PDA

View Full Version : Wheel is tough to dislodge

Fred
12-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Took OEM 19" wheels off car to replace with winter tires and wheels. Really struggled getting the back wheels off as there appears to be some corrosion/rust around the flange that centers wheel. Any suggestions for preventing the problem in the future? What about applying vasoline or some like grease around the flange with each wheel change? My wife's Volvo wagon has the same issue.

Thanks

1996 328ti
12-27-2004, 10:25 PM
I always have a problem removing my steel wheels when switching over to my summer tires. This time I coated the wheel where it touches the hub with antiseize compound. I'll see if it helped come March.

John in VA
01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
A dab of anti-seize around the wheel bore and on the hub should do the trick.
To remove a stubborn wheel, try to attack it from the opposite side with a long 2x4, striking the inside of the offending tire.

Real M3
01-06-2005, 04:02 PM
I concur with the anti-seize recommendation. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem once I started it. Also, I keep a BFH, rubber type, to help remove the wheels that are stubborn. Cuople of taps and they just jump off and hit you in the face!:D

adolenc
01-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Anti seize works (BTDT with the stuck wheels. Use a BFH and some wood), but be sure to take a steel brush to the hub and the backside of the wheel, clean off all the corrosion.

I also put a tiny dab of anti seize on the lug bolts as well, had some of those corrode a bit and come off with great difficulty.