected to read the posts on page 4. I see that has already been discussed.

RedMS3
06-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Consider my previous post a nudge to get more involved with our autocross program, nothing more. We're always looking for dedicated (and concerned) individuals to take our program to the next level. See me at the next event if you're interested in helping to advance our program.

Hmm, I may have to take you up on that offer. I just have to make sure I don't get in too much trouble with the g/f...

Car54
06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Considering that you know everything, I assume that you're going to take over classing next year?

Obviously, knowing everything has nothing to do with classing. It's an art.

irish44j
06-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm in X class now and I'm not too concerned about it as I don't run to be competitive but just to have fun. Initially, I never expected to be competitive in X as my car has it's engine in the wrong end, is on original suspension and is over 10 year old at this point. .

yeah, your car is terrible. we should trade :biggrin:

bmw_matt
07-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Ha, I just thought to point it out, no worries.

BTW, Jonathan, or anyone else, on the subject on coilovers. Do they put you into Modified class? On the class web page it just says

Spring Changes Permitted Only w/ Stock Location Placement (Note: This Prohibits Rear Coilovers)

But what about front coilovers?

I bought some Ground Control coilover's and camber plates, and it says for other suspension free in the Tuner group so will I still be in the class of "Tuner" or does it bump me up to modified?
Thanks

mcoupemindy
07-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Ha, I just thought to point it out, no worries.

BTW, Jonathan, or anyone else, on the subject on coilovers. Do they put you into Modified class? On the class web page it just says

But what about front coilovers?

I bought some Ground Control coilover's and camber plates, and it says for other suspension free in the Tuner group so will I still be in the class of "Tuner" or does it bump me up to modified?
Thanks

The intention was to allow "tunerish" coilovers, such as GC, etc. Most street coilovers aren't true coilovers in the rear (meaning the spring actually doesn't coil around the shock/strut). Suspensions that use stock locations in the rear and coilovers in the front are permitted in Tuner.

bmw_matt
07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Sweet, thank you Jonathan :)

jbrannon7
07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
yeah, your car is terrible. we should trade :biggrin:

Bring your GT6. I owned 2 back in the day.

Joe

irish44j
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Bring your GT6. I owned 2 back in the day.

Joe

If I thought it was ready to drive all the way to Summit, I would....

I haven't worked out a few bugs yet so I don't trust it long-distance yet. That and it's hot as hell in the middle of the summer, as you I'm sure know! :biggrin:

KatieT
07-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I just have to make sure I don't get in too much trouble with the g/f...There's more and more gals coming out - either to watch or to drive. Bring her out with you. As you can see any objection that I had was completely run over :rolleyes:...although I do have to say that now I count down the days as much as Jonathan does.

~Katie

TopGear
07-02-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm signed up for the the PM session. I've never been to an ncc autocross before, and the website was a little unspecific about loaner helmets. Do I need to reserve/pay for one? thanks!

phenryiv1
07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm signed up for the the PM session. I've never been to an ncc autocross before, and the website was a little unspecific about loaner helmets. Do I need to reserve/pay for one? thanks!
Last time they were available at the event.

I went and bought one (HJC open-face Snell M2005) for $57. Sweaty heads sharing helmets? No thanks!

TopGear
07-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Sweaty heads sharing helmets? No thanks!

That's a pretty compelling reason to get your own! I was thinking about buying one, but it might not be delivered in time.

mcoupemindy
07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Last time they were available at the event.

I went and bought one (HJC open-face Snell M2005) for $57. Sweaty heads sharing helmets? No thanks!

Please PM me with where you're finding them for that $$$.

phenryiv1
07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
That's a pretty compelling reason to get your own! I was thinking about buying one, but it might not be delivered in time.
I bought mine at a local motorsports shop.

phenryiv1
07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Please PM me with where you're finding them for that $$$.
Send via PM, but I am willing to post in the thread as well.

mcoupemindy
07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Send via PM, but I am willing to post in the thread as well.

I've been looking for a place to negotiate a club discount with for low cost "starter" helmets for autocross as we have many newcomers. Thanks for the info and I'll post up more later.

irish44j
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM
OG Racing out in Sterling has some Bell Mag4's on closeout for like $140 or so. That's what I picked up so I can quit using my full-face sweatbox in the summer.

Scany
07-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Those of you buying open face helmets. Remember if you want to do the karting league in the winter time out by Allsports GP, you might want to consider a full face. Or be prepared to taste rubber (ask me how I know). I also benefit from my full face at HPDEs. Especially when the wind is strong from the side and a lot of dust gets kicked up. You dont want stuff in your eyes coming into the braking zone for turn 1 (or any turn for that matter). And then you also have the advertised reasons for getting a full face helmet..

Just my two cents after I ended up buying two helmets.

irish44j
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
open-face + bandanna + wiley-x ballistic glasses :)

95Maxrider
07-03-2009, 05:59 PM
open-face + bandanna + wiley-x ballistic glasses :)

postwhore......:wink:

phenryiv1
07-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Those of you buying open face helmets. Remember if you want to do the karting league in the winter time out by Allsports GP, you might want to consider a full face. Or be prepared to taste rubber (ask me how I know). I also benefit from my full face at HPDEs. Especially when the wind is strong from the side and a lot of dust gets kicked up. You dont want stuff in your eyes coming into the braking zone for turn 1 (or any turn for that matter). And then you also have the advertised reasons for getting a full face helmet..

Just my two cents after I ended up buying two helmets.
Agreed, but at the same time, for a n00bie, getting into a helmet for under $100 while they (and I) make sure that this is a hobby for them (as opposed to a whim) is a lot cheaper than ~$300 for an SA rated full-face. If I get 2 seasons in with this helmet, then I will spring for an SA full-face, and will have only "wasted" about $60. Not bad, IMO.

mcoupemindy
07-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Happy day after the 4th of July!

I've attached a current registration list to this post. As you see, we're really down on participants, so tell your friends to register!

irish44j
07-05-2009, 02:50 PM
clearly george bauer is tired of losing so he's not signed up in the M-donkey.

SamB325es
07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I won't be able to attend this one either, I will be at a wedding for my wife's cousin, at 11am, in Delaware...followed by a DRY reception. Soo...um...yeah.

Biggins would have beat me anyway. He owns the summit point slick track!

adam
07-05-2009, 07:31 PM
glenn is coming! oh dear

Jim Dunlap
07-05-2009, 07:54 PM
May I suggest that "down on participants" offers us a gift. Extra runs. Bump up the start time for the fun runs. Let's hurry though our "official 4" runs and then let the action begin. Drivers' meeting for the PM session will include getting commitments to stay on and help with the extra runs. INSIST that folks stay on to help with flagging and taking down the set, but the bottom line is: more runs for those of us that show up!!!

irish44j
07-05-2009, 09:26 PM
^^ definitely....5-6 runs for the PM session :)

mcoupemindy
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
May I suggest that "down on participants" offers us a gift. Extra runs. Bump up the start time for the fun runs. Let's hurry though our "official 4" runs and then let the action begin. Drivers' meeting for the PM session will include getting commitments to stay on and help with the extra runs. INSIST that folks stay on to help with flagging and taking down the set, but the bottom line is: more runs for those of us that show up!!!

Actually Jim, if we don't have enough participants the club loses money - losing money means less events.

Remember that fun runs are a LUXURY and not a given.

Car54
07-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Perhaps instead of calling them fun runs, we can call them "Autox Bailout Runs" and charge $1 a run, $5 a cone.

mcoupemindy
07-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Perhaps instead of calling them fun runs, we can call them "Autox Bailout Runs" and charge $1 a run, $5 a cone.

I can't afford $5 per cone. I'd be $100+ per run for me :frown:

phenryiv1
07-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Happy day after the 4th of July!

I've attached a current registration list to this post. As you see, we're really down on participants, so tell your friends to register!
How many attended the last Summit AutoX?

KatieT
07-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I can't afford $5 per cone. I'd be $100+ per run for me :frown:Ok...$2 a cone? That's actually not a bad idea...quite amusing from my perspective anyway. Not so sure about you guys though...

How many attended the last Summit AutoX?I think it was over 100...Bring more people!

~Katie

mcoupemindy
07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
How many attended the last Summit AutoX?

111 @<hidden> our first event, 92 @<hidden> the second.

We need 120+ to have enough course workers / instructors ...

Scany
07-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Let's all try to get the word out! This will be a great event with hopefully great weather. this facility is great for autocross, but like Jonathan said, we need people to come out and join the fun. A wedding, unless maybe your own, is not a good enough excuse Sam :) There's nothing wrong with looking like 007, wearing a suit, while autocrossing.

If we're lucky, Summit Point Karting will be open till 8pm and for those with more speed in them after autocross can try out their great facility and karts while being at Summit Point Motorsports Park.

jbrannon7
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
There is also an SCCA event at FedEx on sunday the 12th. I don't know if that is causing a lower turnout or not.

I will be attending both events.

Joe

pdebarr
07-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Friend and I use to have m3s and now we both have new cars. Non-bmws is cool as well right? just making sure i already checked the registered list so I am assuming obviously yes. And how can I figure out the class of my new car, will it be listed on the registration form?

mcoupemindy
07-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Friend and I use to have m3s and now we both have new cars. Non-bmws is cool as well right? just making sure i already checked the registered list so I am assuming obviously yes. And how can I figure out the class of my new car, will it be listed on the registration form?

Non-BMW's are fine!

XS class if you are on street tires, XR class if you are on comp tires.

pdebarr
07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Anyone interested in driving up together for the pm session from around the nova / dc area, could be fun? Leave saturday morning sometime.

Car54
07-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm in for karting, Woody too. Do you have details Anders?

For those thinking about having a "spirited" drive up there, just be warned that LEO presence is in full force around Rt7 and Rt340 these days.

mcoupemindy
07-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm in for karting, Woody too. Do you have details Anders?

For those thinking about having a "spirited" drive up there, just be warned that LEO presence is in full force around Rt7 and Rt340 these days.

I'm seeing if Jens can put something together for us that evening.

bogdan
07-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm seeing if Jens can put something together for us that evening.

FTW!!!!!

I would love to do that if it works out.

RedMS3
07-06-2009, 02:05 PM
If the next one isn't as profitable, is there a way to donate some money (e.g. double up entry fee's)? I would bring 2x entry fees if it'll help out.

Scany
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I was out there this weekend. It was a blast! I'm in for some karting afterwards.

Seems like Jonathan is in contact with Jens, so we'll see what they come up with.

mcoupemindy
07-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I was out there this weekend. It was a blast! I'm in for some karting afterwards.

Seems like Jonathan is in contact with Jens, so we'll see what they come up with.

Never mind ... the Karting program has asked us to not do a formal event. It's just gotta be arrive and drive.

irish44j
07-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Non-BMW's are fine!

XS class if you are on street tires, XR class if you are on comp tires.

clarification for his sake: XS if you are on street tires with treadwear over 210, XR class if you are on comp tires OR street tires under treadwear 210 (e.g. things like the RE01R and Star Specs)

irish44j
07-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Anyone interested in driving up together for the pm session from around the nova / dc area, could be fun? Leave saturday morning sometime.

I'll be leaving from Fairfax area probably aroud 9-10am if you want to roll with another non-BMW :) Let me know....good meetup spot would be Fair Oaks Mall or anyplace off Fairfax County Pkwy. (I go Pkwy--> Dulles Toll --> Greenway --> Rt7, etc....)

I will warn you though that I have a tendancy to cruise fairly chill to and from events, so if you're looking to haul ass you'd probably lose me fast :)

mdepena
07-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Can my son and I share the same car? I registered, but not sure how to properly get him registered.

mcoupemindy
07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Can my son and I share the same car? I registered, but not sure how to properly get him registered.

Yes, you can share the same car. You need to register him also. Please remind us on event day of your situation and we will accommodate.

mcoupemindy
07-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Updated registration list attached!

pdebarr
07-07-2009, 01:30 PM
We have three of us coming from Arlington, so we could meet off the toll road somewhere. Although we will probably be going quick.

irish44j
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll probably just roll solo then...it's not that I don't like to drive fast (i do), but nothing ruins an autocross day like getting a ticket on the way there....and I passed several well-hidden traps last time to summit, and on a sat. morning with light traffic it's easy pickings for the police on those roads ;P

irish44j
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
lol, there is an Acura RSX registered in T1 class :)

Guess he REALLY wants to run head-to-head with all the M guys..

bmw_matt
07-07-2009, 08:53 PM
lol, there is an Acura RSX registered in T1 class :)

Guess he REALLY wants to run head-to-head with all the M guys..
Or he thinks he can hang? :tongue:

irish44j
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Or he thinks he can hang? :tongue:

Hey, I can hang with almost all the M's...

if it rains

KatieT
07-07-2009, 09:37 PM
...if it rains..Did you look at the forecast yet? And I think that I fixed all the non-bimmers into the right classes.

~Katie

irish44j
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Did you look at the forecast yet? And I think that I fixed all the non-bimmers into the right classes.

~Katie

30% chance of isolated t-storms.....I'm not getting my hopes up :biggrin:

but I'll be fine with a nice day too :wink:

turbosporttsi
07-08-2009, 03:39 AM
How do you guys normally keep all your gear dry when it rains?

jbrannon7
07-08-2009, 07:14 AM

I usually bring a couple large trash bags to put stuff in.

Joe

Car54
07-08-2009, 07:46 AM
You could use a large tarp and make a "gear pita" and weigh it down with something. Also having a rubbermaid bin helps as well.

ventsyv
07-08-2009, 10:49 AM
How's the registration going ? Are there any spots left ? It's a 2 hour drive for me and I was planning to do repairs on Saturday, but if the parts do not arrive by then, I might just show up. Is that OK ?

mcoupemindy
07-08-2009, 11:01 AM
How's the registration going ? Are there any spots left ? It's a 2 hour drive for me and I was planning to do repairs on Saturday, but if the parts do not arrive by then, I might just show up. Is that OK ?

We ask that all participants register online so we can plan for event flow.

That being said, we can easily support 150 participants and at the current time we only have 105.

phenryiv1
07-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I have a subaru (as does Irish44j), and a few other guys from the Maxima world come out to these events. We have had a great time with the BMW guys.

phenryiv1
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Rubbermaid.

mcoupemindy
07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I have a subaru (as does Irish44j), and a few other guys from the Maxima world come out to these events. We have had a great time with the BMW guys.

One of my friends from work is coming out for his first autocross experience in his subie too ...

phenryiv1
07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
One of my friends from work is coming out for his first autocross experience in his subie too ...
I plan to try to get there early to help set up. What time will you guys post up out there?

mcoupemindy
07-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I plan to try to get there early to help set up. What time will you guys post up out there?

Early ...

Just keep tuned to this thread, and I'll put the early arrival time in it. Just gotta plan it out.

Biggins
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
If I finally remember, I'll have the tech inspection checklist sign for this event.

turbosporttsi
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
You could use a large tarp and make a "gear pita" and weigh it down with something. Also having a rubbermaid bin helps as well.

Rubbermaid.

Rubbermaid tote... great idea. I happen to have a few empties...

Same here. :) I'm dragging my WRX buddy with me.

mdepena
07-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Yes, you can share the same car. You need to register him also. Please remind us on event day of your situation and we will accommodate.

Thank you!

Motron
07-09-2009, 06:08 PM
My weekend plans just changed so now I am able to attend this event. However, since online registrations are now closed, I'll have to do walk-up registration. If anyone is keeping track of such things, I'll be driving a blue 135i and participating in S2 in the AM (though PM is also fine if that works better for some reason).

mcoupemindy
07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
My weekend plans just changed so now I am able to attend this event. However, since online registrations are now closed, I'll have to do walk-up registration. If anyone is keeping track of such things, I'll be driving a blue 135i and participating in S2 in the AM (though PM is also fine if that works better for some reason).

That's fine. Just plan for a few extra minutes to give the check-in person some additional time to gather your information.

darkfiber
07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I just signed up online. I didn't know registration was closed because I had no problem filling out the form and signing up. I guess I'll have to do it when I get there.

This will be my first autocross! Looking forward to learning the limits of my car :)

Zchild
07-10-2009, 07:04 AM
:confused: Is column J on the attached spreadsheet our Auto-X number? This is my first event and I didn't see any column headers on the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance.
:cool:

mcoupemindy
07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
:confused: Is column J on the attached spreadsheet our Auto-X number? This is my first event and I didn't see any column headers on the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance.
:cool:

That's correct.

phenryiv1
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone headed to this, be aware that I-81 in WV and VA is undergoing a targeted enforcement period for speeding/aggressive driving. I drive the road every day, and have for 4+ years, and I saw cops today in places whgere I had always thought that they might camp out, btu they never do. I maintain 7-9 over but still keep my eyes out, and I was glad that I did.

Just be mindful. Also, Route 7 is always well-covered, for you NoVA folks.

phenryiv1
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Here's the final registration list with number assignments.
I am line 49 (#233), but I had emailed you and requested a move to the AM session. It is too late to make that change? I have family stuff in the afternoon.

Also, I still want to try to come help set up. What is "early?"

mcoupemindy
07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I am line 49 (#233), but I had emailed you and requested a move to the AM session. It is too late to make that change? I have family stuff in the afternoon.

Also, I still want to try to come help set up. What is "early?"

Just show up for the AM session. It's no problem.

mcoupemindy
07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
If you plan on coming early to assist us in setting up, we ask that you arrive NO EARLIER THAN 7:30 AM.

Thanks! (and see you tomorrow)

gbauer
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Who's bringin' the donuts tomorrow?

fitchesbass
07-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey guys -

Sorry for the late registration request... but if I can still get in, I would like to register for tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I could make it since my BMW is in for inspection 1.

Registration info:
Name: Derek Moor
CCA Member # 413851
Car: 1984 Porsche 911 coupe
Afternoon session (please! :) )

Thanks and apologies again for not registering in advance!

-Derek

KatieT
07-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Who's bringin' the donuts tomorrow?Aww...great idea...thanks! Chocolate icing with sprinkles are my favorite. :wink:

~Katie

mcoupemindy
07-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey guys -

Sorry for the late registration request... but if I can still get in, I would like to register for tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I could make it since my BMW is in for inspection 1. Anyway, my father kindly let me borrow his car for the month so I can make it out there in that.

Registration info:
Name: Derek Moor
CCA Member # 413851
Car: 1984 Porsche 911 coupe
Afternoon session (please! :) )

Thanks and apologies again for my lack registering enough in advance!

-Derek

Derek,

No problem. Just provide this information to the person running check-in.

Thanks!

irish44j
07-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Who's bringin' the donuts tomorrow?

isn't that one of the duties of an alderman?

ea-sport
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
I went to the first event but I forgot how to get there. I swear that I've seen a driving direction posted online but I couldn't find it. Anybody can share some tips/shortcuts to get there? My Garmin couldn't find the address :mad:..

woodym3
07-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't know if Garmin will recognize this street address:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?view=venueevents&id=25%3Asummit-point-jefferson-circuit&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=129

jhm5
07-10-2009, 08:32 PM
remember maps?
http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/pages/directions.swf

mcoupemindy
07-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I went to the first event but I forgot how to get there. I swear that I've seen a driving direction posted online but I couldn't find it. Anybody can share some tips/shortcuts to get there? My Garmin couldn't find the address :mad:..

Garmin will find "Summit Point Motorsports Park".

Or use google.

darkfiber
07-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Garmin will find "Summit Point Motorsports Park".

Or use google.

Google says 201 Motorsports Park Circle is in someone's back yard about 2 miles from the raceway.

mcoupemindy
07-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Google says 201 Motorsports Park Circle is in someone's back yard about 2 miles from the raceway.

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/ - Click directions.

bmw_matt
07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Just follow the signs around town :icon_wave

phenryiv1
07-11-2009, 04:02 PM
First to post and say that his was another great event!

jbrannon7
07-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Here are some videos, first vid is runs 1 thru 4 and the second is run 5. Don't know why the first video stops where it does.

This course was slicker than snot on a doorknob. Couldn't accelerate, brake or turn. Even as slow as I was going some places I would just slide straight along. You can see how dirty the course was for those of us in the first heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDZ30zE9B4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARbYDbt6dyo

Joe

GaryG
07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Great event indeed. Had a blast, see everyone at the next one.

irish44j
07-11-2009, 06:59 PM
ugh...that was the longest afternoon session in the history of autocross. I just got home 15 minutes ago and only live about an hour from the track :P

you morning guys missed out on driving through the swimming pool for the first 50 feet of the course in the aftenoon :)

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:01 PM
This course was slicker than snot on a doorknob. Couldn't accelerate, brake or turn. Even as slow as I was going some places I would just slide straight along.

if you thought that was slick, you should have stayed for the afternoon :eek:

RedMS3
07-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Here are some videos, first vid is runs 1 thru 4 and the second is run 5. Don't know why the first video stops where it does.

This course was slicker than snot on a doorknob. Couldn't accelerate, brake or turn. Even as slow as I was going some places I would just slide straight along. You can see how dirty the course was for those of us in the first heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDZ30zE9B4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARbYDbt6dyo

Joe

What's this? No water? That's not the course I drove! haha...

As a side note...it seems that I may have contributed to littering. A friend of mine left a water bottle in my car during the rain and I noticed it in the paddock. I tossed it in the grass and forgot to get it when I was finished. As penance, I pledge to pick up at least two items of trash at the next event.

gbauer
07-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Great! We morning people FINALLY got the advantage!

Pics of said lake? With the drainage they put in it couldn't have been that bad. I bet you guys are just whiners.

BTW: it looked like it was going to rain in Frederick but never did. Dry as a bone. I really think you guys are lying about this whole rain thing just to come up with an excuse for slow times.

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:11 PM

Pics of said lake? With the drainage they put in it couldn't have been that bad. I bet you guys are just whiners.

BTW: it looked like it was going to rain in Frederick but never did. Dry as a bone. I really think you guys are lying about this whole rain thing just to come up with an excuse for slow times.

The rest of the course drained pretty well, but immediately from the start to the 2nd gate it was a lake...ala event #2. I mean, i don't care personally, but I saw alot of spinning drive wheels at start :)

No pics of it here...I was working/driving and didn't think to take any, but I'm sure someone did. there was a guy out there with a nice camera taking pics of the entire afternoon..

George, it will be even funnier when my time in the rain beats your time dry :wink:

RedMS3
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM

It was only really the start and the finish. The start was wet and there was a large puddle that extended through the first 2 or 3 gates. The finish was completely under water and several people spun out or understeered and plowed finish line cones. Other than those two trouble spots, the track wasn't too bad. The rain may have washed off some of the dirt you guys had to deal with in the AM.

I'm sure others will post some pictures and/or videos of the PM session. I think the 1st heat got in 2 runs before the intense rain storm hit...should have heard some of the lightning out there.

gbauer
07-11-2009, 07:20 PM
The rest of the course drained pretty well, but immediately from the start to the 2nd gate it was a lake...ala event #2. I mean, i don't care personally, but I saw alot of spinning drive wheels at start :)

No pics of it here...I was working/driving and didn't think to take any, but I'm sure someone did. there was a guy out there with a nice camera taking pics of the entire afternoon..

George, it will be even funnier when my time in the rain beats your time dry :wink:
What was your best time then?

61.345 here

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Here are a few of the pics I took....didn't take very many.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox003.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox004.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox005.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox006.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox008.jpg

gbauer
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I think the 1st heat got in 2 runs before the intense rain storm hit...should have heard some of the lightning out there.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue:

Yep. That sums it up for me. :)

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox009.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox010.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox012.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox013.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox014.jpg

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:22 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox015.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox018.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox019.jpg

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:24 PM
What was your best time then?

61.345 here

don't know...the timing display sign wan't out after the storm (wonder if it broke) and times weren't being announced. I don't think anyone from the 4th heat knows their times. So I'll let you know as soon as they're posted.

Nick and Jason both beat you, do know that.

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:25 PM
george, here's some water for you..

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox016.jpg

gbauer
07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
george, here's some water for you..

That's nothing. The rest of the track is dry for crying out loud! No excuses there. :rolleyes:

gbauer
07-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Jason won't even drive his own car. If I drove other people's prepped cars, I'd put down better times too!

BTW: my suspension is 115,000 miles of 100% stock. :frown:

mdepena
07-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Great event. Thanks to all who worked so hard to put it together!

My son and I had a great time. He was smiling from ear to ear. He did great for a 17yr old. Better to learn to drive like this in a controlled environment.

We're looking forward to the next event.

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Jason won't even drive his own car. If I drove other people's prepped cars, I'd put down better times too!

BTW: my suspension is 115,000 miles of 100% stock. :frown:

1. wait, are you making excuses before even seeing the times?
2. whose fault is that that you don't maintain your car?
3. upgrading power but not suspension = fail
4. pretty sure an M Roadster suspension with 115,000 miles is still quite a ways superior to a stock Subaru suspension with 10,000 miles. Seriously.

And uh.......Pat's car isn't "prepped"...it's a 170hp, non-turbo legacy...bone stock except the wheels and on street tires. My 4Runner would beat it in a drag race.

Maybe it's time you trade the M in for something more to suit your driving speed...(no offense to its owner, looked like it was fun!)

(now really hoping my times were better than yours)

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox007.jpg

TopGear
07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
That's nothing. The rest of the track is dry for crying out loud! No excuses there. :rolleyes:
That was the 4th heat.. the third heat was SOAKED, and my dry runs were lost due to botched timing (one run), and botched driving (the other)... I didn't get a single timed lap in the dry! #*$%&... what a day.

A lot of people "disappeared" from the 3rd heat, and not many were left for working the course during the 4th heat. Thanks guys...

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
^^ THAT.

And yeah, after the 3rd heat workers had to stand out there FOREVER and get soaked too...then half the 4th heat workers just bailed and rolled out. Even the ones who finished their runs after the rain. Thanks guys.

gbauer
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
1. wait, are you making excuses before even seeing the times?
2. whose fault is that that you don't maintain your car?
3. upgrading power but not suspension = fail
4. pretty sure an M Roadster suspension with 115,000 miles is still quite a ways superior to a stock Subaru suspension with 10,000 miles. Seriously.

1. Yes. :biggrin:
2. Obama and Bush. Damn economy! :mad:
3. What I did was either very cheap or free. :tongue:
4. Probably. :cool:

irish44j
07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
don't make me bust out umbrella pictures. btw, could have used your umbrella today.

BTW, the umbrella propped up on my gear to try to keep it dry apparently decided to blow away while I was drivign and was nowhere to be found when I went to pack up. So if someone found a black umbrella with a gold logo (Newport News Shipbuilding)....well, actually you can just have it unless I see you at another event :/

RedMS3
07-11-2009, 07:55 PM
don't make me bust out umbrella pictures. btw, could have used your umbrella today.

BTW, the umbrella propped up on my gear to try to keep it dry apparently decided to blow away while I was drivign and was nowhere to be found when I went to pack up. So if someone found a black umbrella with a gold logo (Newport News Shipbuilding)....well, actually you can just have it unless I see you at another event :/

That sucks...I actually saw a black one in the middle of the paddock lane just before the rain hit as I was rolling up my windows...I think another bimmer driver picked it up. I'll PM you.

Anyways...I was lucky enough to find a tick near my near when I got home. I was wearing pants!

TopGear
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Does anybody have photos from the third heat? I was driving the yellow S2000, and would love to have a picture or two from the event!

irish44j
07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Does anybody have photos from the third heat? I was driving the yellow S2000, and would love to have a picture or two from the event!

unfortunately I ws working the course when you were running. I only managd to sneak one pic while working :rolleyes:.

I think there was a "real" photographer-type there taking pics of everyone though. At least it looked like it, so I would just check back in a day or two and see if anyone has an album posted up.

gbauer
07-11-2009, 08:09 PM
unfortunately I ws working the course when you were running. I only managd to sneak one pic while working :rolleyes:.

I think there was a "real" photographer-type there taking pics of everyone though. At least it looked like it, so I would just check back in a day or two and see if anyone has an album posted up.
Katie and Mark will have them up. Both have uber-cameras and take a ton of pics.

KatieT
07-11-2009, 08:09 PM
ugh...that was the longest afternoon session in the history of autocross. I just got home 15 minutes ago and only live about an hour from the track :P:)No way...I win. I got home around 8:15 and it only took me an hour to get home. There were still guys there when I left but they were going to head down to karting.

It was an interesting downpour...and some serious lightning for a few minutes. There was one exceedingly close one that sent me running for the Sequoia (rather than standing under a metal frame tent). I did manage to get pics in the afternoon after the rain...think I got everyone that stayed but I'm not going to guarantee it. I'll probably have them up tomorrow.

The display wasn't up for the afternoon for the most part because it doesn't get along with water. Right before the downpour we put it away and then didn't get it back out in case of more rain. Same thing with the mic. So who's going to come up with the t-shirt design saying "I survived Lake Summit"?

~Katie

KatieT
07-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Does anybody have photos from the third heat? I was driving the yellow S2000, and would love to have a picture or two from the event!I tdo...I'm pretty sure I got one of you.

Katie and Mark will have them up. Both have uber-cameras and take a ton of pics.Hehe...uber-cameras...that's funny...

~Katie

irish44j
07-11-2009, 08:17 PM
No way...I win. I got home around 8:15 and it only took me an hour to get home. There were still guys there when I left but they were going to head down to karting.

It was an interesting downpour...and some serious lightning for a few minutes. There was one exceedingly close one that sent me running for the Sequoia (rather than standing under a metal frame tent). I did manage to get pics in the afternoon after the rain...think I got everyone that stayed but I'm not going to guarantee it. I'll probably have them up tomorrow.

The display wasn't up for the afternoon for the most part because it doesn't get along with water. Right before the downpour we put it away and then didn't get it back out in case of more rain. Same thing with the mic. So who's going to come up with the t-shirt design saying "I survived Lake Summit"?

~Katie

lol...that close bolt scared the crap out of me...I was about 10 feet from getting to my car in the middle of the lot when it hit.

irish44j
07-11-2009, 08:20 PM
removed by gbauer. You know why...

RedMS3
07-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I got a quick question about the ride-along:

How do they work? Does the person riding along sit and observe for the first run and then suggests changes or do they make comments while driving? Just wondering because I am interested in having one at the next event :)

TopGear
07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I tdo...I'm pretty sure I got one of you.

woo hoo! :biggrin: thanks.

irish44j
07-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I got a quick question about the ride-along:

How do they work? Does the person riding along sit and observe for the first run and then suggests changes or do they make comments while driving? Just wondering because I am interested in having one at the next event :)

depends on the rider. When I ride along with people, I try not to talk during the run except for a few short, key comments. And I hold my hand up where the driver can see it peripherally to direct left or right turns coming up if he's having trouble reading the course.

I've seen some guys who just ride and comment afterwards, and others who talk you through ever turn. Just depends on who you get :)

RedMS3
07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
depends on the rider. When I ride along with people, I try not to talk during the run except for a few short, key comments. And I hold my hand up where the driver can see it peripherally to direct left or right turns coming up if he's having trouble reading the course.

I've seen some guys who just ride and comment afterwards, and others who talk you through ever turn. Just depends on who you get :)

Hmm, sounds pretty interesting. I feel I have a lot to gain by having someone with more experience ride along. Sort of wanted to today, but the rush made it go to the back of my mind.

mcoupemindy
07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks everyone for coming out to today's event.

Also, a big thanks to the entire autocross committee. You guys make it possible for us to have these events.

It will take a bit of time to get the results ready. Hopefully I'll be able to crunch by tomorrow afternoon.

And sorry about the rain / thunder / lightning - you can blame Bogdan for it.

gbauer
07-11-2009, 09:01 PM
In that case, I'm glad Bogdan was late. he kept the damage limited to the afternoon....

noelleslie
07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Hmm, sounds pretty interesting. I feel I have a lot to gain by having someone with more experience ride along. Sort of wanted to today, but the rush made it go to the back of my mind.

My car is open to anyone who wants to observe on runs 1 and 2. If nothing else, the extra views of the course at speed can help.

Videos of today will be up on YouTube a little later.

teamsimple
07-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for posting the pics of the smart car. I took alot of hi deff pics from session one. Email mike@<hidden> if you want me to send um. Anybody got results.
Thanks

RedMS3
07-11-2009, 09:36 PM
My car is open to anyone who wants to observe on runs 1 and 2. If nothing else, the extra views of the course at speed can help.

Videos of today will be up on YouTube a little later.

Definitely interested. I've watched your videos a few times and I appreciate it when you put them up. Do you know which session you are running at the next event? Next event is in Sykesville, if that has any bearing on your decision for which session to run.

mcoupemindy
07-11-2009, 09:53 PM
After completion of a really long day of autocross, I have preliminary results posted.

Please visit: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168

I'm sure a few changes will need made, so please don't hesitate to let me know.

RedMS3
07-11-2009, 09:57 PM
After completion of a really long day of autocross, I have preliminary results posted.

Please visit: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168

My time...wow.

Zcruizer
07-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey Jonathan, not a real big deal, but I think the Toyota should be taken out of the S1 class. :icon_blin

AG
07-11-2009, 10:13 PM

There's a Toyota MR2 in S1 (also in X-class with the same name, but different number) , Ford Mustang in S2, Pontiac GTO in T3, and a BMW 325i in XR.

mcoupemindy
07-11-2009, 10:14 PM
There's a Toyota MR2 in S1 (also in X-class with the same name, but different number) , Ford Mustang in S2, Pontiac GTO in T3, and a BMW 325i in XR.

I'll get these fixed with the next revision. Thanks!

Zcruizer
07-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh please fix the S1 first. My red roadster may never see 1st place again with me driving it so I want to eat it up. :biggrin: yee-ha

mscire2
07-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Jonathan you haz emailzzzzzzzzz

agreatham
07-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Here are the videos I took today. The camera mount was securely bolted to the center child seat anchor. Didn't we use to have a dedicated autocross 2009 picture and video thread? I can't seem to find it.

Run #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE87rcu98Ok)
Run #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591DkmzilHk)
Run #3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsJ6NMqmao)
Run #4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcZ2I5qC1s)

Any tips on how to improve my time would be appreciated.

noelleslie
07-12-2009, 07:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTXb414rL4

Gotta love wife's expressions during the second run :)

Biggins
07-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the time and effort yesterday Jonathan! I know we seemed short-staffed and things seemed to go well despite the dust, rain, etc. I'm sure everyone appreciates the quick turnaround on posting results too; I remember a time when it took 2-3 weeks for results.

...and go 318 power! I just wish I would have had 4 dry runs.

irish44j
07-12-2009, 09:01 AM
My time...wow.

whoa! Did you really knock 2 full seconds off on your final run???? That is a wicked time...

SamB325es
07-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I told you Biggins owned the slick track.

Linh
07-12-2009, 09:39 AM
woot, thanks jonathan, you upgraded my 2005 mazda 3 to a 2009! =)

and a couple of random pics.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/3710647487_ab844692ee.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/3711461956_c33c0d447d.jpg?v=0

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 09:47 AM
whoa! Did you really knock 2 full seconds off on your final run???? That is a wicked time...

Yeah...my third run was pretty bad at the start. I spun the wheels horribly, redlined first gear, ground second, and almost understeered out of the 2nd gate. I fixed all of the on the last run and it showed.

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 09:49 AM

haha, great picture of one of the final gates.

CWestinRSX
07-12-2009, 10:13 AM
had a great time with you all. i was the guy with the black acura rsx. does anyone have pictures of the entire event?

CWestinRSX
07-12-2009, 10:20 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/3710647487_ab844692ee.jpg?v=0

yeah it was definitely a challenge with that puddle.

CWestinRSX
07-12-2009, 10:37 AM
and i never knew my car could drift!! lol

BradMW
07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Here is a list of reasons you should remove the +1 on my last run:

1) I will give you upwards of $12.
2) I don't remember hitting it, therefore it never happened (I also use this as defense in paternity suits)
3) I bet my friend his Porsche that I could beat his new S5 and I would have without this cone that never actually happened anyway... and that car has Quattro, an unfair advantage
4) Automatic non-M convertible with nothing but tires, come on, I need love

irish44j
07-12-2009, 11:38 AM
yeah it was definitely a challenge with that puddle.

I quite enjoyed it. But I was behind you during one of your starts and watched you spin tire for about 20 feet, so I can see why you didn't like it :biggrin:

Linh
07-12-2009, 12:55 PM
haha, great picture of one of the final gates.
actually, that's the first gate =)

don't know...the timing display sign wan't out after the storm (wonder if it broke) and times weren't being announced. I don't think anyone from the 4th heat knows their times. So I'll let you know as soon as they're posted.

took it down because didn't want to see it die. that and we were all standing in a pool of electronics, so didn't really want to plug anything we didn't absolutely need and didn't want to fry the amp/us.

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 01:03 PM
actually, that's the first gate =)

haha, you're right! Man, I remember seeing the S5 roll through the first gate and it didn't even look like he hit the cone to knock it over, a tidal wave took it out.

bmw_matt
07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
LOL. How the hell did my times get decent. Tthe entire time was a drift session for me. My tires sucked so bad I couldn't get any traction so I Just tried to push it to the max and see if I could control it. I'm surprised I didn't hit any cones the first 2 times. The last time was just me shifting from 2-1 to try and spin it. Fun times. Karting was a blast afterwards too

turbosporttsi
07-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I hear ya about the the drift session! I was sliding almost the entire back half of the course.

adg44
07-12-2009, 02:55 PM
haha, you're right! Man, I remember seeing the S5 roll through the first gate and it didn't even look like he hit the cone to knock it over, a tidal wave took it out.

Ah ha, so that is why two of my runs have +1 next to them. I know I didn't hit any cones, so the tidal wave from when I launched moved the cones at the starting gate? My last run shows 134 seconds, and I know that isn't correct!

I'm happy with 58.8 seconds though and 4th place. I will say that I thought Audi Drive Select was a waste of money, but putting it in Dynamic and seeing a 4,000 pound car have that kind of agility is just amazing.

If anyone has some photos of the S5 running the course that I could use for publication, please let me know. I will be sure to give you credit for the photos.

And Brad, the 911 is staying my 911 (not yours!) since I was two seconds faster than you. ;)

- Anthony

teamsimple
07-12-2009, 03:41 PM
can i bring a sifter kart.. did that about 5 years ago to a pca autocross and beat a 135 gt2 set up for autocross by about 20 seconds. smart car (wife first time) me caymans (first time in that car) mike

BradMW
07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Ah ha, so that is why two of my runs have +1 next to them. I know I didn't hit any cones, so the tidal wave from when I launched moved the cones at the starting gate? My last run shows 134 seconds, and I know that isn't correct!

I'm happy with 58.8 seconds though and 4th place. I will say that I thought Audi Drive Select was a waste of money, but putting it in Dynamic and seeing a 4,000 pound car have that kind of agility is just amazing.

If anyone has some photos of the S5 running the course that I could use for publication, please let me know. I will be sure to give you credit for the photos.

And Brad, the 911 is staying my 911 (not yours!) since I was two seconds faster than you. ;)

- Anthony

I'm still the better driver.

irish44j
07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
can i bring a sifter kart.. did that about 5 years ago to a pca autocross and beat a 135 gt2 set up for autocross by about 20 seconds. smart car (wife first time) me caymans (first time in that car) mike

I wish you had.Would have been funny watching you try to go through that puddle at the start line :)

Scany
07-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks to everyone coming out to the event! Hope all of you had a good time despite changing conditions and some electrical charges in the air.

Here's a little video of the puddle at the first gate from the PM session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qqkpz5xGjg

Jonathan: if you could, I should be in M4 since I didn't bring the E36 after all.

mcoupemindy
07-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Here is a list of reasons you should remove the +1 on my last run:

1) I will give you upwards of $12.
2) I don't remember hitting it, therefore it never happened (I also use this as defense in paternity suits)
3) I bet my friend his Porsche that I could beat his new S5 and I would have without this cone that never actually happened anyway... and that car has Quattro, an unfair advantage
4) Automatic non-M convertible with nothing but tires, come on, I need love

Sorry ... it's going to cost more than $12. Put a zero behind it and maybe we can talk. It was a valid cone call.

LOL. How the hell did my times get decent. Tthe entire time was a drift session for me. My tires sucked so bad I couldn't get any traction so I Just tried to push it to the max and see if I could control it. I'm surprised I didn't hit any cones the first 2 times. The last time was just me shifting from 2-1 to try and spin it. Fun times. Karting was a blast afterwards too

HA HA HA HA HA!

Our events are not set up for shifter karts currently. I have to see if our insurance even allows it.

irish44j
07-12-2009, 06:46 PM
just was washing out my wheel wells on the right side that were caked with mud from that last right-hander before the left to the finish. I guess I was taking a pretty aggressive line :)

hoping like hell someone has a photo someplace of me taking that turn, since it was in prime photo spot!

irish44j
07-12-2009, 07:28 PM
removed by gbauer. You know why...

actually I don't...you don't like umbrellas? If it's something about your plates being visible...uh, well it is in your signature too.

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
... I know I didn't hit any cones, so the tidal wave from when I launched moved the cones at the starting gate?...

- Anthony

Actually, I was referring to the first gate after the starting gate. Your car was closer to the left cone than others I saw, but I'm not sure why the cone was knocked over during your runs as I didn't actually see your tire hit the cone. I was at the line after you went on one of your runs and to me, it looked like the cone just flopped over as you passed it. I could be wrong, though ;)

BTW, awesome car.

vI6ious
07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
was a good show until the rain rolled in. All the crap I had in my car that I left laying on the ground got soaked. Uh duh, why'd I bring all that? Rolled out after two runs.

ps first post...

woodym3
07-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Jonathan and all,
At the SCCA AX today at FedEx Field it was really nice having so many people congratulating me on taking FTD Saturday. It's the first time in a long time. Unfortunately, that is not the correct result. The 56.190 was on my second run when I missed a gate, and should have been called "off-course". It happened on that middle road through the middle skidpad. There were 3 gates in succession and they could almost be taken in a constant arc to set up for the left turn at the end. My arc was a little too tight and I was looking a little too far ahead. The result was I missed that third gate. I can even prove it with my in-car video.

And what's with the Toyota in Showroom 1 and Mustang in Showroom 2?

Anyway, great job with the event under trying circumstances! And thanks for getting the results posted so quick. I'm hoping everyone will have a chance to read the results BEFORE you make the correction.

btw, Noel Leslie, Joe Brannon, and Clint Boyd all beat me at the SCCA event today.
Woody

Linh
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
E-P1 guy? heh, I missed when you left, wanted to take a look at that camera, ha. posting the pics/video from it anytime?

bmwmdriver89
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
does anyone know yet if the times and some pics have been posted up yet for the autocross if so where can i find them.

irish44j
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
look back a few pages, a link to the results is posted.

Aside from the few pics I posted, i haven't seen any others put up yet.

phenryiv1
07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
If I drove other people's prepped cars, I'd put down better times too!
I would not call 300 treadwear street tires on 7.5" rims and stock Legacy GT struts with Tein H-Tech springs (on the front only) on an otherwise bone-stock car as "prepped."

Particularly when (as Josh mentioned) it is almost 3300 lb. and pushed by only 170 rated HP.

But it is still a blast to drive!

:biggrin:

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Looking back at my previous posts since the even concluded, I noticed that I missed something...

Thanks to the organizers for putting another fun event. It was an interesting time with the weather, but I had a lot of fun again.

irish44j
07-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Jonathan and all,
At the SCCA AX today at FedEx Field it was really nice having so many people congratulating me on taking FTD Saturday. It's the first time in a long time. Unfortunately, that is not the correct result. The 56.190 was on my second run when I missed a gate, and should have been called "off-course". It happened on that middle road through the middle skidpad. There were 3 gates in succession and they could almost be taken in a constant arc to set up for the left turn at the end. My arc was a little too tight and I was looking a little too far ahead. The result was I missed that third gate. I can even prove it with my in-car video.

Anyway, great job with the event under trying circumstances! And thanks for getting the results posted so quick. I'm hoping everyone will have a chance to read the results BEFORE you make the correction.

btw, Noel Leslie, Joe Brannon, and Clint Boyd all beat me at the SCCA event today.
Woody

Woody, that's cool of you to call yourself out like that. I was actually working near that gate at the time and thought I remembered a blue M coupe missing it (there were only 2 people that cleanly missed gates there while I was working). I did radio it in after the guys without the radio nearer to the gate signaled, but there was some funky stuff going on with my radio and no idea if anyone heard it. When I saw you had FTD in a blue M coupe I glanced at your times and didn't see a DNF there, but didn't really think it was my place to call you out or "report" it since I wasn't 100% sure if it was you or not.

+1 for honesty.

BradMW
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Rolled out after two runs.

It was a pleasure working for you.

irish44j
07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Looking back at my previous posts since the even concluded, I noticed that I missed something...

Thanks to the organizers for putting another fun event. It was an interesting time with the weather, but I had a lot of fun again.

damn, I was hoping you were gonna say you missed a gate and that's how you knocked 2 seconds off your time and beat me :biggrin:

I did get a pic of your car though....

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/Summit%20NCC%20Autocrosss%2011Jul09/summitautox013.jpg

irish44j
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I would not call 300 treadwear street tires on 7.5" rims and stock Legacy GT struts with Tein H-Tech springs (on the front only) on an otherwise bone-stock car as "prepped."

Particularly when (as Josh mentioned) it is almost 3300 lb. and pushed by only 170 rated HP.

But it is still a blast to drive!

:biggrin:

hey, you know those front H-techs really put it SEVERAL levels above an M Coupe in the performance category....I mean, it's almost not a fair fight at all :eek:

vI6ious
07-12-2009, 09:32 PM
It was a pleasure working for you.

thank you for that vote of confidence...

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
damn, I was hoping you were gonna say you missed a gate and that's how you knocked 2 seconds off your time and beat me :biggrin:

I did get a pic of your car though....

hahaha, sorry to disappoint. When I saw the time, I thought something was wrong. But when I looked at my 3rd run's time, it made sense. I got a little worried on my last run because there was a little dip or something in the track near your station. I was carrying a lot of speed through the chicago-box/sweeper and got a little bumpsteer (at least it felt that way). Thought I was going to go straight into the last of the three straight gates, but thankfully my car regained grip.

Thanks for the pic of my car, although I'm sitting there texting, lol.

irish44j
07-12-2009, 09:49 PM
hahaha, sorry to disappoint. When I saw the time, I thought something was wrong. But when I looked at my 3rd run's time, it made sense. I got a little worried on my last run because there was a little dip or something in the track near your station. I was carrying a lot of speed through the chicago-box/sweeper and got a little bumpsteer (at least it felt that way). Thought I was going to go straight into the last of the three straight gates, but thankfully my car regained grip.

Thanks for the pic of my car, although I'm sitting there texting, lol.

That dip was actually a slick spot for everyone, it was where the new drain line had been paved over and it collected alot of water in it. I slipped sideways on it every time. By my 3rd/4th runs I had actually figured out how to hit it and time the throttle correctly to help throw the tail to the right and set me up for the left-hander better, so it was actually agood thing once I got used to it :)

On a non-related note, I thought you had switched to XR due to the RE050s you were running (aren't those like 150 treadwear?)....not that I care, since if you move to XR that puts you ahead of me for 1st place in class :P

iamsam
07-12-2009, 09:56 PM

My friend Nick LaBrant who came with me to the event used my camera and took over 870 pics of the entire PM session. Nick and I still have to go through them and watermark them, sort them, delete bad ones etc and we will upload them and post the link in this thread. I would say he got pics of everyone's car, and pretty good ones at that.

We have a-plenty o' pics of your S2000!! and some good ones of you putting up some sheets of water coming through the finish line!

had a great time with you all. i was the guy with the black acura rsx. does anyone have pictures of the entire event?

the entire PM event. You were in the PM session, right?

Do have many photos of your SWEET S5. The photographer (Nick) is quite the Audi fan.

hoping like hell someone has a photo someplace of me taking that turn, since it was in prime photo spot!

We got pics! will upload in the next few days! stay tuned!

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
That dip was actually a slick spot for everyone, it was where the new drain line had been paved over and it collected alot of water in it. I slipped sideways on it every time. By my 3rd/4th runs I had actually figured out how to hit it and time the throttle correctly to help throw the tail to the right and set me up for the left-hander better, so it was actually agood thing once I got used to it :)

On a non-related note, I thought you had switched to XR due to the RE050s you were running (aren't those like 150 treadwear?)....not that I care, since if you move to XR that puts you ahead of me for 1st place in class :P

Ah, so that's what that was! I only remember hitting it on my last run because I was more timid with speed with the other runs at that point and my line through that section wasn't utilizing the width of the lane.

I had requested to be moved, but it looks like it didn't happen before the event. I'm registering XR for the next event due to the treadwear rating on my tires (140 for RE05A).

iamsam
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Whoever drives that super loud grey RX-8 that backfires continuously, Nick took an EPIC shot with the flames coming from your tailpipes full blast and reflected in the water you were driving through.

just a teaser ;)

irish44j
07-12-2009, 10:02 PM
My friend Nick LaBrant who came with me to the event used my camera and took over 870 pics of the entire PM session. Nick and I still have to go through them and watermark them, sort them, delete bad ones etc and we will upload them and post the link in this thread. I would say he got pics of everyone's car, and pretty good ones at that.

We have a-plenty o' pics of your S2000!! and some good ones of you putting up some sheets of water coming through the finish line!

the entire PM event. You were in the PM session, right?

Do have many photos of your SWEET S5. The photographer (Nick) is quite the Audi fan.

We got pics! will upload in the next few days! stay tuned!

excellent, can't wait! I saw your buddy pointing the camera at me on every run (he was down right before the center box, IIRC), so hopefully he pressed the little button. I even put the HIDs and yellow fogs on to look pretty for him :tongue: and blind him into not realizing that I wasn't a BMW

irish44j
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Ah, so that's what that was! I only remember hitting it on my last run because I was more timid with speed with the other runs at that point and my line through that section wasn't utilizing the width of the lane.

I had requested to be moved, but it looks like it didn't happen before the event. I'm registering XR for the next event due to the treadwear rating on my tires (140 for RE05A).

good, that'll probably be my only 1st in class in this car, since in SCCA I have to run in STU with the heavy-modded Evos and STis :rolleyes:

iamsam
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM
excellent, can't wait! I saw your buddy pointing the camera at me on every run (he was down right before the center box, IIRC), so hopefully he pressed the little button. I even put the HIDs and yellow fogs on to look pretty for him :tongue: and blind him into not realizing that I wasn't a BMW

What car are you again?

Edit: you must be the black WRX, i do remember the HIDs, (i read your signature). I saw a pic of your car coming towards the camera, throwing up sheets of water, HIDs ablaze....

irish44j
07-12-2009, 10:12 PM
What car are you again?

black 09 WRX #244 that looks like a Corolla S with a hood scoop :)

agreatham
07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Woody, that's cool of you to call yourself out like that. I was actually working near that gate at the time and thought I remembered a blue M coupe missing it (there were only 2 people that cleanly missed gates there while I was working). I did radio it in after the guys without the radio nearer to the gate signaled, but there was some funky stuff going on with my radio and no idea if anyone heard it. When I saw you had FTD in a blue M coupe I glanced at your times and didn't see a DNF there, but didn't really think it was my place to call you out or "report" it since I wasn't 100% sure if it was you or not.

+1 for honesty.

I was working that section during the runs for group 2A and I called out about 3-4 cars for missing that last gate. I think I recall calling a blue M coupe out for missing the last left but we didn't have a radio to call it in so I told the course workers across from us. I think I'll bring my own radio next time and it might be a good idea to have the course workers write things down in addition to calling them in. I know I'll be doing that and kudos for the honesty.

RedMS3
07-12-2009, 10:25 PM
good, that'll probably be my only 1st in class in this car, since in SCCA I have to run in STU with the heavy-modded Evos and STis :rolleyes:

ha, if that's meant to suggest that I will finish ahead of you, I don't that'll happen very often. I'm a noob and therefore inconsistent :P

irish44j
07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
ha, if that's meant to suggest that I will finish ahead of you, I don't that'll happen very often. I'm a noob and therefore inconsistent :P

meh, I've now run exactly 3 autocrosses in an AWD/turbo car. I'm still getting used to the tail rotating and no low torque (coming out of FWD/v6). Not to mention learning how to setup an entirely different suspension arrangement.

I was surprised at how fast you were actually...I figured you'd have the edge in dry weather but that I could take you in the wet. Guess I was wrong :wink:

irish44j
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
What car are you again?

Edit: you must be the black WRX, i do remember the HIDs, (i read your signature). I saw a pic of your car coming towards the camera, throwing up sheets of water, HIDs ablaze....

you don't know how many events I go to where somehow no good pics of my car (this one and others) are taken....so just one awesome shot....the expectations get me giddy as a schoolgirl :)

I was working that section during the runs for group 2A and I called out about 3-4 cars for missing that last gate. I think I recall calling a blue M coupe out for missing the last left but we didn't have a radio to call it in so I told the course workers across from us. I think I'll bring my own radio next time and it might be a good idea to have the course workers write things down in addition to calling them in. I know I'll be doing that and kudos for the honesty.

Yeah, we were the ones across from you with the radio. But because we had to watch cones on our right, left, and ahead of us I didn't always see you guys signal a cone or didn't know whether it was a missed gate or cone hit. The guy with me was a 1st-timer so he wasn't really quick on the response. I had to run to put up almost all our cones while yelling the report on the radio :)

iamsam
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
you don't know how many events I go to where somehow no good pics of my car (this one and others) are taken....so just one awesome shot....the expectations get me giddy as a schoolgirl :)

Just because you are giddy i will give you a teaser:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qHca2oE64Mc/SlqvHUuxGcI/AAAAAAAADx0/bZqziB2HIWk/s800/WRX%20HIDs.jpg

mcoupemindy
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Jonathan and all,

Woody

Thank you for your honesty Woody. I won't correct the results for a day or so as to let you have some glory :)

I think this means that Scott Blair will actually have FTD.

Now if I didn't hit that stinkin cone on my 3rd run ... (55.470+1)

mcoupemindy
07-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Thank you for your honesty Woody. I won't correct the results for a day or so as to let you have some glory :)

I think this means that Scott Blair will actually have FTD.

Now if I didn't hit that stinkin cone on my 3rd run ... (55.470+1)

And I'm pretty sure if I could have put all the sections together better, I could have squeezed a high 54 out of it at the minimum.

TopGear
07-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Looking forward to seeing the photos. Can't say how much I appreciate them!