PDA

View Full Version : Honda to Sell F1 Team

Scotty
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&id=44706

Bad timing for Button. Although it's a surprise, Honda has been sucking wind ever since they bought BAR. The 2007 season was an unmitigated disaster and 2008 wasn't much better.

Biggins
12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Paving the way for Honda in NASCAR??? ...or maybe just freeing up more money for their IndyCar backing... or they don't care for the direction F1 is headed?

Bob
12-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Paving the way for Honda in NASCAR??? ...or maybe just freeing up more money for their IndyCar backing... or they don't care for the direction F1 is headed?

FWD in NASCAR?, I guess it'll be ok, the Camry does ok!, or they could run an S2000.

slantsixm3
12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree, probably a good decision for Honda. While there is very real name recognition to be had in F1, they have struggled mightily to be even mid-pack, as has Toyota (their main rival) till the end of '08. They were already behind the curve, and the extensive technical rule changes for '09 would probably just make it worse.
In addition, the loss of the 2 American events means there is less name-placement to be gained in their largest market. I read often how other street-car manufacturers in F1 are very unhappy about this as well. How many people in Bejing are going to by BMW's?? A few, sure, but nothing compared to the U.S.
I think the Pacific asian countries are getting huge (huge!) government backing for these venues and events to get the national recognition the politicians lust after.

Favorite Rubins quasi-quote from 2008, I think. Something like:
"Our car is quite amazing. It's amazing in that we never thought a car could be this bad...":eek:

slantsixm3
12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh, and bye the way, no problem for Honda to get into Nascar. No car in Nascar has had much to do with a production vehicle for about 20 years, and with the advent of the C.O.T, absolutely no connection to a production vehicle. After all, this is STOCK CAR racing!

woodym3
12-15-2008, 05:32 PM
How many people in Bejing are going to by BMW's?? A few, sure, but nothing compared to the U.S.

I think BMW considers China a huge potential market. Didn't they establish an assembly plant in China a few years ago?