PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Season

OwnedbyDuncan
11-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Can I offer a suggestion for the BOD. You may want to survey members and instructors to see how many will be participating in the 2009 Drivers' School season.

The economy may force both students and instructors to cut back in the number of schools they do or not do schools at all.

And I am sure BSR is going to increase the track rental prices.

Back in the early 90's during the last economic downtrun in this area if I remember correctly the number of students declined.

Dave Apker and the collies

woodym3
11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
The economy may force both students and instructors to cut back in the number of schools they do or not do schools at all.

This subject, and what we can do about it, is an agenda item for the Driving School Steering Committee meeting tomorrow night.

Dirichlet
11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
OBD, you're all doom and gloom today (including the post on the poor chap at Summit last week). This year I was only able to afford two schools. Next year I plan on at least six.

So, for the BOD, count me in for all four NCC school (and IA days) :D

roxstuff
11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
In my opinion an accurate reply to what has been a string of OBD negative messages this year. He has been trying to depress for months, I refuse to give in to them.

I too can be counted on for 3 of the two day Schools just like this year. And if invited the IA.

Economy aside, driving schools will prevail!!!!

dbonner
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
$2 a gallon for premium gasoline? That price has been unthinkable for years. This past weekend, I saw a Sheetz station in Warrenton, Va. selling premium gas at an eye-popping $1.93/gallon. It was outlandish to even think of such prices as recently as one or two months ago, when we were paying $4 per gallon (or nearly that) at the last Summit Point or VIR events of the season. While a 50% reduction in fuel cost doesn't pay for drivers school events, it does help reduce the cost to attend them (3 fillups at $35 per v. $70 per; you do the math). That offers some ray of hope for students and instructors looking ahead to the 2009 driving season.

woodym3
11-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I wonder if OBD is full of doom and gloom on the sheep herders' forum too.

My son paid $1.799 for premium in Woodbridge or Manassas this morning. I'm not expecting those prices to last into next driving season though.

TMB_540i
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I plan to do 2 or 3 of the NCC driving events this coming year; only one I am certain I will miss is the March school (assuming we have one like we have for the past 2 years). I will also be doing as many events as I can with Tarheel, NJ, Delaware Valley, and Genesee Valley Chapters as well. Track addicts unite - you know who you are!

OwnedbyDuncan
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
No Woody on Herding L and CCA Performance I am all smiles and the fing sun will come up tomorrow. You think things get heated between P car owners and Bimmer drivers man you aint seen nothing until someone bad mouths your breed.

I remember back in the early 90' when the economy was bad and our driers school didnt fill and in the mid 90's where the chapter was loosing money
on schools because they werent full.

Its easy for us single guys to decide where to spend our money but you know the wifey may say she wants a new pair of Jimmy Choos or two. Or the kids needs braces.

Check with the dealers in the area and see how many new cars they sold in the last four months compared to last year and 2006 and 2005.

Many people are employed by DOD contractors in this area and this engine helped keep the economy going at a great rate. You just arent going to see the same growth in spending in DOD in the next 8 years. And if this changes then things got real scary real fast.

Even some DC area big time law firms are laying off associates and telling partners who dont bring enough billable hours to take a hike.

My bro has worked for big accounting firms as an auditor for last 20 or years. He took a major pay cut of $20k to go work for NASA because he saw
the writing on the wall.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but I always like to plan for the worst and then have things go better than expected.

And Kate my my young collie girl got her first blue ribbon in Herding Trial Dog Sheep. We accomplished this as a team but she deserves all the credit and just take all the blame when we f up.

VA is known world wide for the quality of its herding dogs and trialers. The top finisher from the US in the world Sheepdog finals was from VA. tommy Wilson.

Woody an old codger like you should consider getting into herding. You resemble some of the old gray beards I see out there. Heck my herding instructor could be your long lost bro. See this link http://dawgwoodfarm.com Its a hell of lot more challenging than auto x or schools. And maybe you can get into a govt program and get some money from the taxpayers. Thats my goal for 09! Have the top 2% of taxpayers fund my trialing and if I can scam it a nice 30 acre spread out Culpeper.
Always wanted a Porsche tractor.

dbonner
11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Woody a sheepherder? Now that's something I have to see. I still think Woody's got a few more One Laps Across America ahead of him first. The blue ribbons for herding will have to wait. Bonbahn

No Woody on Herding L and CCA Performance I am all smiles and the fing sun will come up tomorrow. You think things get heated between P car owners and Bimmer drivers man you aint seen nothing until someone bad mouths your breed.

I remember back in the early 90' when the economy was bad and our driers school didnt fill and in the mid 90's where the chapter was loosing money
on schools because they werent full.

Its easy for us single guys to decide where to spend our money but you know the wifey may say she wants a new pair of Jimmy Choos or two. Or the kids needs braces.

Check with the dealers in the area and see how many new cars they sold in the last four months compared to last year and 2006 and 2005.

Many people are employed by DOD contractors in this area and this engine helped keep the economy going at a great rate. You just arent going to see the same growth in spending in DOD in the next 8 years. And if this changes then things got real scary real fast.

Even some DC area big time law firms are laying off associates and telling partners who dont bring enough billable hours to take a hike.

My bro has worked for big accounting firms as an auditor for last 20 or years. He took a major pay cut of $20k to go work for NASA because he saw
the writing on the wall.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but I always like to plan for the worst and then have things go better than expected.

And Kate my my young collie girl got her first blue ribbon in Herding Trial Dog Sheep. We accomplished this as a team but she deserves all the credit and just take all the blame when we f up.

VA is known world wide for the quality of its herding dogs and trialers. The top finisher from the US in the world Sheepdog finals was from VA. tommy Wilson.

Woody an old codger like you should consider getting into herding. You resemble some of the old gray beards I see out there. Heck my herding instructor could be your long lost bro. See this link http://dawgwoodfarm.com Its a hell of lot more challenging than auto x or schools. And maybe you can get into a govt program and get some money from the taxpayers. Thats my goal for 09! Have the top 2% of taxpayers fund my trialing and if I can scam it a nice 30 acre spread out Culpeper.
Always wanted a Porsche tractor.

Dirichlet
11-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Welp Dave, looks like you got your wish...

The grapevine has informed me that our club will only have three schools this year, with an additional skidpad event (on the new facility at S.P.).

This is dissapointing to me. But, with that said, if the club needs to change to this format to remain viable, I can fully understand.

Who wants to hit up Thunderbolt and/or VIR and/or W.G. with me :)

1996 328ti
11-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Welp Dave, looks like you got your wish...

The grapevine has informed me that our club will only have three schools this year, with an additional skidpad event (on the new facility at S.P.).

This is dissapointing to me. But, with that said, if the club needs to change to this format to remain viable, I can fully understand.

Who wants to hit up Thunderbolt and/or VIR and/or W.G. with me :)There are so many opportunities for DEs these days.

GVC's Sept/Oct school at the Glen is a nice time to go.
Hardly got to VIR this year. :(
There is also the trek to Mid-Ohio.

dbonner
11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Agreed, Steven. There are more DE events than you can shake a stick at. They are offered by so many car clubs, BMW, PCA, Audi, Mazda, not to mention TrackDaze, etc etc., that anyone with the time and resources will be replacing track tires every 6 months. :tongue: Even PCA made itself consistently open to other marques in the latter half of 2008, and was advertising on our website. :cool: I attended two of their events (1 in August and 1 in September), including one at Summit Main and a 3-day event at VIR Full. No instructors for advanced students, nor a skidpad (unlike BMW Schools) but they run a thorough tech inspection and have a fun but well run school at very reasonable prices. Happy Thanksgiving. Doug

There are so many opportunities for DEs these days.

Hardly got to VIR this year. :(
There is also the trek to Mid-Ohio.

woodym3
11-26-2008, 05:50 PM
There are so many opportunities for DEs these days.

It's a shame this Watkins Glen event conflicts with Petit Le Mans and Oktoberfest at Road Atlanta.

woodym3
11-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Even PCA made itself consistently open to other marques in the latter half of 2008, (snip) No instructors for advanced students, nor a skidpad Doug

Doesn't sound like much of a school to me. More like "lapping sessions".

1996 328ti
11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
It's a shame this Watkins Glen event conflicts with Petit Le Mans and Oktoberfest at Road Atlanta.Conflicts with Petit Le Mans, but I don't think WG. WG is the week earlier I believe.

Dirichlet
11-26-2008, 11:57 PM
There are so many opportunities for DEs these days...

I know, Steve. I was just looking forward to as many as possible with our club. :)

1996 328ti
11-27-2008, 06:51 AM
I know, Steve. I was just looking forward to as many as possible with our club. :)
There are a lot of nice tracks out there. ;)
Do the June BMW-Audi-MB school Thu-Fri and VIR.
Then stay for the following Mazda school on Sat-Sun.

TMB_540i
11-27-2008, 08:59 AM

I am in for the VIR dates, Watkins Glen in May (Genessee Valley) or July (DelVal), Thunderbolt, and even a little Summit Point action. Wouldn't be opposed to a Mid-Ohio road trip either! Maybe an ITS is in your future???

woodym3
11-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Who wants to hit up Thunderbolt and/or VIR and/or W.G. with me :)

In addition to the 3 events at Summit Point (one on each track) our chapter will be participating with the Mercedes and Audi Clubs in the Marque Madness event on the renown full course at VIR on Thursday and Friday, June 11-12.

1996 328ti
11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
http://www.mazdadrivers.com has their 2009 schedule posted.
June 13-14 Grand East

fpol
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
In addition to the 3 events at Summit Point (one on each track) our chapter will be participating with the Mercedes and Audi Clubs in the Marque Madness event on the renown full course at VIR on Thursday and Friday, June 11-12.

Good to hear that MM is back - there was a big hole in my June schedule this year. Never get to stay for the Mazda Drivers though since Le Mans is that weekend and it's just too much coverage for the DVR.

woodym3
12-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Registration for Marque Madness should be available some time in February.

davitaia
01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey guys newbee question here, is there any track out there that just lets you do some lops without DE event? Track, where you just pay and go for lops.

1996 328ti
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey guys newbee question here, is there any track out there that just lets you do some lops without DE event? Track, where you just pay and go for lops.Without an instructor or prior experience with a sign off? Not that I know of.

mcoupemindy
01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey guys newbee question here, is there any track out there that just lets you do some lops without DE event? Track, where you just pay and go for lops.

That just sounds scary ... very scary.

1996 328ti
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
That just sounds scary ... very scary.I hear it all the time at work. Usually there is also a, how fast can I go question. Last guy who called was an M5 driver who wanted to know if we used runways. :eek:
No, that would be in Florida.

davitaia
01-04-2009, 11:04 PM
How about verts, are they allowed in driving schools or autox?

mcoupemindy
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
How about verts, are they allowed in driving schools or autox?

Convertibles are fine for autocross! I suggest if you have little or no autocross experience, that you plan on attending our annual school.

More information here: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=25

Calendar of events here: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=categoryevents&id=7&Itemid=26

davitaia
01-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks, I'll be there.

1996 328ti
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
How about verts, are they allowed in driving schools or autox?Some tracks require rollbars. You would need to check with them.
All BMW CCA schools require rollbars. Chapters have the option not to allow convertibles. NCC does not, as well as several others. You would need to check with other clubs and driving schools regarding convertibles.

woodym3
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM

AllsportsGP in Sterling is your best bet. It would be pretty irresponsible for a track, or an organization that rents a track, to let someone loose to do "lops" without knowing they have the proper experience.

I do remember in 1989, at the end of a ski trip in Colorado, I had tons of time before needing to check in at Stapleton Airport. I drove to the nearby Second Creek Raceway, and knocked on the door of what appeared to be the track office. Turns out it was the manager's house too. I explained to the wife that I was returning that summer for the BMW Club's Oktoberfest and would like to do a few laps. She said her husband was away, but thought he wouldn't mind.

Unfortunately the Plymouth Sundance rental car couldn't get out of its own way, especially with my son as passenger, luggage in the trunk, and skis on the roof rack. (We timed it 0 to 60 in about 19 seconds.) That summer my instructor was impressed with how easily this Virginian picked up the line.

profbooty
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Without an instructor or prior experience with a sign off? Not that I know of.

Nurburgring?

mcoupemindy
01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Nurburgring?

Kinda a far drive from the states.

tenfifteen
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately the Plymouth Sundance rental car couldn't get out of its own way, especially with my son as passenger, luggage in the trunk, and skis on the roof rack. (We timed it 0 to 60 in about 19 seconds.) That summer my instructor was impressed with how easily this Virginian picked up the line.
LMAO. Good stuff.

Can't wait to get out there this year!