PDA

View Full Version : 2001 330Ci Spark Plug Change

330Coupe
12-29-2004, 07:44 PM
A local dealer's shop gave me a quote of $264.00 to change my spark plugs. I just purchased the car with 62K miles on it. I haven't attempted a spark plug change on an E46 yet. I've done a few E36's with no problem. The quote seems REALLY high.

Has anyone done this? Glancing under the hood, the job looks very simple, but for the price quoted, I'm wondering if there are any potential pitfalls I need to know about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

John in VA
03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65380

Sorry - saw this among the "similar threads" links at the bottom of the page, but didn't note the date of original post!

mcoupemindy
03-07-2009, 01:46 AM
It's a pretty straightforward job ... easily DIY'able.

JC5
03-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Just the usual stuff. Use anti seize on the threads, torque properly, don't cross thread...

Check for oil around plugs. The valve cover gaskets are prone to leak around the spark plugs with the M54 (which I think you have, or a generation of).

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Just the usual stuff. Use anti seize on the threads, torque properly, don't cross thread...

Check for oil around plugs. The valve cover gaskets are prone to leak around the spark plugs with the M54 (which I think you have, or a generation of).
BMW explicitly states that you are NOT to use antiseize. Anti-seize increases the tightness for a given torque value, which makes thread failure more likely. Especially in the butter soft aluminum M54 head.

JC5
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
BMW explicitly states that you are NOT to use antiseize. Anti-seize increases the tightness for a given torque value, which makes thread failure more likely. Especially in the butter soft aluminum M54 head.

Hmmm... now that's odd the Bentley manual states to uses a copper-based anit-seize compound, start threading the plugs by hand, torque to 18 ft-lbs

Maybe it's a miss print

martinj
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM

this applies to all engines? (s52)

hey nick, i think you came to my house once and looked at the 87 325is I had for sale. you had a xi wagon right?

Bob
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Hmmm... now that's odd the Bentley manual states to uses a copper-based anit-seize compound, start threading the plugs by hand, torque to 18 ft-lbs

Maybe it's a miss print

Odd? thats ridiculous! dry aluminum threads are usually WHY they strip! Just torque them less! actually not a big deal, since plugs are rarely changed anymore, lessening thread wear.