PDA

View Full Version : Bad rear bearing??? Repair shop recommendation in Reston/Vienna

gmufiji12
03-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Hello all, my E36 sounds like it has a bad left rear wheel bearing. Any recommendations on where I can have it fixed.

Thanks,

Kevin

mcoupemindy
03-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Hello all, my E36 sounds like it has a bad left rear wheel bearing. Any recommendations on where I can have it fixed.

Thanks,

Kevin

It's not really close, however, RRT is top notch service in the area. They did wheel bearings on my old 328is and I was completely satisfied.

Car54
03-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Reston to Sterling is like 5 miles?

roadracetech.com

mcoupemindy
03-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Reston to Sterling is like 5 miles?

roadracetech.com

Yeah, from some parts - but from other parts, it's 10-15 mi.

Did you buy a plane that I don't know about to achieve these straight line results?

gmufiji12
03-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Do you remember how much it cost you to replace the bearings? Also, do you think I am doing any additional damage driving around on it this week. It's driving me crazy...

BTW, I went to RRT for a DIY. I was very impressed with the facility and the staff.

Thanks,

Kevin

mcoupemindy
03-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Do you remember how much it cost you to replace the bearings? Also, do you think I am doing any additional damage driving around on it this week. It's driving me crazy...

BTW, I went to RRT for a DIY. I was very impressed with the facility and the staff.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

If I remember correctly it was 3-4 hours labor plus parts per side. You should get both sides done at the same time.

I don't think that there should be any additional damage, but I'm not an expert with wheel bearings.

Jenson Button
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Kevin,

If I remember correctly it was 3-4 hours labor plus parts per side. You should get both sides done at the same time.

I don't think that there should be any additional damage, but I'm not an expert with wheel bearings.

I respectfully disagree about replacing both sides. I have replaced both passenger side bearings on Vader, but not needed either drivers side replaced yet. I replaced the front one about 8 years ago! The rear can be a DIY project (I have a write up in that area) but it is not exactly an easy job and it requires a press.

Also, bearings usually die fairly slow deaths with lots of groaning. Unless it is groaning full time and, you should be OK for a couple of days.

mcoupemindy
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I respectfully disagree about replacing both sides. I have replaced both passenger side bearings on Vader, but not needed either drivers side replaced yet. I replaced the front one about 8 years ago! The rear can be a DIY project (I have a write up in that area) but it is not exactly an easy job and it requires a press.

Also, bearings usually die fairly slow deaths with lots of groaning. Unless it is groaning full time and, you should be OK for a couple of days.

I prefer to have my suspension and drivetrain in equal condition on both sides of the car ...

Jenson Button
03-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I prefer to have my suspension and drivetrain in equal condition on both sides of the car ...

So if you get a nail in one tire, do you patch both tires on that axle? ;o)

mcoupemindy
03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
So if you get a nail in one tire, do you patch both tires on that axle? ;o)

I just run over a nail with the other ... problem solved.

... then I justify to the wife why I need another set of tires.

bimmer325imt
03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
As the old say'n goes if you replace one you might replace the other. At the last DIY I replaced the driver-side tie rode assembly. Should I have replace the other side too? Well I could have but I didn't.