PDA

View Full Version : another issue with my gears, clutch, or tranny

hellrotfan96m3
05-17-2009, 09:24 PM
here is the question. what do you think could be causing my 2nd gear to grind with the clutch all the way down (disengaged) and only over 2 1/2 to 3k rpms anything under that and it doesnt grind (let me tell ya merging while having to wait for the rpms to come down can be a royal pain) i dont know what could be causing this. i just had the clutch replaced about 7 months ago (roughly) and havent really driven it much seeing as how it was in cali. while i was saving up the money to get it out here after i moved ( it was sitting for about 3 months with no-one driving it. any in-site would be a help ( i just hope i dont have to re-replace the damn clutch all over again)

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Do you have a clutch stop?

hellrotfan96m3
05-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Do you have a clutch stop?

not sure what that is exactly?

woodym3
05-20-2009, 10:20 AM
It is usually a round disk on the floor of the car that the clutch pedal hits when fully depressed. What Nick is referring to is the practice by some people to raise the disk around an inch so the range of clutch pedal travel is reduced. Sometimes the raised clutch stop does not allow the clutch to be fully dis-engaged. Ask me how I know.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2009, 11:05 AM
It is usually a round disk on the floor of the car that the clutch pedal hits when fully depressed. What Nick is referring to is the practice by some people to raise the disk around an inch so the range of clutch pedal travel is reduced. Sometimes the raised clutch stop does not allow the clutch to be fully dis-engaged. Ask me how I know.
Yeah - the UUC piece is just flat out too long. No matter how much Rob kicks and whines and screams about it, the spec is wrong.

hellrotfan96m3
05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
yeah i do have one of them and it has never been touched since i got the car.

mcoupemindy
05-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Did I hear that someone has one that they'd like to give me??? I'll take any unwanted UUC stops.

woodym3
05-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Did I hear that someone has one that they'd like to give me??? I'll take any unwanted UUC stops.

I'm surprised you haven't figured out how to make one with a $0.69 threaded rod extension from Home Depot.

mcoupemindy
05-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm surprised you haven't figured out how to make one with a $0.69 threaded rod extension from Home Depot.

That would cost money, I was looking for handouts. You know I'm poor.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I solved the problem with a sawzall. It's great with half an inch taken off.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2009, 03:19 PM
yeah i do have one of them and it has never been touched since i got the car.
Is it a little piece of black plastic about an inch in diameter, or a much bigger piece?

That said, how does the clutch feel? It wouldn't surprise me if you've got air in the line, or the slave cylinder is starting to pack it in. The slave is most likely to fail after a clutch change as it'll tend to operate in a different range of motion (i.e. all the gunk that has built up on the shaft over time will suddenly start running into the seal and damaging it).

hellrotfan96m3
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Is it a little piece of black plastic about an inch in diameter, or a much bigger piece?

That said, how does the clutch feel? It wouldn't surprise me if you've got air in the line, or the slave cylinder is starting to pack it in. The slave is most likely to fail after a clutch change as it'll tend to operate in a different range of motion (i.e. all the gunk that has built up on the shaft over time will suddenly start running into the seal and damaging it).

well i agree. i have recently changed my clutch (6months ago) and a week ago i replaced my slave cylinder, and i took it to a shop to get bled.