PDA

View Full Version : No Formula 1 in North America in 2009

Biggins
10-07-2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8483.html

I guess it's too expensive to come to North America now?!?!? :rolleyes:

I wonder if any of the manufacturers will move to another series. I know F1 isn't big bucks on this side of the world, but I know people still follow it.

This should be a big chance for IndyCar and ALMS to snatch more fans as F1 seems to become more and more irrelevant over here.

woodym3
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
They threatened cancelation of the Montreal race a few years ago and the city and fan demand got it back on the schedule.

Scany
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
It's a shame and very strange I think. I enjoy watching the racing in other series, but I like F1 because of the technology involved. As far as I know, no other racing series have that amount of technology and development and what comes with it.

Scotty
10-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope this is just another episode of "Bernie's Brinksmanship". I despise that man's stranglehold on F1 commercial interests - especially considering he doesn't even own a majority stake in FOM anymore!

Amusing digression: FOM is part of the Formula One Group now.... FOG. How appropriate. :biggrin:

Anyway, I hope they at least get Canada back on the calendar. I have hotel reservations and a ticket order! :icon_shak

Pulak
10-10-2008, 12:20 AM
I went to the 2007 GP in Montreal....was an amazing time! This is kinda ridiculous.

woodym3
10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
There's a feeling among some that so many drivers, teams, fans and sponsors want the Candian GP to continue that it's worth a petition to FIA. You can sign the petition at:
www.savethecanadiangrandprix.com

Woody

woodym3
10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
According to the new AutoWeek, the Montreal Mayor, Canada Minister of Public works, and Quebec Tourism Minster returned from a fact-finding meeting with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, and are going to work resolving the issues so a race in 2009 can take place. The cancelled French GP could provide the necessary date for a Montreal GP.

Barry
11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
According to the new AutoWeek, the Montreal Mayor, Canada Minister of Public works, and Quebec Tourism Minster returned from a fact-finding meeting with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, and are going to work resolving the issues so a race in 2009 can take place. The cancelled French GP could provide the necessary date for a Montreal GP.

The 2009 F1 schedule is out and there's no Canadian GP.
My wife and I went to the 2006 and 2008 Canadian races and we were going again in 2009, but now we can't.
Barry