PDA

View Full Version : December DIY: M50 conversion too much?

gbauer
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Just curious as I know a few of you have done the conversion already. I have the M50 kit and manifold and I was already planning on doing it on the 13th anyway so if any of you who have done it are going to be around, I figure what the heck? I can hack up the new manifold (trimming the boss) before I get there if it'll help. I have no problem doing the work myself but it would be nice to have people around who know the tricks to get it done quickly and correctly. Sound like a fun project?

I have a 1998 M roadster with a S52 engine.

pseto
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
i'll be there to distract you :D

mcoupemindy
12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Just curious as I know a few of you have done the conversion already. I have the M50 kit and manifold and I was already planning on doing it on the 13th anyway so if any of you who have done it are going to be around, I figure what the heck? I can hack up the new manifold (trimming the boss) before I get there if it'll help. I have no problem doing the work myself but it would be nice to have people around who know the tricks to get it done quickly and correctly. Sound like a fun project?

I have a 1998 M roadster with a S52 engine.

I'll be there, but I have my own set of problems to worry about.

Which kit are you going to use, or are you putting a kit together yourself?

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
The good news is that you don't even want a lift for this one, so there's no reason why you can't get it done at a DIY. Bring an electric impact wrench for removing nuts and bolts. It can save a LOT of time. Just remember to only use it for removing them. :p

gbauer
12-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I'll be there, but I have my own set of problems to worry about.

Which kit are you going to use, or are you putting a kit together yourself?
I bought the kit from M50manifold.com including the M50 fuel rail cover. Should be complete. I want to do a before-after dyno as well. I know a place that'll dyno for around $75 for three pulls (maybe can get for less as he's a BMW owner as well) and, from what I hear, tuning for $150ish. I plan on getting the baseline done next week and the tune after the 13th with the M50.

Side question: a lot of e36 guys de-baffle their intake filter box. I know it would be more "permanent" to do it in a roadster, but you know anyone who has? Any gains or just good for more noise?

Whatcha workin' on?

gbauer
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
i'll be there to distract you :D
You bringing the God's Chariot v. 2.02 (topless version)? ...or that boring 335?

pseto
12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
You bringing the God's Chariot v. 2.02 (topless version)? ...or that boring 335?

i did the roady last month, so this month i'm bring the x5 and 335

mcoupemindy
12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I bought the kit from M50manifold.com including the M50 fuel rail cover. Should be complete. I want to do a before-after dyno as well. I know a place that'll dyno for around $75 for three pulls (maybe can get for less as he's a BMW owner as well) and, from what I hear, tuning for $150ish. I plan on getting the baseline done next week and the tune after the 13th with the M50.

Side question: a lot of e36 guys de-baffle their intake filter box. I know it would be more "permanent" to do it in a roadster, but you know anyone who has? Any gains or just good for more noise?

Whatcha workin' on?

I'll be respringing a friend's M3. Should be a great time --- not.

I might run home after that and pick up the M Coupe to toss in a new set of 02 sensors. Don't know if I'll have time.

I'm interested to see your kit as it's kinda pricey and want to see if I want to invest in it.

Check your PM.

gbauer
12-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I'll be respringing a friend's M3. Should be a great time --- not.

I might run home after that and pick up the M Coupe to toss in a new set of 02 sensors. Don't know if I'll have time.

I'm interested to see your kit as it's kinda pricey and want to see if I want to invest in it.

Check your PM.
PM replied to :biggrin: