PDA

View Full Version : Oil level problem in E90

Ethan Blank
04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
My 2007 335i reported a problem with the oil level today. 5 Minutes into my drive home from work, it flashes a message that there is less than 1qt of oil left, I should turn the engine off immediately.

I didn't see any evidence of an oil leak, but given the fact that this car doesn't have a dipstick, I couldn't verify the oil level.

I called Joe Diss, my SA at Tischer, and he said to call the 800 number for BMW and have them tow it to Tischer.

Has anyone else had anything like this? I'm guessing it's a sensor or an electrical problem, since there seemed to be no evidence of any oil leak.

pseto
04-29-2009, 08:42 PM
i havent heard of an epidemic of bad oil sensors on any e90s, but i have had a bad gasket and oil leak. had it fixed under warranty and hopefully yours into a major problem

Ethan Blank
04-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks, Paul.

I'm actually hoping its a mechanical problem, because a computer/electrical issue is the last thing I want.

I had been planning to buy the car out of the lease, but if there are electrical/computer issues, I may return it and get another 335.

I haven't heard yet from Tischer, I'll see what they have to say today.

Ethan Blank
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Just heard from Tischer.

Oil level was full, no loss whatsoever.

No computer log of the code, no oil sensor problem, no evidence that this code ever happened.

Did I dream it?

This is what I feared, an intermittent glitch that can't be traced or cured.

Sounds like this car might be returning to BMW on lease expiry....

bimmernupe
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Just heard from Tischer.

Oil level was full, no loss whatsoever.

No computer log of the code, no oil sensor problem, no evidence that this code ever happened.

Did I dream it?

This is what I feared, an intermittent glitch that can't be traced or cured.

Sounds like this car might be returning to BMW on lease expiry....

No you are not dreaming. Se my post here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354221

I use Stephen @<hidden> Passport as my SA and David is my tech

Ethan Blank
04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
While I'm glad I'm not imagining things, there are two sources of frustration here:

1. The intermittent electronic malfunction, and
2. The damned dipstick problem.

Had I had a dipstick, I would have been able to satisfy myself that by driving I wasn't risking the motor.

The electrical problem is a bigger concern, particularly on a car where so much in controlled electronically.

From your post, it sounds like this problem will be with me again (I have approx. 20k miles on my '07).

I just hope that, since it appears to be the electrical system crying "wolf", if I ignore it and there happens to really be an oil leak, I don't damage the motor!