PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Tires Uneven Wear

ddgrandy
04-08-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm posting for a friend , potentially member. He has an X5 with Dunlop 20 inch tires, with 27,000 miles with uneven wear. Back tires wear on inside on thread, front tires uneven wear on outside of thread. Dealer says it's not an alignment issue, possibly the tires. Anyone with previous experience or any suggestions.

pseto
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
i can understand the rears wearing on the inside b/c of negative camber (not sure why the fronts arent the same); thats normal unless he's running something like -5

you can always reduce the neg camber, but its set that way for better handling. since this sounds normal, you can always tell him to drive faster around corners :)

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
The X5 has a lot of rear negative camber because it has a bit of a snap oversteer handling problem. Wearing the insides of the rears is normal.

Wear on the outside in front is not normal, unless your friend autoxes and/or tracks his X5. (Which is unlikely, but I've seen both...) If it's not an alignment issue per se, it's probably a bushing/ball joint issue.

ddgrandy
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The X5 was purchased new, currently with only 27,000 miles, if the tires are in fact defective, is the dealer responsible for some sort of prorated credit towards new tires?

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
The X5 was purchased new, currently with only 27,000 miles, if the tires are in fact defective, is the dealer responsible for some sort of prorated credit towards new tires?
1) The tires are not defective.
2) No.
3) 27,000 miles is reasonable wear.

pseto
04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
i have 20" rims on my x5 too and i can tell you that those tires dont last long regardless of whatever Dunlop product line. if they are high-performance summer tires like mine, getting 27k is actually stretching the limit IMO. i'm sure they are pretty loud too. if they are all-season, 27k is probably on the other side of 50%.

you can also check x5world. i'm over there quite a bit and i've never heard of the front wearing on the outside AND the rears wearing on the inside.

Munchenman2
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Not sure why your friend is complaining...27K is past the point that the tires should have been replaced, unless the driving style is extremely sedate.

If the dealer purchase was recent, I'd speak with the general manager and request at least 50% reimbursement - half his fault and half my fault.

just my tuppence...

Alan :tongue:
DIYCom

ddgrandy
04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks, and this is the reason why joining this group has been a plus, I'm used to tires lasting a minimum of 50k obviously these tires on this car don't, we had no idea. So this is all very informative. Thanks