PDA

View Full Version : Moulded Floor carpet for Euro 635 CSI

KEO635CSIEuro
02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
I am currently doing a full restoration on my fathers 1981 Euro Spec 635 it has sat since he passed in 2000, I have been looking for replacement carpet on the web, It seems at this point to be impossible to find, If anyone might have an idea where to locate it I would appreciate it, I will also need other parts along the way I am sure, So if you know of a reputable parts supplier please let me know. and any other tips i might need.
Thanks

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
A quick google search seems to basically say that you have two choices: E28 carpet apparently *almost* fits and is more readily available, or you get one custom made.

How bad is the existing carpet? Is it a cleaning issue, or is it just destroyed?

KEO635CSIEuro
02-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh its bad car has been in a Garage for 8 years I t was already pretty much torn out

John in VA
02-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't know if they carry a carpet set for the E24, but GAHH or World Upholstery in California have some of the best carpet available for BMWs.
There are some vendors in the GA carpet mill area that have molded sets (for my '74 2002tii) but I've not seen them in person. What I've seen online is plush or acrylic. I'll have to dig for their info, but I work in Purcellville, so come on by!

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't know if they carry a carpet set for the E24, but GAHH or World Upholstery in California have some of the best carpet available for BMWs.
There are some vendors in the GA carpet mill area that have molded sets (for my '74 2002tii) but I've not seen them in person. What I've seen online is plush or acrylic. I'll have to dig for their info, but I work in Purcellville, so come on by!
World Upholstery is apparently regarded as complete and utter crap in the E24 world.

John in VA
02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
World Upholstery is apparently regarded as complete and utter crap in the E24 world.

Interesting... They have the goods for the "classic" cars - multi-color, square-weave German wool, etc. I've not had to replace the velour-type carpet in my E28 or E30.
I figure you'll get the scoop from one of the E24 forums.

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Apparently, it's some ridiculous arrangement that you put *over* your existing carpet that does not fit well. I've never quite understood why people make crap like that.

KEO635CSIEuro
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I talked with them yesterday actually and the man who made the mould useing an existing car didnt remove the old carpet there fore it doesnt fit right, thats the story i got over the phone,

Coupenut
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I looked into this for my 84 euro a couple of years ago. I spoke with a number of upholstery shops and the story was that "the molded carpet for the E24 is unobtainium"; so also is an exact material match. I was told that with an experienced installer using a quality carpet the difference between moulded and unmoulded is not noticeable.

onboost
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
"the molded carpet for the E24 is unobtainium"; so also is an exact material match. I was told that with an experienced installer using a quality carpet the difference between moulded and unmoulded is not noticeable.

You are correct on both counts regarding an exact match and a molded kit being unavailable. I doubt though if even the experienced installer will match the same look as factory molded. There wil always be separations in the carpet simply for fit. Some kits will bind these areas. Other kits are supplied with a larger cut to allow for some overlap for a "flush look".

I have acces through a friend to a company that produces very nice kits in a variety of materials. I have personally used them in a number of restorations. If interested, I will check and provide you with a price.

Paul

KEO635CSIEuro
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Yes please do any information to start with at this point would be great,

ronierogers
12-09-2011, 02:45 AM

Wow! looks like this thread is still useful. im just gonna be getting bmw carpets from world upholstery. well so sorry for digging up this thread guys. this will be better than making again same old questions. anyway do you guys have something better than world upholstery? or they are already the best? :confused: i found out this one for bmw carpets (http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Carpet/BMW)

John in VA
12-09-2011, 08:30 AM
All carpet sets need a little fiddling to get them to fit properly. What car are you working on?
You can get carpet samples from the various vendors to find what you like, but you'll still have to be concerned about the fit. Some other vendors:
http://www.gahh.com/store.php?search_for=Carpets
http://www.globalupholstery.com/
http://www.veteranco.com/productindex.html

davidkotok
01-05-2012, 08:32 AM
I just got digitalfit floorliners for my e92 - at the moment they dont seem to make them for old 6's however they do have a place where you can request products, and its worth a shot.

http://www.weathertech.com/product-education-center/floorliner-digitalfit/

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I just got digitalfit floorliners for my e92 - at the moment they dont seem to make them for old 6's however they do have a place where you can request products, and its worth a shot.

http://www.weathertech.com/product-education-center/floorliner-digitalfit/

Uh, you do realize that that is completely irrelevant, right?

davidkotok
01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Uh, you realize your comment was less constructive than mine was right?

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Uh, you realize your comment was less constructive than mine was right?

I'm trying to understand how you think that your floor mats are relevant in a thread about replacing carpet? Please explain how wasting people's time with a link to an outside site that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand is constructive.

davidkotok
01-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Nick, sorry we got off on the wrong foot - a floor liner that is measured with laser accuracy seemed relevant.