PDA

View Full Version : (2009) NCC Autocross - June 13 @ MD State Police Training Center, Sykesville, MD

Scany
05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Registration has just opened for the third event in the NCC Autocross season! The NCC Autocross program is targeted towards the first timer as well as the more experienced autocrosser. More information about the program can be found on our website at: http://nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=25

To register for our third event click the following link: http://nccbmwcca.org/index.php?view=details&id=110%3Aautocross-event-3&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=26

The event promotes a great social gathering of all ages and all cars. Bring your car right from the showroom, or take your project out of the garage for a spin around the cones, in a safe manner provided by our experienced NCCBMWCCA AutoX committee.

Please don't hesitate to contact me or anyone else in the Autocross committee with any questions you might have. We'll be happy to answer your questions and do everything in our power so that you may have a great experience with your car and have lots of fun at the same time.

Hope to see you there,
Anders Skandsen

forrealb50
05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Already registered. Can't wait!

mf44
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
So what's the over-under on this event being a wet one, too? Hahaha

Also registered!

Scany
05-03-2009, 03:57 PM
This year has been the year of rain, both AutoX and trackdays. NASA last weekend was my first all dry event. Though not fun outside the car, I think you learn a lot from running in the wet, and it is like Bob Varsha says on tv "it's the great equalizer".

gbauer
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Registered in the PM. Getting sick of all the PM guys getting a dry course while the rest of us plow around in our boats!

Zcruizer
05-03-2009, 09:01 PM
:redface: Hey, don't crowd the afternoon. Isn't enough we allow the early bird to get the worm.

Zcruizer
05-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered..... PM of course. BTW, it was great to see a handfull of Z3's this weekend representing. Hope to see more next time, winning would be good too.:cool: I, for one, will be doing my best. Look out REACH, I'm coming to get ya. If you can stay out of the mud. :biggrin:

iamsam
05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Registered for PM....... i had so much fun at my first autocross (yesterday at Summit Point) that i think i am going to sign up for every other autocross event here! :)

mduhovich
05-04-2009, 07:05 AM
:redface: Hey, don't crowd the afternoon. Isn't enough we allow the early bird to get the worm.
I think those who were signed up for afternon (2nd group) last 2 events got better times just because of the course condition. The difference was significant even between 1st and 2nd group from afternoon sessions. :(

Luckily, next event is not at Summit Point, so I hope we will not have to take out our boats:)

BTW.. Are there any boaters here?

mf44
05-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Registered in the PM. Getting sick of all the PM guys getting a dry course while the rest of us plow around in our boats!

I'm still hoping for the after-lunch torrential downpour to make all this suffering in the AM groups worthwhile, hahaha.:biggrin::biggrin:

gbauer
05-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm still hoping for the after-lunch torrential downpour to make all this suffering in the AM groups worthwhile, hahaha.:biggrin::biggrin:
I'm going to monitor the conditions and change accordingly!:tongue:

Zcruizer
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Alright you AM'ers, now I'm going to start signing up for the AM instead of PM so I can take advantage of that cool grip-ier asphalt.:wink: Yoda told me.."June 13, dry it will be..yyyeeeeeeessss.. dry it will be."

iamsam
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
...and no one questions Yoda!

BradMW
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
The fact is: PM has a MUCH better statistical advantage over AM.

PM will always be warmer, both due to temperature and morning runs.
PM will be more dry unless it is raining about half way through the AM session or immediately after. Even if it starts raining half way through PM, you still have 2 runs that were in much better conditions than the morning.

It is more likely that it is not raining at any given time than it is raining (not including statistics from this season so far), so if it rained any time from afternoon the day before until the start of the AM session, PM is the winner. AM is only the winner if it's actively raining during that 2 hour slot.

I don't think people should choose AM if they are gambling for best probable conditions. They will lose more times than not.

RedMS3
05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I've signed up and can't wait!

Scany
05-04-2009, 11:14 AM
But PM being warmer is bad horsepower wise. The cold air in the morning makes mad power! :D the 1hp increase is quite significant in my car! LOL

Needless to say I'll be in the AM!

mscire2
05-04-2009, 11:15 AM

Your especially good with the plowing around in a boat.....

Reach
05-04-2009, 11:31 AM
But my spinouts look so much cooler when there is water going everywhere!

Reach
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Look out REACH, I'm coming to get ya. If you can stay out of the mud. :biggrin:

Mud is my friend, I'm more than 'gettable', hehe. Consistency is not my strong suit so far. But cut me some slack, I'm still learning this car! :eek:

Zcruizer
05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey Reach I think our driving skills are about the same. I even put my hardtop on this weekend to even out our weight difference. I just can't help thinking about how if you bought the cheap Nittos, like I did, instead of those expensive tires, you might have beat me. he-he:biggrin:

Pete
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
There really is no advantage running in the AM vs PM. It depends on weather and part of the year the even it being held. It has happened many times that AM drivers have had dry weather and PM drivers got the wet course.

In the middle of the summer 2nd half AM drivers may have an advantage depending on ambient air temps as if it is too hot, you can exceed the operating temps of your tires (Depends on the tires) as certain tires don't do well over high 80 degree ambient air temps and require tire sprayers to keep their temps down.

Other drivers do better in the PM after watching all of the AM drivers make mistakes and have more walk through opportunities.

It just depends.

bobbyj
05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
The best benefit PM drivers get to is the extra recovery time from the hangovers, haha. I had a quick question for you guys. I found a Bell motorcycle helmet on craigslist for dirt cheap. Would this work for autocross events, or do we need to use specified helmet types for competition? Thanks a lot and any feedback is helpful!

Scany
05-04-2009, 02:44 PM
From track driving about 80% is the driver. PM vs AM, given no obvious different wet conditions, probably doesn't make for more than 1% of the total performance. Yet again, all factors count :) I think right tire pressures will give you better times.

Reach
05-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Your especially good with the plowing around in a boat.....

Speaking of plowing around in a boat... is this really my "I'm about to die" face? I look so stoic.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3048/dsc0500l.jpg

mcoupemindy
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
The best benefit PM drivers get to is the extra recovery time from the hangovers, haha. I had a quick question for you guys. I found a Bell motorcycle helmet on craigslist for dirt cheap. Would this work for autocross events, or do we need to use specified helmet types for competition? Thanks a lot and any feedback is helpful!

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?view=items&cid=2%3Aautocross-faqs&id=63%3Ado-i-have-to-wear-a-helmet&option=com_quickfaq&Itemid=154

gbauer
05-04-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?view=items&cid=2%3Aautocross-faqs&id=63%3Ado-i-have-to-wear-a-helmet&option=com_quickfaq&Itemid=154
Thanks! I was about to do that.

alexmarksthespot
05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey! This is Adam's gf, Alex. I stalk the message boards and read them a lot so I figured I'd finally make myself an online account. I plan to go to the next autox all day to help out, and drive. I wanted to see if I should register ahead of time since Adam never does. I don't know if I'd run AM/PM though I'd probably just go at whatever time has less people. Thanksssss

-Alex

mcoupemindy
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey! This is Adam's gf, Alex. I stalk the message boards and read them a lot so I figured I'd finally make myself an online account. I plan to go to the next autox all day to help out, and drive. I wanted to see if I should register ahead of time since Adam never does. I don't know if I'd run AM/PM though I'd probably just go at whatever time has less people. Thanksssss

-Alex

Hi Alex!!!

How you doin?

Just register for the morning please.

alexmarksthespot
05-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Alex!!!

How you doin?

Just register for the morning please.

Okay, I will. I'm doing good! I know its a good while away but what time do you need us to arrive to help out with setting up the event? That way I can go ahead making babysitter plans now.

mcoupemindy
05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Okay, I will. I'm doing good! I know its a good while away but what time do you need us to arrive to help out with setting up the event? That way I can go ahead making babysitter plans now.

You got PM!

bobbyj
05-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks, I'm sorry I didn't' see that before. Can anyone suggest somewhere locally to buy a helmet?

BradMW
05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks, I'm sorry I didn't' see that before. Can anyone suggest somewhere locally to buy a helmet?

OG Racing out in Dulles/Sterling, talk to Brian Hair. Prices are just as good as anything you'll find online and you have the huge advantage of getting to try everything on.

http://ogracing.com/pages/Home

95Maxrider
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Signed up for the PM session again :)

Bobby- You might want to blank out your license plate numbers ;)

Car54
05-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Signed up for the PM session again :)

Bobby- You might want to blank out your license plate numbers ;)

His numbers are for vanity only...it's not a state issued tag!

95Maxrider
05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
His numbers are for vanity only...it's not a state issued tag!

Hence the ;)

bobbyj
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
I love not having to have a state issued tag on the front of my car! :biggrin:

forrealb50
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
The fact is: PM has a MUCH better statistical advantage over AM.

PM will always be warmer, both due to temperature and morning runs.
PM will be more dry unless it is raining about half way through the AM session or immediately after. Even if it starts raining half way through PM, you still have 2 runs that were in much better conditions than the morning.

It is more likely that it is not raining at any given time than it is raining (not including statistics from this season so far), so if it rained any time from afternoon the day before until the start of the AM session, PM is the winner. AM is only the winner if it's actively raining during that 2 hour slot.

I don't think people should choose AM if they are gambling for best probable conditions. They will lose more times than not.

Well that makes me feel even better about taking 1st in S3. Sorry, had to say it.

mcoupemindy
05-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Us guys with comp tires sometime prefer to run on cooler asphalt before it gets blistering hot :wink: ...

Give me a non-rainy day and you'll see what I'm talking about ...

bobbyj
05-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Well that makes me feel even better about taking 1st in S3. Sorry, had to say it.
Were you in AM or PM last weekend?

forrealb50
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
I was in the AM last weekend

otranscendental
05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey dudes, Anyone know where I can find my member number? I never got a card in the mail.....

mcoupemindy
05-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Hey dudes, Anyone know where I can find my member number? I never got a card in the mail.....

Call Nationals.

Car54
05-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Here's the current list of entrants.

If you haven't signed up...what are you waiting for!

ventsyv
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Just signed up, being my first time and all, what time should I be there ? I signed up for the PM session.

Also, does it have to be full face helmet?? I found full face Snell M20005 Motorcycle Helmet, is that going to be OK? I'm guessing the Snell M2005 is the rating and not the brand correct ?

Car54
05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Schedule:
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?view=details&id=110%3Aautocross-event-3&option=com_eventlist

Helmet:

ventsyv
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks. I read the FAQ, somehow missed the schedule ...
Still my question stands: Do I need full face helmet? If I get motorcycle helmet that's Snell M05 is that going to be OK?

AG
05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
You do not need a full face helmet for auto-x.

ronh21
05-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I only have a full-faced helmet (for track days), but after two very warm autocrosses last weekend I'm seriously considering a cheap-ish open helmet just for that.

ventsyv
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
On the opposite, I was thinking to get a full face helmet so I could also use it for the track, but now maybe I should look into buying one of those helmets that can open up and can be used as both.

Car54
05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Those will only have an M rating if at all. Some if not all are not Snell approved and only DOT approved. If you start doing track events, you're going to want a SA helmet, not an M, as some groups require it. Besides, when you flip the front up, you probably won't fit in the car. Get a cheapo open faced and a SA full-faced....like Ron is saying.

Just have to search! http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=5054&highlight=helmet

ventsyv
05-27-2009, 04:57 PM
I found a cheap Snell full face, I think I'm getting that. You are probably right about the hybrid helmet, I tried looking online but could not find one that's snell rated, just DOT.

Luda
06-02-2009, 12:17 AM
ill definatly be there, driving my own car even

Jim Dunlap
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
It's June 2nd. Can we have an update to the sign up list? Also, once again I'm ashamed to confess, some of the mentally challenged - me - might have trouble remembering AM vs PM. Can't we routinely add that info to the list?

Car54
06-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Here's an updated list.

Please look over your entry and let me know if there is any incorrect data.

Luda
06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
You can remove the blank entry for me [Doug DuCote] and my car is a 2005 not a 2009.

FeintDriftMaster
06-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi All. I'm the guy with the Scion. Looking foward to the next event, breaking out the S2000 for this one. Hope it's dryer out. Never been to Sykesville, is it a skidpad too?

Car54
06-07-2009, 08:49 AM
There is but we don't usually use it during competitive autox, just schools.

BradMW
06-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Bleh, engine troubles started up on Thursday; we'll see if RRT can have her in shape come Saturday.

alexmarksthespot
06-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm excited! :)

ventsyv
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm in twice, lines 29 & 30. Could you please remove one of the entries?
Also, do you guys think I can borrow a helmet? I ordered mine today, but I'm not sure if I'll get it by Saturday.

AG
06-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Also, do you guys think I can borrow a helmet?

Loaners will be available.

RedGT
06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe I'm missing this info somewhere, but what is this site like? Have you guys run there before? Overhead maps don't show any substantial parking lots. So is this event run on the training/test track?

Jim Dunlap
06-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Numbers - we were given choices. Does this mean we might see a list with our assigned numbers before the day of the event?

mcoupemindy
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Numbers - we were given choices. Does this mean we might see a list with our assigned numbers before the day of the event?

Yep! I'm still working out the bugs in the number assignment script, however we will have a list posted to show the assigned numbers.

Reach
06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I need to re-register for the morning session instead of the afternoon. Should I just submit an additional registration?

Car54
06-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes, resubmit and add your intent in the comments.

ThreeD
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I just joined the BMWCCA a few days ago and had joined this autocross as a non-member. How should I change it so I will only pay the member price?

ThreeD
06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
resubmitted because I wanted to change from AM to PM

Car54
06-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Attached is the latest registration.

Let me know if you see errors.

Car54
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I just joined the BMWCCA a few days ago and had joined this autocross as a non-member. How should I change it so I will only pay the member price?

resubmitted because I wanted to change from AM to PM

Gotcha covered

Maybe I'm missing this info somewhere, but what is this site like? Have you guys run there before? Overhead maps don't show any substantial parking lots. So is this event run on the training/test track?

It's there...look for the rectangle lot next to the double skidpad, near the residential street practice course.

KatieT
06-09-2009, 09:52 PM
It's there...look for the rectangle lot next to the double skidpad, near the residential street practice course.

:biggrin:

~Katie

(It's further down Slacks Rd...you have to go past the main building)

bmw_matt
06-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey guys,
Just registered here and just joined CCA as a whole and I originally signed up as a non-member a while back, and I would like to check the time I selected. Is there anyway to change these?
thanks

ThreeD
06-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,
Just registered here and just joined CCA as a whole and I originally signed up as a non-member a while back, and I would like to check the time I selected. Is there anyway to change these?
thanks

hi matt :eeps: its chris (dreamdrivedrift)

click that xls file that was posted a few posts back, and join fvckin PM if you joined AM!

RedGT
06-10-2009, 07:29 AM
(It's further down Slacks Rd...you have to go past the main building)

*pic*

Way to crush my dreams. :tongue: Still looking forward to it though!

BradMW
06-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Can we just sign whatever waiver is necessary and use the test course next time? I, and probably many others, value fun way ahead of safety.

mcoupemindy
06-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Can we just sign whatever waiver is necessary and use the test course next time? I, and probably many others, value fun way ahead of safety.

LOL ... I don't think so ...

mcoupemindy
06-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Here's the current registration list WITH NUMBERS!

mduhovich
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Here's the current registration list WITH NUMBERS!

Jonathan,

I am sure that I registerd myself and Alex for AM and PM sessions. I still have those email confirmations. However, I don't see us in the AM session.

Thank you.

mcoupemindy
06-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Jonathan,

I am sure that I registerd myself and Alex for AM and PM sessions. I still have those email confirmations. However, I don't see us in the AM session.

Thank you.

Hi Maria,

It is only permitted to run one of the two sessions (especially with the large number expected).

Jonathan

Sammyzuko
06-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I must've made a mistake when registering. I'm listed with a 2009 M3 in T1. It should be a 1997 M3 in T2. Sam Koberoski #207.

mcoupemindy
06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I must've made a mistake when registering. I'm listed with a 2009 M3 in T1. It should be a 1997 M3 in T2. Sam Koberoski #207.

Fixed. Thanks.

Sammyzuko
06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Fixed. Thanks.
Thank you sir.

gbauer
06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
LOL ... I don't think so ...
pretty please? :biggrin:

what time would you like us set-up people there? 7:00-ish?

Also, if you and Katy want to spend the night at my place Friday so you can sleep an extra hour, let me know. There's plenty of room for the truck, trailer, and coupe. If you're nice, I might even let you garage the coupe...

Reach
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
And, what time for us AM run mere mortals?

mduhovich
06-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi Maria,

It is only permitted to run one of the two sessions (especially with the large number expected).

JonathanReally? Too bad..
How come Brian Lynch is registered for both AM and PM sessions?

Anyway, if there is no way we could run both, would you please register us for the AM session?

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Really? Too bad..
How come Brian Lynch is registered for both AM and PM sessions?

Anyway, if there is no way we could run both, would you please register us for the AM session?

Maria,

You will need to change at the event. The upload to the timing software has already been completed.

Brian was probably just a duplicate that I missed removing.

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Final registration list attached. It has the car numbers. 1XX cars are in the AM, 2XX cars are in the PM.

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 08:51 AM
If you are planning to help with setup tomorrow morning, please arrive NO EARLIER THAN 7:40 AM.

If you are simply participating and not assisting with setup, arrive NO EARLIER THAN 8:00 AM.

Thank you.

noelleslie
06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Jonanthan,

Of course, as soon as you publish the final roster, you are gonna have knuckleheads like me tell you that they cannot make the event unless they switch to AM from the PM group.

I'm in NJ and have some additional family members visiting in the early evening tomorrow so there's no way I can make the afternoon session.

I would just skip the event, but if will be difficult to attend events after mid-August due to school and work, so I have to try and make this event so I can (try and) beat Woody :)

I am currently #210 but numbers 150 and 190 looked available, if I could change.

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Jonanthan,

Of course, as soon as you publish the final roster, you are gonna have knuckleheads like me tell you that they cannot make the event unless they switch to AM from the PM group.

I'm in NJ and have some additional family members visiting in the early evening tomorrow so there's no way I can make the afternoon session.

I would just skip the event, but if will be difficult to attend events after mid-August due to school and work, so I have to try and make this event so I can (try and) beat Woody :)

I am currently #210 but numbers 150 and 190 looked available, if I could change.

Noel,

Just show up for the AM session. No problem. We'll switch you at the event.

bmw_matt
06-12-2009, 05:44 PM
How much gas is recommended to roll up with? 1/4 tank full? 1/2 tank full?

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 05:52 PM
How much gas is recommended to roll up with? 1/4 tank full? 1/2 tank full?

First time autocrossing? If so, it really doesn't matter - there's no point in trying to save weight. No less than 1/4 tank if you care about your fuel pump.

joe149
06-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Here's an updated list.

Please look over your entry and let me know if there is any incorrect data.

I'm registered - received confirmation from Jonathan Thayer, but am not in the attached xls.
Joe Elwell
08 Mazdaspeed 3

thanks - will also email Jonathan.
Joe

joe149
06-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Ignore previous post - I'm in the reg xls with number. Sorry for WOB
Joe

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm registered - received confirmation from Jonathan Thayer, but am not in the attached xls.
Joe Elwell
08 Mazdaspeed 3

thanks - will also email Jonathan.
Joe

No worries Joe.

Just show up and we'll get you in.

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 06:30 PM
No worries Joe.

Just show up and we'll get you in.

And you're also in the final list. Look at line 17.

Jim Arnett
06-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm going to be bringing my '62 Mini, not the 90 Z.
Is it too late to have this changed on the entry list?
(I'm car 105)
Thanks!

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm going to be bringing my '62 Mini, not the 90 Z.
Is it too late to have this changed on the entry list?
(I'm car 105)
Thanks!

Just inform the person running check-in. We'll change it tomorrow morning.

RedMS3
06-12-2009, 08:29 PM
3 Mini Cooper S? Oh boy...

woodym3
06-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Jonanthan,

Jonathan,
Don't let him change!
Woody

RedGT
06-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Is it possible to request to run in the same heat as someone else? I'm dragging a friend out to his first event and hope to be able to give him pointers between runs.

Scany
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
See you guys tomorrow! :)

mcoupemindy
06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Is it possible to request to run in the same heat as someone else? I'm dragging a friend out to his first event and hope to be able to give him pointers between runs.

Yep. We keep everything pretty informal. No worries.

BradMW
06-13-2009, 05:22 AM
First time autocrossing? If so, it really doesn't matter - there's no point in trying to save weight. No less than 1/4 tank if you care about your fuel pump.

Yeah, my first time at Sykesville was an embarrassing fuel-pump-destroying debacle. Don't be me.

SamB325es
06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
first attempt at vid posting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ftNVZGIgWY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S579SEfrt9I

Good times!

RedMS3
06-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Great event today! It was fun to see the more powerful cars finally have a chance to put it down.

Zcruizer
06-13-2009, 06:11 PM
It was great, but I saw too many cars with half my power make me look really bad. Props to the drivers scoring under :54.

95Maxrider
06-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, it was fun watching the fast cars actually go fast instead of just spinning tires. I wonder how my 52.9 held up in XS class......

Edit: It looks like my buddy Darius in his black Maxima had some alternator/battery problems after leaving the event. His battery was leaking acid and his alternator was smoking....at least he made it to his mechanic in Rockville without a problem. My condolences go out to him as this is the third alternator in 3 years.....at least he has a legit excuse for being a tad slower than me ;)

bmw_matt
06-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice seeing all the cars there and seeing different cars instead of just BMW.
Wonder how my cruddy time held up. I'm just happy with myself I got a half-decent time and didn't hit any cones on any of my runs :)

forrealb50
06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Nice seeing all the cars there and seeing different cars instead of just BMW.
Wonder how my cruddy time held up. I'm just happy with myself I got a half-decent time and didn't hit any cones on any of my runs :)

My runs were pretty sloppy. I couldn't get the tire pressures right and no matter how much air I put in the front left it kept rolling onto the side wall. On my last run I have 47psi in the front left when hot and it was still rolling over. I think at a certain point crappy tires will only give you so much performance.

It will be a miracle if I ended up with a clean run. Can't wait to see the results!

bmw_matt
06-13-2009, 07:11 PM
When will they be posted?

Btw, did u run at the PM?

forrealb50
06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
When will they be posted?

Btw, did u run at the PM?

For the past two events the results were posted that night.

I ran in the AM.

mcoupemindy
06-13-2009, 08:15 PM
For the past two events the results were posted that night.

I ran in the AM.

Unfortunately, there's alot of "cleanup" work that needs done before posting the results.

You will probably need to wait until tomorrow morning until I'm ready to post them.

KatieT
06-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I had fun today and took tons of pics for ya'll. I'll try to sort through all of them tomorrow and get them up. I'm pretty sure that I got pics of everyone and hopefully they turned out well. I'll let you know when they're posted.

~Katie

FredK
06-13-2009, 08:48 PM
That was alot of fun today. I was so glad to find out about it. I had signed up for the CDC event at the slime pad at Summit. I cancelled that and am glad I did. Fun course and got home early. Don't tell me if anyone was faster in the PM. FYI, I ran 18.5/18 psi in my V710's. My car was made in Maryland.
FredK

iamsam
06-13-2009, 09:46 PM
i did nothing but plow my front tires all over the place, it was embarrassing. But at least i got a 53, which isn't a terrible score.

joeo
06-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Had a great time - first time at an AutoX in the 135i. Had a blast! Took some pics. Sorry - I don't know everyone's name.

Pics:
http://www.lovehorsepower.com/galleries/1118612734/BMW_AutoX_June_2009/album/

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1BCx3NLB48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3E0tE-uxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb6NL7b1NLM

-Joe
http://videos.lovehorsepower.com

RedGT
06-14-2009, 01:26 AM
FYI, I ran 18.5/18 psi in my V710's.
FredK

May I ask what car and what size tire this is? I'm still messing with tire pressures in my V710's but I'm in the mid-high 20's...and they're rolling onto the sidewall more than I'd like already.

FredK
06-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Sorry..I posted while drinking.. and may have been being a smart ass. That's with 275/315's, on a 2400Lb Cobra, so probably not very helpful.
FredK

MazdaSC
06-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Great fun as usual, still waiting for the result to see how badly Pete embarrassed this time. We weren't even in the same ballpark at the TSP. Here is what would have been my best run if not for that one little cone.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-AuFym1oA

MazdaSC
06-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Great fun as usual, still waiting on the results to see how bad Pete embarrassed us this time, we weren't even in the same ballpark at the TSP.
Here is what would have been my best run if it weren't that one little cone.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-AuFym1oA

RedGT
06-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Ha. No problem...why do you think I was up at 2:30...

And, yeah, 195s on a 2100lb golf. Slightly different. Oh well, worth a shot.

forrealb50
06-14-2009, 08:48 AM
i did nothing but plow my front tires all over the place, it was embarrassing. But at least i got a 53, which isn't a terrible score.

Same with me... how do you fix that besides adding more tire pressure while staying within the class limits.

jbrannon7
06-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Here is a video of 3 of my 4 runs. I guess I forgot to start the camera on either run 2 or 3. So, the vid is run 1, then run 2 or 3, then run 4 where I lost focus. I was feeling really fast in run 4 until I blew the really tight turn just before the slalom. Then I chuckled as I ran over the slalom cones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6EZvPM3nuU

Joe

noelleslie
06-14-2009, 09:15 AM
One more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mBBCBrQdg&feature=channel_page

Zcruizer
06-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Joe, you smashed a lot of cones there buddy. Very entertaining

mcoupemindy
06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Here's the results:

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168

MazdaSC
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Here is the link I tried to post earlier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-AuFym1oA hopefully it will show up this time.

BradMW
06-14-2009, 10:33 AM
So I take it that it did not rain in the PM?

ronh21
06-14-2009, 10:44 AM
So I take it that it did not rain in the PM?

About 12 seconds of drizzle, that's it :) I know it sounds rude to those running, but some rain would have been nice while working the course. It was HOT.

Pete
06-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah it was hot. I was pretty dehydrated and empty headed towards the end of the day. I didn't drive my best but I'm glad my time stood up. I was really glad the breeze picked up towards the end of the day.

Sammyzuko
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I had a great time at this event. I'm really enjoying how competitive T2 has been.
Looks like I had a case of wishful dyslexia after my first run. I apologize to the people I told a had a better time than it turns out I actually did....doh!

AG
06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
My runs were pretty sloppy. I couldn't get the tire pressures right and no matter how much air I put in the front left it kept rolling onto the side wall. On my last run I have 47psi in the front left when hot and it was still rolling over. I think at a certain point crappy tires will only give you so much performance.

It will be a miracle if I ended up with a clean run. Can't wait to see the results!

You shouldn't go above 38 psi hot. If you're still having problems, you're probably over driving the car. Adding even more air than that just makes the problem worse.

FeintDriftMaster
06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey guys. That was much more fun when it's dry! Following vid is of my best run at 52.614. Camera 2 started fogging up during the run. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5T8qVwymxc

Scany
06-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Great fun out there!

Jonathan, I guess it got a little confusing at registration. My 2000 528iA should be in T4 I guess (or does fallen off muffler leave me in M4? :) ). Regardless, the conclusion is that the 528iA was not as fun as the 318iS. But surprisingly maybe as quick, looking at my fellow 318iS times.

Btw, anyone seen video of the 350Z doing a proper rallyturn down towards the box? I'd like to see that one :)

Gimp
06-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Will there be an full PAX list published? Just curious.

Thanks!

forrealb50
06-14-2009, 03:40 PM
You shouldn't go above 38 psi hot. If you're still having problems, you're probably over driving the car. Adding even more air than that just makes the problem worse.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think a larger diameter wheel and lower profile tire would help the problem? Right now I'm running the 16" rims and I think 205x45x16 tires so there's definitely room for improvement.

I really need to get this problem taken care of ASAP. I would plow into every turn and fight to get the front end pointed in the right direction.

mcoupemindy
06-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Great fun out there!

Jonathan, I guess it got a little confusing at registration. My 2000 528iA should be in T4 I guess (or does fallen off muffler leave me in M4? :) ). Regardless, the conclusion is that the 528iA was not as fun as the 318iS. But surprisingly maybe as quick, looking at my fellow 318iS times.

Btw, anyone seen video of the 350Z doing a proper rallyturn down towards the box? I'd like to see that one :)

I was leaving you in M4 so that you can use the event to qualify for year end awards :)

There's no rule against upclassing. I can move you back to T4 if you'd like ...

mcoupemindy
06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Will there be an full PAX list published? Just curious.

Thanks!

There's no PAX index for our events.

lsg914
06-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I had a great time. Man it was hot...

I did come home short one piece of electronics...Did anyone happen to find a Flip Video Camera? Lost somewhere on the facility.

thanks again.

Scott

AG
06-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think a larger diameter wheel and lower profile tire would help the problem? Right now I'm running the 16" rims and I think 205x45x16 tires so there's definitely room for improvement.

I really need to get this problem taken care of ASAP. I would plow into every turn and fight to get the front end pointed in the right direction.

I don't think lower profile tires will help you at all until you get your driving sorted out. If you're plowing that much, you're going too fast. Next time, slow down for turns more than you think you need to and get someone to ride along.

woodym3
06-14-2009, 06:49 PM
There's an old saw that says autocross newbies go too fast in the slow turns and too slow in the fast turns.

bmw_matt
06-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Great fun guys, does anyone know if coilovers would put you in Modified or would you still be considered Tuner? It just says

Adjustable Shocks / Struts Permitted But Must Retain Original Mounting Points
but technically they are adjustable.......several different ways haha

Car54
06-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Perhaps adding all that air to the rear (instead of the front) would lessen rear grip, thereby decreasing understeer. The end result would be a more difficult car to drive fast, but at least you could complain about something new. ;)

iamsam
06-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Same with me... how do you fix that besides adding more tire pressure while staying within the class limits.

not sure. I added pressure to the front tires, and the only other solution i see is to add weight in the front, in the form of an S50 (E36 M3) engine in my E30! ;)

ronh21
06-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think lower profile tires will help you at all until you get your driving sorted out. If you're plowing that much, you're going too fast. Next time, slow down for turns more than you think you need to and get someone to ride along.

There's an old saw that says autocross newbies go too fast in the slow turns and too slow in the fast turns.

It's kind of counter-intuitive, but my fastest runs are always when I do what these guys are saying. When I try to turn too fast, I plow as bad as anybody. No tire/pressure changes required to fix that.

RedMS3
06-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Ain't that the truth...Plowing through slow turns is the #1 thing I need to work on. I actually found the course to be a lot more difficult than it looked. I had issues with the slower turns (slow turn before the first long straight and the Chicago Box) where I would just come in too hot and understeer like crazy. It was also my first time through a long slalom and I found it tough to modulate speed while maintaining rhythm, especially when having to shift from 1st to 2nd out of the box.

I committed the same folly last time, so I know I need to focus on driving more smoothly.

Gimp
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
There's no PAX index for our events.

My mistake. I saw that my buddy Fred got "Top PAX" time on the results and assumed there was.

forrealb50
06-15-2009, 07:15 AM

That's great news. Now I don't need to spend any money on my car so the wife will be happy. I think I need to remember to brake in a straight line.

Bob
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
not sure. I added pressure to the front tires, and the only other solution i see is to add weight in the front, in the form of an S50 (E36 M3) engine in my E30! ;)

I tried that, and now I can't get 275's to hook up!lol Bob

ea-sport
06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I know it's only Monday but, any pictures from Saturday?:biggrin:

Bimmer3
06-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Going above 38 psi is not necessarily a bad thing.

It depends on the car and tires, but if the tires feel like they are rolling over, you are pushing too much, over-driving, or doing something wrong. BACK OFF. Adding more air helps, and may make the difference, but it mostly boils down to your driving style. In a FWD car the front tires have to do all the work, acceleration, braking and turning. If you try to do too much at once, they can't take it. Do one thing at a time and the tires will have more grip. When I used to run my VW's autocrossing, Mark 1 and Mark 2's, I remember running 45-50 lbs. or higher in the front tires, COLD. It's not going to hurt them. In fact, running too little WILL hurt them, but over-driving will hurt them for sure, plain and simple. If they lack grip, adjust your driving accordingly. Or get some stickier tires.

mcoupemindy
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM

Tonight at the absolute earliest.

Bimmer3
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM

WHY would you plow into every turn? Carrying too much speed and turning the wheel hard sharply while braking or accelerating is too much for most tires to handle. Physics.

That course was very technical, with most of the turns being very tight and slow. Remember, SLOW IN, FAST OUT. Even in a FWD VW with 195's... it can be done. Changing tires or air pressures might improve the situation, or you may get the same results. But changing how you drive the turns will make the biggest difference.

Biggins
06-15-2009, 11:00 AM

I highly doubt your tires are 205/45/16. They're probably 205/55/16. If you wanted to stay on the same wheels, there are much better options in the 225/50/16 size which is what I run.

I'd focus on driving a bit smoother. Try your pressures at 40f/40r to start and adjust from there.

denbownium
06-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Jonathan,

Not a huge deal but my results are in wrong class. Dave Denbow white M3 should be T2 ... not M2. Havent got that turbo .. yet!?! :eek:

Had a blast though.

For anyone else,
Im looking to get another set of wheels for AutoX and wondering for recommendations for tires. Not looking to get COMP tires but something a hell of lot better than those crappy falkens I have right now. I was all over the place without putting the foot down far at all. Anyone used the Dunlop Direzza SPECs? Any suggestions?

Thanks! Look fwd to pics too!

Dbow

Sammyzuko
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Hey Jonathan,

Not a huge deal but my results are in wrong class. Dave Denbow white M3 should be T2 ... not M2. Havent got that turbo .. yet!?! :eek:

Had a blast though.

For anyone else,
Im looking to get another set of wheels for AutoX and wondering for recommendations for tires. Not looking to get COMP tires but something a hell of lot better than those crappy falkens I have right now. I was all over the place without putting the foot down far at all. Anyone used the Dunlop Direzza SPECs? Any suggestions?

Thanks! Look fwd to pics too!

Dbow
The Dunlops are an excellent tire choice. I'd also recommend looking into the D-Force LTW wheels. It'll be tough to beat them for a well priced, light weight, and strong wheel.
http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/d-force-ltw5---3-series-e364690.htm

The APEX ARC-8 is another inexpensive, lightweight wheel. It's new on the market, so I don't know how well they hold up.
http://apexwheels.blogspot.com/ (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161972&highlight=apex)

17x9 is a great fit for the E36.

denbownium
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
You do 17X9 all around? Not staggered?

Sammyzuko
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
You do 17X9 all around? Not staggered?
Yep, same size wheel and tire on all four corners.

Scany
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I was leaving you in M4 so that you can use the event to qualify for year end awards :)

There's no rule against upclassing. I can move you back to T4 if you'd like ...

That works. Thanks!

There's some talk here about different tires, pressures etc. Remember at this level it's probably 80% driver, and most of us have a long way to go before we are good enough to start looking too much into the other 20%, the car. My suggestion is to get a decent setup and leave it stable. Too many variables makes it harder to learn how to drive consistently and to improve your driving. You'll get more results from improving your driving. I believe most instructors will agree with me on that.

KatieT
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah...as Jonathan said tonight at the earliest. I took 1500+ pics and it takes time to watermark and sort through them. They're looking pretty good though - not enough blur but still decent.

~Katie

ronh21
06-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Anyone used the Dunlop Direzza SPECs? Any suggestions?

I use 245/40 star specs ($160-ish at TR) on TR Motorsport MT-1R 17X9 wheels on a 95 M3, and I believe the T2-winning Z3 was running them as well. I don't have much to compare them to since I'm still pretty new to this, but I have nothing bad to say. I'd say that they're definitely holding up their end of the bargain in autocross and track days so far.

Ron

denbownium
06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
That works. Thanks!

There's some talk here about different tires, pressures etc. Remember at this level it's probably 80% driver, and most of us have a long way to go before we are good enough to start looking too much into the other 20%, the car. My suggestion is to get a decent setup and leave it stable. Too many variables makes it harder to learn how to drive consistently and to improve your driving. You'll get more results from improving your driving. I believe most instructors will agree with me on that.
Oh I hear you on the driver vs. car. And I plan on attending as much as I can to get the experience built up and learn as much as I can!

But I do want to get a set of stickier tires though as my falken FKs are slippery even in standard driving conditions. Just put these on and compared to the Bridgestones I had before they arent even close ... almost scary. Went on a receommendation from other bimmer owners who went cheap on rubber. Maybe matched with my suspension setup they just dont get the traction I am used to.

But autocross .. as someone said ... prbably will become an affliction! So looking to get a good setup to start with and band away at my driving skillz from there! Thanks for the info!

-Dbow

Gimp
06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm running 225/50R16 Dunlop Z1 Star Specs and I've been very happy with them. I had them shaved to 5/32nds and they've held up really well over a good number of races. I routinely datalog 1.15g's on them.

denbownium
06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Dunlop Star Specs it is.

Now just gotta get another set of wheels to put em on. That'll be the fun part ... the kinda shoppin that dude's like!

-Dbow

Biggins
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Dunlop Star Specs it is.

Now just gotta get another set of wheels to put em on. That'll be the fun part ... the kinda shoppin that dude's like!

-Dbow
Did you look at the 2009 tire thread? There is much more discussion in there about most all the tire options for this year.

noelleslie
06-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Star Specs are excellent tires.. I have them on my Z4 in T2. But.. I would still recommend you do what Brian (Bimmer3) and Woody said in being introspective first with your driving style.

There are lots of books that cost less than the shipping on those tires, and you can film your runs too, with a $5 camera mount and digital camera so you can review them afterward and see some of the strengths and weaknesses of that particular day.

I had BF Goodrich KDW-2 tires last year, and while they were good and far from great, I learned a ridiculous amount from riding with people like Adam C., Brian Hair, and others not to mention reading, watching videos, and taking driving schools at SCCA. If you doubt me, look at how my times changed through last year.

If I were you, while I really LOVE my Dunlop Direzza's, I would spend the money on an autocross school, or just have Brian Hair run the second run next time and see where and how he brakes, etc.

I wouldn't waste the time to write this if I thought you would be better off with the tires.

If you are still insistent on the tires, don't shave them. You want the tread to last. I went through 3/32" in one day at essentially a test an tune trying to compete with Brian with us both driving my car. I cannot tell you how much I learned. The tires were essentially shaved afterward, and I learned a lot more than I would having the Tire Rack melt them down.

Cheers,

Noel

adam
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Star Specs are excellent tires.. I have them on my Z4 in T2. But.. I would still recommend you do what Brian (Bimmer3) and Woody said in being introspective first with your driving style.

There are lots of books that cost less than the shipping on those tires, and you can film your runs too, with a $5 camera mount and digital camera so you can review them afterward and see some of the strengths and weaknesses of that particular day.

I had BF Goodrich KDW-2 tires last year, and while they were good and far from great, I learned a ridiculous amount from riding with people like Adam C., Brian Hair, and others not to mention reading, watching videos, and taking driving schools at SCCA. If you doubt me, look at how my times changed through last year.

If I were you, while I really LOVE my Dunlop Direzza's, I would spend the money on an autocross school, or just have Brian Hair run the second run next time and see where and how he brakes, etc.

I wouldn't waste the time to write this if I thought you would be better off with the tires.

If you are still insistent on the tires, don't shave them. You want the tread to last. I went through 3/32" in one day at essentially a test an tune trying to compete with Brian with us both driving my car. I cannot tell you how much I learned. The tires were essentially shaved afterward, and I learned a lot more than I would having the Tire Rack melt them down.

Cheers,

Noel

Thanks for the kind words! There are others that you didn't mention that are better than me though =)

For the record, I am running kumho SPTs because I'm on a budget. Otherwise, Direzza star specs or the kumho xs would be my tire choice.

Hope everyone had a blast at the event and are looking forward to the next one!

-- Adam

Pete
06-16-2009, 09:54 AM
My advice is keep the car the same as there is much to learn your first few seasons autocrossing. Often times, many novices will miss attribute over driving the car with understeer and try to dial that out with modifications. While you can improve the car with new tires and/or suspension changes, it will change the handling of the car and often times slow your learning curve down. This happens because adapting to changes will take a novice longer to get used to and as car guys, we have a tendency to focus on tweaking a car and not improving the driver.

If you think that you are driving to the limit of the car, have one of the more experienced guys/gals drive your car (like Brian H.). If they go faster in your car than you did, you have some more learning to do.

Keep in mind, as forgiving as the BMWs are, being smooth is the key to being fast, so by turning in to abruptly, causing too harsh weight transitions or braking and turning will cause the car to understeer or oversteer which costs you time.

At most, I would work on getting tire pressures correct to get the car consistent (getting a baseline pressure and adjusting so the car is neutral- as stated before pressures vary widely depending on the car you have and tires) and concentrate on driving.

Perfect case in point, I'm driving a almost stock 911 (Edit: forgot I have an exhaust which may provide 6hp) with no changes other than tire pressure adjustments. This is my second year driving it this way. I wanted to drive the car initially this way as to really get a command over the rear engine driving dynamics of the 911. For those of you who don't know my car history I had a modded to the hilt 911 that was amazing but was a very unruly and unforgiving car if you made mistakes. This one is a bit more forgiving but will still penalize you if you make mistakes but has less desire for the rear end to pass the front when you make those mistakes (mind you it will if you're not careful). The plan was once I get mastery of the car to build it up again (that may or may not happen in the future as I'm debating the merits of just moving up into a GT3 when the become more affordable but that's another story) The moral of the story is to learn the car first before you make changes as often times, there is a lot more to learn than you think. I'm still learning what I can and can't get away with in my car.

For an idea of setting pressures The factory recommended pressures for my car are 36 front and 44 rear. Because the factory recommends so much pressure in the rear, it causes the car to push as it has way too much rear grip. The way i resolve this issue is to run almost an non staggered setup at 36 cold all around to start and warm I run 38-39 front and 38 rear or slightly less depending on what the car is doing that day. Keep in mind this works me. To get a baseline, start out at 6-8 lbs over recommended spec and either chalk or carefully monitor the edge of your tires to see if you are rolling over and add air if rolling over. Once you have the tires at the point they are not rolling over then you can stagger pressures to help balance the car.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hope this helps,

Zcruizer
06-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Could you repeat that please ?
Something about buying a 911 will help my times......something like that.:biggrin:
Oh right, and keep it stock, I believe the phrase was "bone" stock.

Zcruizer
06-16-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry, that was "bone" stock w/ no changes.......

Just busting your bullets, I appreciate all this great advice and somehow try to put this information into my driving next month.

RedMS3
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow, lots of good advice following this last event.

It's very helpful to see people like noelleslie in the Z4 and Pete in the 911 talk about being patient with progression when they also run really fast times. Makes me want to put more emphasis on improving certain areas of driving to decrease times, rather than putting my foot to the floor and hope for the same results.

MazdaSC
06-16-2009, 12:57 PM
After seeing what Brian was able to do with the M3 in the fun runs I would certainly like him or Pete to take me for a ride in my car. Noel and I are usually very close in time, but I feel like he is a better more experienced driver and my car is just easier to drive, so getting him behind the wheel would also tell me agreat deal about what I can do better.

noelleslie
06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
After seeing what Brian was able to do with the M3 in the fun runs I would certainly like him or Pete to take me for a ride in my car. Noel and I are usually very close in time, but I feel like he is a better more experienced driver and my car is just easier to drive, so getting him behind the wheel would also tell me a great deal about what I can do better.

MazdaSC, when you said we are always close in times, I had to look up who you were. :) Now I know.

".. he is more experienced..." Yeah right!! You were being gentle with the statement "close in times" since we both know it means you (always or is it with the exception of maybe one distant event?) are better. Or, no... actually it is that your Mazda has about 55 hp less than mine and would be CSP or CS in SCCA to my AS? Even a tie, which I think we came very close to many times, would mean you are the better driver. That other dude in the blue S2000 is always there too +/- a second. Wish he recorded his stuff so I could see what he does.

I would be cool to drive your car, but only if you drive mine too. I have no doubt you are better. I saw your video... the only thing I have going for me is the the racing gloves so that in case I am in a horrible fuel-filled accident my hands are in good shape :). Other than that, you easily have me by half a second to a second and a half every time.

I thought you might have been Sadao at first since I (we) have been pulling away from him after being neck in neck forever. With him, I think it is because he is very busy. I think you me and Brian had the best times for our classification at the Mazda, ten runs, eat up your tires event :)

I never do my best at Summit Point because it is slippery even when dry and I haven't learned to adapt, so maybe at another event we can swap cars for a run.

Also, Woody is getting some Direzza's and I need an excuse, but it is true.

bmw_matt
06-16-2009, 07:15 PM
*excitedly waiting for pix*

MazdaSC
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I think that swapping cars would certainly clear up some things, Sadao and I have been wanting to do the same thing, so maybe we should volunteer for tech, try some ride alongs and swap cars on the fun runs. My car is fairly mild as far as mods, but just about everything on the suspension has been upgraded and I have dialed out most of the understeer, so even though you certainly have the edge in power I can carry more speed without plowing which is where I feel like I am getting you. In your videos you seemed much more composed through the slalom where I was almost out of control. Brian and I ran about the same time at the Mazda club in your car as I did and I am sure he could easily put close to a second on me in my car after seeing what he did in Bogdan's car this past weekend, I guess we need to see if we can get Brian behind the wheel of my car and see whats what.
P.S. .050 seconds is pretty close.lol

Car54
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Here's some interesting comparo (same event/same car/different driver) and a dose of humble pie for me.

Brian Hair in my car:

http://www.vimeo.com/2152810

Me in my car:

http://www.vimeo.com/2075559

My best time: 59.4s
Brian's best time: 56s

Brian took 1st, I took 4th out of 7.

Here's something interesting I did when co-driving with Woody, in his car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlZspASV6I

Sharing your car is very beneficial...but be prepared to lose!

KatieT
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
*excitedly waiting for pix*They're coming. I managed to sort through all of them tonight and divided them up better this time (too many pics for only two folders). Bad news is I can't figure out how to upload them from this computer so Jonathan will have to do it tomorrow night. I can say that I got pics of everyone this time (the number of cars matches the number of people registered). Once they're up I wish you luck finding yourself!

~Katie

bmw_matt
06-16-2009, 11:07 PM
They're coming. I managed to sort through all of them tonight and divided them up better this time (too many pics for only two folders). Bad news is I can't figure out how to upload them from this computer so Jonathan will have to do it tomorrow night. I can say that I got pics of everyone this time (the number of cars matches the number of people registered). Once they're up I wish you luck finding yourself!

~Katie
Woot, thanks. *Excited*

mcoupemindy
06-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Photos are uploaded!!!

Please visit: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=59&Itemid=175

If you enjoy the pictures provided, we ask that you consider a small donation to offset our current and future equipment needs. You can PM KatieT to get donation information.

Thanks!

(p.s. Feel free to picture comments in Picasa. Everyone loves reading your comments!)

RedGT
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the pics, Katie!

(I had no idea I spend so much time three-wheeling. Stupid stock class spring restrictions.)

thesixerkid
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks Jonathan!

Sammyzuko
06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the pics, Katie!

(I had no idea I spend so much time three-wheeling. Stupid stock class spring restrictions.)
The car looked quick, but you were on three wheels at nearly every turn....lol. It blew my mind to see a car moving, yet one wheel not spinning:biggrin:. Nice car btw.

iamsam
06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Thank you Katie!!! awesome pictures!!!

And now for a question: How do i best reduce this body roll? I am on H&R Race springs and Billy sports currently. Do i need fatter swaybars, or stiffer suspension?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QFvx7WN3hHk/SjjgUw_zHUI/AAAAAAAAFYY/ccgGMBgZZzg/s576/DSC_1864.jpg

mcoupemindy
06-17-2009, 10:52 AM

And now for a question: How do i best reduce this body roll? I am on H&R Race springs and Billy sports currently. Do i need fatter swaybars, or stiffer suspension?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QFvx7WN3hHk/SjjgUw_zHUI/AAAAAAAAFYY/ccgGMBgZZzg/s576/DSC_1864.jpg

Stiffer sways and springs will reduce the body roll. However, reducing the bodyroll in the e30, e36/7, or e36/8 chassis will typically reduce rear wheel grip.

iamsam
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Stiffer sways and springs will reduce the body roll. However, reducing the bodyroll in the e30, e36/7, or e36/8 chassis will typically reduce rear wheel grip.

reducing rear wheel grip is very very good. At the moment i have way too much rear wheel grip and way too little front wheel grip, you can hear me griping about my front wheel plowing all over this forum :tongue:.

Thanks for the input!

bmw_matt
06-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Sway's most definately to start out with. I have hotchkis and they really decrease the body roll, and then if you want more, coilovers :cool:

And thank you, Katie. The pix rock!

Reach
06-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks again Katie! Love all of the shots, especially the ones of me :) :)

mcoupemindy
07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
For those who requested, I've updated the results.

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=55&Itemid=168