PDA

View Full Version : NCC DIY Program Special Tools

Munchenman2
02-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Folks,

Last year the DIY Committee established a Special Tools program, headed by Tony McMullan. We budgeted 2008 funds and bought several useful Special Tools, and are in the process of expanding our program in 2009. You soon should see an article on our Special Tools program, both on our DIY website and in der Bayerische.

In meantime, we direct your attention to our DIY website's "DIY - General Information", in which we clearly state that our Spercial Tools may be rented ONLY at our DIYs. There are many sensible reasons for this, and this policy is unanimous and non-negotiable.

We encourage our members to plan ahead and let Tony McMullan or me know about using any Special Tool - one we currently have or a new one to consider buying.

Thanks for your continuing interest and support.

Alan :tongue:
DIY program chair

woodym3
02-15-2009, 09:32 PM
It seems silly not to have the specialty tool available for members' use between formal DIYs. Maybe if a significant deposit was put down?

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-15-2009, 09:51 PM
No kidding. Take a deposit for full value of the tool to rent it out.

orb0554
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
These tools were purchased for use by club members at DIY events. The tools must always be available for the DIY events days. If the tool were to be rented outside the DIY event day, there is always the provability that the tool may not be available for the DIY event; especially if an unforeseen issue is encountered. This would also place a logistics burden on administrating such a plan.

Thank you for your continued support of the DIY program, Oscar.

pseto
02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
said tool was used this past weekend on my car at the DIY and it went very smoothly. great idea from the DIY committee and very beneficial to club members. i'd highly recommend that you plan to use the tool at the next DIY (check to see when registration opens b/c these events tend to fill up way in advance).

Zchild
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Gents, the agreement between The BOD and The DIY Committee is that all special tools would only be used at DIY's. In the past the club's special tools program history was abismal in that we lost every tool the club purchased, including a few computers that were club purchased. The only way the BOD would allow a special tools program to be revamped is if it provided certain provisions which included the use and safe guard of all tools by The DIY Committee with NO EXCEPTIONS. Thank you for your understanding.

JC5
02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
How about a member to member loaner program? I'm about to purchase double vanos timing tools, and would loan them out with a deposit.

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
How about a member to member loaner program? I'm about to purchase double vanos timing tools, and would loan them out with a deposit.
If you want, I've already got them.

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Gents, the agreement between The BOD and The DIY Committee is that all special tools would only be used at DIY's. In the past the club's special tools program history was abismal in that we lost every tool the club purchased, including a few computers that were club purchased. The only way the BOD would allow a special tools program to be revamped is if it provided certain provisions which included the use and safe guard of all tools by The DIY Committee with NO EXCEPTIONS. Thank you for your understanding.
Why this couldn't be managed with a 100% deposit requirement is absolutely beyond me.

I hear you, but disagree very strongly. Special tools lose 90% of their value if they can only be used under certain very rare and restricted circumstances.

Swooper
02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Why this couldn't be managed with a 100% deposit requirement is absolutely beyond me.

I hear you, but disagree very strongly. Special tools lose 90% of their value if they can only be used under certain very rare and restricted circumstances.

The DIY's are great events that I believe add value to the use of the tools. At the DIY's you have the use of a lift, experienced mechanics, and fellow BMW enthusiasts to assist. Also, I would not say that the DIY's are rare. They are held once a month and we have two scheduled for some months.

Swooper
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM

In addition to losing the tools, we also need to be concerned about tool breaking or wearing out prematurely due to misuse. At the DIY's, we can ensure that the tools are used properly.

1996 328ti
02-17-2009, 08:29 PM
In addition to losing the tools, we also need to be concerned about tool breaking or wearing out prematurely due to misuse. At the DIY's, we can ensure that the tools are used properly.I don't say to change your policy, but give members a little more credit please. After all, it is their money too.

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-18-2009, 11:13 AM
In addition to losing the tools, we also need to be concerned about tool breaking or wearing out prematurely due to misuse. At the DIY's, we can ensure that the tools are used properly.

Isn't that what the deposit is for?

Jenson Button
02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, I feel so trusted.

How hard is it to collect a deposit and/or have a sign out sheet? Borrowers are responsible to have a tool replaced before some date (like the next DIY) event.

Please remember that some members are a bit further afield and yet still are active DIYers.

Zchild
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
:confused: Is there a proposal coming forth to the Board of Directors meeting to establish an NCC Special Tools Program, not related to the DIY committee's special tools program that a member of the club is willing to Chair and manage. Manage: meaning; collect revenue, store tools, re-supply worn out tools, deliver tools and collect tools. The chapter relies on volunteers to manage programs. The Board of Director's needs a proposal presented at a BOD meeting. BOD meetings are held evey second Wednesday at 7:00PM. Who's up for the task?

Leghorn
03-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Alan,

I'm scheduled to change motor oil at the DIY on March 14 at CCC. Do I need to do any more than ask to "rent" the Peake Reset Tool? (Hopefully, this question is in the correct topic area.) Thanks.

Al

Zchild
03-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Alan,

I'm scheduled to change motor oil at the DIY on March 14 at CCC. Do I need to do any more than ask to "rent" the Peake Reset Tool? (Hopefully, this question is in the correct topic area.) Thanks.

Al
:biggrin: Leghorn, we don't charge money for the use of the Peake tools, we usually ask for a Driver's license or other ID to insure we get the tool returned after use. We only ask for a desposit on the higher end tools within the DIY portfolio, see you at Convenience.

TimInNOVA
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Alan,

I need a special tool for the upcoming DIY #12. How can I get in touch with Tony McMullan?

The tool I need is for replacing the rear swing arm ball joints in my E39 M5, however the tool also works for E38, E52, E53, E60, E61, E63, E64, E65, and E66 as well.